Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

api call girl posted:

As far as I can tell, and going by the appendices thus far all we've seen in fabrial construction are spren/gemcutting combinations, so you're going to have to explain yourself.

One of Navani's notebook pages mentions stormlight patterns used in a fabrial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Imho, the Wheel of Time world is generally a more optimistic setting than Scadrial. Sanderson was a good fit for WoT, there was no explicit sex or rape or too graphic violence even before he took over. And no creepy sexual fetishes, either.

Tell me more about the magic collars that compel a channeler's obedience and the whole power-exchange marriage that Lan and Nynaeve end up in. :allears:
Like, it's fair to say that WoT isn't super creepy or anything, but Jordan definitely wrote his kinks.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Sab669 posted:

It's a little cheesy, but I don't think it's any worse than any other "fantasy terminology". I've seen people complain about "Allomancy" when reading Mistborn and I was just like, is that any worse than Pyromancy or Cryomancy?

No, but those are also bad. :colbert:
All the "-mancy" names for magic are dumb anyway, since as a suffix it actually indicates a method of divination.
Necromancy meant to fortell the future by communing with the dead, not to make zombies.

My favourite is Oenomancy, which is to fortell the future by getting really loving drunk.