Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
LFoD
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

From My Fox DC:

"Woman’s Hand Broken in Alleged Police Brutality Incident in Wheaton posted:

WHEATON, Md - A 65-year-old Wheaton woman is raising strong allegations against the Montgomery County police for excessive force, police brutality and unlawful entry.

Her hand is bandaged and in a cast. The seamstress says Montgomery County Police roughed her up in her own home.

"This guy grabbed my arm and was doing like this. Twisting it like this. I said stop you'll break my arm," said 65-year-old Piera Tundo as she recounts the night she says an officer police broke her hand.

"I never done anything wrong all the years I came from Italy. I never get in trouble to nobody. They come in and treat like a criminal," said Tundo.

"She's fragile. She's never hurt a fly. She never got a ticket. Why are you guys attacking her. It was nerve wracking and it was very scary. Police brutality. Plain and simple," said her son Salvador Rivas.

Rivas says it all started as officers went to their home to serve him with a bench warrant after he failed to show up for court for a misdemeanor offense.

At first, officers in plain clothes allegedly showed up at their door posing as yard workers.

"She answered the door. Some older male and he told her do you need anyone to cut your grass and she said no. He left," said Rivas.

Minutes later her son says he saw more people dressed in dark clothing at the door. This time according to him, they pushed their way inside the home.

Montgomery county police want transparency in such cases and a spokesman says Chief Charles Manger takes all brutality complaints very seriously.

The department already started looking into the complaint even before it was officially filed.

The family says officers never identified themselves and did not produce a warrant until hours later. They thought it was a home invasion.

"In the corner of my eye, I see people running to the door with regular clothes and no uniform. They knock on door. I open it. They barge inside the house. Turn me around and put handcuffs on me," recalls Rivas.

The woman has worked as a seamstress for 40 plus years and was in her sewing room when she heard the ruckus.

Moments later the 5 foot 2 inches woman says she was grabbed by a 6 foot tall officer, twice her size, without warning.

"They weren’t talking just grabbed my arm like animal and they twist and twist. I say stop you'll break my arm. I'm diabetic and old person and you break my bones," said Tundo.

"She doesn’t deserve it. If you coming for me, pull me outside. Be professional take me. Bring her outside. Let her know what's going on. No! It was like a crazy movie,” said Rivas

Now Tundo has a broken hand and will likely be in a cast for weeks. She is terrified.

"You can't trust nobody. I feel so upset. I don't deserve this. I always was a good person all my life. I don't know how I’m going to live. I can't work for a while. I don't know what to do,” said Tundo.

The family says they tried to file a complaint at a police station, but were only given a flyer and told to mail in their complaint.

Montgomery county police say anyone with a complaint can file it at any police station.

If you believe an officer is acting improperly, you can ask to have a supervisor sent to the scene at the time of the incident.

Is this entirely neccessary to manhandle an old woman in such a way? While her only crime was being in a house that was being raided by officers without a warrent looking for someone with an outstanding MISDEMEANOR warrant. Since when do they even do raids for misdemeanor warrants? Isnt that unneccesary? Just flag the guy and pick him up at a traffic stop. What did he do, litter? Just how much resistance can a 65yo diabetic woman put up anyway? Shes lucky she wasnt tased to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

quote:

The family says they tried to file a complaint at a police station, but were only given a flyer and told to mail in their complaint.

Montgomery county police say anyone with a complaint can file it at any police station.

If you believe an officer is acting improperly, you can ask to have a supervisor sent to the scene at the time of the incident.

Oh yea you can't even trust our officers to let you file a brutality complaint, but ask for a super visor and they'll call one no problem!

BrooksCracktackle
Dec 25, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump

Laughing Man posted:

Oh yea you can't even trust our officers to let you file a brutality complaint, but ask for a super visor and they'll call one no problem!

Haha. An Abe Enforcement joke. It feels too much like a meme. You should stop.

Macintyre
May 6, 2006
Slow Rider

Are there any police departments that aren't horribly corrupt anymore?

Caro Ascendant
Jul 10, 2010

by Ozma

Macintyre posted:

Are there any police departments that aren't horribly corrupt anymore?

No. Police officers are also fond of posing as cab drivers and other utility workers. Also food delivery guys. They are not above using these opportunities to plant poo poo. Be very wary or you may fall victim. If you do your laundry outside of your own home make certain that you check every pocket before transporting it back home. Slipping something in with your wash so they can action it later is another old trick. I've successfully intercepted one attempt at this in Austin, TX on August 27, 2005.

Why the gently caress did my life go all Terminator: Salvation on me? Sigh. I will have a complete briefing series ready eventually. It's one of my strategic objectives.

Caro Ascendant fucked around with this message at Jul 20, 2010 around 11:35

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Seriously. This. Again?
i hate you so much

Caro, you're seriously out there man. Your life is like the sequel to Enemy of the State.

Otik
Apr 5, 2005

Psycho log baby

Are American police really as bad as these threads make out, or is it just that America's a huge country with a few bad apples?

Does your media demand sensationalism to the extent that stories reported are told solely from exaggerated accounts from (what can sometimes only dubiously be called) victims?

While we have stories about the police loving up over here in the UK, it usually just comes down to incompetence - as opposed to the malice that the stories from America seem to paint.

N.B. I am not a "police apologist" or whatever I'll be called for asking this, I'm just amazed at the disparity I see between the UK and US on this. I'm also not saying the woman in this case deserved what she got, but I will still reserve judgement until I hear more than just her testimony.

Caro Ascendant
Jul 10, 2010

by Ozma

No Butt Stuff posted:

Caro, you're seriously out there man. Your life is like the sequel to Enemy of the State.

More like 'enemy of the criminal organization that has managed to subvert resources away from the lawful government of the united states of america' but kinda. Not by choice. It's actually quite horrible.

Otik posted:

Are American police really as bad as these threads make out, or is it just that America's a huge country with a few bad apples?

Does your media demand sensationalism to the extent that stories reported are told solely from exaggerated accounts from (what can sometimes only dubiously be called) victims?

While we have stories about the police loving up over here in the UK, it usually just comes down to incompetence - as opposed to the malice that the stories from America seem to paint.

N.B. I am not a "police apologist" or whatever I'll be called for asking this, I'm just amazed at the disparity I see between the UK and US on this. I'm also not saying the woman in this case deserved what she got, but I will still reserve judgement until I hear more than just her testimony.

Clandestine activities aside they have straight up booted in my door twice. Yes, yes they are. The threads are actually somewhat understated. They're far more concerned with the management of crime than they are with actually stopping it. I'm sure that there are good police out there but there is also this large cancerous polyp that you really can't ignore.

Just to remain even handed (or nothing I've been through will matter) the second raid was more measured than the first in terms of their application of force. I went into shock almost instantly and they laughed about the large greeting to law enforcement that I had scrawled out on my whiteboard after the first police raid. I didn't think that would actually see any use but what do you know.

Reading Britcop's accounts of his normal police duties was downright refreshing. Minty, even. Like a soothing spritz of something lemony and nonthreatening while at the same time remaining something that you would respect. I think he's mastered the art of policework without concomitant terrorism. I refuse to flee the United States, however. I'm in it until the end.

Caro Ascendant fucked around with this message at Jul 20, 2010 around 11:49

Illegal Username
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Otik posted:

or is it just that America's a huge country with a few bad apples?
And what was it that the few bad apples do?

Radish
Aug 13, 2003

not so ruff onichan

Otik posted:

The thing about the "few bad apples" idea is that they never finish the sentence. The full saying is "a few bad apples spoil the barrel" and when you keep the corrupt officers on the job either through police unions, negligence or good ol' boy networking the integrity of the entire organization is compromised regardless of how many "nice guys" are there that help save kittens from trees.

Forest Fuckery posted:

Yeah I can't believe people keep saying it like the meaning is "a few bad apples don't affect anything else and can be ignored" or something.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Otik posted:

On the off chance you don't actually know that Caro is batshit insane, no, all American police aren't like that and goddamn the fact that people have to think that they're apologists for thinking so depresses the gently caress out of me.

Caro Ascendant
Jul 10, 2010

by Ozma

Forest Fuckery posted:

The bad apples that I have encountered exhibit large scale organization. They operate collectively at a national level. It's actually extremely alarming. I'm telling the truth.

Otik
Apr 5, 2005

Psycho log baby

Caro Ascendant posted:

More like 'enemy of the criminal organization that has managed to subvert resources away from the lawful government of the united states of america' but kinda. Not by choice. It's actually quite horrible.

Clandestine activities aside they have straight up booted in my door twice. Yes, yes they are. The threads are actually somewhat understated. They're far more concerned with the management of crime than they are with actually stopping it. I'm sure that there are good police out there but there is also this large cancerous polyp that you really can't ignore.

Talking about clandestine activities, sending a plain clothes police office posing as someone else seems like a reasonable way of verifying that someone who may not want to speak to the police is in a house to me.

I find the idea that police are constantly slipping drugs into people's pockets just so they can put them in jail unlikely too. It may have happened, but only rarely, surely?

Why did they kick in your door? They must have received a warrant from a judge for that, right? If the evidence they provided to the judge wasn't strong enough, then maybe the problem is with the judiciary.

As for crime management, it seems like a far more sensible approach to policing than a reactive approach. People complain about CCTV in the UK, but isn't that better than living somewhere with "constant" no-knock entries and drugs being planted on suspects?

EDIT: I interpret "bad apples spoiling the barrel" to mean that the bad apples ruin the barrel as a whole, though the other apples in the barrel aren't necessarily compromised.

Otik fucked around with this message at Jul 20, 2010 around 11:55

plaguedoctor
Jun 26, 2008

I CAN DUMP MY GIRLFRIEND CAUSE SHE'S LIKE A WHORE, RIGHT GUYS? RIGHT???

Otik posted:

Here's a nice video to illustrate to mentality that many American police have.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUkiyBVytRQ

Not all, granted, but there is enough sense of "I'm a cop -- I can do whatever I want" that leads to things like unreasonable search and seizure, assault, or just straight up murder.

See also: BART cop shooting in Oakland

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

LFoD posted:

Moments later the 5 foot 2 inches woman says she was grabbed by a 6 foot tall officer, twice her size, without warning.

Now that's just bad math.

Prester John
Nov 4, 2008

A couple of years ago I worked at a place that traditionally employs a few thousand foreign nationals (college students by and large) during the summer. It was always amusing listening to the foreigners talk about the arrogance and aggression of American police. I remember in particular one Turkish guy I hung out with a few times talking about how police in Turkey would never speak so disrespectfully to people. He said there would be riots if the police in his country did half the poo poo police here do routinely in public.

Elite Einherjar
Dec 1, 2009

Otik posted:

Most of our police a good, law-abiding civil servants. The problem is the few who aren't have a large safety net, the ability to intimidate, and an ignorant population that doesn't know how to enforce their own rights that allows bad behavior to go unquestioned.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

Dammit Caro if the police wanted you dead they would just shoot you and plant heroin on your body.

Caro Ascendant
Jul 10, 2010

by Ozma

Otik posted:

Talking about clandestine activities, sending a plain clothes police office posing as someone else seems like a reasonable way of verifying that someone who may not want to speak to the police is in a house to me.

I find the idea that police are constantly slipping drugs into people's pockets just so they can put them in jail unlikely too. It may have happened, but only rarely, surely?

Why did they kick in your door? They must have received a warrant from a judge for that, right? If the evidence they provided to the judge wasn't strong enough, then maybe the problem is with the judiciary.

As for crime management, it seems like a far more sensible approach to policing than a reactive approach. People complain about CCTV in the UK, but isn't that better than living somewhere with "constant" no-knock entries and drugs being planted on suspects?

No warrant. They bribed a maintenance man to search my place that same day when he came to fix my air conditioning. The unit is located right under the front door. He walked through my entire apartment and actually checked drawers. I had to corral him back by the AC before leaving. He was acting as though he were trying to rob me.

I say that they paid him off because it was his testimony that they called probable cause. He was totally calm and at ease when we parted ways. He was telling me about air conditioners. I saw my bus waiting at the corner so I broke into a run to catch it. They called this, plus the presence of 'electronics' in my home as observed by this maintenance guy, probable cause to enter and search the premesis. The story was that this calm man who asked me no questions about the contents of my home panicked and called the police after I jogged to the bus stop.

In the newspaper story they said that me running at high speed from my apartment coupled with the electronics (I'm an electrical engineer and was in school at the time) was probable cause. On the scene when they were questioning me they said that the equations on my whiteboard were suspicious. They had no probable cause. It was all a giant chunk of horseshit.

When they detained me after I returned from the gym they would not let me contact an attorney. I was also not arrested but held in custody and questioned. At one point in the questioning they employed an assault rifle aimed at my forehead (I was in custody and sitting in a stress position as per their instructions at the time) as a tactic in an effort to ply me.

I was found with ~3.5 grams of Marijuana, and they claimed that they would return to arrest me at some point. They never did, but large scale harassment by undercover began. Over the course of the years since they have basically demolished my entire life. I have been assaulted, threatened with death, have survived attempts on my life, and all kinds of exciting loving poo poo that you wouldn't believe. I'm going to have to live with that. Enough of their poo poo should be provable, however, to at least put a stop to it. I guess that is enough.

dogs named Charlie posted:

Dammit Caro if the police wanted you dead they would just shoot you and plant heroin on your body.

Bullshit. Too many people would notice and think to check into it. Too expensive.

Caro Ascendant fucked around with this message at Jul 20, 2010 around 12:00

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

swampland posted:

Now that's just bad math.

You have to be careful. Apparently 4-5 foot women are really, really good at kicking rear end.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

Caro gets a pizza delivered. He sets the box down on the table and opens it up. It's full of child pornography. Suddenly the front door is smashed open. The police come in firing. As his blood pools on the floor the last thing he sees is the pizza guy flashing his badge.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Caro Ascendant posted:

No. Police officers are also fond of posing as cab drivers and other utility workers. Also food delivery guys. They are not above using these opportunities to plant poo poo. Be very wary or you may fall victim. If you do your laundry outside of your own home make certain that you check every pocket before transporting it back home. Slipping something in with your wash so they can action it later is another old trick. I've successfully intercepted one attempt at this in Austin, TX on August 27, 2005.

Why the gently caress did my life go all Terminator: Salvation on me? Sigh. I will have a complete briefing series ready eventually. It's one of my strategic objectives.

I want to hear the rest of this story.

BrooksCracktackle
Dec 25, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump

Man. Omar is a real enjoyable human being, but when he was on The Wire a black kid picked up a gun and shot him. Like an H L Mencken joke about the President of the United States!

Oh man. The only way you would know if you were a Senator (like the Chief! Or Thief. Or a real member of the Vory v Zakone that actually kills people for the King of England.)

When I went to England a sinister looking dog said "you look out of place, too much like a king. But in your country when you watch the enjoyable human being, you don't see any fires. Just a bunch of Nazis that are human doings."

Singularity speed gay dude style ejaculate in the face of the King of England style jokes: "Everyone has an American uncle if they were just born on the 4th of July like a black person who laughed at slavery when you couldn't tell a joke about funny black people without a clown growing a set of wangs!" - Abraham Lincoln

Edit: Abraham Lincoln. Stop trying to steal my soul Dennis Leary. This is under Abe enforcement. I'm just a regular Kennedy who just got lucky like the Irishman that got to gently caress the Queen of England! He called it "The Aristocrats."

Caro Ascendant
Jul 10, 2010

by Ozma

Dr_Amazing posted:

I want to hear the rest of this story.

It's in my post history. It's several years of incidents so it doesn't condense well. Don't worry, they're nice and verifiable. The initial police raid happened in Austin, TX on July 3rd, 2004 in the vicinity of 45th and Duval.

They didn't just ruin me, but they really messed up the lives of many of my friends. Others joined their cause of their own accord and became ruined for it.

Caro Ascendant fucked around with this message at Jul 20, 2010 around 12:07

BrooksCracktackle
Dec 25, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump

dogs named Charlie posted:

Woof

Sorry my subwoofer was too loud during Woodstock and I can't hear any Bruce Springsteen songs in Canada. Get me Lowtax..................

ON THE INTERNET! I'm dying. I need to go live in Hyannis Port like an average Irishman when he goes to Canada on the internet.

EDIT: I'm going to post a picture of my cock on the internet and show it to the most average girl in the universe! Step away from the joke Abe. It isn't funny anymore, just go to hell man.

And My Fax!
Feb 16, 2008
Fortuna Juvat Audaces

quote:

Also caro please seek help, what possible reason could the police have for killing you specifically or harassing you in general? Why YOU? Seems to me that they would have better/less risky ways of spending their time.

LFoD
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

tell me where to buy shrubberies old lady or i shall knee you second time!

Caro Ascendant
Jul 10, 2010

by Ozma

And My Fax! posted:

Also caro please seek help, what possible reason could the police have for killing you specifically or harassing you in general? Why YOU? Seems to me that they would have better/less risky ways of spending their time.

Figure out why July 3rd, 2004 actually happened and you'll have your answer. Their stated reasons are pretty obviously total horseshit and the evidence of continued operations is undeniable. Robert G. Bradley and Sriram Kalpat and their activities in San Diego concretely demonstrate this.

Please read the post history of my other account 'Caro'. Also check the archives. You're absolutely right. I need to prepare a complete timeline document.

Caro Ascendant fucked around with this message at Jul 20, 2010 around 12:17

Otik
Apr 5, 2005

Psycho log baby

LFoD posted:

tell me where to buy shrubberies old lady or i shall knee you second time!

From your custom title it sounds like she'd be kicking you.

And My Fax! posted:

Twice her size by weight/volume is a reasonable possibility at those heights.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned
me about it.

'Please Officer, don't break my arm!' *SNAP*

'Please Mr Officer, don't kill my dog!' *GUNSHOT*

'Please Mr Officer Sir, don't shoot my kids through windows!' *GLASS BREAKING* *PAUSE TO AIM* *GUNSHOT*

Will you people stop giving those poor policemen the crazy ideas?

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Otik posted:

Twice her size by weight/volume is a reasonable possibility at those heights.

No they have to have bad math and be talking about height! It's not funny if they're not

frozenpeas
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Caro Ascendant posted:

Please read the post history of my other account 'Caro'. You're absolutely right. I need to prepare a complete timeline document.

Everyone read Caro's post history and realise he's actually a paranoid schizophrenic, then we can get back to some good old fashioned outrage.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3318516

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh

frozenpeas posted:

Everyone read Caro's post history and realise he's actually a paranoid schizophrenic, then we can get back to some good old fashioned outrage.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3318516

Why did you abandon your thread about North Korea? If we're going to call people out here lets get the facts on both sides.

Caro Ascendant
Jul 10, 2010

by Ozma

Crap. Thread jamming detected. Sorry guys. I'll do my best. I think I have a good grasp of most of their sneakier bullshit.

Holy Shit
Aug 21, 2007

Elite Einherjar posted:

Most of our police a good, law-abiding civil servants. The problem is the few who aren't have a large safety net, the ability to intimidate, and an ignorant population that doesn't know how to enforce their own rights that allows bad behavior to go unquestioned.

Most of our police will defend the lovely ones and object to laws that increase oversight because it "makes their job harder." So no, they're not good civil servants.

thpook
Jul 29, 2003

squawk

Caro Ascendant posted:

Crap. Thread jamming detected. Sorry guys. I'll do my best. I think I have a good grasp of most of their sneakier bullshit.

If you're not a little old lady with a broken arm, this thread ain't really about you man.

Caro Ascendant
Jul 10, 2010

by Ozma

thpook posted:

If you're not a little old lady with a broken arm, this thread ain't really about you man.

Good point. If you keep people from seeing the bigger picture they might be slower to act towards change.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Otik posted:

EDIT: I interpret "bad apples spoiling the barrel" to mean that the bad apples ruin the barrel as a whole, though the other apples in the barrel aren't necessarily compromised.

When a police department conspires to cover up or whitewash crimes committed by a single "bad apple," that makes every single cop in that department corrupt. Because every one of them could and should have spoken out, and none of them did.

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Ashenai posted:

When a police department conspires to cover up or whitewash crimes committed by a single "bad apple," that makes every single cop in that department corrupt. Because every one of them could and should have spoken out, and none of them did.

But if they fire him he'd get his revenge. Don't any of you watch cop movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertrand Hustle
Apr 29, 2007

thpook posted:

You are attempting to reason with a paranoid schizophrenic. It ain't gonna work. Caro, please, for your own sake, seek psychiatric help.

«2 »