Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

Wait, so Alloy of Law is standalone? I was hoping to get more of Wax and Co. I loved that book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Bullio posted:

Wait, so Alloy of Law is standalone? I was hoping to get more of Wax and Co. I loved that book.

He's said he might do another standalone mistborn book, but whether it would focus on wax & co or some other group of characters or even another time period is undecided.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yeah, it's standalone, but he threw in some obvious sequel hooks at the end.

Who knows, he might get bored on a 30-minute plane ride and write the sequel.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Everybody check out Samsung's new laptop.
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP900X3A-A03US

Brandon tweeted this earlier, for the mistborn with a day job.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
If you're ever in trouble, you can just eat your laptop.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

If you're ever in trouble, you can just eat your laptop.

And then eat something else metal and useful.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 24, 2012

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

arioch posted:

And then eat something else metal and useful.

Carry a gun with steel bullets, you can fire one down your throat and it'll get to your stomach even faster.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Bullio posted:

Presumably, the sequel hooks will lead into the second Mistborn trilogy - offhand, I'd guess that the evil plan that was revealed at the end will come to fruition a few generations later (which makes sense, considering what it involved) - just in time for an 'urban' trilogy. I wouldn't be surprised if Wax tries to form some sort of organization or group to stop them, which may linger around during that time

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 24, 2012

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Its Kelsier vs some loser from the Hunger Games in this year's Suvudu cage match.

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2012/03/cage-match-2012-round-1-kelsier-versus-gale-hawthorne.html

This match would last all of 5 seconds...

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Its Kelsier vs some loser from the Hunger Games in this year's Suvudu cage match.

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2012/03/cage-match-2012-round-1-kelsier-versus-gale-hawthorne.html

Not even a second. That was a good read though!

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!

Cartoon Man posted:

With my wife being a huge Hunger Games fan, that make me chuckle. Thanks!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Hunger Game was pretty good but that's not even a remotely fair fight.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer
How does Warbreaker stand up against Sanderson's other books? Just finished Elantris and to be honest it was a struggle. I just didn't really care about any of the characters apart from the gyorn. I actually put the book down for like a week because I hated whenever Sarene's twin cousins showed up. Luckily they didn't appear again after that part in the book. :haw: Everything else Sanderson's written has been great though!

Soo I'm wondering if Warbreaker is more Mistborn quality or Elantris quality?

Calexio fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 13, 2012

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Calexio posted:

How does Warbreaker stand up against Sanderson's other books? Just finished Elantris and to be honest it was a struggle. I just didn't really care about any of the characters apart from the gyorn. I actually put the book down for like a week because I hated whenever Sarene's twin cousins showed up. Luckily they didn't appear again after that part in the book. :haw: Everything else Sanderson's written has been great though!

Soo I'm wondering if Warbreaker is more Mistborn quality or Elantris quality?

Between the two.

It's free on his website though .

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!

IRQ posted:

The Hunger Game was pretty good but that's not even a remotely fair fight.

Really, other than stuff in Sanderson's universe, what would be a good match for Kelsier?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

This Post Sucks posted:

Really, other than stuff in Sanderson's universe, what would be a good match for Kelsier?

A jedi, Superman, or Goku.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

This Post Sucks posted:

Kung fu Magneto

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

This Post Sucks posted:

Anomander Rake from Malazan.

Honestly there are a couple of hilariously overpowered compared to the rest of the characters choices in this.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I posted the best one in the WOT thread, Moirane vs Tarzan.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

omnibobb posted:

Kung fu Magneto

That scene in the plastic prison of Magneto breaking out with just iron from a man's blood is pretty much what Kelsier would be like.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

arioch posted:

That scene in the plastic prison of Magneto breaking out with just iron from a man's blood is pretty much what Kelsier would be like.

On a bad day.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Except you can't affect metal in another person's body.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Brandon tweeted that the novella called Legion that he wrote for Subterranean Press is now available for preorder. No release date yet. There will be an ebook version at release in addition to the hardback versions.

http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=sanderson01&Category_Code=PRE&Product_Count=28

Subterranean Press posted:

Stephen Leeds, AKA “Legion,” is a man whose unique mental condition allows him to generate a multitude of personae: hallucinatory entities with a wide variety of personal characteristics and a vast array of highly specialized skills. As the story begins, Leeds and his “aspects” are drawn into the search for the missing Balubal Razon, inventor of a camera whose astonishing properties could alter our understanding of human history and change the very structure of society. The action ranges from the familiar environs of America to the ancient, divided city of Jerusalem. Along the way, Sanderson touches on a formidable assortment of complex questions: the nature of time, the mysteries of the human mind, the potential uses of technology, and the volatile connection between politics and faith. Resonant, intelligent, and thoroughly absorbing, Legion is a provocative entertainment from a writer of great originality and seemingly limitless gifts

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
The e-book thing is cool, but I'm not sure where he's getting the "pre-orders are now open" thing. I pre-ordered it back in January when it was first announced. :confused:

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
They're open now. They were open then too, and they're open now.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Maytag posted:

Pretty sure your can if you try hard enough, use duralumin, is aided by god-mist, etc. Wasn't that how Vin ripped off those bracelets from the Lord Ruler even though it was pretty much attached to his body as implants?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Algid posted:

Pretty sure your can if you try hard enough, use duralumin, is aided by god-mist, etc. Wasn't that how Vin ripped off those bracelets from the Lord Ruler even though it was pretty much attached to his body as implants?

Kelsier was never able to do it, so that's fair enough. But he had the kind of fine control that no one else could match, maybe not even Vin.

Ashendar
Oct 19, 2011

Just finished Alloy of Law. And so far so good, liked a lot of references to original trilogy. Especially "high emperial" speech made me chuckle.

But i read original like 2 maybe 3 years ago and there is one reference/name that i didnt get. Who the hell is Trell?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Maytag posted:

They're open now. They were open then too, and they're open now.

Yeah, I just realized that I misread his tweet. He was trying to say that he turned in the proofs and that a release date should be announced soon, and oh by the way you can preorder it too.

It kinda makes you wonder what other secret projects he's working on in between working the AMOL draft. He said that he's contracted to finish at least one more Alcatraz book, so I'm guessing he's probably cranking that out now while he's got down time. The Rithmatist (formerly Scribbler) was supposed to be mostly done so he could be cranking that out too. He's got a flight to Atlanta for the upcoming Jordancon, so thats at least 1 or 2 more books...

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Maytag posted:

That applies to people burning metals, not to Magneto, duh.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Algid posted:

More a factor I think, of embedded metal being resistable, likely similar to Koloss and Inquisitors being resistant to mental Pushes and Pulls. I figure first generation allomancers could probably have done it, but later generations needed duralumin or god-mist to pull it off.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition
So I just finished the first 2 books in the Mistborn trilogy, I'm torn on weather or not to get the third, the second ends on such a down note and is a pretty depressing book throughout that I'm not sure I want to sit through what would likely be 3/4ths more making GBS threads on characters I like before it all works out in the end, should I get the third or not?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SageSepth posted:

So I just finished the first 2 books in the Mistborn trilogy, I'm torn on weather or not to get the third, the second ends on such a down note and is a pretty depressing book throughout that I'm not sure I want to sit through what would likely be 3/4ths more making GBS threads on characters I like before it all works out in the end, should I get the third or not?

Yes, definitely get it. It shits on all the characters some more, but there's some goddamn good twists coming your way that you probably did not see coming at all.

And the ending kicks all sorts of rear end, even though it pretty much shits on everybody.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
I will hunt you down and punch you if you don't read the third book.

Read the third book!!!

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

SageSepth posted:

Don't get it. Read Way of Kings instead. Only the first Mistborn book was really good. The next two just kind of treaded water for me. I'm a huge Sanderson fan, but if book two didn't grab you, you'll probably hate book three.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

Don't listen to that guy.

If book two didn't grab you, that's because it was the weakest book. Read book three.

It's not like you're gonna read one more book and die (probably). Read Way of Kings after.

I just read your posts in this thread BananaNutkins, your favorite DT book is Wizard and Glass. The correct order is 1 2 3 4 7 6 5

Alloy of Law was kinda mediocre.

Maytag fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 16, 2012

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Maytag posted:

Don't listen to that guy.

If book two didn't grab you, that's because it was the weakest book. Read book three.

I agree that book two was the weakest of the three, go get book three now, and then read Allow of Law afterwards.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kwyndig posted:

I agree that book two was the weakest of the three, go get book three now, and then read Allow of Law afterwards.

This is the right thing to do.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I agree with that one guy. I loved the first Mistborn (and REALLY loved Way of Kings) but books 2 and 3 weren't anywhere near as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

syphon posted:

I agree with that one guy. I loved the first Mistborn (and REALLY loved Way of Kings) but books 2 and 3 weren't anywhere near as good.

I thought Book 2 took a very long time to get anywhere, but that ending was Red Wedding worthy in how awesome it was. Then book 3 took a while to get off the ground and a lot of the book was just sieging but once they got out of that it was pretty cool.