Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extrametrical
Oct 1, 2007
You kids don't know what you want! That's why you're still kids: 'cause you're stupid!
:siren:FLAG NEWS: we've joined Welcome To My Nightmare! Blockades and wars abound!:siren:

Puzzle Pirates is now free to play through Steam. Check to make sure your newly created pirate is on the EMERALD ocean.***

Pillage and plunder with goons in this MMOArrPG (Massively multiplayer online alternate reality role playing game).

It has pirates!
It has puzzles!
It has politics!
It has doubloons. Lots of them.
Also, it's FREE.

YPP has a player-run economy and politics. Crews can join together under a flag, which in turn can take over islands or wage wars against other flags. If you are at war, you can even sink other flags' ships!

It also has an awesome curse filter. You tartes had better get the scupper in our crew before I rip off your John Thomases and jam them up your barrelstoppers like you were a bunch of barnaclety trollops.

:yarr: To get in our crew, The Salty Mouthfuls, you'll need to ask one of the officers in the crew in-game to invite you, AFTER YOU POST YOUR PIRATE NAME HERE. :yarr:

To find an officer in the game type "/cwho the salty mouthfuls", and pick an officer from the resulting list of online crew members.
You can send someone a message by typing "/tell name message"

New pirate goons must have been SA goons for at least one month.

Q and A:

Q. What games are there in this here puzzle pirates?
A. Swordfighting, Bilging, Carpentry, Sail Patching, Sailing, Rigging, Gunnery, Duty Navigation, Battle Navigation, Treasure Hauling, Drinking, Treasure Drop, Hearts, Spades, Poker, Alchemistry, Distilling, Shipwrightery, Blacksmithing, Foraging, Rumbling, and Weaving

Q. Does this game cost money to play? I be a bit light in the pantaloons.
A. No, my good man, you may play all parts of the game for free.
You can buy doubloons for money but it's not necessary because you can make easy money (PoE [pieces of eight]) if you have decent puzzling or poker playing skills. Use your PoE to buy doubloons. Doubloons are kind of a second currency in the game. You pay doubloons to get items that you ordered from shops and stalls delivered to you.

Q. Can I play this game on my wi-fi enabled toaster with optional dual LCD attachment?
A. The game is java based so even our one Bhutan and (gasp) Linux friends can come out and play. Just click the download link and watch the magic. If you are using windows and have trouble with the default installer (where files are installed, etc) try the full installer and read the installation help page.

Q. May we see some of your magnificent portraits?
A. Indeed you may.

Click here for the full 670x585 image.

Q. May we see some of your in-game activities?
A. Indeed you may.

A typical goon shack.

Crew Hall

The Sinister Bass

The Flaming Bass

Q. Where can I download this fantabulous game?
A. Here tartes:

Download the Game Here!
Alternatively, you can play in your browser, or on Steam.***

Q. Where is everyone? I looked you guys up and no one is on! And why did you move again!?
A. First of all, check that you are on the Emerald Ocean. Instructions below are slightly outdated by the ocean merge.

delfin posted:

Further elaboration on WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

* If you have played on Hunter or Malachite and wish to now participate on Sage, you do not need to create a new account, just a new character.

Click here:

and then here:

to shift your ocean of choice, then create a new character as normal.

* Any doubloons on your account will be there for your new character to use. If you are an old salt who bought and used the boxed edition years ago, you will have the option of savvy hat or backsword on your new character as usual. If you don't have that, don't worry about it, it's an indication of a raging neckbeard.

Other stuff that you have on other oceans will not transfer. However, you can sell what you can to other players and then use the Doubloon Exchange to convert the poes to dubs, which you can then use to buy stuff on Sage. On the plus side, a lot of rarities on Malachite cost quite a bit less on Sage where they're a lot more common.

* Since you're creating a new character, your experience and standing in each puzzle will get bumped back to Novice/Able. Not to worry, they're not hard to boost back up, and the Mouthfuls have a number of puzzling idiot savants who will give you useful tips in their puzzles of choice.

* If you've played with us on Malachite and noticed that not much of interest was going on, well, now we're on an ocean with a much higher population. This should make it several orders of magnitude more likely to find interesting things to do like flotillas, Atlantis runs, Cursed Isles runs, blockades, and (mirabile dictu) crew pillages.

Secondly, if no one is on, try again later in the evening, PST.

Thirdly, we moved because Malachite was dying and no one wants to play on a server with only two guys at a poker table on a foraging boat. As for Emerald, we merged Sage and Hunter TSM crews together. Which means if your pirate was dormant in the Hunter crew, you are more than likely now in the merged crew.

Q. I have joined and I am wandering around clueless. What do I do now?
A. Read this wiki article titled Starting Out Tutorial
Also, our officers would be pleased as spiked punch to answer some of your burning questions in-game, although the burning might just be your need for some limes. Arr!

Q. How do I take a ship out to battle?
A. Hotbeard posted a primer for battle navigation. Be aware that you need to have officer ranks before you can actually sail yer ship out to sea!

Q. Where the hell did my one/two/eight year old pirate go? It had all sorts of cool stuff, like a hat!
A. It's possible that it was deleted if you haven't logged on your pirate within a few months. Otherwise you might not have the right ocean selected when you logged in.

Ye olde threade for the sake of yer ancestors

***Disclaimer: I personally have no idea how Steam works.

extrametrical fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alf - Der Film
Oct 24, 2006

We also have access to a Ventrilo channel!
You can ask about that in crew chat.

Talk to goons
Try to get some sexy talk going (we have girls!!!)
Embarrass yourself by singing karaoke songs
Endless possibilities

Join us!

Manchowder
Oct 16, 2006
Grampa's Special Recipe
Finally, an updated thread!

In addition to the aforementioned puzzling, there are a number of us who spend the majority of our time playing cards. If you enjoy Hearts, Spades, or Poker (or need to learn the ropes), you'll be in great company.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

hmmm

Perhaps this will be entertaining.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Real pirates play hearts

Malus
Nov 17, 2006

The dicks ain't biting

Manchowder posted:

Finally, an updated thread!

In addition to the aforementioned puzzling, there are a number of us who spend the majority of our time playing cards. If you enjoy Hearts, Spades, or Poker (or need to learn the ropes), you'll be in great company.

Manchowder is very good at Hearts and Spades and he is a good teacher. He doesn't shout at you very much.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
In as Alkmaar, mighty pirate.

brown_recluse
Jul 19, 2006
Pessimist by policy, optimist by temperament.
I used to play this game ages ago. I was pretty good at sailing and swordfighting. In as Sargasso.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009

extrametrical posted:

New pirate goons must have been SA goons for at least one month.

Why this? Also in as Failbeard, the greatest pirate.

GymnastyThom
Nov 26, 2005
Do you smell something? You know what that reminds me of? That smells like.. vampire shit.
My name is GymnastyThom and I support this thread.

This is a fun game. My name is Bootlegarr. Extrametrica is very nice and TSM are cool.

Thank you.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Sudoku posted:

Why this? Also in as Failbeard, the greatest pirate.

To avoid join-for-guild pubbies, I assume.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
In as Tanreall. I had a pretty good pub where we picked off like 5 ships and made it back to port.

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.
In as Dadchat

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
In as Fiwer. Tried this game in the past but never really got into it, I love the idea of it though so maybe this time I'll play more.

V3N0M1300
Feb 27, 2009

by Ozma
in game as Backhair. Hopefully with goons I'll have a reason to stick around for more than a week.

Antidox
Sep 2, 2006
A
In as Antidox, coming back from a long break, used to be Macnoreson.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

In as Pylons.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Adam Bowen posted:

In as Fiwer. Tried this game in the past but never really got into it, I love the idea of it though so maybe this time I'll play more.

I bet most people these days have no idea. Talk about a blast from the past. I still remember your persona till you revealed it was a gimmick :coolfish:

I played this a few years ago and it also didn't strike me too much. I got to sail on a goon ship and manned the cannons / bilged / worked the sails / did carpentry. I have to admit the sailing was actually quite fun.

Would you say that they have added a lot of puzzle games in the last few years, or is the game pretty much similar to what it used to be?

brown_recluse
Jul 19, 2006
There seems to be a bunch of new puzzles they added since I played last. Rigging, treasure hauling, brawling (which I can't get the hang of). I haven't looked at all the "job" puzzles to see if there's anything new there.

Carrots
Jul 7, 2005
Playing again as Rayzn.

starfish
Dec 21, 2004

Adam Bowen posted:

Yeah so I didn't want to be the person to post in the thread about you but gently caress, it's Mere.
PM me motherfucker.

Also, Puzzle Pirates is awesome. I have a really well "geared" character on Hunter.. so many Grandmasters. I may have to make a new guy on Sage.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
In for my semi-annual try-this-game-again as Hornswaggle.

Bannock
Feb 3, 2008
Rocking the Reservation in Stereo.
In as Bannock, see you all on the high seas

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Arr matey

FunnyFatGuy
Jan 15, 2008
Extra is a jerk and is making me post.

Thaloric
Oct 29, 2005
in as Mcmutton

terrorbeard
Sep 10, 2008
In as terrorbeard.

vampiress
Jul 20, 2004
top story at 6...bloody goth destroying the house of mouse
it's great to see so many interested in ypp. welcome to sage. don't be shy, i was shy at first, but joining vent, i've learned so much and enjoy the game even more.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
In as Mashed.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I don't really understand how to make pirate gold in this game. What's a good way for a new player to make money? The navy doesn't seem to give me very much. Can you make money playing Spades/Hearts? Those are my two favorite card games ever.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Adam Bowen posted:

I don't really understand how to make pirate gold in this game. What's a good way for a new player to make money? The navy doesn't seem to give me very much. Can you make money playing Spades/Hearts? Those are my two favorite card games ever.

Poker seems to be the best way for me at least but people do bet on hearts and spades. If you ever see me on (tanreall) I'd be down to play spades with you.

brown_recluse
Jul 19, 2006
You can also go pillaging with a crew.

vampiress
Jul 20, 2004
top story at 6...bloody goth destroying the house of mouse

Adam Bowen posted:

adam, at first you need to toil a little in the navy. this does 2 things, it raises your skill level, the better you do the more you make. second as your stats improve, you will get on better pillages. Poker and other card games are fun ways of making poes, but you will get more consistent earnings if you go on pillages. in addition to navy and pillys, look for blockades and flotillas. both generally have a higher poe pay than navy.

once you have some poes and convert to dubs, or just bu some dubs, you can look into the badges for parlor games, poker and such, and also bravery which allows you to go on sea monster hunts.

i'm vampje in the game, feel free to reach out when i'm online.

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
We switched servers again? god drat

Uhangi
Feb 18, 2010
I used to play this game all the time a few years ago; owned a owned a Villa and shop from just Spades winnings too. Just made a new account as Aeacus.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

In as Jacada I guess!

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
In as Hatewave!

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

edit: nevermind I fixed it

Keshik fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 24, 2010

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.
TrapdoorRC reporting for swashbuckling adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hankosha
Apr 1, 2008

SISTAS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THEMSELVES
In as Conspicuous.

• Locked thread