Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

rafikki posted:

I vastly preferred Rithmatist over the Reckoners books.
Same. I may be a bit biased as a Starcraft enthusiast though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Going to see Sanderson at DragonCon Atlanta, not sure what I'd even say to him maybe ask him if he wants to draft but I'd think it would be fun.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cicero posted:

Same. I may be a bit biased as a Starcraft enthusiast though.

Nah, reckoners kinda ended on a wet fart.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Mount Char is legit. It's like a weird Sanderson/Gaiman/Lovecraft mashup.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

Going to see Sanderson at DragonCon Atlanta, not sure what I'd even say to him maybe ask him if he wants to draft but I'd think it would be fun.

Ask him if Shalash's Honorblade is going to be destroyed and if she's going to become a Dustbringer or a Willshaper.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I feel like Mount Char was really good for about 80% of the book, and then just fell apart, hard, at the end.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

socialsecurity posted:

Ask him when he's going to take over ASOIAF and finish it since while GRRM isn't dead his drive to complete the series is.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Ask him when he's going to take over ASOIAF and finish it since while GRRM isn't dead his drive to complete the series is.

Also ask him when he's going to take over NotW.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Ask him if Aether of Night has a future. Because I really liked it.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

ConfusedUs posted:

I feel like Mount Char was really good for about 80% of the book, and then just fell apart, hard, at the end.

See, I thought it fell apart at 50% point with way too much Steve and the lion buddy adventures, kinda came back together for the false ending, then really put its game face on for the last act.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

BananaNutkins posted:

See, I thought it fell apart at 50% point with way too much Steve and the lion buddy adventures, kinda came back together for the false ending, then really put its game face on for the last act.

This is my feeling as well. I thought the last 20% was the most interesting portion

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

https://www.amazon.com/Brandon-Sandersons-White-Sand-Vol-ebook/dp/B01E62OKF8/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&qid=&ref_=tmm_kin_title_0&sr=

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

That cover.

Brandon Sanderson presents: Brandon Sanderson's White Sand, written by Brandon Sanderson and some other guy

I'm guessing that isn't the final cover

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finally, proof that there's more than one Brandon Sanderson writing these books. That's how he (they) writes so many, so fast.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

enigma105 posted:

That cover.

Brandon Sanderson presents: Brandon Sanderson's White Sand, written by Brandon Sanderson and some other guy

The other author is probably Joe Dever, since the blurb reads like Avatar crossed with Lone Wolf. FOR SOMMERLUND AND THE KAI!

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

NinjaDebugger posted:

The other author is probably Joe Dever, since the blurb reads like Avatar crossed with Lone Wolf. FOR SOMMERLUND AND THE KAI!

It's Rik Hoskin (who I don't know). Not that you can tell easily from that page

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

enigma105 posted:

That cover.

I think it's just that picture specifically that is messed up since the preview shows the same image but Sanderson's name is only shown once. :shrug:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Sanderson!

Sanderson!

SANDERSON!!!

Coming to you live from the deserts of Taldain! Tickets pay for the whole seat, but you only need the eeeeeedge

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

OAquinas posted:

Sanderson!

Sanderson!

SANDERSON!!!

Coming to you live from the deserts of Taldain! Tickets pay for the whole seat, but you only need the eeeeeedge

*only applies to last 3rd of book

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Reading Bands of Mourning and it's just adorable how Sanderson thinks snogging is a term for sex.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Chamberk posted:

Reading Bands of Mourning and it's just adorable how Sanderson thinks snogging is a term for sex.

To be fair, I thought that was the case until very recently. It's a term that just doesn't show up in the US at all, and we give all sorts of dumb nicknames to loving so as to keep things polite.

I only learned what it actually meant when someone was telling me about 'Angus, Thongs, and Perfect Snogging' - which made the movie/book sound a -lot- more hardcore than it actually is.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

ITT I realize some of my fellow Americans must've thought the last few Harry Potter books were way racier than JK Rowling intended.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
The distinction between a fanny in the US and a fanny in the UK is much more entertaining.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Finally finished Warbreaker. Been putting it off since I had it on my phone and it Ives me a headache to read on it after awhile. Rather pleased with the ending. Between that and Mistborn secret history, I wanna know more about the people who travel between worlds seeking to gain the powers of each. Seems like someone is trying to become as strong as the original God, or at least an approximation of it? And where does Hoid fit in? How many powers or which has he retained? Maybe the fifth heightening? Anyone have any clues as to who the dude is in secret history that eats the magic mist born rock at the well of Ascension is? Sorry if this has been debated before but I avoided reading the spoilers earlier.

smertrioslol fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 10, 2016

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

smertrioslol posted:

Finally finished Warbreaker. Been putting it off since I had it on my phone and it Ives me a headache to read on it after awhile. Rather pleased with the ending. Between that and Mistborn secret history, I wanna know more about the people who travel between worlds seeking to gain the powers of each. Seems like someone is trying to become as strong as the original God, or at least an approximation of it? And where does Hoid fit in? How many powers or which has he retained? Maybe the fifth heightening? Anyone have any clues as to who the dude is in secret history that eats the magic mist born rock at the well of Ascension is? Sorry if this has been debated before but I avoided reading the spoilers earlier.

It's Hoid. This is evidenced in one of the Stormlight Archives books

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

hoid is also a feruchemist, according to brandon, which now makes him a lord ruler on top of his other bullshit

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I hope Dragonsteel never comes out because learning the truth/history of a mysterious character rarely ends up being a good thing. We already know that Hoid is directly involved with the (original) shard bearers and was involved in Adonalsium's shattering in some way. Secret History has Preservation mention Hoid (and by his real name) refusing one of the shards IIRC. He also personally hates at least two of the original bearers and is almost certainly Ascended in some way in addition to the demigod-level power he has as a result of holding something like a dozen various abilities. Including Hemalurgy, which means he could spike himself with every single power if he really wanted to though Harmony would probably get control over him in the process.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Does Sanderson have a reading flowchart like the Malazan series? The OP is 6 years old now, and good heavens he should keep pumping out the short stuff. The Empress Soul and Legion stories end before they wear out their welcome, whereas the first 400 pages of Mistborn 2 had bugger all happen. 400 pages and I still couldn't tell the crew apart.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 11, 2016

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Yeah. That's a real problem with his earlier stuff. He's definitely grown as an author.

As for reading order: if you want chronological according to cosmere time it's something like: Elantris->Emperor's Soul->Mistborn Series 1->Warbreaker->Shadows for Silence etc.->Stormlight Series 1->Mistborn Series 2->Sixth of Dusk

Chronology

Though Stormlight 1 and Mistborn 2 have flopped around in the order once or twice.

I would suggest Emperor's Soul as a good start for someone who hasn't read any Sanderson before. Then probably Warbreaker.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Tunicate posted:

hoid is also a feruchemist, according to brandon, which now makes him a lord ruler on top of his other bullshit

Guessing that's what he was doing up in Terris in secret history? Also, I read the stormlight books first, so I'm forgetting, where does it confirm that it was Hoid in secret history?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mistborn 2 has a first half that really sucks, not gonna lie.

smertrioslol posted:

Guessing that's what he was doing up in Terris in secret history? Also, I read the stormlight books first, so I'm forgetting, where does it confirm that it was Hoid in secret history?

Yeah it was him. But he's had that for a long time, so who knows how he got it.

My recommended reading order is

Emperor's Soul (because it's the best of his works) or Warbreaker (because it's free on his website and that way you can tell if you like his writing style)
Mistborn 1-3
Stormlight 1-2
Mistborn 4-6
Mistborn Secret History
Elantris 10th edition (because elantris still isn't great, but at least the 10th anniversary version fixes a couple plotholes and tightens up the writing)
Arcanum Unbound, a short story collection + a novella which should probably be out by the time you finish the above.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Tunicate posted:

My recommended reading order is

Emperor's Soul (because it's the best of his works) or Warbreaker (because it's free on his website and that way you can tell if you like his writing style) and Perfect State
Mistborn 1-3
Stormlight 1-2
Mistborn 4-6
Mistborn Secret History
Elantris 10th edition (because elantris still isn't great, but at least the 10th anniversary version fixes a couple plotholes and tightens up the writing)
Arcanum Unbound, a short story collection + a novella which should probably be out by the time you finish the above.

This, but added one that you shamefully missed.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Thyrork posted:

also you forgot The Rithmatist. i'm excited for the next one.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

smertrioslol posted:

It's confirmed Hoid is in Secret History because he's seen exiting the Well and taking the bead of Lerasium, which we known Hoid took, so it couldn't be anyone else just from that. Preservation's comments about him also further reinforce that it's him.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Thyrork posted:

I'm just doing cosmere stuff, man.

Otherwise you'd also have to add the one reckoner book that's good.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Xaris posted:

also you forgot The Rithmatist. i'm excited for the next one.

Neither Rithmatist nor Perfect State are cosmere.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

EVGA Longoria posted:

Neither Rithmatist nor Perfect State are cosmere.

But you should read The Rithmatist.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

TheMadMilkman posted:

But you should read The Rithmatist.

and Perfect State.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I would suggest a reading order of Emperor's Soul, followed by Stormlight 1-2

Honestly; Elantris, Mistborn and Warbreaker are too flawed for me to recommend them to a stranger. Work your way through all that stuff while waiting for the next Stormlight book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

My recommended order for the Cosmere works would be Mistborn 1 -3, then Elantris, then the rest in release order.

I understand the logic of starting with Emperor's Soul - it's a small time investment, and it's undoubtedly Sanderson's best work. The problem I have with reading it first is that, because it's his best work, you'll likely be disappointed when you get to his weakest books. Also, it's very different in structure and tone from the rest of his work, so it's not a great example of what you'll find reading the other books.

I feel that Mistborn has enough good there that most people will be able to enjoy it despite its flaws, and it's probably the best example of what you can expect reading Sanderson.