Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackKnight
May 10, 2014

Tres'Tria

Captain Mog posted:

He is so good at the fantasy thing that he makes me feel like tossing in my writing towel and giving up. His books aren't fine literature or anything but they're about the most fun you can have reading a book ever IMO, right up there with King and Gaiman. HBO did such a good job with GoT that I'd about have a heart attack if I heard they were adapting Mistborn or Way of Kings.

I actually like Sanderson much better than Martin but don't tell a soul

I have heard that Mistborn will continue for two more books in the wild west era, and then will go on for three more in space. I can't wait to see how it works out in space. :-D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JackKnight posted:

I have heard that Mistborn will continue for two more books in the wild west era, and then will go on for three more in space. I can't wait to see how it works out in space. :-D

Two more in wild west, then three in 1980s era urban fantasy, then three in space.

JackKnight
May 10, 2014

Tres'Tria

Tunicate posted:

Two more in wild west, then three in 1980s era urban fantasy, then three in space.

Even better, I hadn't heard that.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

JackKnight posted:

Even better, I hadn't heard that.

The Alloy of Law book was originally meant to be a one-off, and has since been extended into more books.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Read Steelheart. Liked it.

The Sanderson-style personalized swears did strike me as a bit more...conspicuous, due to the book's earth-based setting.
An occasional, heartfelt scheisse or something wouldn't have hurt my reading experience. If only to reduce the feeling that I'm missing some cultural cues whenever people start cussing.

JackKnight
May 10, 2014

Tres'Tria

Hawgh posted:

Read Steelheart. Liked it.

The Sanderson-style personalized swears did strike me as a bit more...conspicuous, due to the book's earth-based setting.
An occasional, heartfelt scheisse or something wouldn't have hurt my reading experience. If only to reduce the feeling that I'm missing some cultural cues whenever people start cussing.

I liked Steelheart, but it was definitely not his best, IMHO. The big reveals seemed a bit contrived to me. That said, I am looking forward to the next one in the series (its coming out soon!), now that a lot of the initial character development is out of the way.

Don't read this spoiler if you don't like seeing potential plot holes you didn't see the first time through:
If the lack of fear is his weakness, how can he destroy anything inanimate (like a building) with super strength? He doesn't fear himself, so how does he maintain his invulnerability?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

JackKnight posted:

I liked Steelheart, but it was definitely not his best, IMHO. The big reveals seemed a bit contrived to me. That said, I am looking forward to the next one in the series (its coming out soon!), now that a lot of the initial character development is out of the way.

Don't read this spoiler if you don't like seeing potential plot holes you didn't see the first time through:
If the lack of fear is his weakness, how can he destroy anything inanimate (like a building) with super strength? He doesn't fear himself, so how does he maintain his invulnerability?

I thought it was only someone who doesn't fear him can hurt him not that his powers only work on someone (or thing) that doesn't fear him. He doesn't fear himself so thats how they tricked him into killing himself.

JackKnight
May 10, 2014

Tres'Tria

omnibobb posted:

I thought it was only someone who doesn't fear him can hurt him not that his powers only work on someone (or thing) that doesn't fear him. He doesn't fear himself so thats how they tricked him into killing himself.

That's not what I meant. He can't do anything with super strength unless he is fighting with someone who fears him. Which means he can't smash through several floors of a bank. :-)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

JackKnight posted:

That's not what I meant. He can't do anything with super strength unless he is fighting with someone who fears him. Which means he can't smash through several floors of a bank. :-)

That's not true.

It's only his invulnerability that is affected by his weakness. His other powers aren't affected.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

JackKnight posted:

I don't remember it that way he is just not invulnerable against someone that does not fear him. I think he can still use his powers.

Genuine Fake
Oct 2, 2004

JackKnight posted:

Where are you getting that from? It's been a bit since I read the book, but from what I remember (and what I can find looking at synopsis'), his power isn't conditional, only his weakness is. I'm not sure why you think he can't use his super strength unless he's fighting someone who fears him...

e:fb

JackKnight
May 10, 2014

Tres'Tria

subx posted:

I don't remember it that way he is just not invulnerable against someone that does not fear him. I think he can still use his powers.

He can't do anything that could harm himself. Otherwise he would not have died when he clicked the pen detonator. David feared him, so he couldn't hurt him, so it was all about steelheart hurting himself, which means he doesn't have invulnerability when he shaves, or smashes through a building. He only has invulnerability when he is either attacking or defending against someone who fears him. Of course, it's possible he used his elemental powers to smash the building before his body got there so he can look like he flies through several floors unscathed. He seemed to like using sleight of hand.

JackKnight
May 10, 2014

Tres'Tria

Holy_Zarquon posted:

Where are you getting that from? It's been a bit since I read the book, but from what I remember (and what I can find looking at synopsis'), his power isn't conditional, only his weakness is. I'm not sure why you think he can't use his super strength unless he's fighting someone who fears him...

e:fb

No, I'm talking about invulnerability, which is separate from super strength. Can't use super strength to punch a steel beam without getting hurt, without invulnerability. Right?

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

But you're misunderstanding his weakness. It's not that he only has his powers when he's fighting someone who doesn't fear him, it's that he can only only be injured by someone who doesn't fear him. A crucial difference.

JackKnight
May 10, 2014

Tres'Tria

MildShow posted:

But you're misunderstanding his weakness. It's not that he only has his powers when he's fighting someone who doesn't fear him, it's that he can only only be injured by someone who doesn't fear him. A crucial difference.

no no I know this. I am saying HE can hurt himself because he does not fear himself. Which means if HE hit an ambivalent object hard enough, he would break his hand. If this weren't the case, then the entire premise of the book is flawed. Also I am talking "power" singular. Specifically invulnerability. Super strength is flawed if you don't have invulnerability to back it up. ;-)

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

JackKnight posted:

no no I know this. I am saying HE can hurt himself because he does not fear himself. Which means if HE hit an ambivalent object hard enough, he would break his hand. If this weren't the case, then the entire premise of the book is flawed. Also I am talking "power" singular. Specifically invulnerability. Super strength is flawed if you don't have invulnerability to back it up. ;-)

Well it's a super power, so the premise itself is a bit flawed anyways. I think you are just trolling at this point.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The book spends like 2 pages worth of text telling you not to rules lawyer this poo poo ughhh.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nah, because breaking your fist against a brick wall ain't an 'attack' bro.

Keep in mind the weaknesses can be things like 'get attacked by exactly three dudes' or whatever. Conceptual stuff.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It also explicitly tells you that epics always have powers that make it so they don't tear themselves apart. Guys with super-strength don't break their bones when they stub their toes. Guys who can fly can land safely. Things like that.

Seriously, Steelheart's weakness is easy. He's invulnerable except to other people who don't fear him..

JackKnight
May 10, 2014

Tres'Tria

subx posted:

I think you are just trolling at this point.

I resent this. It is a simple concept I am trying to present here as a possible hole in the story.

Steelheart can harm himself. This is proven at the end of the book when he activates the bomb under his feet. Moreover, he can harm himself at any time whether he is cognizant of impending harm or not. This necessarily requires that if he flew through a building and destroyed it in the process, and the building wasn't wasn't intended to harm him by another person, then he would necessarily incur damage to his person. The explosion that killed him was hardly more force than is required to demolish a building (I don't think), and we also saw a mere bullet harm him, which strongly suggests that his super strength has no bearing whatsoever on his durability. So unless he used his elemental powers to fly through several floors of the bank and destroy it without ever allowing his body to come into physical contact with it, he would be dead.

With that concluded, I think that upon consideration that he did in fact use his elemental powers (and NOT super strength) and that Sanderson simply didn't mention it.

ConfusedUs posted:

It also explicitly tells you that epics always have powers that make it so they don't tear themselves apart. Guys with super-strength don't break their bones when they stub their toes. Guys who can fly can land safely. Things like that.

Seriously, Steelheart's weakness is easy. He's invulnerable except to other people who don't fear him..
Actually it isn't that easy. He is completely vulnerable to himself as well. When he clicks that button and dies, it is only him and the bomb at that point. c

JackKnight fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 27, 2014

JackKnight
May 10, 2014

Tres'Tria

Tunicate posted:

Nah, because breaking your fist against a brick wall ain't an 'attack' bro.

Keep in mind the weaknesses can be things like 'get attacked by exactly three dudes' or whatever. Conceptual stuff.

Well unless I am wrong, conceptually when Steelheart pushed that button and died, he wasn't attacking himself, because there was no intent.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

JackKnight posted:

Well unless I am wrong, conceptually when Steelheart pushed that button and died, he wasn't attacking himself, because there was no intent.

It wasn't a button he pressed, it was a gun he was intending to shoot at David. What he didn't know was that gun had a detonator inside. Still intending harm, just a different delivery method with a little more collateral damage.

Honestly, though, you're over-thinking it. Ultimately, what does it matter?

JackKnight
May 10, 2014

Tres'Tria

MildShow posted:

It wasn't a button he pressed, it was a gun he was intending to shoot at David. What he didn't know was that gun had a detonator inside. Still intending harm, just a different delivery method with a little more collateral damage.

Honestly, though, you're over-thinking it. Ultimately, what does it matter?

Nothing. But this is a book thread. In a dedicated book section of the forums. I kind of thought discussing small insignificant details would be par for the course. But if I am wrong, then so be it. I am new here after all. ;-)

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

JackKnight posted:

Nothing. But this is a book thread. In a dedicated book section of the forums. I kind of thought discussing small insignificant details would be par for the course. But if I am wrong, then so be it. I am new here after all. ;-)

Ah but this is the Sanderson thread. The only valid criticisms here are about dad jokes and no swearing.

Genuine Fake
Oct 2, 2004

JackKnight posted:

I think that you ARE over-thinking it, but over-thinking things is what I do best, so you're forgiven.

I think this still comes down to the conceptual thing. When he pulled the trigger he definitely considered it an attack

Either that or you just need to accept that Epic powers come with the extra abilities needed to stop them from hurting themselves while using the power. Think pewter in Mistborn.

JackKnight
May 10, 2014

Tres'Tria

MildShow posted:

Ah but this is the Sanderson thread. The only valid criticisms here are about dad jokes and no swearing.

Sorry about the swearing. I've edited that out.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

JackKnight posted:

Sorry about the swearing. I've edited that out.

No, I meant we criticize Sanderson for not using proper swear words.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

MildShow posted:

And finally, for a personal nitpick, the prologue makes no drat sense when you first read it, where you're thrown random names and locations with no context, and even by the end of the book, there are still a few things that are unclear. It was the same problem I had with the Prelude in Way of Kings.

That's, uh, most fantasy books that do that though?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's a lot of books in general. I'm sure there's a name for it, but it's common in lots of genres to begin the book by either a) showing something close to the end of the story or b) show history with lots of names and no context, and spend the rest of the book exploring said beginning.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

I know, but it's still something that bothers me, maybe because I haven't really read that much epic fantasy. Perhaps I'm overstating it, though. It's just a minor irritation, not anything that would ever stop me from reading a book

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

As a rule, all prologues in all books should be skipped.

JackKnight
May 10, 2014

Tres'Tria

Holy_Zarquon posted:

I think that you ARE over-thinking it, but over-thinking things is what I do best, so you're forgiven.

I think this still comes down to the conceptual thing. When he pulled the trigger he definitely considered it an attack

Either that or you just need to accept that Epic powers come with the extra abilities needed to stop them from hurting themselves while using the power. Think pewter in Mistborn.
After thinking on it some more, I think you are right. In both cases, he is harmed incidentally to an intent to harm someone else by someone who does not fear him. It is a complex weakness to be sure, lol.

MildShow posted:

No, I meant we criticize Sanderson for not using proper swear words.
Ohh yeah. It's in every single book, lol. You kinda get used to it after the first couple times though. I've seen this used in other books as well, specifically in the Demon Cycle series by Peter V. Brett. Corespawn it all to hell! :-)

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

JackKnight posted:

Corespawn it all to hell! :-)

That's not even a verb! :psyduck:

This discussion has just made me reaffirm my distaste for superhero weaknesses that are tacked on. It's much better when powers themselves have limitations. You can control insects with your mind? Hope you never fight anyone who can burn them out of the sky with fire. Super strong and invulnerable to bullets? Let's see if that forcefield prevents radiation poisoning.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Grundulum posted:

That's not even a verb! :psyduck:

This discussion has just made me reaffirm my distaste for superhero weaknesses that are tacked on. It's much better when powers themselves have limitations. You can control insects with your mind? Hope you never fight anyone who can burn them out of the sky with fire. Super strong and invulnerable to bullets? Let's see if that forcefield prevents radiation poisoning.

If you have not read Worm, you should read Worm.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

If you have not read Worm, you should read Worm.

Worm is all about the tacked-on weaknesses, though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

JackKnight posted:

Ohh yeah. It's in every single book, lol. You kinda get used to it after the first couple times though. I've seen this used in other books as well, specifically in the Demon Cycle series by Peter V. Brett. Corespawn it all to hell! :-)

Stormlight Archives having everyone use "storm" as pretty much their only swearword is really annoying though.

I'm looking forward to the next book in that series but I'm worried it's going to end up with a lot of Kaladin depression again mainly because his eyes are turning light now and he never wanted to be a lighteyes, plus he's going to find his family so even if they're all ok (which I doubt), seeing him with light eyes could have people react to him differently and make him mopey. To say nothing of what kind of reaction seeing his parents would cause after failing to protect Tien.

The prologue in Way of Kings starts to make sense soon enough and you realize who those people are and what's happening.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I expect Kaladin to find one or both parents dead and/or missing, probably directly or indirectly done in by Roshone (because of course they will be) and Roshone also dead so he can never get revenge. I have a bad feeling the "Angsty Kaladin gonna angst" theme is nowhere near played out yet.

I loved the first two books but I'm a bit concerned that I'm going to get tired of that particular theme long, long before Book Ten. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Stormlight Archives having everyone use "storm" as pretty much their only swearword is really annoying though.

I didn't mind this. It made sense in a world where a storm constantly ravages the surface world to a point where humanity has had to massively adapt to its existence. It just sounds different because storm is a verb itself, and we don't have that combination much in our language. There could be more variation, but it didn't detract from the story for me.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I agree. While I won't put it past Sanderson to impress me, I'm afraid it'll be the same old mopey angst cycle book after book. While I've said in the past I find Kaladin's cycles of emotional turmoil to be refreshing and interesting, I want him to be learning from his experiences and growing with how to deal with it. After a while, I think it would be much more interesting to see him struggling with his new authority and power, realize he's getting into a funk, and figuring out how to deal with it productively. From a narrative standpoint, it can be balanced by his enemies becoming more competent and trying to exploit those weaknesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DarkHorse posted:

I agree. While I won't put it past Sanderson to impress me, I'm afraid it'll be the same old mopey angst cycle book after book. While I've said in the past I find Kaladin's cycles of emotional turmoil to be refreshing and interesting, I want him to be learning from his experiences and growing with how to deal with it. After a while, I think it would be much more interesting to see him struggling with his new authority and power, realize he's getting into a funk, and figuring out how to deal with it productively. From a narrative standpoint, it can be balanced by his enemies becoming more competent and trying to exploit those weaknesses.

My hope for this is that he'll get back to the others quickly and if nothing else being around the highprince will help keep his mopey behavior in check. If not that then maybe he'll get a chance to grow by training the bridge men who are also radiants, as Kaladin was told that several of them looked to be glowing during the battle against the stormforms, and we know that at least one who didn't go take part in the fight also managed to draw stormlight.

I hope the books come at a steady pace though. While they do drag at times (shallan was the worst for awhile) they're drat good overall. Liked it much more than Kingkiller.