Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

HI!

While I was in Turkey over the summer I collected some incredible Blueschist that I was considering turning into a pendant. I could probably produce a nice cut and polished sample how much would a local jewelry store be expected to finish? The sample seems rather solid and should probably be okay. However after cutting if it should need epoxy impregnation I don't imagine jewelers do that? Otherwise could I show up with a cut and polished slab and ask for a minimalist setting to create a pendant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I finally got the Blueschist I brought back from Turkey cut into cabs. Here is a sample of what I got cut, its a lovely phone picture since I am lacking a good setup to photograph this stuff well.

I got several large ovals cut and made a nice pendant with one, and a giant gaudy ring with the other. Turned out rather well.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Soulex posted:

I have a question about synthetic diamonds. I bought an engagement ring for my (now) wife and it contained 3 synthetic diamonds on it on a silver band. I didn't have a whole lot of money to spend and I ended up talking to the buyer and getting the ring for 300.

We took it to a jeweler and they were not able to tell the difference between the real diamond she had, and the synthetic ones. Are they really that hard to tell the difference from? I understand the diamond market is flooded right now, and most places won't even buy diamonds. I'm just curious if I "got a good deal." The important thing is she loves it. She knows it's not genuine. Despite being 2C+.

Also, what is the difference between Cubic Zirconian and synthetic diamonds?

I can't speak to the price of what you have, or if you got a good deal, however about your fakes and real diamonds. Diamonds are a crystal composed of (ideally) nothing but carbon arranged nicely in a pattern. The Earth creates these with heat and pressure, or a lab creates them with heat and pressure. The end product is, as I understand it, pretty much entirely the same. Although I believe there are still a few tricks left to identifying if a diamond is fake or not, such as exposing it to ultraviolet light. I think the fakes still fluoresce, but maybe the industry has advanced to the point where that no longer happens.

As for Cubic Zirconian and Diamonds. While diamonds are a crystal lattic of just C (carbon) Zirconian is zirconium dioxide (ZrO2). An entirely different mineral. It just so happens that it looks similar to diamond, and was used before the technical challenges of making true carbon synthetic diamonds was achieved.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Kalista posted:

Holy poo poo that is gorgeous

So how do I go about acquiring a copy of that amazing ring you have made?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

If its a meteorite then its an iron band. Imagine wearing an iron band.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

I was reading that certain meteorites will be more rust prone than others and some people have to oil or coat their rings with wax every so often. Did these people just get cheap examples? Is the "good stuff" less resistant to weathering or is rust just a thing you have to deal with?

I'm not sure how you would quantify the good or bad stuff, as either sample would be a meteorite. It is a good question that I am not sure how to answer. Though the sample is likely to be mostly iron it will contain some amount of nickel. I would still guess that even high Ni content meteorites will rust. I would be suspicious if the sample did not oxidize. Maybe they coat some rings in a thin layer of epoxy or something to prevent rusting? Not sure.

Though the really high Ni meteorites do not display Widmanstätten pattern, which is something I would want my ring to display.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

errol _flynn posted:

Can someone tell me a bit about what lab-created is all about? As in, stones like alexandrites, as compared to their natural counterparts? What are they, exactly? I read here they are something like 16K per carat if natural, that blows my mind. Is a lab created stone the same as a synthetic? Is, say... Moissanite (sp?) 'real' if it's grown in a lab instead of over a bazillion years in the earth?

Thanks in advance. I am really girling out on this thread and all the lovely photos.

Lab stuff is taking the elemental ingredients, subjecting them to similar conditions, and creating the proper minerals. This allows control over the process and makes rare natural situations more common.

As an example moissonite doesn't really naturally occur in any abundance. It's usually found naturally as rather small crystals in meteorites. The lab process allows that mineral to appear in jewelery.

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 16, 2012

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

errol _flynn posted:

Soooo...they're 'real'? Or are they like real? That's the part I am sorta of stuck on, ifyouknowwhatImean. I guess they are; they're the same thing, right--just accelerated? Like cultured instead of fake?

(Coming off a two day nastyassed migraine, so my brains is full of around the clock painkillers and triptans, my thinking's fuzzy. I'm hoping I am following you correctly. *sigh*.)

Edit: thanks for the fast reply, this thread is so fascinating and the photos are so loving pretty!

They are real. Same stuff, just made by man instead of by nature.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I have been an avid Moissanite supporter for quite some time now. The stone is just flat out gorgeous. Good buy!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I forgot to post about this a few months ago.

I got a nice lab emerald from Johnnys old goon store, and picked up a few side stones to complete it. I then had Johnny slap it into one of his designs from his webstore. Johnny was great and the ring is absolutely amazing. My GF loves it, and gets complimented on it all the time. Thanks again Johnny!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Luna posted:

I read through the thread and didn't see anything on DIY cutting and polishing, I hope I didn't skip it.

I live in the Smokys, so I have access to an abundance of raw emeralds, garnets and smokey quartz, among other gems. I am considering picking up some cheap lapidary cut and polish equipment and learn to cab some stones. I'm looking at this as a hobby and not something to make money on. What is the learning curve for getting into this? I have a ton of stones that I could ruin in practice and never bat an eye. I do have a couple of real nice emeralds,rubys and garnets I think could actually be something.

Is this too difficult or can an average guy make some decent cabs with a little practice?

Cabs are actually really easy to make and it is definitely something the average guy can do. Check at rock shops in your area, they might host some classes on intro lapidary stuff

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

JohnnyRnR posted:

You're exactly right. Sub-$1,500 is a very difficult price point to hit in fine jewelry that incorporates gold, gemstones, and diamonds. In the last five years the costs of fine quality ruby and emerald have almost doubled. Most manufactures have switched to sterling and semi-precious gems to stick to their old price points.

It used to be that the entry level for fine jewelry made well was $500, but with the current high prices of gemstones that is almost impossible. These days $1,500 is the starting point, and it's tough to get into classic styled pieces (vivid color in top crystal, larger diamond accents) for less than $2,500.

In a not really related note, I got a beautiful lab made emerald from your goon gem store last year for a ring. Where can I get similar lab made emeralds of that quality?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

TheFreshmanWIT posted:

So, I picked up the Emerald cut Ruby engagement ring and gave it to her last night! However, she went to resize it, and it seems that Jared is unable to do it! Apparently the X1 White Gold is harder to resize or something?

Anyone have an idea of someone in the Portland area that could do this? We could go to the "Shane Company" or "Fred Meyer Jeweler", but I figure if Jared cannot, that they won't be able to either.

Try A local jeweler rather then a chain store. I took my X1 in to be re-sized and the local guy was able to do it no problem. Had I taken it to a mall store I would have my doubts they would be able to do it.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Soooo... where do we get our hands on loupes like that?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Moissanite is lab made, so quality should be equal across all the samples. Its just if you like the color better I would imagine?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Get the jeweler to add a ring on one of the two hands on that ring

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Im very jealous of you guys going down to Tucson. I am not in a position to hobby it up down there at the moment Look at some nice stuff for us stuck in this thread!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

It is all of those things but is also a bloodless awesome stone that looks amazing

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Shot in the dark here http://www.hauserandmiller.com/fab/index.html

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

LA Times just did a piece on rare minerals

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-rare-minerals-20160213-story.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I totally understand her not wanting it for an everyday ring, but the colour is amazingly a natural one and pretty mesmerizing.

Yeah so she didn't want it, whats the price? Shoot me a PM if its available

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Would just tell you surface purity pretty sure

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

In case anyone missed it in the news, 75 lb pearl

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

antiga posted:

I suspected the same. Regarding a colored stone, I think she'd be happier wth a clear stone even if it was moissanite. I'm just not thrilled with the very un-romantic conversation of moissanite vs. diamond and shininess-per-$$. Also a bit of a durability concern for moissanite given her line of work

Hi, die hard moissanite fan. Its still a super hard stone, and it looks loving amazing.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

antiga posted:

To be clear, I think it would be great. Just hard to ask that question (she offered up that she didn't care about natural diamond), and we'd have to keep it a secret from family because people are awful.

Moissanite looks like you would expect a diamond to look. Unless they are big diamond enthusiasts or are jewelers they won't know if you don't tell them. That and you might want to keep the stone size small if you are actively trying to fool people about it being a diamond. Its easy to get a huge moissanite.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Something something cummingtonite. Nice stone though!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Pigasus posted:

I've been thinking about starting to facet or cut rough stones as a hobby soon. I am in the Bay Area and I was thinking about going to the Mineral & Gem Society of Castro Valley workshop or the San Francisco Gem & Mineral Society to see if this is something I can do long term before buying the equipment.

Does anyone have any recommendations about what else I should do if I wanted to start out as an amateur lapidary?

I'm actually super interested in this and I'm near the bay area as well

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

JohnnyRnR posted:

Wanted to share something special (and not for sale) that you don't get to see every day.

This is a Chrome Sphene from Skardu, Pakistan. It is the finest example of chromium containing sphene that I've ever seen. Most sphene has a yellowish-green, yellow, or orange note. But in this one the green is pure, and under incandescent or candle light a strong RED pops out of any reflected light. It's amazing. It is the coolest thing to wear at night.

This type of material comes from a single mine high up in the mountings. Conditions are extremely inhospitable so it is only able to run for a couple months per year. But you can see why they still make the effort.

getting some blue balls on these gem photos

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Im looking to land a nice lab ruby, 1/3 of a carat, round cut. What are the preferred purveyors of lab gem stones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Tunicate posted:

That's what, 4 mm? I dunno, but you can probably get one on ebay for fifty cents.

I mean, it's a synthetic corundum, they're pretty interchangeable aside from color. Is there anything in particular that you care about?

EDIT: If you just want a random link, you can get 10 4 mm rubies for 3 dollars + shipping from these guys

Oh hey thanks! I just didn't know where to look and I sort of forget about Ebay. Just some nice Reds to pick up. My better half has her mothers old engagement ring where the diamond was re purposed. Would be a nice fit to get a cool colored gem to replace it.

• Locked thread