Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

This Post Sucks posted:

Legion was very good. I'd love to see a full sized novel continued from it.

Agreed. I actually was a little disappointed with Legion, mainly because I wanted him to expand on the characters more, and by the time we really got to know them, it was over. The actual execution of the hallucinations is so much more fascinating than any pre-release blurb made it sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

So if Book 2 is about Shallan, 3 is about Szeth, and 5 is about Dalinar, then who is Book 4 about?

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

I think one of the reasons it's on sale right now is because Tor is doing a reread of Way of Kings on their website. It sounds like an interesting concept, so I'll probably be following along, even though I just finished my own reread a couple of weeks ago.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Odette posted:

Wasn't there some storm in Mistborn too?

Not really a spoiler, but there was one in the first book, but it was more "poo poo's about to go down," than anything plot-related.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Just finished it, another excellent work by Sanderson.

Regarding Steelheart's weakness, for most of the book I believed that being reminded of the hero he should've been or could've been would be his weakness. I think it might've tied into to the whole "only evil people have powers/powers make people evil" premise. But hey, being tricked into blowing yourself up works just as well.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Aggro posted:

I'm still waiting for the guy that did Blood Song to write more. That book was an amazing work, especially for someone's first novel.

You're in luck. The second novel, Tower Lord, is up for preorder on Amazon already.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Hopeford posted:

I have never read Weeks or Ryan, but considering how I feel that exact same way about Sanderson and was/still am really into Wheel of Time, so that makes me want to read them. How much grittier than Sanderson are they? I'm more or less a huge baby, I'm not into overly gritty stories much. I mean I read Game of Thrones, thought it was extremely well written, then went "Yeah, I'm not having fun reading this."

I was the same way with Game of Thrones, and I really enjoyed Raven's Shadow: Blood Song by Ryan, aside from it having the most GrimdarkTM name imaginable.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

The first set of annotations for Alloy of Law went up earlier today. They cover chapters 2-10, but not 1 or the prologue, for some reason.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Narmi posted:

which I though supported that he's Taln the herald come back from purgatory, but mad because the others weren't their to support him, though I guess it just means that this particular guy isn't Taln, so maybe he's one of Odium's agents?

What if all the Heralds are agents of Odium, and finding this out is what caused the Recreance?

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Vasher is the main character from Warbreaker, and quite possibly a worldhopper, quite possibly a Herald and the person who created the sword Nightblood, which Szeth gets given at the end of WoR

Worldhopper, yes, that one's quite obvious. But where are you getting the idea that he's a Herald, especially considering he's a Returned?

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Brandon just announced on Twitter that he's completed the first draft of a sequel to Legion, hoping for a fall release.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

There's a couple in Well of Ascension. Dockson and Tindwyl, off the top of my head.

e: There's also OreSeur, if you count him being dead from the beginning of the book.

MildShow fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 14, 2014

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Just finished it as well, and I enjoyed it. It's about as graphic as Sanderson gets - that is to say, not graphic at all. It does get pretty dark at some points, though, and there's more than enough to keep me interested for the rest of the series.

There are some first book issues, though. It's definitely a slow-starting book - not much happens for the first five chapters or so. The protagonist's journey follows the Hero's Journey almost to the letter, which I thought was executed adequately, but it might be a turn off for some people. And while I think a little bit of foreshadowing can help, the author goes a bit overboard with unsubtle Important Conversations. And finally, for a personal nitpick, the prologue makes no drat sense when you first read it, where you're thrown random names and locations with no context, and even by the end of the book, there are still a few things that are unclear. It was the same problem I had with the Prelude in Way of Kings.

But all in all, I enjoyed the book, and it was definitely worth more than the three dollars on Amazon. If you like Sanderson, and can handle some first book issues, it's worth giving a shot.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

But you're misunderstanding his weakness. It's not that he only has his powers when he's fighting someone who doesn't fear him, it's that he can only only be injured by someone who doesn't fear him. A crucial difference.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

JackKnight posted:

Well unless I am wrong, conceptually when Steelheart pushed that button and died, he wasn't attacking himself, because there was no intent.

It wasn't a button he pressed, it was a gun he was intending to shoot at David. What he didn't know was that gun had a detonator inside. Still intending harm, just a different delivery method with a little more collateral damage.

Honestly, though, you're over-thinking it. Ultimately, what does it matter?

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

JackKnight posted:

Nothing. But this is a book thread. In a dedicated book section of the forums. I kind of thought discussing small insignificant details would be par for the course. But if I am wrong, then so be it. I am new here after all. ;-)

Ah but this is the Sanderson thread. The only valid criticisms here are about dad jokes and no swearing.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

JackKnight posted:

Sorry about the swearing. I've edited that out.

No, I meant we criticize Sanderson for not using proper swear words.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's, uh, most fantasy books that do that though?

I know, but it's still something that bothers me, maybe because I haven't really read that much epic fantasy. Perhaps I'm overstating it, though. It's just a minor irritation, not anything that would ever stop me from reading a book

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Torrannor posted:

and there is one metal from the Mistborn trilogy which immediately jumps out as The Lost Metal.

Which one? Because I think either Atium or Lerasium could fit the bill and have interesting implications.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Yes and the relation between spren and the events they are correlated with is left explicitly ambiguous. Kaladin and Shallan both have scenes where they wonder whether spren are causing the associated events, caused to be there by them, just attracted to them, or something else. All of which is why I think this complaint...
...is pretty off base.

Sanderson has constructed a whole metaphysics that spren are a major part of and has directly brought up how they are enigmatic and confusing to the humanoid residents of Roshar. There's also tidbits now and then about how seeing spren affects social interaction, so it's not like he's ignored their implications for interpersonal dynamics. They explicitly do not function as a 6th sense, and they are obviously part of a bunch of stuff that has yet to be revealed (outside of hints dropped at AMAs and such). For as often as people complain about Sanderson giving away too much too directly, he always has a ton of stuff about his worlds that is really played close to the vest even during one of his big avalanche endings.

There are also two categories of spren, those based on aspects of nature, like windspren and flamespren, and those based on ideals or emotions, like honorspren and gloryspren. It seems like the latter appear much less often, and have more control over who they appear to, than the former.

As for anachronism-chat, it doesn't really bother me, unless it's extremely jarring, like Lift's awesomeness. But the other things just seem like the spergiest of nitpicks. I mean seriously, cologne? I get that the original word comes from a city in Germany, but most people, when they hear the phrase "wearing cologne," aren't going to immediately make that association, if they make it at all.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

And actually, the unplanned trilogy is going to a be a trilogy in four parts - http://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-december-2014/

E: Sanderson is great.

Brandon Sanderson posted:

You may now commence wisecracks about me secretly writing extra novels when nobody is looking.

MildShow fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 22, 2015

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

theghostpt posted:

Is this confirmed somewhere? That the third book is going to be Szeth focused?
I hope Kaladin is still on, specially now that he is going back home, also being Szeth focused hopefully means we'll get a lot more of Nale too which might be really cool

Not fully confirmed, just the way Sanderson is leaning right now. He's said that he still hasn't completely decided whether the book will be focused on Szeth, Dalinar, or Eshonai yet.

And it'll be focused on Szeth (or whoever) in the same way that WoK was focused on Kaladin and that WoR was focused on Shallan, so pretty much just flashbacks and maybe a little more screentime. The other four characters will still have plenty to do.

E: Oh, and Sanderson has also said in the past that just because a future book is focused on a certain character, it doesn't necessarily mean that that character will be alive in that book, although that could just be a misdirect.

MildShow fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 4, 2015

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

senae posted:

Firstborn - non-cosmere sci-fi, pretty worth a read
Defending Elysium - I've never heard of this, but it's on his wikipedia page
Perfect State - also non-cosmere sci-fi, also really good
Mitosis - the direct sequel to Steelheart, and I found kind of skippable
Infinity Blade: Awakening/Redemption - 2 short stories based on an IOS game
Sixth of the Dusk - Cosmere colonialism from the POV of the colonized
Emperor's Soul - Obviously

I think that's the lot of them.

There's also Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell, another Cosmere short story, as well as the two Legion novellas.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Torrannor posted:

(Pathism, Sliverism, probably Trellism, ...?).

I'm sure Church of the Survivor is in there somewhere.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

New State of the Sanderson post is up.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Just finished the book. I enjoyed it, although I didn't really feel like it was as Cosmere-important as it was hyped.

That epilogue, though. January 30th can't get here fast enough.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

spootime posted:

Yeah FTL technically exists in the universe already. People like Hoid and Iyatil are capable. Just gotta get a spaceship in there. That being said I hope its actual space ships with badass scifi space fights and poo poo.

How are you guys reading Secret History? Doesn't come out till the 30th on amazon.

It's available everywhere except Amazon for some reason. I grabbed my copy from the Nook store.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Me, after Steelheart was released posted:

Regarding Steelheart's weakness, for most of the book I believed that being reminded of the hero he should've been or could've been would be his weakness. I think it might've tied into to the whole "only evil people have powers/powers make people evil" premise. But hey, being tricked into blowing yourself up works just as well.

Well, I was close. And honestly, I liked it better when it turned out to be Prof's weakness.

I enjoyed Calamity. It's not the greatest thing Sanderson's ever written, but it was still fun.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

smertrioslol posted:

Are some of Sanderson's works only available on kindle? I looked on Amazon for the emporer's soul and the mistborn secret history and it was saying kindle only. I hope that's not the case and I'm just bad at the internet

Secret History is digital-only (but not Kindle exclusive). Emperor's Soul was a physical release when it came out, so you should be able to find a copy somewhere if it's not still in print.

E: Just checked Amazon - Emperor's Soul is still available in paperback through them.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

My recommended order for the Cosmere works would be Mistborn 1 -3, then Elantris, then the rest in release order.

I understand the logic of starting with Emperor's Soul - it's a small time investment, and it's undoubtedly Sanderson's best work. The problem I have with reading it first is that, because it's his best work, you'll likely be disappointed when you get to his weakest books. Also, it's very different in structure and tone from the rest of his work, so it's not a great example of what you'll find reading the other books.

I feel that Mistborn has enough good there that most people will be able to enjoy it despite its flaws, and it's probably the best example of what you can expect reading Sanderson.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

teddust posted:

I have only a dim understanding of cosmere stuff from reading this thread and haven't really had any issues understanding what's going on in the books. It seems like the connections are more like Easter Eggs for fans, than an important plot point. The exception to this is the horrible Mistborn Secret History ebook that I honestly wouldn't recommend anyone read ever.

The Cosmere points right now are mostly Easter Eggs, but as he writes more books, it will become more important to the plot, especially with the back half of Stormlight Archives and the future Mistborn trilogy. If you didn't like Secret History, then you're probably not going to like a good chunk of his work going forward.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

Bummer. I thought it was the first trilogy and then I'm free to read it. I've been holding back as is, but 2 more books to go isn't bad I guess.

Three - Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self, and Bands of Mourning. Theoretically, you could read it before starting on the Wax and Wayne books, as it doesn't spoil any of the actual plot of those books, but I would still recommend waiting until after Bands of Mourning.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

insider posted:

What should I read next in the Cosmere?

I've read:
Mistborn Trilogy
The Way of Kings
Words of Radiance
Elantris
The Emperor's Soul

I have the short story collection so should I just keep reading that or should I go somewhere else now?

Definitely read Warbreaker just so you can understand the reference at the end of Words of Radiance.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Wasn’t there a rumor going around that Honor and Cultivation were together? I wonder if that’s where the Sibling comes from.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

“This Kaladin," comes the cry from the furthest reaches of the Cosmere, and has even now been found inscribed on a mysterious deep space probe thought to originate from an alien galaxy at a distance too hideous to contemplate, "what is he, man or mouse? Is he interested in nothing more than spears and the wider issues of life? Has he no spirit? Has he no passion? Does he not, to put it in a nutshell, gently caress?”

MildShow fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 13, 2018

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Slanderer posted:

It's non essential, but it comes up in Mistborn Secret History. I know it's also mentioned offhandedly in one other place, too--maybe in one of the Mistborn Era 2 books? If so, that would have been a bigger shock at the time, since Arcanum Unbounded wasn't published until after Bands of Mourning (although I read it after Hero of Ages, so no surprise for me lol)

Yeah, reading The Bands of Mourning live was something else, with it ending with a note from Brandon basically saying - yeah, there’s a secret novella that just dropped explaining the epilogue, and also what was actually going on during the original trilogy.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Yea I think the "recommended path" is Warbreaker then WoR but honestly I feel like just keep the Stormlight Train going, personally.

How can anyone read Dalinar's "deal" and NOT go immediately to the next book :shrug:

Yeah, I think it’s best to read Warbreaker before starting Stormlight entirely so you don’t have to interrupt it.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

It's ok for weird magic things to exist without explanation.

Along those lines, Nightblood shows up after you learn that shardblades are spren, so it would be reasonable to assume it’s just a special spren.

Warbreaker colors (pun intended) a lot of the background in WoR and Oathbringer, but isn’t necessary to understand the books.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Also, I think Sazed calls it out in the Hero of Ages epigraphs, but for each change Rashek made that hosed things up, he made a new change to mitigate it, rather than just undoing everything, preserving what he built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Cicero posted:

I thought the explanation was that he was steadily running out of God juice as he was making changes and thus couldn't undo things and fix them the right way.

That’s part of it as well - found the relevant passage:

Hero of Ages posted:

The subtlety displayed in the ash-eating microbes and enhanced plants shows that Rashek got better and better at using the power. It burned out in a matter of minutes—but to a god, minutes can pass like hours. During that time, Rashek began as an ignorant child who shoved a planet too close to the sun, grew into an adult who could create ashmounts to cool the air, then finally became a mature artisan who could develop plants and creatures for specific purposes.
It also shows his mind-set during his time with Preservation's power. Under its influence he was obviously in a protective mode. Instead of leveling the ashmounts and trying to push the planet back into place, he was reactive, working furiously to fix problems that he himself had caused.