Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, I really can't buy the Mormon critique as someone who is generally really sensitive to religious bullshit. MeeLan's opinion is just that, her opinion, given at the end to try to balance out how relentlessly Harmony has been torn down as both an effective and good god. Even her defense is basically "Yes he fucks up a lot but he's doing the best he can". Theodicy is actually a fascinating them when applied to a god whose motivations and limitations you know. Having an impotent god who allows bad things to happen because of powerlessness is about as far from Christian theology as you can get. Sanderson's ideology, as much as you can read into it, is, as others have said, more of a interfaith idea where religions are wrong about the nature of world but all still valuable as reflections of faith. Note that the only 'true' religion in the books is Pathism, which as a religion is basically as distant from Mormonism as you can get.

On broader implications/ Ars Arcanum
So Harmonium turning up means that we could have another set of 16 alloys floating around at some point, if harmonium is ever around in a reasonable quantity. The new god metal has huge implications too. Has a new shard arrived on Scadrial? Autonomy does seem like an enticing force of opposition, but it could well be one of the unidentified shards as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Ethiser posted:

I hope Harmony makes some more Mistborn sometime soon. Mainly to see some of the crazy things Sanderson can come up for them to do with the new metals, especially the time ones. Though with the metals that cause people to use up all their metals most fights end the moment anybody gets touched.

In the god talk I really want to know how Trell's religion changed so much from what started out as a bunch of super chill astronomers.
Well the new shard on Scadrial, likely Autonomy, is linked to Trell somehow. Miles' final words: "the men of gold and red, bearers of the final metal, will come"

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

mossyfisk posted:

What happens if you compound copper, anyway? Do you just remember stuff really hard?
You'd probably get around the 1-copy limitation, and be able to store a copy while keeping the original in your mind.
Compounding connection or fortune could be rather broken though. Be really good friends with anyone instantly, or be lucky whenever you want.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I would argue it's faster when you consider the sheer length of each Stormlight archives book.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

If you think Sanderson hasn't been improving his craft over time I'm not sure what criteria you're using. Even Way of Kings to Words of Radiance is a noticeable jump in quality.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Your opinion is noted, thanks for contributing nothing. It's good to know that you have judged the works of this author entirely by reading one opinion.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 9, 2016

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

insider posted:

What should I read next in the Cosmere?

I've read:
Mistborn Trilogy
The Way of Kings
Words of Radiance
Elantris
The Emperor's Soul

I have the short story collection so should I just keep reading that or should I go somewhere else now?
I'd go with Wax and Wayne/Mistborn 4-6. Don't read 'Mistborn: Secret History' in the short story collection until you've finished those unless you want significant spoilers..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

He actually does a lot to make Mistborn 2's magic feel different despite it using the same core systems. Specifically: No mistborn, but insteas twinborn (1 allomatic + 1 ferruchemic power), new metals, and it's interactions with Industrial era technology.