Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

quiggy posted:

I just finished the Mistborn trilogy last night and need to talk about the ending. drat that was a good series.

I gotta say, Sazed being the Hero of Ages was definitely not what I expected, but it was awesome and I loved every single piece of the last book. The moment when I realized who the Mistfallen were was also incredible. I just wish there would be more books about these characters, I love 'em all so much.

One thing I don't completely understand: when Alendi began his trek to the Well of Ascension, why were the mists beginning to gather already? Did Preservation see that Ruin's power was returning and create the mists to aid Alendi in his quest, or was it something else? It just seems weird to me that the Deepness, the thing everyone thought was going to destroy the world, was actually sent by Preservation.

Now that that's done I need to track down a copy of The Alloy of Law. Pity they didn't have it at my local bookstore :sigh:

The mist didn't just start gathering then, they were an occurance since Ruin's prison was built. Ruin manipulated texts to make it seem as if the deaths from snapping were more severe than they were and at the same time using what power he could use on the world itself to increase the crop failure to create an impending doom that wasn't really happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't think the names were in the book. Atium and lerasium come from them though.

They are, it might just be in the chapter post scripts though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So I'm finally sitting down with Way of Kings (reading Mistborn, Elantris, Warbreaker and White Sand in quick succession kinda burned me out on his stock characters) and I'm just wondering, this is his Exalted campaign isn't it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

treeboy posted:

Is White Sand available somewhere? I can't find any information about it other than it was something he wrote early on that was incomplete

I'm not sure, I think I got the copy I read from one of those old cd's TOR used to package with their hardcovers. You know, the ones that contained like 60-70 books in e-reader format.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

404GoonNotFound posted:

They just un-spiked themselves and were still safely within the Homeland caves when the sun came up. It was intended to be a suicidal action (at the very least, robbing them of their sentience and returning to being simple mistwraiths), but Ol' Ironeyes could have easily fixed them up again, now that he has a direct line to Harmony.

I figured it was the large group of them who were too much under the sway of Ruin to follow the order. Then Ruin dies and they're left spending the next few centuries trying to repent for failing in the entire job they were created for.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

veekie posted:

The Cosmere extends beyond any particular series I think. He had it in mind since before he started his writing career, and the people who know the most about it are his beta readers. Heck, we even saw Hoid in Mistborn, he was one of the informants.

I don't think Hoid shows up in White Sands but I don't know if it's supposed be a Cosmere book and was just befre he envisioned Hoid or a stand alone story.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well it's unpublished at least. It was one of his very first and he posted it to a listserv for people to critique. I think there's still a few versions floating around the net.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Fezz posted:

And if anyone gets their hands on White Sands, I expect a trip report to be posted here immediately.

It's not bad, definitely feels like an early work. All the normal criticisms of Sanderson are present, character-wise the protagonist are basically a carbon copy of the ones from Elantris. The world was acually pretty interesting, but the story itself kind of felt like a Star Wars/Dune mash up.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

thespaceinvader posted:

I quite like 'the less famous you are, the more power (on the proviso that it takes some special thing to have power at all). Mages who can ONLY work in the shadows...

Names have power and everyone that knows your name claims a small piece of your soul? The main villain could be a Keyser Soze figure that's murdered everyone that knows his real name while simultaneously meeting as many people as possible to learn their names?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I reread the part in Taravangian's chapter where he's talking to Szeth. It's mentioned that the Shin only have 8 of the honour blades, well now 7 since Kaladin claimed Szeth's. That leaves one unaccounted for. Also, the 17th shard says Zahel is actually Vasher, did I miss something?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
You know I'm disappointed in myself for taking until the end of WoR to realize the world hoppers are basically planeswalkers by a different name and Stormlight could have a ploy of Jasnah awakening to her spark.

I wonder if, when a shard is shattered, all the pieces take on a different aspect of that shard. Like how Adolnasium shattered.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I don't think they burn the Lerasium, or if they do it's because metal burning is Leras' magic. I think Atium is just poisonous to someone without the ability to burn it.

Maybe they can eventually create synthetic Lerasium and make it like a retro-virus.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Xachariah posted:

Yeah there was a certain element of removing the emotional impact of her death and it throws every death afterwards into doubt. However up till she appeared at the end we didn't know she was a teleporter unless you studied the magic system. So it was a sweet reveal and Shallan got her personal growth and Jasnah has cool personal development and learned important things in/about Shadesmar.

As long as Sanderson doesn't make a habit of it I don't mind.

There's a very simple rule for these kinds of books, if a character dies right after hinting at an unrevealed power they will be back before the end of the next book or sooner. It's just how these things work.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Late in WoR there's the implication that the expedition meets and wipes out the parshendi refugees, right?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

EVGA Longoria posted:

Except what you're suggesting adds nothing to the plot. It's basically a handholding chapter for people who didn't pick up on obvious signs.

Sanderson didn't pretend she was dead. He just didn't explicitly say "She's alive" if you missed the signs. Also, the whole point at the end if she was doing other stuff that we don't know about yet, dealing with Spren.

Convincing them that a Desolation was imminent and it was time to start returning in force like we saw start to happen at the end of the book perhaps?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I had forgotten that a short story to bridge book 2 and 3 came out so I had to finish that up before starting the new novel, but it made me think, this really is just Sanderson writing a story based on his Exalted campaign, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Pennsylvanian posted:

Eh, Arabic culture has the whole left-hand/right-hand manners system, so it doesn't seem too wild to me.

The safe hand is the wiping hand and the Alethi are just super into scat.