Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Of course certain publishers have decided that isn't true, and editors' time is best spent trawling through manuscripts looking for inane crap to save a few bucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Subterranean didn't acquire the ebook rights? Someone is bad at negotiation.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
There's nothing in the book that shows either way of his wife being the curse or boon. But then Brandon just told everyone which it was.

That is seriously my biggest problem with BS; he did it constantly with TWoT as well. It's really bad form to tell people anything significant outside of books because then you end up killing the guessing game, and potentially thinking your other readers know more than they really do.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I found it a bit disappointing personally. I mean it's a YA so you can't expect that much, but I guessed all the twists from their first clue, thought all the characters were flat, and found the prose boring and simplistic. "Epics" is also a stupid name.

It was though - as always - very tightly put together, and I'd definitely recommend it to teenagers.

Also, my suspicion is all Epics are Gifters, and most just never try/let anyone know.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Democratic Pirate posted:

Rithmatist: I'm leaning towards the main character does have powers, based on the weird thing that happened in the chamber, but doesn't believe it yet so his lines don't work. I doubt kids who didn't get powers would not be able to talk about a weird chalkman character.

Pretty sure he got chosen but his mechanical coin thing scared off the chalk man, since they hate clockwork.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Newcago is the single best thing about the book and I refuse to hear otherwise.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Ending spoilers I definitely think the Everstorm is bringing in more types of voidspren "themissingpiecePushfortheAlethitodestroythemoutrightbeforethisoneobtainstheirpowerItwillformabridge", but even with just Stormform parshmen to begin it's pretty drat bad. The Parshendi army is minuscule compared to all the Parshmen in Roshar. And all those Parshmen are in farms, towns, and cities among civilians; away from armies. We could well see the infrastructure and population of the world demolished after the first pass.

It definitely seems so far that voidspren are the voidbringers, and parshmen are just favored hosts. Some spren can bond to rocks and become thunderclasts. Who wants to see what happens when one bonds with a chasmfiend?

Oh, and don't forget the west half of the continent. They've never even *seen* a highstorm before. Their livestock don't have shells, their crops can't hide, and their buildings aren't buried or reinforced.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I really wish he'd stop doing that. I could probably have eked a little more entertainment out of AMoL if I'd actually had some twists left to see...

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Odium isn't on Roshar; he's trapped on a second planet in the same solar system. It's almost certainly the hell like place that Heralds go while dead.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
If you assume that the KR orders had a hierarchical system, it makes a lot of sense. It's not just saying the words and having to stick by them, it's understanding them and really believing them. Some members have sworn the first, some the first two, but only a few would be able to say the third and really mean it.

So while they can all do a lot of good, only knights who have sword the third have the authority to do big stuff like making policy decisions.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Habibi posted:

If Elhokar was defenseless, the second ideal should have applied, regardless of how he feels about him. The oath he ends up speaking actually doesn't have anything to do with ability to defend oneself. What makes it strange is specifically that it applies to people he hates, and only if it's right. Soo... what about people he doesn't hate? Isn't it a little odd that he spoke oaths that explicitly denote that he would protect people he hates on a wider spectrum (by eschewing reliance on their ability to defend themselves) than people he doesn't .

Windrunners still have to choose the causes for which they'll fight. Like the conversation he has with Syl about Parshendi; he fights them instead of protecting, because he wants to protect his allies instead. You could spin killing Elhokar as protecting the people, but he knows that for him it would be a choice made purely because of his personal feelings towards Elhokar. The third ideal is to 'journey before destination' as the second is to 'strength before weakness'.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
"all on purpose"

suuuure, Adolin

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I honestly think you're reaching in an attempt to be offended there.

And no, just because someone is Mormon, it does not mean they are a racist.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Are you drunk?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Odium smashes up the local shard way before the events of Elantris. The earthquake was unrelated.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Dravs posted:

If a shard dies though, I think that the power goes somewhere(?) Like, it doesn't just dissapear, it has to be absorbed into someone.

I assume that's how Elantrians work. The shard tries to choose a new holder but it doesn't work because it's broken, so they just end up with a little bit of it.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Honestly, if you can't enjoy the beauty of "Newcago" I'm not sure why you're reading genre fiction. Every instance put a smile on my face. (Which was nice, because the book was otherwise rather dull)

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I've got to broadly agree, even on the front of Elantris being better (and that was a distinctly amateurish novel). Mistborn just reads like YA stretched out ridiculously thin. I think I've read the trilogy twice, and I still don't remember who any of the characters are. At least for Elantris I can broadly remember everyone's motivations and personalities. Well, minus the female lead who was just blerg. I can't remenber anyone's ridiculous names though.

His writing is so much better by TWoK I really don't understand why people keep recommending Mistborn. They are not very good books.

Like most of his writing though, it is very readable. Unlike Damo I usually *do* put books down if I don't really enjoy them; until TWoK I was basically just reading for the world building.

mossyfisk fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 23, 2014

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
So... what you want is a novel where the main characters do nothing to resolve the story, because that would be too much like japanese cartoons?

The ending of Warbreaker is terrible though. That book has more holes in it than a sponge. Nor is it helped by Sanderson's lackluster descriptive prose. Colour was a huge thing in the book, and there was something about being in the tropics (it didn't seem to come up); but I have no idea what the world of Warbreaker actually looks like. The entire thing takes place in grey corridors and small lawns, with the occasional, "This room is orange!".

mossyfisk fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 6, 2014

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
In case the idea of having fun figuring things out is anathema to you, Sanderson has publicly responded to a question on the topic by saying (paraphrased), "Huh, I never thought of that. His curse is not remembering his wife."

I can't remember the exact source.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Torrannor posted:

The Kelewan books were my favorites actually.

That's likely because his wife is a significantly better writer.

It does get a bit "Why is this fantasy novel just the Meiji Restoration" though.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
YA is a publishing demographic that determines how a book is marketed and sold. There is no definition to seperate the two (simply who buys the manuscript), but common features of YA include simplistic prose, a lack of violent or sexual imagery, teenage protagonists etc.

Since the choice is made on a case by case basis there is a lot purchased for the adult domestic market but bought as YA elsewhere, because the market is different. Similar to the way many non-english speaking countries tend to split everything into volumes because they don't sell thick books.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Sanderson's just loving awful for telling people poo poo at signings/cons/etc. He basically killed TWoT theory arguments by telling people everything outside books.

Take, for instance, Dalinar's boon/curse. You can read the book and go "ooh, maybe he asked to forget his wife and the curse is something else, that'd be interesting", but then Sanderson just goes "no I didn't even think of that" at a book store signing. Oh boy super fun.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
There's like a half dozen unknown metals that Harmony added to the whole system, so honestly it isn't worth thinking about that hard. It's probably one of them.

Edit: Never mind the fourth magic system that they use on the other continent.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

No

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Torrannor posted:

Final Empire becomes "Children of the Mists" (Kinder des Nebels), The Well of Ascension becomes "Warriors of Fire" (Krieger des Feuers), The Hero of Ages becomes "Ruler(s) of Light" (Herrscher des Lichts), and Alloy of Law becomes "Hunters of the Power" (Jäger der Macht). Can these titles be any more generic? I found Alloy of Law especially creative, and the translators simply botched it.

Unlike the stunningly original titles "Final Empire" and "The Hero Of Ages"?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Thought it was obvious a bit too early that the governor had been replaced

As for the next book, I'm figuring Kelsier is the big bad? Sazed mentions that he used to talk to him but doesn't any more. And our raft of villains are all obsessed with bringing down the aristocracy and granting freedom to the working man (skaa). I'm also super interested to find out what the Koloss are up to in general; they're obviously still practicing hemalurgy and apparently openly recruit? Wax mentions they offer to let you join.

Oh, and a mention of the lads down south too. Implying they have air travel and radio; that suggests a technological level sufficient to figure out the north pole is habitable and send an expedition to explore. Presuming that is the plot of the next mistborn trilogy.

mossyfisk fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Oct 9, 2015

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
What happens if you compound copper, anyway? Do you just remember stuff really hard?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Ethiser posted:

Being super lucky all the time sounds like a great power to give a long lasting antagonist.

Makes you think about how ridiculously overpowered the Lord Ruler was.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Personally I think the Mistborn books are crap, and it always astounds me when someone suggests them as a place to start. It's cardboard-character YA fantasy that goes on a few hundred thousand words too long.

He's an interesting author to follow because his writing has gotten consistently better over the years, rather than just sticking at the first success. By the time you hit Emperor's Soul or Way Of Kings (about ten novels into his career) they actually get quite enjoyable.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
That was one of my big issues with Warbreaker. There's just no reason that everyone shouldn't be walking around with their ancestors' Breaths. All it would take is some mention of dying without your Breath being religously ominous, but it never comes up.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Officially placing my bet that Trell is an ancient space computer, I am prepared to collect my winnings in 15 years.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I got the impression that the actual mechanics behind Kandra have changed as well. We haven't seen any mention of the Gifts that used to come with their sapience before Sazed shook things up.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Tahirovic posted:

It's not really looking good out there, I've tried some Brent Weeks, Anthony Ryan, Bernard Cornwell and some others but it just seems so average and has way more flaws than even Sanderson's early writings. I read that stuff and kinda enjoy it but it's still lacking something.

I liked Lightsong, so maybe it's just me and not those books.

Did you find a list of incredibly mediocre authors somewhere that you felt you should work through?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

senae posted:

She also does a lot of writing as Megan Lindholm (her real name) which tends to be lighter in tone and largely self contained.

Technically also a pen name (Margaret) and I have no idea how you got 'lighter in tone' considering most of it's about domestic abuse

Evil Fluffy posted:

Liveship Traders is in the same world as Assassin's Apprentice and not directly tied to it (though events in both affect later books) and very good as well after the initial start. The best way I can put it is that for the first ~100ish pages everyone is an rear end in a top hat, an idiot, or a dumb kid and you just want to beat them all with a crowbar until your arms get tired.

Which to be fair, is the point. The biggest weakness of the trilogy in my mind is that the younger sister doesn't experience character development so much as being replaced by an entirely different character between chapters.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Kwyndig posted:

Even if it does come out at this point there's no way he's getting another publisher contract unless it sits at the top of bestseller lists like a classic Steven King novel. He's done.

Oh come on, if he ever finishes it they'll sell a loving shitload. Even if he ends up taking 6-10 years to write another book, the return on the advance is still easily worth the risk. His agent would just have a rougher time negotiating the size of his advance.

Take everyone in this thread that knows who he is despite not having read the books: that's awareness marketing already done; not capitalizing on it would be a waste. He'd still be able to bid publishers against each other.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I would suggest a reading order of Emperor's Soul, followed by Stormlight 1-2

Honestly; Elantris, Mistborn and Warbreaker are too flawed for me to recommend them to a stranger. Work your way through all that stuff while waiting for the next Stormlight book.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Yes tell people to read the bad books first, that will get them on board

I'll grant you I'm in the minority in this thread in my dislike of Mistborn, but the most repeated question I hear about Sanderson is "I read Mistborn; why do you guys like this author so much?", so I may not be that rare in general.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
One of my problems with the Wax+Wayne books is the constant referencing of Mistborn characters that I literally don't remember despite having read the trilogy twice

This may be related to my refusal to learn character names, but everyone's cardboard cutout personalities don't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
More likely to be something further down the groups, in my mind. Something like Caesium or Radium: the descriptions are notably evocative of radiation. Keep an eye out in the next book for how many pilots have cancer.