Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Oh man a Sanderson thread!

I've only listened to the Mistborn trilogy so far but every time I go to audible.com I add more of his stuff to my wishlist. It definitely seems like he could make a series out of each of his books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Oh man I just started to listen to Way of Kings when I remembered I had Alloy of Law. Allomancy with guns!

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

I've only just finished both Stormlight books (stayed up all last night to listen to the last 6 hours of WoR) so I'll hold off specific questions till I read the thread but I want to note that the Cosmere's villains should notice that putting the heroes in imminent mortal peril makes magical things happen.

Like Kelsier snapping.

Or Kaladin leveling up twice.

Or Adolin stabbing Sadeas in the loving eye.

You know, magical things. :allears:

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Oh one thing, Hoid is an established Cosmere character? Because everywhere I read it seems that everyone knows him already, but I didn't notice him in Mistborn.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Dunno about you guys but Wit is awesome. It's his job to mock people and it doesn't have to be "comic" because most of the time it's the truth. Who gives a drat if he basically calls Sadeas a poopyhead, nobody cares because he is. lmao that you think Sanderson is auditioning for standup, wow.

Wonder how a Mistborn movie would work, it would probably need some kind of UI to show what metals are being burned.

also http://ladyknightradiant.tumblr.com/post/80402078389/here-it-is-the-finished-product-all-printed

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

I want to start the Cosmere books from the first one now but I'm also looking for future release dates or something like that, anyone have a link? Also, Steelheart and The Rithmatist aren't part of it?

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

So this happened: I was just at the bookstore with my brother and I bought Steelheart, Elantris, Warbreaker, and The Goblin Emperor. I noticed that the Mistborn covers they had are more interesting than the ones just of Vin flying.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

When I though about it for more than a second it makes sense that Eshonai is alive but it seems to me that she gave herself completely over to stormform so it's hard to see what kind of turnorver there could be, unless she's gonna be a straight up villain.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Lobsterpillar posted:

I dunno, in Hero of Ages Marsh was pretty heavily Ruins pawn, but he still managed to turn around.

He constantly tried to fight it whenever possible though, but I see what you're saying

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

The more important question here should be: How can you people say Lightsong is not funny.
I get weird looks when I have this smile on my face when reading during my commute.

I just finished the book and was looking forward to more adventures of Lightsong and Scoot Detectives Inc. but sadly no :(

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Then you move on to the next book which combines :science: + :clint: and it becomes awesome again.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

I'm in the middle of the Unfettered audiobook and was struck by the similarities of Peter Orullian's story to Sanderson things. The magic system involves music/singing and it's really detailed. They even have their own curse, "chorus and quiet".

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

I read Steelheart yesterday and liked it but wondered about a couple things:

1) What exactly happens when Megan reincarnates? Does she lose her memories, and how far back does it go?

2) If using Epic powers turns you into a class A dick then they aren't really fully responsible for their actions, are they?

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Conversely, I do agree that there's something of a lack of any form of happening across anyone else in a lot of places in Sanderson's work, even when things really *should* be busy, like in the Alethi Warcamps.

I thought he did a good job describing the sudden emptiness of the Kholin warcamp after Sadeas' betrayal.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

All told I think I'll read the next mistborn book.

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

I like the story but Sanderson has a problem with leaving too much fat in the books. The second book had a pointless first third to half. The third book has issues with the Spook storyline. Aside from those structure issues, the characterization is fine the world is interesting, the magic is cool and the descriptions are engaging.

If the fat was cut they would be great books rather than just middling.

While I enjoyed the books I did kinda feel the same way, which is partly why I love the next book so much.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

I found Alloy of Law and Way of Kings much funnier than his previous works. Since my sense of humor hasn't changed in the last couple of years I guess he's finally getting better at that. :colbert:

Yeah, Wayne is a fantastic character, aside from his humor and skills, the parts from his POV and his ruminations on hats and accents and life in general are amazing IMO.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Speaking of partners, Renarin and the Stormfather should get together and just proclaim DOOOOOM all the time.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Speaking of Steelheart I just finished listening to the short story Mitosis . It's a silly story but I enjoyed it. It reminded me of the Scott Pilgrim movie.

It's a very silly story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

quote:

“Ideas are never original,” Kelsier said. “Only one thing is.”
“And what is that?”
“Style,” Kelsier said.
Then he punched Ruin across the face.

:catstare:

Ok I laughed really hard at this but :catstare: