Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
I seem to recall it being mentioned, but what are the connections between Sanderson's books? Are there connections between the Mistborn world and Stormlight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

No direct ones, but there are probably a couple kandra lurking in the shadows.

and hoid uses emotional allomancy on shallan's dad once

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Levitate posted:

I seem to recall it being mentioned, but what are the connections between Sanderson's books? Are there connections between the Mistborn world and Stormlight?

They're all set in the same universe on different worlds.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Levitate posted:

http://coppermind.net/wiki/Cosmere

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Levitate posted:

We're currently in the 'Marvel Phase 1' stage of Sanderson's books, where instead of "Thor 1" or "Captain America 1" you have Mistborn and the Stormlight Archives and his other series (minus a few non-connects).

Eventually we'll get to the big tie-together and I'll have to spend a year rereading everything beforehand to remember who is who and what is what.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Levitate posted:

A long time ago there was a God (in the Yahweh sense) that shattered into a bunch of pieces ( I don't remember the number but around a dozen I think); each of those pieces had a magic superpower, and people that interacted with them became Gods themselves (in the Zeus sense).

Ruin & Preservation were two of those pieces (known as "shards").

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
Gonna guess 16 of them.

Mistborn was pretty decent but "hat trick" may be something I can't let slide despite my earlier comments

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hat trick?

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Levitate posted:

Gonna guess 16 of them.

Mistborn was pretty decent but "hat trick" may be something I can't let slide despite my earlier comments

http://brandonsanderson.com/annotation-mistborn-3-chapter-twenty-eight/

Brandon Sanderson posted:

Homicidal Hat Trick

My editor tried very hard to get me to cut the “homicidal hat trick” line. Not because it wasn’t clever, but because he felt it was anachronistic, as the phrase is commonly a metaphor for some quite modern sports. However, I was able to prove via Wikipedia (which is infallible) that the term was used as early as the nineteenth century and didn’t always refer to sports, but to three wins in a row in even simple games of chance. So, grudgingly, he let me keep it.

I love the line because of the way that little section harks back to the old Elend. He’s still in there, hidden behind the emperor-at-war exterior. The old Elend could be clever and awkward at the same time, just like he is here when he tries to make a point to Vin but comes dangerously close to an insult instead. That’s the same guy as the one who would, while standing on the balcony at a party, compliment a lady and then immediately turn back to his book and ignore her.

Justification aside, it still reads pretty anachronistic.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

It's fantasy book, not historical fiction though.. Aren't all English words and phrases anachronistic in a fantasy world then?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

mallamp posted:

It's fantasy book, not historical fiction though.. Aren't all English words and phrases anachronistic in a fantasy world then?

That's always been my understanding of it, but I know some people love to debate stuff like this. I guess I cant find fault if it breaks your immersion, I'm sure I have equally silly things that break mine. :shrug:

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I'm just comfortable with the idea that anything I read in a fantasy novel is supposedly "translated" for me, and as such I don't mind a colloquial translation, especially when trying to convey mood or feeling. (I loved Lift's awesomeness, for example)

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I think thats also the angle Lord of the Rings was selling, right? That it's a translation of the "Red Book of Westmarch" or something?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Iunnrais posted:

I'm just comfortable with the idea that anything I read in a fantasy novel is supposedly "translated" for me, and as such I don't mind a colloquial translation, especially when trying to convey mood or feeling. (I loved Lift's awesomeness, for example)

Personally I'm more on your side that there's quite a lot I'm willing to forgive in terms of language usage but I think the hat trick part shows that some things are going to read to people as 'anachronistic' in the sense that they're informal, slangly aspects of our language. The thing is what this is exactly is pretty individual and the actual etymology or usage of the language isn't going to change how someone reacts to it. Sanderson may be able to prove that hat trick is, in actual fact, a pretty old and generic term but if a reader associates it with football goals then it's going to be jarring to them. Which is really why I don't think writers should let how people feel about that kind of stuff bother them too much, having a drink called Champagne in your fantasy world is going to be very jarring for some readers but it also lets you convey all the social and economic connotations that that beverage has in a single word rather than writing a whole footnote about how expensive and exclusive this drink is. That said the Locke Lamora books do, IMO, a really good job of the latter making the history and nature of those kind of products interesting in themselves. I'm not sure Sanderson's style lends itself to that kind of exposition though and I'd rather see a few real world terms than half a paragraph on the production history of this rare wine.

It comes down to whether the jarring real-worldiness of a word or phrase outweighs the potential explanatory dialogue or similar that you might want to use to capture the same feeling. Like Lift, throwing in that kind of childish over the top language does a good job of characterising her immediately for the reader, even if it starts to grate pretty quickly for some (myself included). Where the line lies with the words, as I said, is very personal though. Why is talking about Champagne unacceptable but people don't bat an eye at people drinking wine or ale? Do they have grapes in this world?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

MrNemo posted:

It comes down to whether the jarring real-worldiness of a word or phrase outweighs the potential explanatory dialogue or similar that you might want to use to capture the same feeling. Like Lift, throwing in that kind of childish over the top language does a good job of characterising her immediately for the reader, even if it starts to grate pretty quickly for some (myself included). Where the line lies with the words, as I said, is very personal though. Why is talking about Champagne unacceptable but people don't bat an eye at people drinking wine or ale? Do they have grapes in this world?

Here's what it is for me. If Elend says ' I just scored a homicidal hat trick!' (I've forgotten the actual line) or Lift says 'I'll just use my Awesome!' then that's fine. If Sanderson writes, from the narrative perspective 'Lift used her Awesome to slide up the wall just like a cartoon character!!!!' it's really jarring. There should be a tonal difference between the narrator/descriptive text and the words that the characters are saying, otherwise it just doesn't work for me. The tone of the Lift chapter was grating because it seemed like Sanderson was laughing at his own joke, rather than developing a childish character.

Anachronisms and such are absolutely fine, and inside character speech, are great if they're colloquial like the term 'hat trick'. But there should be a shift there to separate the writer from the story in a way, at least for me.

Genuine Fake
Oct 2, 2004

Captain Monkey posted:

Here's what it is for me. If Elend says ' I just scored a homicidal hat trick!' (I've forgotten the actual line) or Lift says 'I'll just use my Awesome!' then that's fine. If Sanderson writes, from the narrative perspective 'Lift used her Awesome to slide up the wall just like a cartoon character!!!!' it's really jarring. There should be a tonal difference between the narrator/descriptive text and the words that the characters are saying, otherwise it just doesn't work for me. The tone of the Lift chapter was grating because it seemed like Sanderson was laughing at his own joke, rather than developing a childish character.

Anachronisms and such are absolutely fine, and inside character speech, are great if they're colloquial like the term 'hat trick'. But there should be a shift there to separate the writer from the story in a way, at least for me.

But there is obviously a tonal change in the narrator/narrative depending on which character the focus is on. I think the story would lose something if that was taken away.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
Yeah, Brandon uses third person limited pretty much exclusively. That means narration is in the voice of the currently focused character, and excludes details they're unaware of. I see no issues putting anything that'd be OK in speech in that narration.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It's just a stylistic preference, I dislike the hard switch in the narrative voice, you guys don't. It's not bad, it's just why I, personally, do not enjoy the Lift chapter and sometimes hated Elend's chapters.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Captain Monkey posted:

It's just a stylistic preference, I dislike the hard switch in the narrative voice, you guys don't. It's not bad, it's just why I, personally, do not enjoy the Lift chapter and sometimes hated Elend's chapters.

Ah, fair enough. I myself find first person present tense to be insufferable, so I can see how certain styles can get under people's skin.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Lift chapter was better YA than Reckoners series, would've loved that stuff as 13 year old. Thankfully I'm mentally 13 years old so I enjoyed it even now.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Now I'm asking myself what would happen if the world-walkers from Charles Stross' The Merchant Prince series suddenly stumble into those worlds.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Libluini posted:

Now I'm asking myself what would happen if the world-walkers from Charles Stross' The Merchant Prince series suddenly stumble into those worlds.

God, what a poo poo ending to a series.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

rafikki posted:

I think he's doing more. I also felt them get pretty forced and less good, but early on it was a solid couple of books

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:
Im about a month late but I just read through perfect state, and god drat that was a good read. The ending was such an emotional whiplash.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Captain Monkey posted:

For me, the mannerisms have to be consistent. Not necessarily consistent across characters (they can hail from opposite sides of the world after all, though people from the same communities should probably use the same mannerisms), but internally consistent. If someone speaks in full, flowery sentences full of thous and mayhapses and such, they should not drop a "yo dawg" 3 books in. I could buy Lift and her awesomeness; she wasn't my favorite character and it wasn't my favorite part of the book, but she was a young girl fending for herself and full of energy and a special ability that, as far as she knew, nobody else had. Okay, fine (Please don't run it into the ground, Sanderson, I know you want to).

The most outstanding example of a jarring dialogue inconsistency for me was in Towers of Midnight (I think, may have been AMoL), where Min insults Rand, he tells her he could do with less of that, and she says, "Life's tough, isn't it?" The phrase itself seems innocuous, but it's just so flip, it feels wildly out of place compared to the way everyone talks in that world. There were other indications that the last books weren't written by the original author, but for me that one was a flashing neon sign.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Che Delilas posted:

I could buy Lift and her awesomeness; she wasn't my favorite character and it wasn't my favorite part of the book, but she was a young girl fending for herself and full of energy and a special ability that, as far as she knew, nobody else had. Okay, fine (Please don't run it into the ground, Sanderson, I know you want to).

I wouldn't worry about that. Lift reminds me of Vin's early chapters, where she thinks her power is Luck.

But I completely agree with you, consistency is king and what you should strive for more then anything else.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

rafikki posted:

gently caress, now I'm afraid to pick up the last book. (I stopped after book 5 for some reason. Reading fatigue, I guess.)

Genuine Fake
Oct 2, 2004

Thyrork posted:

I wouldn't worry about that. Lift reminds me of Vin's early chapters, where she thinks her power is Luck.

Agreed. We might see Lift in other interlude chapters, but by the time she is a main character years will have passed in the books.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It wont be that long actually, I assume he'll write a SA book every 2 years so we should see some more of Lift's awesomeness this century!

I know some of us have been hurt by the Gurm, but Brandon wont let us down like that.

Genuine Fake
Oct 2, 2004

Tahirovic posted:

It wont be that long actually, I assume he'll write a SA book every 2 years so we should see some more of Lift's awesomeness this century!

I know some of us have been hurt by the Gurm, but Brandon wont let us down like that.

Oh I meant in the books themselves. We might see kid Lift in interlude chapters of the next 3 books, but she won't be a main character until books 6-10, and if I remember correctly there is supposed to be a time jump between books 5 and 6.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

During that timejump internet will be invented and books 6-10 will have Lift yelling memes

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Trully, is that much worse then our dear colour-expression spouting weapons master? After all, her Meme's would be in-universe ones. :haw:

mewse
May 2, 2006

mallamp posted:

During that timejump internet will be invented and books 6-10 will have Lift yelling memes

Awesome

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

mallamp posted:

Stormlight Archives, book 8, page 743 posted:

"Imma chargan ma awesome!" Lift shouted, through a mouth of half chewed pizza rolls.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I've been on a Sanderson kick lately, after finally getting to the end of WoT, I tore through the first Mistborn trilogy and just finished Words of Radiance. Definitely enjoyed that Lift interlude, sucks to be you if you hate awesomeness, I guess. Not sure if I should move on to Alloy of Law yet, or wait until the fall when the next book is supposed to come out. I know Brandon's a machine, but I know there's a long way to go for the rest of Stormlight, and I'm not sure I want to be waiting on two series at once. At least he gives us satisfyingly epic endings to each individual book, which is more than I can say for GRRM or Jordan. Maybe I just need to step away from the serial fantasy for a while, and read some quality stand alone fiction by dead authors.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shovelmint posted:

I've been on a Sanderson kick lately, after finally getting to the end of WoT, I tore through the first Mistborn trilogy and just finished Words of Radiance. Definitely enjoyed that Lift interlude, sucks to be you if you hate awesomeness, I guess. Not sure if I should move on to Alloy of Law yet, or wait until the fall when the next book is supposed to come out. I know Brandon's a machine, but I know there's a long way to go for the rest of Stormlight, and I'm not sure I want to be waiting on two series at once. At least he gives us satisfyingly epic endings to each individual book, which is more than I can say for GRRM or Jordan. Maybe I just need to step away from the serial fantasy for a while, and read some quality stand alone fiction by dead authors.

Well, remember that Alloy is going to get two sequels within a couple months, but those are 1 and 2 of a split off trilogy.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Shovelmint posted:

Lift really is one of the best parts of that book, partially because it's something different and funny and partially because it seems to trigger people's autism.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Tunicate posted:

Well, remember that Alloy is going to get two sequels within a couple months, but those are 1 and 2 of a split off trilogy.

What? It's not even 5 & 6? So when is the actual 5th main storyline Mistborn book coming?

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Shovelmint posted:

What? It's not even 5 & 6? So when is the actual 5th main storyline Mistborn book coming?

Alloy isn't even the fourth. The Alloy series is in between the first two trilogies in the mistborn trilogy trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Alloy isn't main storyline either.

Basically Brandon liked Alloy's era so much (after accidentally writing Alloy on a long flight) he decided to write a followup trilogy to alloy. But since book 1 wasn't working well, he wrote book 2 to get the creative juices flowing.

Didn't tell anyone that, just said he was working on book 1 and silently attached book 2 when he emailed the final draft to his editor.