Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

- The "meat" of the cosmere story is currently in the Stormlight books, right?
- Am I supposed to know who Nazh is?
- Someone (VenDell, I think) in BoM mentions that four people have held the power at the Well of Ascension: Rashek, Vin, Sazed and Kelsier. But I don't remember Kelsier doing that. Am I dumb, or is that a Secret History thing?

1) yes, but there isn't that much meat yet.
2) He's the guy who makes / collects the maps and illustrations (in-universe).
3) There are hints in the other books (talking to spook is the big one) but yeah it's a SH thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Lester Shy posted:

I finished Bands of Mourning a few days ago and really enjoyed the whole series. It's amazing to binge all these books and watch Sanderson improve as a writer in real time; aside from Mistborn 2, each successive book was better than the last. I'm not looking forward to waiting for the next book, but at least it will actually come out within the decade.

I haven't read Secret History, and I don't think you can even buy it until September, so I'm gonna start on Stormlight 1 and 2 to hold me over until Arcanum Unbounded comes out.

Semi-spoilery questions:

- Someone (VenDell, I think) in BoM mentions that four people have held the power at the Well of Ascension: Rashek, Vin, Sazed and Kelsier. But I don't remember Kelsier doing that. Am I dumb, or is that a Secret History thing?

I'm pretty sure Secret History is still available as an ebook on Brandon's site.

Answers:
In that it has the most direct Hoid interaction, yes.
Not really. Nazh hasn't done much on screen.
Yes, that is a Secret History thibg.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

I finished Bands of Mourning a few days ago and really enjoyed the whole series. It's amazing to binge all these books and watch Sanderson improve as a writer in real time; aside from Mistborn 2, each successive book was better than the last. I'm not looking forward to waiting for the next book, but at least it will actually come out within the decade.

I haven't read Secret History, and I don't think you can even buy it until September, so I'm gonna start on Stormlight 1 and 2 to hold me over until Arcanum Unbounded comes out.

Semi-spoilery questions:

You're not really supposed to know who Nazh is. Looking him up at http://coppermind.net/wiki/Nazrilof reveals that he made a cameo appearance in Words of Radiance, though.

Kelsier holding the power is indeed in Secret History.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

not currently. secret history is the most heavily "cosmere" book at the moment, so id put the "meat" of the cosmere story in the mistborn books right now

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Law Cheetah posted:

not currently. secret history is the most heavily "cosmere" book at the moment, so id put the "meat" of the cosmere story in the mistborn books right now

It's a little bit of both. Mistborn trilogy does a good job of demonstrating what a shard of Adonalsium is via direct interaction with Ruin and Preservation. Stormlight teases you with hints on how different shards can interact with each other and the ways that the realms are structured (basically Plato's theory of forms). Secret History mostly just spells out what you can infer from the first two.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Don't forget The Emperor's Soul, where Shai gives us an in-world explanation of Realmatic Theory!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Met Sanderson at Dragoncon today he's like the nicest dude of all time. No real new information except the videa games just can't get funding thanks to the flopping of Kingdom of Amalur.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

socialsecurity posted:

Met Sanderson at Dragoncon today he's like the nicest dude of all time. No real new information except the videa games just can't get funding thanks to the flopping of Kingdom of Amalur.

I really want a Mistborn game made by Arkane (the guys behind Dishonored).

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

socialsecurity posted:

This reminds me that I'm still amazed that MMOs were ever seen by some companies/investors as a 'cash cow' because WoW did it.
Making a good MMO is probably literally the hardest, most complex kind of game it is possible to make. It's probably the hardest kind of software it's possible to make for any kind of commercial/business purpose.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I just finished Rithmatist today and, while I understand it's one of his weaker novels, ughhhh I can't wait for the next one

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Lprsti99 posted:

I really want a Mistborn game made by Arkane (the guys behind Dishonored).
A game with Marsh as the protagonist that goes through the story of him getting his spikes would be rad. Ample opportunity for progressively more interesting and complex gameplay via spiking mistings for new powers, and it would be dark as gently caress, which would play to their strengths. Steelpushing/pulling would be the linchpin for gameplay being fun or awful, so that would have to be carefully done. Get Sanderson to write the script (he probably already has one) and it would be a hit.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Just finished a re-read of Words of Radiance and I was sort of shocked how much I enjoyed it even knowing all the twists and turns that were coming. I've always viewed Sanderson as a heavily flawed author but the engrossing nature of some of his plots really makes up for a whole heck of a lot. My one main concern with the Stormlight Archives is the potential for the cosmere to overtake the in world focus. It's only been two books and Roshar is already a sprawling collection of varied and detailed cultures, locations, and magic systems with too many characters to remember. Tossing in everything else that Sanderson has written would probably just lead to severe over saturation. It's great to have little winks here and there like Wit downing some metals for soothing but if the whole elaborate Sanderverse becomes required reading I'd have to tap out. I really really don't want to tap out.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Just finished a re-read of Words of Radiance and I was sort of shocked how much I enjoyed it even knowing all the twists and turns that were coming. I've always viewed Sanderson as a heavily flawed author but the engrossing nature of some of his plots really makes up for a whole heck of a lot. My one main concern with the Stormlight Archives is the potential for the cosmere to overtake the in world focus. It's only been two books and Roshar is already a sprawling collection of varied and detailed cultures, locations, and magic systems with too many characters to remember. Tossing in everything else that Sanderson has written would probably just lead to severe over saturation. It's great to have little winks here and there like Wit downing some metals for soothing but if the whole elaborate Sanderverse becomes required reading I'd have to tap out. I really really don't want to tap out.

I can't see him making the mistake of cluttering a book with every magic system he's put in place across the cosmere. There's already hints that there is a grand unifying theory about how the magic systems work in the background (focus, investiture), and the stormlight archive will either ascend to discuss things on that level or it will stay confined to the conflicts on Roshar

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Daric posted:

I just finished Rithmatist today and, while I understand it's one of his weaker novels, ughhhh I can't wait for the next one
I liked it way more than the Reckoners trilogy.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Cicero posted:

I liked it way more than the Reckoners trilogy.

Same.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Sanderson mentioned on reddit that he thinks book 3 of SA will be 450,000 words. To put that into perspective WoR was 400,000 words.

He also mentioned that these books are taking longer than he expected, but the way his editorial process is setup the book is still on schedule for late 2017. I blew through Words of Radiance last winter because I thought the third book was supposed to be out this summer :smith:. Just did a re-read of WoK and WoR though. Very rereadable, but I skipped Leaf's interlude

Spoiler maybe: many/all of the death rattles are what is going on with the upcoming Radiants apparently. Stuff Kaladin was doing or going to do. I missed that on both reads.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Knyteguy posted:

Sanderson mentioned on reddit that he thinks book 3 of SA will be 450,000 words. To put that into perspective WoR was 400,000 words.

He also mentioned that these books are taking longer than he expected, but the way his editorial process is setup the book is still on schedule for late 2017. I blew through Words of Radiance last winter because I thought the third book was supposed to be out this summer :smith:. Just did a re-read of WoK and WoR though. Very rereadable, but I skipped Leaf's interlude

Neutral news: the reason book 3 is taking so long is because he's also writing the szeth flashbacks for book 4 to make sure there's good continuity.

Good news, he's got a stormlight novella set after WoR coming out in a couple months.

Bad news, it's All-Lift-All-The-Time

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Eh, she's supposed to be older in this, maybe she'll be less obnoxious as an adult?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Avalerion posted:

Eh, she's supposed to be older in this, maybe she'll be less obnoxious as an adult?

Awesome

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
The novella Edgedancer takes place shortly after WoR, so she'll be a few months older at most. Later on, in the second half of the series, she'll have a viewpoint book taking place 10+ years after book 5 when she'll be in the 25-30 range.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

eszett engma posted:

The novella Edgedancer takes place shortly after WoR, so she'll be a few months older at most. Later on, in the second half of the series, she'll have a viewpoint book taking place 10+ years after book 5 when she'll be in the 25-30 range.

She's not older but she definitely has a growing up moment from what I can tell. It looks like Sanderson released a snippet of Edgedancer in his newsletter. Turns out Lift's request to the Nightwatcher was something along the lines of staying the same while the world changed around her and that she realizes it is not the boon she was given.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

mewse posted:

Awesome

And reply spren manifested in their very interesting and specific way upon submission of this post.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

For those who don't follow Sanderson on Twitter or elsewhere, here's the Reddit thread referred to by Modest Mouse: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/51u8qu/oathbringer_spoilers_stormlight_three_update_4/

Stormwatch update: Sanderson has updated the progress meter on SA3 by 2% and 3% the past two Tuesdays since he's been back from touring - which didn't include the Szeth flashbacks. Since his goal is to finish the book by late October when he is due to go on his next tour, here's hoping for a massive meter bump this Tuesday!

Only a month to go until Arcanum Unbounded...unfortunately since I already have everything except for Edgedancer, I may hold off until I can buy the novella separately...

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Blood Mirror (Lightbringer book 4) is out today! Somewhat relevant to the thread because IIRC Brent Weeks is the guy Sanderson has said should continues his series should he die.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Weeks is also doing an AMA this week
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/595vzx/i_am_epic_fantasy_author_brent_weeks_i_talk_to/

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I love how his biopic on google shows this clean cut dude who looks like a Mormon or some poo poo,, and the pic of him with the first copy of Broken Mirror is this bloated metalhead-looking dude with two huge red braids, eating a book

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

88 forum posts later and I've read all available Cosmere material. I guess it's time to ease into the slow burn of over analysing every sentence and complaining about Brandon's early work :D

I think WoR is the best fantasy novel I've ever read, hands down. I got caught by a manager today hiding in a meeting room trying to finish the Kaladin/Moash stand-off in peace. Absolutely phenomenal.

Has anyone here played the Mistborn Adventure Game? I am thinking of picking it up for my role playing group as it's an excuse to force other people to read the books.

mewse
May 2, 2006

lolasaurusrex posted:

Has anyone here played the Mistborn Adventure Game? I am thinking of picking it up for my role playing group as it's an excuse to force other people to read the books.

Be warned a lot of people didn't like the mistborn novels

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like the mistborn novels.

mewse
May 2, 2006

So do I, I was surprised when I found out that they are disliked by a lot of people, and it tempers my recommendation. I think the emperor's soul is the most solid of his works to recommend to someone, and if they like the style they can continue from there.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Hope you're ready for the Brandon Sanderson Cinematic Universe

DMG Nabs Rights to Brandon Sanderson’s ‘Cosmere’ Book Universe in Massive Deal

quote:

DMG Entertainment has nabbed film and licensing rights to “Cosmere,” Brandon Sanderson’s acclaimed series of interconnected fantasy novels. The entertainment and media company has committed to spending $270 million, which will cover half of the money needed to back the first three movies made from Sanderson’s canon. That makes it one of the largest literary deals of the year. DMG beat out several interested parties for rights to the series. As part of the pact, insiders say Sanderson will receive a minimum guarantee on each film that is produced, as well as a rich backend, allowing the author to make millions.

The “Cosmere” comprises the bulk of Sanderson’s writings, with DMG likening it to acquiring a comic book universe rather than a single book franchise. The books are a mixture of sci-fi and fantasy, and they unfold in a number of different worlds and time periods, but are unified by an intricate system of magic that drives the plots.

DMG is fast-tracking an adaptation of Sanderson’s “The Way of Kings,” the first in the author’s series, “The Stormlight Archive,” and has hired screenwriters Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan, the writing team behind several “Saw” films, to adapt the book. DMG founder Dan Mintz will produce the film, with Sanderson and Joshua Bilmes serving as executive producers. DMG also intends on simultaneously adapting the first book in Sanderson’s “Mistborn” series. It has yet to decide on a screenwriter for the project.

Sanderson’s books’ global sales top 10 million copies, making him one of the few top-selling authors without a produced movie of his work.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/brandon-sanderson-cosmere-movie-adaptation-dmg-1201902500/

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Marvel Cinematic Universe, not DC Cinematic Universe, which has been a complete shitshow.

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

I tell you what, this is a loving amazing time to have jumped on this bandwagon.

If they don't mess this up it could really be something. I think Stormlight would make a better TV Series, but films would be fine. I guess the Cosmere doesn't have the level of pop-culture penetration that GRRM's work does, so it's unlikely anyone is going to commit to multi-series TV shows.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I think Mistborn actually has good potential as a popular tv series or movie. I don't think anything will live up to game of thrones. One of the reasons being that HBO produces GOT and it got some very good director/writers. The screenwriter for The way of kings don't seem that promising but who knows. I think if they can get some promising director/actor it should do well enough.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Problem I see is having exposition dump on how various metals and poo poo work and a lot of problems showing the various effects. On paper that's fine (even though it also has some problems in his books too but it's sort of necessary anyways) but I don't see that translating to screen well. You pretty much have to insert the equivalent of Ellen Paige's character from Inception and have some guy just sit there for like 10 minutes talking about steel vs copper vs zinc etc and all the other magic system stuff.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xaris posted:

Problem I see is having exposition dump on how various metals and poo poo work and a lot of problems showing the various effects. On paper that's fine (even though it also has some problems in his books too but it's sort of necessary anyways) but I don't see that translating to screen well. You pretty much have to insert the equivalent of Ellen Paige's character from Inception and have some guy just sit there for like 10 minutes talking about steel vs copper vs zinc etc and all the other magic system stuff.

Yeah, obviously the powers are gonna have to be more visual as well. Misty sfx red-rage-cloud or stuff for the emotional metals, changing the steel and iron to not be super-cluttered on screen, things like that.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Cutting way of Kings down to a two and a half hour movie sounds painful. The first mistborn book probably wouldn't be that bad to do as a movie. Books 2 and 3 on the other hand I don't know how all this will transfer to a different medium.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brandon's been posting on reddit about it a bit

quote:

Okay, before you all freak out too much, let's manage some expectations. I am obviously very excited, and am pleased with DMG. So far they have been very good to work with, and have involved me a great deal.

But understand that films and television take a LONG time and lots of luck to get off the ground. Usually, this is the process:

1) A studio or producer "options" a work. (They pay around five or ten percent of a negotiated purchase price to kind of "rent" the right to start development on a property.)

2). The studio or production company commissions a screenplay.

3) The screenplay goes through several revisions or drafts as needed.

4). The finished screenplay is used to attach a director or actors.

5) Based on the strength of the screenplay or talent attached, a studio funds and greenlights the film.

This is very simplified, of course. The thing to remember is that steps two through four often take years, and many properties under option never become films. The Wheel of Time got to step three and stayed there for years, and is now back to step two. Enders Game spent twenty years going through these steps over and over.

This is why you will often hear announcements like this, then hear nothing more for years.

I hope we will be reasonably quick, and DMG's enthusiasm and commitment has been excellent so far. I really feel they are going to make this happen. But do understand that we still have a long road ahead of us, and you will probably not get any good updates (beyond "all is well") until very late in the process.

quote:

Really, right now, most of what they are doing is saying, "what would this look like?" Getting a handle on the Cosmere is a big job, and so they are exploring everything too see what works best. Emperors Soul is what first drew them to me, so that isn't off the table either. I strongly suspect Mistborn will happen first, if we do get to the greenlight stage.

quote:

Too early to tell. But I wouldn't want to have too much. I'm not a film maker. I have told them from the start that I want creative input, but that I feel the best adaptations happen when passionate film makers are allowed freedom to practice their art.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Xaris posted:

That is literally Vins purpose in the first half of the first book,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

lolasaurusrex posted:

I tell you what, this is a loving amazing time to have jumped on this bandwagon.

If they don't mess this up it could really be something. I think Stormlight would make a better TV Series, but films would be fine. I guess the Cosmere doesn't have the level of pop-culture penetration that GRRM's work does, so it's unlikely anyone is going to commit to multi-series TV shows.

I don't really think I would call what GOT had before the HBO series as pop-culture penetration. It was popular among sci-fi nerds sure, but I can't imagine more than like 20% of the viewers/fans have actually read the books (that number is somewhat pulled out of my rear end, but it holds true among my acquaintances).

For that matter, what percentage fans of the Marvel movies and such have actually read the comics?