Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«156 »
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

I'm still holding out hope that The Lopen turns out to be the hero of the whole goddamn thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Sanderson has said that the second half of the series would follow different characters. You may get your wish.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nothing stops this train. We're just getting started.

Grundulum posted:

Sanderson has said that the second half of the series would follow different characters. You may get your wish.

If some/all of the interlude characters don't end up as main characters in the later books I'd be surprised. Especially since at least one of them appears to be of a different order than any of the people around Kaladin.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

If some/all of the interlude characters don't end up as main characters in the later books I'd be surprised. Especially since at least one of them appears to be of a different order than any of the people around Kaladin.

I think Lift and Renarin are each going to be the focus of one of the Second Set books.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

From what I've heard, Brandon's considering

Lift, Renarin, Rysn, Jasnah, maybe Kaladin, and maybe Taln

but isn't totally fixed on them yet.

Holy_Zarquon
Oct 2, 2004

His allegiance lies with the monarchy!

Tunicate posted:

From what I've heard, Brandon's considering

Lift, Renarin, Rysn, Jasnah, maybe Kaladin, and maybe Taln

but isn't totally fixed on them yet.

Eshonai (sp?) as well i think? or was she going to be in the first five... I remember something about that from the signing I went to.

senae
Apr 3, 2010

Holy_Zarquon posted:

Eshonai (sp?) as well i think? or was she going to be in the first five... I remember something about that from the signing I went to.

IIRC, she'll be a regular POV character in the next book, and the primary POV character in the book after, but I could be misremembering.

Holy_Zarquon
Oct 2, 2004

senae posted:

IIRC, she'll be a regular POV character in the next book, and the primary POV character in the book after, but I could be misremembering.

Just checked the wiki, and it looks like you are spot on with this.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

So Eshonai is basically Marsh, right?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
If you're a chick and get the reference, email me.

I'm thinking about checking out Elantris? Any good? It's been a little rough reading his pre-Stormlight stuff.

Holy_Zarquon
Oct 2, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm thinking about checking out Elantris? Any good? It's been a little rough reading his pre-Stormlight stuff.

I enjoyed it, but I'm really really not picky. It's definitely weaker than his other stuff, but I would recommend giving it a try.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

It's obviously his first book, and the first third is REALLY slow. But the avalanche at the end is terrific fun.

senae
Apr 3, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Elantris is all right, but it's the roughest that reading Sanderson gets (excepting his unpublished books). He sticks to a strict POV rotation between his characters, where each chapter is told from the POV of the next in line which... doesn't work. If he was writing it now it might be better, but the three characters are basically "talentless privileged Vin", "really dull Elend (but with some neat magic)" and "battle-monk Sazed".

It's not the worst book in the world, but don't go expecting it to be as good as his other novels.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

senae posted:

Elantris is all right, but it's the roughest that reading Sanderson gets (excepting his unpublished books). He sticks to a strict POV rotation between his characters, where each chapter is told from the POV of the next in line which... doesn't work. If he was writing it now it might be better, but the three characters are basically "talentless privileged Vin", "really dull Elend (but with some neat magic)" and "battle-monk Sazed".

It's not the worst book in the world, but don't go expecting it to be as good as his other novels.

Hrathren is loving awesome. Everyone else is really hit or miss.

Holy_Zarquon
Oct 2, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Hey sule, don't forget about Galladon, kolo?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Hrathen is written like a more aggressive Mormon missionary from the early days of the church.

Yarrbossa
Mar 18, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

I'll second this. I didn't really appreciate him until near the end of the book and when I look back only Hrathen and Galladon stand out in my mind.

Sort of general cosmos spoiler: Plus doesn't Galladon make an appearance in Stormlight Archives in an interlude?

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

I rather liked the male protagonist of the three in Elantris, but I'm a sucker for stories about hope in a hopeless place. I devour that kind of story. I guess it's one of the reasons I like Sanderson in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Yarrbossa posted:

Sort of general cosmos spoiler: Plus doesn't Galladon make an appearance in Stormlight Archives in an interlude?
Yeah he's one of the dudes wandering around the Purelake, I think looking for Hoid/Wit.

«156 »