Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«136 »
Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I thought he was a full Mistborn, since he was sick for 16 days instead of one.

I don't remember it very well, but I thought they tested the people who were 'broken' by the mists for misting powers, and the ones that they found didn't have any turned out to be atium mistings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lobsterpillar posted:

I don't remember it very well, but I thought they tested the people who were 'broken' by the mists for misting powers, and the ones that they found didn't have any turned out to be atium mistings.

Yeah, pretty much.

Demoux can't die, though. Dude has meta-level immortality: Brandon promised the real life guy Demoux is a reference to that he wouldn't kill him off

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

Demoux can't die, though. Dude has meta-level immortality: Brandon promised the real life guy Demoux is a reference to that he wouldn't kill him off

Until the real life guy dies, at least. Then, book funeral.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Fair to Midland posted:

All random quotes:

Warbreaker spoilers
“Hello, a cheerful voice said in his mind. Would you like to destroy some evil today?”

I mean we're all adults here, we can roll our eyes at this. I'm not on some brigade against Brandon.. cause he finished WOT and he is a good writer, very good. But holy poo poo his faults are not getting better. I'm not even bringing up his character naming. I've found I completely lose myself (in a good way) in Brandon's writing until either a name comes up or dialog comes up.

Firstly this quote isn't a joke, it's not meant to be funny in even the least degree, it's holy poo poo because It's a semi-retarded sentient sword who likes to kill bad guys and is a total name drop from another book. (though apparently Nightblood is smarter than we've been lead to believe

Secondly I gotta ask how Shallan, Adolin, Kaladin, or Dalinar are any worse than Tyrion, Cersei, Eddard, Rand, Perrin, Egwene, Taran, Elonwy, Ged, or any other fantasy name out there to *such* an extent that it actually damages the story.

treeboy fucked around with this message at Apr 15, 2014 around 18:06

api call girl
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

treeboy posted:

Secondly I gotta ask how Shallan, Adolin, Kaladin, or Dalinar are any worse than Tyrion, Cersei, Eddard, Rand, Perrin, Egwene, Taran, Elonwy, Ged, or any other fantasy name out there to *such* an extent that it actually damages the story.

Apparently because Brandon Sanderson is an anime.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

treeboy posted:

Firstly this quote isn't a joke, it's not meant to be funny in even the least degree, it's holy poo poo because It's a semi-retarded sentient sword who likes to kill bad guys and is a total name drop from another book. (though apparently Nightblood is smarter than we've been lead to believe

And not only that, WB:but it's an insanely powerful sword even compared to shardblades in its own universe, and is now practically bathing in its previously-scarce food. Also it might just be my favorite Sanderson character.

As for the nitpicking, look at every sci-fi/fantasy thread dude. We're all a bunch of nerds trying to pretend we're not that nerd. These arguments are the result of conflicting defense mechanisms. It's static. Getting involved is...

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

My favorite interaction from that particular spoiler from Warbreaker (paraphrasing): Nightblood: "You see those guys over there? They look evil. We should kill them. Let's go kill them!" (Vasher tosses the sword at them instead) NB's receding voice: "Okay well I guess this works too!"

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I've never had a problem with Sanderson's names, other than NewCago. Coming up with fantasy names is not easy unless you're a Tolkien level sperglord with writing back history and figuring out how names would be constructed in that world. Robert Jordan had so many names that, between books, I forgot who was who, and got 3 characters who were all women channelers confused and had no idea what was going on between chapters. Consider these 4 women from the Wheel of Time: Shana, Shanal, Shanan, Shanelle. It is very difficult to keep those straight, especially over 14 books and 20 years.

Sanderson at least keeps his names internally consistent. Nothing weird like the Sword of Truth having a character named Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander hanging out with a guy named Richard, fighting a guy named Darken.

BananaNutkins
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Here's a link to chapters 1-3 of Dragonsteel, as well as some of Brandon's other unpublished stuff:

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topi...ublished-books/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Hockey is a game of love, man.

Kruller posted:

I've never had a problem with Sanderson's names, other than NewCago. Coming up with fantasy names is not easy unless you're a Tolkien level sperglord with writing back history and figuring out how names would be constructed in that world. Robert Jordan had so many names that, between books, I forgot who was who, and got 3 characters who were all women channelers confused

This is understandable simply on the basis of most of his female characters being the same intolerable person.

«136 »