Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

amuayse posted:

What's the most advanced tech in a Sanderson book?

The second Mistborn trilogy got guns, trains and cars, and the people begun building their first sky scraper while figuring out electric lights... which actually makes me wonder about the time frame the Cosmere stories happen relative to each other, has Sanderson said anything about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Don't spren only appear when a person is experiencing the associated emotion very strongly? Like at the point someone goes all red faced and begins shouting profanities you wouldn't need anger spren to see how he feels.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Sixth of Dusk just left me wanting more, the setting, world and magic system felt more interesting than the story and characters in it.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

They do this with movies all the time, no idea why. Like, Frozen over there is called Die Eiskönigin – Völlig unverfroren (The ice queen, completely unabashed).

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Mortanis posted:

That extra bit in the Ars Arcanum is super interesting. So it's not just Allomancy/Feruchemy that have benefits when smashed together. It's probably not just another form of compounding, but something unique to each pairing. So, what happens if you pair 3 or more - do you gain each bonus ability, or are there extra ones for adding a third and fourth and on? Either way, Hoid's going to be a mini-god.

Could be referencing Lift, and in the future possibly Dalinar too.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Torrannor posted:

The author of the Ars Arcanum speculates that this must also be true for the Twinborn, who probably have abilities beyond their one Ferruchemical and one Allomantic power.

Twinborn stuff: Hm, like the bubble thing Wax can do with his steelpush?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I think Wayne actually does have some kind of mental illness or form of dementia. I think there's a line about him hitting his head against a wall a ton to make voices stop as a child? He might have literally caused himself brain damage. Or he's a high functioning autist, might explain his talent at remembering stuff like manerisms and ascents so easily.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Seriously, the last two books I kept hoping Wax won't screw this up, very happy with how things turned out between them.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

God talk: I'm mostly curious about the people in the south, they seem to have gotten the shaft from Harmony, and seems like if Kelsier (?) didn't show up after Sazed recreated the world they would have all frozen to death.

And on an unrelated note I really want to know what's going on with koloss in this time period.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

yeah, but having two separate shards balancing each other out seems to always end badly as they tend to fight and squabble and kill each other

Honor and Cultivation seem to have gotten along until Odium came to wreck stuff.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Mortanis posted:

There's also Spire Albion - Albion is an actual name for Great Britain and again I'm sure Butcher knows this. It stuck out as much to me as if it it had been named Spire California but I'm kinda nerdy that way.

Albion also has a tradition of drinking tea though none remembers why. And there was a mention of horses as mythical creatures from the past.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Anyone had luck getting white sand? The wiki mentions he'll send it to anyone who asks so I tried doing that through the email form on his website, nothing yet though.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

That's probably it then, been just two weeks.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

OAquinas posted:

Atium is VERY rare. The vast majority of it was accumulated by the Kandra, then burned up by the atium Mistings---this kept Ruin weak and allowed Vin to kill him. So there's only a small amount of it left in the world, and because Ati/Ruin doesn't exist as an independent entity anymore (and the Pits are destroyed) there's no more being created.

The pits weren't destroyed completely, just the atium itself, and it was said it would take about 300 years to regenerate... If that's still the case due to the other stuff that went on is still to be seen, maybe they will produce Harmonium now.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

mewse posted:

It's kinda weird how different Shadesmar (Cognitive Realm) is described in Stormlight vs Secret History.

I'm guessing that's due to the spren on Roshar actually shaping it and stuff.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

So White Sand is neat, does have pretty much the same flaws as Elantris though, if you didn't mind those too much go ask Brandon for a copy.

All of these short stories and one offs of him just leave me wanting more though. Even something like Shadows or Sixt of dusk hint at so much, with another writer you could assume it's just background fluff to make it seem interesting but in Sanderson's case he probably has like 12 pages worth of notes about bird magic alone.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Also of note, the comic is the canon one, so things from the novel might be changed or dropped (like one character's gender has been swapped so far).

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/23702-brandon-tweaking-words-of-radiance/

You'll need to open the spoiler box in a post a few turns down.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I actually thought the Zane stuff was a nice subversion of the love triangle trope. He was just a crazy stalker and Vin never even considered him as a real option - she never felt anything for him and was just drawn to the concepts he represents. The furthest she got was considering running away with him so to keep him away from Elend and the others.

Though Elend was whiny, I actually liked him, and had to sympathize each time he tried doing the right thing and everyone gave him crap for caring about stuff like rights and freedom.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 30, 2016

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yea, just mean he didn't turn it into the typical love triangle which is someone having feelings for two people and having to choose one. Why I'm hopeful the hinted at love triangle from stormlight won't turn into this either and he'll do something more interesting with it there, too.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'll echo whoever said that part was alright, subjective of course but I prefer when things like that just get explained outright. Compared to some of the subtler stuff he does in the novellas where things are just mentioned or alluded to and I'd actually want to know more about things that just get mentioned or alluded to. But then I'm also someone who'll sometime stop reading and look up a wiki article when a new unfamiliar term comes up so it's definitely down to individual preference.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The big difference is that stormlight will only heal you while regrowth can be used to heal others.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Eh, she's supposed to be older in this, maybe she'll be less obnoxious as an adult?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

The Ones Above in Sixth of Dusk are from Scadrial, I'm sure.

Or they could just be from one of the other two inhabited planets in the same system, hence The Ones Above.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 13, 2016

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Not all, his YA superhero series is it's own thing for example.

His stories are coming of pretty antireligious to me which is interesting, seems like he is pretty good about not letting his own biases come through in that regard. His mormonism mostly comes through in lack of swearing and sex and even there it seems like he is trying to challenge himself lately.

This is in contrast to wheel of time which I'm trying to get through now but the authors sexist biases are getting really cringeworthy, where I can't decide if the guy hated women or just never interacted with one past his teens.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Guess it comes down to whether having a lot of female characters is that great when they are mostly negative stereotypes? Happy to accept the answer that yea, back then it was. Guess it's like with that Huckleberry Finn thing where I thought it was kind of racist when I read it but back then it was apparently super progressive for daring to suggest that black people are people.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I found her much better in Edgedancer. Like she actually has goals and a purpose now even though she's trying to play it down.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 16, 2016

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Maybe it gets better but ironically at the part I am at Min has pretty much just been relegated to Rand's clingy girlfiend / acessory. :downs:

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 16, 2016

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Not happy about him doing even more YA crap either but if it helps him unwind and not burn out it's probably better in the long run.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

quote:

Unbinding a shardblade is supposed to be difficult but Dalinar breaks the bond in an instant.

The difficulty is probably just having to actually be willing to give up a shardblade. Dalinar just didn't care for it at that point.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

A few things won't make sense or get fully explained untill secret history so check that out too once you do the trilogy.

I'm doing a reread too and enjoy seeing all the foreshadowing I missed before. :D

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I don't think it really spoils anything for those, or does it? Secret history ends up long before that era.

They are good though so yea read that too, and then the rest of Sanderson's cosmere stuff too while you are at it, it's all good. :D

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

To me reading the books as events in them happen chronologically makes sense, I can see why others might feel differently though. But I'm generally not bothered by spoiling myself anyway so if someone is, yea probably take those guy's advice over mine then.

Secret history/The Bands of Mourning ending: Like I already figured Kelsier's not really gone from interviews and such so for me the surprise was more about finding out why and how.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 7, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

How hard would the WoT books be to get in to? I never got around to reading them and at this point I'm worried they haven't aged well.

Fair warning, they are really weird about gender stuff. I found them to be kind of sexist, though some folks pointed out that for their time they were actually quite progressive.

Is book 7 the ebou dar stuff? That's how far I got before getting sidetracked with other reading, still wanting to force myself to get back to it sometime though.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Torrannor posted:

We've already talked about what we look forward to the most in Oathbringer. What about the opposite?

Shalan / Kaladin / Adolin love triangle. :(

Unless it ends with with the last two hooking up, that would at least be a neat twist on that trope. :gay:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

He could end up with an honorblade to keep him relevant, though yea not saying your theory can't happen.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

One other thing is that it's been said that one requirement to be come a radiant is to be "broken", which somehow lets the bond get through and "patch" the hole. So becoming a radiant seems to be a combination of (at least) three factors - living according to the ideals, a spren to bond with being avaliable, and whatever exactly being "broken" means in this context - reminds me of snapping in mistborn though.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 30, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Honor's the one who has been splintered, wouldn't it make more sense if surge = honor + cultivation, void = honor + odium? Honor is about bonds so he would provide the essence of the magic being binding with spren, while odium and cultivation would shape the magic's purpose. Plus it makes sense that the gods who are still alive leech power from the dead one.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Could email Brandon and ask for a copy of white sand. Emperor's soul also doesn't spoil anything for Elantris, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The Kaladin bits went as well as I could have hoped for, so glad. :)