Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Shovelmint posted:

What? It's not even 5 & 6? So when is the actual 5th main storyline Mistborn book coming?

Mistborn was planned to be 3 trilogies, spanning 3 different time periods. The books we're waiting on are the first two parts of a previously unplanned sequel trilogy to Alloy of law.

Alloy of Law was an unplanned novella that takes place between the first two trilogies, and was written during a flight. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

This is why being a Sanderson fan owns. You never know when he's going to have to take a dump and crank out 3 new books.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

And actually, the unplanned trilogy is going to a be a trilogy in four parts - http://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-december-2014/

E: Sanderson is great.

Brandon Sanderson posted:

You may now commence wisecracks about me secretly writing extra novels when nobody is looking.

MildShow fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 22, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Most people take a nap and/or drink on a long flight. Sanderson writes a goddamn book. He'll probably finish Stormlight Archives and Mistborn before Rothfuss finishes whatever the gently caress Kingkiller's supposed to be part of.

Shovelmint posted:

I've been on a Sanderson kick lately, after finally getting to the end of WoT, I tore through the first Mistborn trilogy and just finished Words of Radiance. Definitely enjoyed that Lift interlude, sucks to be you if you hate awesomeness, I guess. Not sure if I should move on to Alloy of Law yet, or wait until the fall when the next book is supposed to come out. I know Brandon's a machine, but I know there's a long way to go for the rest of Stormlight, and I'm not sure I want to be waiting on two series at once. At least he gives us satisfyingly epic endings to each individual book, which is more than I can say for GRRM or Jordan. Maybe I just need to step away from the serial fantasy for a while, and read some quality stand alone fiction by dead authors.

You could read the Riftwar series but some of the books are noticeably better than others (Serpentwar Saga's good until the last book starts wrapping up and veers in to :catdrugs:).

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

It feels like we've been years without any new Sanderson books. Even though it's only been what? a few months?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Firefight was the most recent non-short I believe, so... 4 to 5 months.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

senae posted:

Alloy of Law was written during a flight. :getin:

That's awesome, is there a blog post where he talks about this?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Welp I just devoured The Way of Kings. Last time I was in this thread, I complained about how dull and plodding Elantris was. I've since gone through Warbreaker, Emperor's Soul and The Way of Kings. I enjoyed Warbreaker and was glad I read it, since I only did so originally out of a Cosmere completionist streak and an alleged Stormlight 2 tie in. It was a shame that the book ended just as things were getting good and Vivenna finally stopped being a lousy character. I don't have many more hot-takes since it's been a while. I loved Emperor's Soul, though maybe the frequent posts about how amazing it is gave me unreasonable expectations but it was really good and am looking forward to a sequel. Not sure what its link to Elantris was beyond being in the same world? I think I recognized some races and I guess the magic systems are kinda an extension? Maybe I'll go root around a wiki but I'm gonna wait til I finish Stormlight 2 to avoid major Cosmere spoilers.

I really enjoyed Stormlight 1. I think I saw someone post in the Dresden thread and warned about it starting off really bad and slow but gets really good after. Good thing my expectations were dampened because that Szeth assassination was kinda dull. Its a good thing the ending fights were much better. In the first part of the book, I really didn't enjoy how Sanderson kept bouncing POVs because all I wanted was to forward Kaladin's story and boy did I not care about Shellan at all. Its a good thing that I got some payoff and some lore dump at the end but I was real glad when she got bedridden in the hospital and we didn't go back to her until the end. I often would keep reading until a Kaladin bit would end. Dalinar storyline started slowly and I was worried but thankfully it got good fairly quickly and ended great. I get the converging storyline thing and don't usually mind it as much, but I just wanted more Kaladin story.

I also enjoyed all the world building but kept waiting for the power ups to our main characters to happen. I got a good payoff at the end but man I hope that in Book 2, we get treated to a training montage and then Kaladin wrecking poo poo with his powers. I didn't expect the twists in the Part 5 Epilogue. They were some good hooks and can't wait to get started on Book 2. I'm looking forward to some info being shed on Hoid and the Parshendi Shardbearer guy.

After I finish Book 2, where do I go from here? I've read all 4 Mistborn books already and enjoyed them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

Not sure what its link to Elantris was beyond being in the same world? I think I recognized some races and I guess the magic systems are kinda an extension?
That's about it.

quote:

After I finish Book 2, where do I go from here? I've read all 4 Mistborn books already and enjoyed them.

The short stories, which should tide you over until Alloy 2 and 3 come out.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
I just read 'Perfect State' and 'Sixth of the Dusk' on a flight.

I really liked the ideas in 'Perfect State', when you start to realise the world the characters live in, and how it is more a sci-fi story it gets a lot more interesting. I originally anticipated some god emperor fantasy story and was quite happy with what we got.

'Sixth of the Dusk' was also interesting. I'm curious who the aliens that came and visited are. And also how exactly the world fits into Cosmere at a larger scale. It's not his best short story but it was nice to see him tackle the ideas of colonisation and how it might later be applied to the world as a whole. Not his best short work,, but decent and readable.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Strumpy posted:

'Sixth of the Dusk' was also interesting. I'm curious who the aliens that came and visited are. And also how exactly the world fits into Cosmere at a larger scale. It's not his best short story but it was nice to see him tackle the ideas of colonisation and how it might later be applied to the world as a whole. Not his best short work,, but decent and readable.

Apparently it's set in the distant future, so it could be pretty much any of the cosmere stories IN SPACE

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xtanstic posted:

I also enjoyed all the world building but kept waiting for the power ups to our main characters to happen. I got a good payoff at the end but man I hope that in Book 2, we get treated to a training montage and then Kaladin wrecking poo poo with his powers. I didn't expect the twists in the Part 5 Epilogue. They were some good hooks and can't wait to get started on Book 2. I'm looking forward to some info being shed on Hoid and the Parshendi Shardbearer guy.

Keep in mind it's longer than Book 1. The structure is fairly similar but the consequences at the end are much more earthshattering so you'll probably enjoy that at least.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tunicate posted:

Apparently it's set in the distant future, so it could be pretty much any of the cosmere stories IN SPACE

It's been explained out-of-story that Mistborn magic in particular (and probably some of the others) can be used for FTL travel - and presumably will be in the fourth of the trilogy of mistborn trilogies, to be set in the far future.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Xtanstic posted:

Good thing my expectations were dampened because that Szeth assassination was kinda dull.
It always amazes me how polarizing that scene is. That scene instantly hooked me and made me very interested in finishing the book. I wouldn't call it the best scene in the book, but I thought it was a very strong start!

Xtanstic posted:

In the first part of the book, I really didn't enjoy how Sanderson kept bouncing POVs because all I wanted was to forward Kaladin's story and boy did I not care about Shellan at all.
This part I do agree with. With WoK, I did something that I've been known to do in the past... I actively skipped Shallan and Dalinar's chapters and just went directly from one Kaladin chapter to the next (going back and picking up the other threads after I'd read the climax). I can only recall doing this a couple times in my life, but the way each chapter ended with a mini "cliffhanger" really made me want to move immediately to the next!

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

syphon posted:

It always amazes me how polarizing that scene is. That scene instantly hooked me and made me very interested in finishing the book. I wouldn't call it the best scene in the book, but I thought it was a very strong start!
This part I do agree with. With WoK, I did something that I've been known to do in the past... I actively skipped Shallan and Dalinar's chapters and just went directly from one Kaladin chapter to the next (going back and picking up the other threads after I'd read the climax). I can only recall doing this a couple times in my life, but the way each chapter ended with a mini "cliffhanger" really made me want to move immediately to the next!

I think I did that the first time around, but the second time I read it I skipped Kaladins chapters in favour of the other two.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I skipped the Kaladin and Shallan flashback chapters, because I was too impatient to learn what happens in the "real" story to bother with the past. But I nearly always skip unimportant seeming parts of a book when I first read it, that's what rereads are for. And I reread good books nearly immediately after finishing the first read-through.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

syphon posted:

It was an awesome scene that unfortunately read like he was including information from the game manual in the book. "Szeth used a Basic Lashing on the guard. This took 5% of his Stormlight Gauge and bound the guard to the ceiling for 12 seconds. If used with the SURGE button..."

It left a sour taste in my mouth before I even got into the actual story simply because of how blatant a rules-system infodump it was and it could have been handled much better.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I think more thought on it would have led to maybe putting it in 2 POVs, one from a random guard, the other from Sadeas. Point being, not from Szeth. Just emphasize the utter impossibility of what he was doing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That event's going to be covered from a different perspective in each of the first five books, so ...

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Tunicate posted:

That event's going to be covered from a different perspective in each of the first five books, so ...

Too late for the effect. Since book 3 is Szeth anyway maybe it should've been the one to have book 1's prologue.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Khizan posted:

It was an awesome scene that unfortunately read like he was including information from the game manual in the book. "Szeth used a Basic Lashing on the guard. This took 5% of his Stormlight Gauge and bound the guard to the ceiling for 12 seconds. If used with the SURGE button..."

It left a sour taste in my mouth before I even got into the actual story simply because of how blatant a rules-system infodump it was and it could have been handled much better.

Agreed with everything you said but also as a flash-forward there was no context for the characters or why someone was impersonating the king, or why we'd care whether the king was killed, etc etc. I didn't like it.

Don't know why you guys are OK with skipping chapters. The only book I can recall ever doing that was War and Peace where Tolstoy would write alternating chapters with dry historical analysis of Napolean's invasion of Russia that I was completely disinterested in reading.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ruby idiot railed posted:

I think more thought on it would have led to maybe putting it in 2 POVs, one from a random guard, the other from Sadeas. Point being, not from Szeth. Just emphasize the utter impossibility of what he was doing.

Szeth's fine for this, he just should have told me that Szeth lashed them to the ceiling and they fell upwards without adding in the "a Basic Lashing is an instant with a mana cost of 1U that reads..." stuff.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Book 2 also has all the main characters closer together so even Shallan chapters advance Kalladins plot it really helps.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The worst part about Book 3 being Szeth-focused is that it'll likely introduce a handful of other characters and only touch on them now and then, instead of covering Kaladin and the others who are now all together and thus could move the story along in much greater detail.

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

The worst part about Book 3 being Szeth-focused is that it'll likely introduce a handful of other characters and only touch on them now and then, instead of covering Kaladin and the others who are now all together and thus could move the story along in much greater detail.

Is this confirmed somewhere? That the third book is going to be Szeth focused?
I hope Kaladin is still on, specially now that he is going back home, also being Szeth focused hopefully means we'll get a lot more of Nale too which might be really cool

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

theghostpt posted:

Is this confirmed somewhere? That the third book is going to be Szeth focused?
I hope Kaladin is still on, specially now that he is going back home, also being Szeth focused hopefully means we'll get a lot more of Nale too which might be really cool

Not fully confirmed, just the way Sanderson is leaning right now. He's said that he still hasn't completely decided whether the book will be focused on Szeth, Dalinar, or Eshonai yet.

And it'll be focused on Szeth (or whoever) in the same way that WoK was focused on Kaladin and that WoR was focused on Shallan, so pretty much just flashbacks and maybe a little more screentime. The other four characters will still have plenty to do.

E: Oh, and Sanderson has also said in the past that just because a future book is focused on a certain character, it doesn't necessarily mean that that character will be alive in that book, although that could just be a misdirect.

MildShow fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 4, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mewse posted:

Agreed with everything you said but also as a flash-forward there was no context for the characters or why someone was impersonating the king, or why we'd care whether the king was killed, etc etc. I didn't like it.

I think the issues of killing a king are generally understood, just like having a book begin with the assassination of the president would be generally understood.

mewse
May 2, 2006

computer parts posted:

I think the issues of killing a king are generally understood, just like having a book begin with the assassination of the president would be generally understood.

The assassination of the president is generally understood to be evil, but the killing of a king in a fantasy novel could mean anything.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Killing kings is evil, killing emperors is good, hth

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Evil Fluffy posted:

Based on the excerpt of book 3 that has been released, I'm pretty sure that Kaladin will spend at most one chapter with Shallan and Dalinar before traveling to his hometown.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Torrannor posted:

Based on the excerpt of book 3 that has been released, I'm pretty sure that Kaladin will spend at most one chapter with Shallan and Dalinar before traveling to his hometown.

But the world is already getting smaller, much like the world got smaller in Wheel of Time once they had Traveling... Kaladin can travel pretty fast now. And other characters can apparently teleport.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ithaqua posted:

But the world is already getting smaller, much like the world got smaller in Wheel of Time once they had Traveling... Kaladin can travel pretty fast now. And other characters can apparently teleport.

WoT had traveling from book 6, and not once in the remaining 8 books do the three male main characters ever appear in a scene together.

Kaladin can travel fast when he has spheres with stormlight to drain, and during a highstorm he doesn't even need those. But the spheres don't have unlimited stormlight, so I guess he can only fly far once after each highstorm. Shallan and Dalinar won't sit still in Urithiru.

And we don't know yet the exact rules of teleporting, so there can be restrictions that make travel not quite as easy as one would think.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mewse posted:

The assassination of the president is generally understood to be evil, but the killing of a king in a fantasy novel could mean anything.

No, generally fantasy novels support the king.

Even if it was ambiguous, killing a nation's leader generally leads to war and that's the reason Szeth went to kill him.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Read the mistborn trilogy, warbreaker and the stormlight books this month. Reading alloy of law at the moment. Really enjoying sandersons work. Not surevwhich books to read next though

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Read the shorts? Read them next if not.

Could someone list the entire set of Sanderson's shorts? I... haven't read them yet either. :v: Only remember Emperors Soul off the top of my head.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Thyrork posted:

Read the shorts? Read them next if not.

Could someone list the entire set of Sanderson's shorts? I... haven't read them yet either. :v: Only remember Emperors Soul off the top of my head.

Firstborn - non-cosmere sci-fi, pretty worth a read
Defending Elysium - I've never heard of this, but it's on his wikipedia page
Perfect State - also non-cosmere sci-fi, also really good
Mitosis - the direct sequel to Steelheart, and I found kind of skippable
Infinity Blade: Awakening/Redemption - 2 short stories based on an IOS game
Sixth of the Dusk - Cosmere colonialism from the POV of the colonized
Emperor's Soul - Obviously

I think that's the lot of them.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

senae posted:

Firstborn - non-cosmere sci-fi, pretty worth a read
Defending Elysium - I've never heard of this, but it's on his wikipedia page
Perfect State - also non-cosmere sci-fi, also really good
Mitosis - the direct sequel to Steelheart, and I found kind of skippable
Infinity Blade: Awakening/Redemption - 2 short stories based on an IOS game
Sixth of the Dusk - Cosmere colonialism from the POV of the colonized
Emperor's Soul - Obviously

I think that's the lot of them.

There's also Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell, another Cosmere short story, as well as the two Legion novellas.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Little_wh0re posted:

Read the mistborn trilogy, warbreaker and the stormlight books this month. Reading alloy of law at the moment. Really enjoying sandersons work. Not surevwhich books to read next though
You seem pretty devoted so I'd say it's time for Elantris. It's not as good as stuff you've read but it's still a fun Sanderson doorstopper and it'll get sequel. Then Emperors Soul and that's pretty much it for major Cosmere works. Well there's plenty of short stuff and YA after that if you're going to go all in. Perfect State was pretty good and Reckoners has its moments.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
You may want to wait on Elantris. He's releasing an updated version for the tenth anniversary. It probably won't fix any of the pacing problems but it may be a better read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It'll fix some pretty major geography problems, if nothing else.