Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Not A Hydroxyl Ion posted:

Unfortunately, it now appears to be missing from BYU's library. I decided to look it up and see if there was a way to borrow it and its status says it's lost.

Lost... or stolen? :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Thoguh posted:

As long as their braids stay untugged and their skirts stay rumpled I can deal with it.

But what about their Safehands?

Sadly, I'm only about ~10 or so chapters in, mainly due to alternating with Hero of Ages when it was in a slump (loving Sazed chapters). Guess I'm gonna have to go MIA from this thread for a few weeks until I'm done... :ohdear:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Shardlades are just really big Hemalurgic Spikes :aaaaa:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Honestly, if I was gonna buy just one Sanderson book it'd be Warbreaker. Only it and Elantris are stand-alone (for now, I know he's gonna make a sequel for it eventually) and it's pretty much the better of the two.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Quick question: Does this require signing up for anything, or is it just one quick comment and you're done?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

calandryll posted:

Where the hell does he get all of this time?

Well, being a practicing Mormon kinda cuts down on your downtime options.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Rootbeer Baron posted:

The Lightsong chapters in Warbreaker were borderline unreadable because of this kind of dialogue. I love Sanderson but the man just doesn't have an ear for humor.

I dunno, I kinda liked the "homicidal hat trick" line in HoA.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

IRQ posted:

It would make a pretty badass platformer I have to agree.

Platformer? gently caress that, use the Assassin's Creed engine. Hell, you can even use the economy system from Brotherhood/Revelations as a Skaa Rebellion mechanic.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 16, 2011

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

IRQ posted:

Yes there are and they are quite good!

But literally nobody who says a fantasy series should be animated is talking about anything other than anime.

Yeah, western animated fantasy just doesn't happen.

I mean, apart from Gargoyles, The Sword In The Stone, The Black Cauldron, The Black Crystal (do puppets count?), The Secret of NIMH, How To Train Your Dragon...

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Cartoon Man posted:

Probably too early to get excited about it, but...

Steal the Assasin's Creed engine, work Allomancy/Feruchemy/Hemalurgy into it, and off we go....

Game needs to take place 2 years before the events of the first book and start the game by playing as Kelsier crawling through the pits of Hasthin before he snapped. Then he could meet his mentor that never really got mentioned much in the books. Lots of his backstory could be explored and expanded upon with Brandon giving guidance along the way so it doesn't suck.

The Final Empire: Assassin's Creed
Well of Ascension: Tower Defense game
Hero of Ages: Command & Conquer, replace all mentions of Tiberium with Atium.
The Alloy of Law: Just remake Arcanum.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Affi posted:

But.. that is book 1 of 10 right? Which ones are finished? Warbreaker is complete right? That's only one book right? I somehow don't want to read Elantris.. so i'll postpone it.

He's got a Warbreaker sequel planned and it's on his "stuff I'll get to eventually" list. After the second mistborn trilogy and Stormlight books two and three.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

treeboy posted:

Ubisoft could probably rock out a Mistborn game pretty well, it'd be like Assassin's Creed with magic

Knowing Ubisoft's usual business practices, it'll use the Just Dance engine :suicide:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Affi posted:

What is a bendalloy? They never explain I think.

According to that giant chart poster in Sanderson's store, Cadmium and Bendalloy are able to alter the flow of time in a small area around the user. Cadmium makes time slower, Bendalloy speeds it up. These would be "the two unknown metals" mentioned by Sazed in the Hero of Ages epilogue.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Oh right, forgot all about Chromium. And good thing too, because it's possibly the most broken of the metals.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
He usually waits a month or two before posting the text, like he's gonna do with that "Sanderson's Second Law" essay.

e: Oh hey. According to his Twitter he's gonna sell it on his store later on, ala that Allomantic Metals Chart.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 13, 2011

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

A Nice Boy posted:

Goddamn, dude's going to post the entire book on the internet, chapter by chapter.

According to his blog it's actually gonna end up being 1/3 of the entire book. So not the whole thing, but still holy poo poo that's a lot.

But still, it's not like there isn't a precedent for this with Warbreaker. Sanderson is pretty much the most web-friendly author ever (with Ellis and Gaiman tied at a close second? I dunno).

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Does this really need to be spoilered?

Yeah, it was never stated definitively in the epigraphs/annotations that it was one of the 16 metals, Elend just jumped to that conclusion himself. Hell, even the fact that there were 16 metals was just Yomen extrapolating from known info (and probably substituting Atium and Malatium for one of the missing two pairs). The 1/16th of 1/16th WAS a message from Preservation though, showing that these Mistings were even more special than the rest.

Janac posted:

Why isn't malatium aka the eleventh metal in there?

Just wondering.

Because, IIRC, Sanderson said there were actually multiple potential alloys of Atium and Lerasium, but Malatium (Atium + Gold, fittingly enough) was the only one discovered due to the base metals' rarity.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 14, 2011

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So, finally read the newest preview chapter.

quote:

“I’ll bet the captives were all Allomancers, secretly,” Waxillium said. “The thieves had aluminum bullets to deal with Coinshots, Lurchers, and Thugs. And if we were able to catch any of the thieves, I’ll bet good money that we’d find them wearing aluminum linings in their hats to shield their emotions from being Pushed or Pulled on.” That wasn’t uncommon among the city’s elite as well, though the common men couldn’t afford such luxury.

Tinfoil hats to keep them from controlling your brain are literally part of the magic system now :haw:

Also, "the Faceless Immortals, the hands of Harmony." Confirmation that the Kandra are back?

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 14, 2011

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Democratic Pirate posted:

Assuming Harmony is Sazed, I really like how one of the main tenets of his religion is "don't waste time worshipping me."

That and what is essentially his bible is the abridged version of all the poo poo in his Metalminds.

Goddamn I should really start editing this in instead of replying so much, starting to get kinda self-conscious here.

e:

Honestly, Lightsong is probably his best attempt at humor.

See Also:

quote:

"I've actually considered expanding the theory. I am now proposing to believe that God—or the universe, or time, or whatever you think controls all of this—is all really just a drunk monkey."

She leaned over, squeezing her arms together, seriously threatening to pop her bosom out the front of her dress. "And, you think my title was chosen by happenstance? Goddess of honesty and interpersonal relations. Seems to fit, wouldn't you say?"

He hesitated. Then he smiled. "My dear, did you just try to prove the existence of God with your cleavage?"

She smiled. "You'd be surprised what a good wriggle of the chest can accomplish."

"Hum. I'd never considered the theological power of your breasts, my dear. If there were a Church devoted to them, perhaps you'd make a theist out of me after all."

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 14, 2011

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

treeboy posted:

I would recommend Warbreaker as well, people tend to feel it's one of his weaker stories but I thoroughly enjoyed it

On the other hand, it's almost undeniably his lightest story, making it the perfect palate cleanser after Mistborn and before the sheer :smithicide: that are the Kaladin chapters in WoK.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Nah, they could quit whenever they wanted. Sure it involved jumping off a cliff, but the option was there :haw:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
drat, only one anywhere near me got cancelled.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

pakman posted:

Have you just read the first book?

Have you not read the last book? The world would be doomed by Vin's idiocy if he wasn't there.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Gotta say, didn't expect Inquisitor spikes to go THAT far out the back of their heat. I thought it'd be a pair of nubs, not a wannabe Tiefling.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Victorkm posted:

I totally did, but I thought they came further out the front.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Especially with the Zane & Spook chapters talking about clothing how unobtrusive their spikes felt, I figured with the head spikes it would look more like the most :black101: pair of goggles, with larger heads and sticking maybe an inch or two out the back.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Actually, taking a look at the picture again, I just noticed the dice. D6s with custom marks on 6 and either 1 or 5.

Is... is this another FATE system game?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Welp, went and pre-ordered Super Mistborn RPG sight unseen, knowing absolutely nothing about the system, power level, new fluff, or if you'd even be able to roll an Alloy-style Twinborn.

I am Sanderson's bitch :smith:

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 4, 2011

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Alloy of Law:
So apparently at some point Koloss blood entered the general population. I don't even want to think about how that happened :gonk:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

BananaNutkins posted:

I cannot grok how anyone would anyone put that...thing on a list

The book was made because of a bet, and lost to Battlefield Earth. That's how bad it is.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

omnibobb posted:

I got Hoid.

You lucky bastard :argh:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

arioch posted:

Sanderson has given a full list of the 16 metals and he is putting them to use in Alloy of Law.

And then there's the intended use for Larasium, which he STILL hasn't told us anything about :doom:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Oh gently caress yes. I've been wanting that inside cover image since the book first came out.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

keiran_helcyan posted:

I'm reading Well of Ascension for the first time, about halfway through now. These characters sure have acquired a lot of angst since the first novel. I don't mind soul searching in my characters, but I think I've read about 300 solid pages of WHO AM I.

It's even worse if you read the annotations and find out that Sanderson had actually toned Sazed down from the earlier drafts.
On the bright side, at least Breeze is doing okay :unsmith:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So this showed up on Sanderson's blog yesterday, surprised nobody's mentioned it. I mean yeah, more :jerkbag: fanwankery, but I gotta say it got the desired reaction out of me.

Well, except for the sheer horror of having that RE fight stand-in for Vin vs. an Inquisitor at the end, which would mean the theoretical movie would have the stink of Paul WS Anderson all over it.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
And thus, the moral of the Mistborn series reveals itself:

Man, Jesus was kind of a dick.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Skellen posted:

Just have whomever did Crouching Tiger do it.

Keep in mind this is the same man who made the first Hulk movie.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Umph posted:

Just loving tore up the mistborn trilogy, felt hollow inside when it ended, palm slammed Way of Kings in like a week, fistpumping at the ending, and now I realy don't know what to do.

Wait a month and resist the urge to read the Alloy of Law preview chapters?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel, the two characters I actually liked look like they'll be the stars, the two incredibly annoying characters are dead, and the two meh characters will hopefully be taking a back seat.

Honestly, he kinda wrote himself into that problem in the first book. Not to get to spoiler-y, but he pretty much had the same problem that Hideo Kojima had in MGS2, especially regarding the Vivenna chapters. Good in theory, mildly annoying in practice.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

treeboy posted:

just gonna leave this right here...

(it's quite good so far, had it for about a week and only getting around to reading it now)

Please, spoil me: Does TenSoon actually show up, or are the "Faceless Immortals" just mentioned offhand a couple times?

Yes or no will be fine, I don't want to be spoiled THAT much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Omnomnomnivore posted:

My only question is why isn't there an Allomancer video game?

Sanderson decided to go the P&P RPG route first because he's that drat nerdy.

Of course, this is also the guy who was willing to trade signed advance copies of Alloy of Law for sealed M:tG starter decks, so it's hardly surprising.