Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009
this is from another thread but merits crossposting.

Hardcore Phonography posted:

Not sure if it's been posted already, but here's a write-up by The Nation about BP using convict labor to clean up the spill. It's a 3-page story and too long to quote.

http://www.thenation.com/article/37828/bp-hires-prison-labor-clean-spill-while-coastal-residents-struggle

I wonder what sort of safety gear they get...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009

HidingFromGoro posted:

IN: 25 year sentence for 12 year old Paul Gingerich

A twelve year old in adult prison. Jesus Christ.

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009

brakeless posted:

If I'm allowed hyperbole for the sake of argument, isn't the end state with stuff like this a society of middle and upper class people, whose lives are supported by an underclass that only works while in prison? A slave state based on supposedly modern law.

Am I completely off or what the hell? I think I need to read the whole thread.
Not sure it's hyperbole at all. Already seems like prison labor is a significant chunk of the economy. There's prisoner rental; for example BP saved some change, and got tax breaks, for having convicts clean up beaches after their Gulf spill. There are direct savings; IIRC prisoners produce a huge chunk of US military gear, backpacks and webbing and the like just for starters.

Combine that with removing programs that give people options besides recidivism, combine that with laws written specifically to increase the prison population, and... well...

Here's a link about a law intended to boost prison population by the way.

quote:

They talk how positive this was going to be for the community, the amount of money that we would realize from each prisoner on a daily rate.

• Locked thread