Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

yeah, but having two separate shards balancing each other out seems to always end badly as they tend to fight and squabble and kill each other

Honor and Cultivation seem to have gotten along until Odium came to wreck stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Avalerion posted:

Honor and Cultivation seem to have gotten along until Odium came to wreck stuff.

They aren't as opposed as those other two were though, so it's probably dependent on the situation.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I just finished Aeronaut's Windlass and man, it was Sanderson as hell. Odd world seemingly put together by a sentient deity at odds with a vague Ancient Enemy? World populated by people with customs inexplicable to even themselves that seem to have some relation to protecting them from said Ancient Enemy? Two dimensional characters? Book itself thicker than a dictionary? Its got everything Sanderson loves!

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Well, to be fair, the world of Aeronaut's Windlass seems to be future Earth rather than a constructed fantasy world. I liked it and it doesn't negate a lot of what you said, but the whole created by a deity thing doesn't quite count.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I just finished Aeronaut's Windlass and man, it was Sanderson as hell. Odd world seemingly put together by a sentient deity at odds with a vague Ancient Enemy? World populated by people with customs inexplicable to even themselves that seem to have some relation to protecting them from said Ancient Enemy? Two dimensional characters? Book itself thicker than a dictionary? Its got everything Sanderson loves!

I thought the world was intriguing, at least, the bullet points were. The actual novel went out of its way to make the Spires seem as boring as possible. No word count was given to developing the cool ideas. Everything was an action scene.

The ventilation tunnels. The docks. A tavern. The engine room of the Predator. That's pretty much the set, like Butcher was worried about the budget or something.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I would make a fun TV show or video game. Much like most of Sanderson. I'm ok with that.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Butcher has always started series and left a lot of the world building in the background to be brought out in future books/Book Signings. So yeah, very Sanderson.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH

Mortanis posted:

Well, to be fair, the world of Aeronaut's Windlass seems to be future Earth rather than a constructed fantasy world. I liked it and it doesn't negate a lot of what you said, but the whole created by a deity thing doesn't quite count.

I didn't catch any indication of that

BananaNutkins posted:

I thought the world was intriguing, at least, the bullet points were. The actual novel went out of its way to make the Spires seem as boring as possible. No word count was given to developing the cool ideas. Everything was an action scene.

The ventilation tunnels. The docks. A tavern. The engine room of the Predator. That's pretty much the set, like Butcher was worried about the budget or something.

The constant fighting was my biggest disappointment. From the first skirmish on it was just non stop shooting, running, and slashing.

The_Angry_Turtle fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 15, 2016

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Ferus uses Latin (Semper fortitudo) - Butcher's certainly aware enough to know that you don't just toss Latin into a fantasy world
There's also Spire Albion - Albion is an actual name for Great Britain and again I'm sure Butcher knows this. It stuck out as much to me as if it it had been named Spire California but I'm kinda nerdy that way.
This one is stretching, but they refer to the ground as 'earth' quite a bit. While for us ground, dirt, and earth are synonymous, but that's because it's our planet. Another planet calling ground 'earth' is weird, but it's such a common turn of phrase that it's very possible it slipped through the cracks. I note it here because it could line up with the others.

Nothing super-damning or anything, but it feels like Butcher put the seeds in there.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Mortanis posted:

There's also Spire Albion - Albion is an actual name for Great Britain and again I'm sure Butcher knows this. It stuck out as much to me as if it it had been named Spire California but I'm kinda nerdy that way.

Albion also has a tradition of drinking tea though none remembers why. And there was a mention of horses as mythical creatures from the past.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Calamity is out now for all you weirdos that like that kind of stuff.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

The Gardenator posted:

Calamity is out now for all you weirdos that like that kind of stuff.

Oh poo poo. I totally forgot about this. Goddamn, and I just spent my last. :10bux:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Someone refresh me on the firefight ending please

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Okay, so I just burned through Way of Kings and Words of Radiance in two weeks and I need more. I just picked up the mistborn series as well. What's the reading order for other Sanderson stuff beyond mistborn?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

smertrioslol posted:

Okay, so I just burned through Way of Kings and Words of Radiance in two weeks and I need more. I just picked up the mistborn series as well. What's the reading order for other Sanderson stuff beyond mistborn?

Publication order is pretty ok.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

smertrioslol posted:

As Tunicate said, publication order works all right. Just remember that Elantris was his first book, and it shows.

You might be interested in reading Warbreaker first, to spot the significant cross-over with Words of Radiance.

And make sure to read Secret Histories last!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Firefight shows up naked, and David totally checks her out.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Anyone had luck getting white sand? The wiki mentions he'll send it to anyone who asks so I tried doing that through the email form on his website, nothing yet though.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

RC Cola posted:

Prof goes bad, Megan goes good.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

RC Cola posted:

David beats Obliteration, Obliteration takes David to Regalia, Regalia turns Prof, David kills Regalia, Prof goes for David, Megan reincarnates without her "dark side" (because of why she dies) and saves David, driving Prof off.

e: just blew through all of Calamity

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 16, 2016

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Yeah, just finished Calamity in a single sitting. I know it's YA, and I did enjoy it and the entire Reckoners series, but it wasn't terribly fulfilling. I thought Steelheart was the best of the three, and while it tied everything in a mostly satisfying way, it wasn't a very 'weighty' read. I liked trying to out guess the Sanderson way of weaving everything together and the sudden realizations of "no, THIS is how it all works" though. It's a good series, but hardly a great series. I'm happy to be finished with it, though.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

broken clock opsec posted:

David beats Obliteration, Obliteration takes David to Regalia, Regalia turns Prof, David kills Regalia, Prof goes for David, Megan reincarnates without her "dark side" (because of why she dies) and saves David, driving Prof off.

e: just blew through all of Calamity

Also David might be a secret magneto now, but just said lol nope so he's not evil. I'm assuming that scene is explained better in calamity, but I'll find out in the next 2-3 days.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/699640162679042048

20 minutes until he starts tweeting answers to random questions. Get your questions in if you want.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

senae posted:

Also David might be a secret magneto now, but just said lol nope so he's not evil. I'm assuming that scene is explained better in calamity, but I'll find out in the next 2-3 days.

e: nm

Drewford
Jun 29, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Anyone had luck getting white sand? The wiki mentions he'll send it to anyone who asks so I tried doing that through the email form on his website, nothing yet though.

I did the same thing and got a copy, just know that it can take several months for you to get a response.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Avalerion posted:

If it's been a couple months feel free to email again.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

senae posted:

Goddamn that ending was so good, though. Calamity's Calamity's ending was pretty good especially when both Prof and then Megan show up (because of course that's how she would do it) and the Steelheart/Steelslayer parallel universe doubletwist was pretty good for the conclusion but I'm not sure it beats how Firefight ends.

Also I like how it is the inbetween origin story for the Injustice-style universe building towards a Justice League-style universe.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 17, 2016

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Avalerion posted:

Echoing what others have said, I was emailed a copy a couple months after I sent in a request.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Finished Secret History yesterday and immediately looked at Hero of Ages searching for all the references. Sanderson really plans everything ahead.

The next Wax and Wayne book is scheduled for 2017, right? Kinda sad, but I can wait. I think I'll read Warbreaker now, somehow I've skipped that book until now even when I know it's important for the cosmere.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

That's probably it then, been just two weeks.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Me, after Steelheart was released posted:

Regarding Steelheart's weakness, for most of the book I believed that being reminded of the hero he should've been or could've been would be his weakness. I think it might've tied into to the whole "only evil people have powers/powers make people evil" premise. But hey, being tricked into blowing yourself up works just as well.

Well, I was close. And honestly, I liked it better when it turned out to be Prof's weakness.

I enjoyed Calamity. It's not the greatest thing Sanderson's ever written, but it was still fun.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Adnor posted:

Finished Secret History yesterday and immediately looked at Hero of Ages searching for all the references. Sanderson really plans everything ahead.

The next Wax and Wayne book is scheduled for 2017, right? Kinda sad, but I can wait. I think I'll read Warbreaker now, somehow I've skipped that book until now even when I know it's important for the cosmere.

I don't think that there are any more Wax and Wayne books?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

wallaka posted:

The Lost Metal, but it's not out until next year IIRC.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

wallaka posted:

One last book to close out the era. I mean, that was one hell of a cliffhanger to leave dangling when you have a red-eyed shapeshifter casually declaring the need to purge the planet of life. There's a bit of an imperative to follow up on that.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

The biggest twist in the W&W series is that The Alloy of Law is not part of the W&W trilogy, but continues to be a standalone book somehow.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Avalerion posted:

I did! It took something like half a year before I got a response about a month ago. I figured he just forgot about it, but nope... eventually you get an email with a word document file and a PDF! It's in manuscript format, so courier new font and underlining instead of italics, but word can do formatting search and replace, so it's really easy to get it to a readable state.

I really want to discuss it, but the email asked nicely not to do so... I'd feel bad about breaking that. All I'll say is that it's got its flaws... big ones... and I see why it's not published, but all the same, at its core, it's a Sanderson novel with all that implies. And it is, in fact, still canonical to the metaverse.

EDIT: Huh, coulda sworn there weren't any other responses before I hit reply... must have had the thread left open overnight or something.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's not surprising that a not-edited book has a lot of flaws. Even whole storylines can change after the editor had his/her first go at the manuscript.

That said, it's the right thing not to share anything from the book. Those who really want to know can probably find a torrent somewhere, or simply wait a few months after writing to Brandon. I like that there are no easy spoilers for White Sand on the internet.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Torrannor posted:

It's not surprising that a not-edited book has a lot of flaws. Even whole storylines can change after the editor had his/her first go at the manuscript.

That said, it's the right thing not to share anything from the book. Those who really want to know can probably find a torrent somewhere, or simply wait a few months after writing to Brandon. I like that there are no easy spoilers for White Sand on the internet.

Surprisingly, the fanbase has been pretty good about not putting these on torrent sites.

That said, the biggest issue with White Sand is one Brandon mentioned in his elantris commentary - putting in 11th hour twists for each character just for the sake of having them.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Sanderson's aware of his issues. That can lead to a lot of growth from an author. Same thing with Aether of Night, which I think might make a better comic then anything else. You can really see the character archtypes and story beats that he's reused elsewhere. Still enjoyable though.

I don't know if its even remotely cannon but (Aether of Night)
One thing I wondered was if the two gods were each their own shard and if their 'father' was a shattered shard or if they all just form one shard that had been partially broken three ways. I feel like one of the Cosmere worlds having three vicious shards in one place would be a bit overkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Sanderson's aware of his issues. That can lead to a lot of growth from an author. Same thing with Aether of Night, which I think might make a better comic then anything else. You can really see the character archtypes and story beats that he's reused elsewhere. Still enjoyable though.

I don't know if its even remotely cannon but (Aether of Night)
One thing I wondered was if the two gods were each their own shard and if their 'father' was a shattered shard or if they all just form one shard that had been partially broken three ways. I feel like one of the Cosmere worlds having three vicious shards in one place would be a bit overkill.

Brandon mentioned that some of the magic is getting reused elsewhere, but the version of Ruin that existed in Aether of Night rules out the main plot from happening. The 'smoke for blood' guys we end up seeing in Stormlight, for instance.