Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I just finished the Mistborn trilogy and thoroughly enjoyed it. Currently reading Elantris, then will move onto the Stormlight Archives. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Officially read all of Brandon Sanderson's works.

Maaaan, the Stormlight Archives book is awesome! I started with Mistborn which was fuckin' A, Elantris was also pretty good.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

quiggy posted:

I don't want to wait that long.

I don't think any of us do.

Have you read Sanderson's other books? I'd definitely recommend them.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah, that must be brand new. I got in as Vin.

Managed to snag Kelsier. :smug:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

17th shard wiki. Start with the entry for "cosmere" and click down from there. Essentially the Universe was watched over by a Mega-God named Adonalsium. Something happened (don't know what yet) and he was split in 16 shards. These shards were taken up by 16 men who could use their powers to create worlds and magic systems.

Mistborn had 2 shards, Preservation and Ruin, that needed to be used together in order to create the world of Scadrial.

Elantris has at least two, possibly three. (Aon-Dor and whatever the Derethi were using, I forget what it was called.)

Way of Kings is beleived to have three. There's the god Jezer-something who created Shardplates, Shardblades, Surgebinding, Soulcasting, etc. Odium is the bad god who is using the voidbringers. Supposedly the Nightmother and "Old Magic" is also a shard, but who knows.

Warbreaker has at least 1 shard that allows for the "awakening" of things through Breath and such.

All of these are tied together through a plane of existence called the Shadesmar. Shallan and Jasnah visit this place at the end of Way of Kings.

Hoid is special because he shows up in all the books, usually for a scene or two. His mythology is further hinted at in Way of Kings where he is revealed to be a Worldsinger. Not much is known about them, but they can travel between the worlds (books) through the Shadesmar.

Brandon has talked about another idea for a book that would have a world were one of the Shards can manipulate sound. Beyond that he hasn't said much.

That's insane. If he ever manages to write all of the books for all of these series, and then some sort of link for inbetween ... it'll take him a very long time.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

pakman posted:

Book by Neal Stephenson

Oh my god yes.

This guy is an awesome writer.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

A Nice Boy posted:

Yeah, though I like Paul Bettany as Kelsier.

Wait what, Paul Bettany? He's awesome, don't think I've ever seen him play an rear end in a top hat character though.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

arioch posted:

But still an rear end in a top hat.

Yup. Smug, cocky and pushes people into situations that they ordinarily wouldn't find themselves in.

Leaders tend to have to be assholes at one point or another.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Mortanis posted:

Sanderson is indeed a cool guy. I noticed he lived in the same city as a friend of mine, and mentioned it to my friend. Figuring he had nothing to lose and that Sanderson seemed pretty approachable, he bugged him on Reddit about getting some books signed. Sanderson agreed, and a few days later my friend had a signed Mistborn trilogy in his hand.

Whoa. That is very cool! I wish I could get some of my books signed by the authors, but it's a one in a million chance of happening. Especially the first eds.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

pakman posted:

If that Mistborn movie gets made, I hope the jumping and fighting scenes are as awesome on screen as they were in my head while I was reading the series (they won't be because hollywood never fails to disappoint).

I would rather Hollywood had no part in the movies, because they'll just do the bare minimum work for the movie, expecting to get a massive profit. :colbert:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Kreeblah posted:

The Kindle books I've ordered have usually been delivered a minute or two after midnight (Pacific time) on release day.

Mine also. I usually get overexcited and spam the server at like 11:59. :ohdear:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Just finished Alloy of Law & enjoyed it. Just a bit sad that it seemed so short, after I devoured all these pages.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Just started reading Warbreaker and it's pretty good. About 80% of the way through.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Hugoon Chavez posted:

My only issue is Vin, she's nowhere near as cool as Kel =(

She gets way better, don't worry. :)

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I imagine he'd just say "Oh, I wrote it, and I kind of like signing things when I'm traveling. Here's my ID."

If it's an American airport, the airport security will just taze him on sight. Just kidding! ... I hope that really doesn't happen. :(

I would think that after an explanation, he would be okay ... but a few employees wouldn't believe him.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

soru posted:

Hey see that picture on the dust jacket? I'm him. That's me. Now please stop pepper spraying me.

I dunno, I've met some really dumb people at post offices (And other places)

"Yes, I am x person. Look, here's my driver's licence! ... do I really have to go home and get my passport? Okay, you know what, I want to see your manager. You're the manager? Oh man. Fine!"

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Silverfang posted:

I like to imagine that Sanderson has an entire office floor for his writing.

Complete with an office for each series.

I honestly cannot imagine any other way he would be able to keep everything straight and separate for the sheer volume of work to cranks out.

I imagine him having an evil writing lair like the Dark Brotherhood lair in Skyrim.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Vaevicti posted:

Wow, early next year? Brandon is a freaking writing machine. Considering he has not even started it yet, he would have to have this finished by early summer to have a early 2012 release.

Dude's been speaking to truck drivers.

"Really? So you guys take meth just to keep up 80+ hour weeks? drat, I have to try this stuff!"

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Its Kelsier vs some loser from the Hunger Games in this year's Suvudu cage match.

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2012/03/cage-match-2012-round-1-kelsier-versus-gale-hawthorne.html

This match would last all of 5 seconds...

Not even a second. That was a good read though!

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

bowmore posted:

I think I'm about the only person who liked Elend

You too? Nice!

I liked all of the characters though. :ohdear:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Zeitgueist posted:

- He apparently writes novellas on vacations and flights for shits and giggles.

There is something incredibly wrong with this man. Where is his sanity?!?! :v:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Don't forget all the time he plays Magic too! :v:

... conventions, shows, etc.

The man is insane.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Wow, that good? Guess I'll pick it up sometime this week.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Just read it on my Kindle, and it was painful. drat that % indicator jumping every time I read a page. :(

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Is the 4th Alcatraz book the last one in the series? Because the ending left a lot of things unresolved.

Sanderson! :argh:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

They're kind of trashy but I like them.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Oh how convenient

(I'm going to be saying that a lot over the course of this series, aren't I?)

Yes. Yes, you are. Especially in the last book. :v:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Brandon's giving out free copies of The Emperor's Soul over at his blog.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

For Worldcon members. Thanks for getting me excited, jerk! :(

(Note: not actually mad.)

But he's not actually asking for verification! :p

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

treeboy posted:

If I didn't know it's been time lapsed, based on his publishing schedule I'd think that's his actual typing speed.

Dear lord no! That's 10x slow motion! :v:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Last night, I decided to start re-reading Way of Kings and I got so hooked that when I finally closed the book it was 5AM and I had to get up for work at 8...

Sanderson! :argh:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Went to Amazon to preorder but Amazon said that I already preordered them, back in February! Feels like I'm getting free books. :neckbeard:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Xachariah posted:

They seem pretty different to me. :psyduck:

In Mistborn they digest base metals which allow them to manipulate electromagnetic fields, or they can store attributes in metals.

In Stormlight they inhale light caused by a continent sized supernatural storm which allows them to change gravity, or they can use the light to transmutate one material into another.

Wasn't there some storm in Mistborn too?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

cheese posted:

Actually, that would kind of make sense. I could see Dalinar wishing for the strength to avenge his brother, only to have that strength be twisted into an endless war that he must always fight.

But Dalinar was already renowned for being pretty kick rear end before all that happened though.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Dravs posted:

Also in Warbreaker he is the old storyteller that they bring to the palace to recount their history. He pops up all over the place. He is even in Elantris so he has always been a part of the greater scheme of things for Sanderson.

Edit: http://coppermind.net/wiki/Hoid is a good link for him, although I started on that page and a few hours later I was still reading that site. the amount of detail 'behind the scenes' is great to read about.

Oh my god, there is so much overlapping detail in all of the books. I'm so excited to see how this all pans out.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

The Dark Wind posted:

That might easily be the most epic thing I have ever heard. Good thing I have about a decade or so to read everything else he's ever written, but at the pace he writes at, trying to catch up might not actually be as simple as it sounds.

I'm betting that some of us will die before he finishes. Scary thought.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

AgentHaiTo posted:

When do the Kindle orders ship? At midnight?

"This title will be auto-delivered to your Kindle on September 24, 2013."

I assume so. But what timezone!?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Just finished the book. Wow! I read it all in one go and couldn't put it down. Well done, Sanderson!

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Fine, Fine! With your pages of redacted text. I'll buy Steelheart already.

You have made the correct decision!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Dravs posted:

Shia Lebouf for David?
Jean Reno for Prof?
Mila Kunis for Megan?

:stonklol:

I'd prefer unknown actors for a movie like this.