Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

He's put up a video capture of writing a scene for Stormlight 2 (it's only the first part - pre-writing):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxFySrqdi8E&hd=1

Also from twitter:

cobraspideyguy Wed Jan 23
@BrandSanderson #torchat What other stories/Project do you have working besides #Steelheart #Rithmatist #Unfettered #Dangerouswomen #Storm2

BrandSanderson Wed Jan 23
@cobraspideyguy Lol. As if I need more. Well, Alloy of Law sequel has some work done on it, as does a Legion sequel. #torchat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Good news, Radiance is planned to be shorter than Way of Kings.

Bad? news: It's currently 1650 pages in draft form.

Those are manuscript pages, not book pages. It's already shorter than Way of Kings by word count, and he usually cuts around 10% during revisions.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

keiran_helcyan posted:

One of the favorite crazy theories I've heard is that forgetting all memories of his wife was Dalinar's wish, not the adverse effect of another wish.

That's not a theory. It was actually mentioned in the book.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Algid posted:

We don't know if that was the wish or the cost though.

Strange, I can't find the reference to this in the book, but I was sure I'd read somewhere that forgetting his wife was not the curse. Maybe it was an interview or something.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Narmi posted:

He says the visions he gets during a highstorm aren't part of his wish/curse when they ask him about the wish he made. He won't tell the others (I think it was his sons and sister-in-law) what either the wish or curse is, except that he's ashamed he sought out Old Magic and the curse that came along with it s completely separate.

Yeah, I know that part. What I was talking about was definitely not in a dialog. It was something that he was thinking to himself (sorry, still can't find it). Or I'm totally misremembering it. Might be a good time for a re-read.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Dravs posted:

Also he looks like he has written this specifically with a movie being made in mind
He sold the movie rights for it several months before the book was published, so I'd say yes. :cheeky:

Dravs posted:

so, quiz time, what actors should play what part?

Shia Lebouf for David?
Jean Reno for Prof?
Mila Kunis for Megan?
When was the last time you saw these actors? They're more than 10 years too old for the roles. I know in Hollywood a 30 years old can still play a teenager, but I never liked that. :colbert:

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

- I still don't completely get why Megan didn't kill/stage an ambush on the group much earlier. In hindsight, I find it weird that such a supposedly powerful epic did so little.
It was kind of the whole point of the "Epic powers make you Evil" thing. She joined the Reckoners as Firefight, but because she was in incognito she didn't use her powers, so she reverted back to "normal person" Megan. And as Megan she didn't want to kill them. When she resurrected she became Firefight again, since resurrection is an Epic power (plus it messes with her head too).

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

coffeetable posted:

Szeth was curiosity before that because he's from Shinovar, which has no spren at all. So the surgebindings might not be fundamentally due to spren, they're just the easiest way to access them.

In the prologue there are two guys who talk about "that creature" (assumed Szeth) who "carries my lord's own blade". This could mean that Szeth's blade is not a shardblade, but actually Jezrien's honorblade. (Jezrien was a king, so if the two talking guys were also heralds, it'd fit). Since Jezrien is the herald associated with the Windrunners, it could explain why Szeth has the same abilities as Kaladin. Probably the blade gives him the same abilities as a spren would.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

New preview chapters are up. Chapters Ten, Twelve, Fourteen, and Interlude I-1.

And my theory above have been confirmed:

Venli didn’t flinch. “The humans have Surgebinders.”
“Perhaps not. It could have been an Honorblade.”

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

SilverWingedSeraph posted:

It's also worth noting that in the scene after seeing Jasnah get 'killed', and then using her Lightweaving to lure the murderers away, Shallan is surprised that she doesn't trip over or otherwise see any sign of Jasnah's body when she's stumbling around in the dark. Jasnah's survival was definitely foreshadowed.
This. I seriously don't even understand how anyone could have thought that Jasnah was really dead. Her body disappeared after her "death"! To me, it was obvious she wasn't dead. I mean what else could that mean? The only suspense was to see if she shows up in the last part to save the day, or only in the Epilogue. I'm glad it was the latter. It'd have ruined Shallan's arc if Jasnah had just appeared at the end with the solution.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Just out:

Deleted Interlude from Words of Radiance

It offers some amazing insight into a minor (but important) character. It contains significant spoilers for an early Shallan scene in Words of Radiance, so only read if you've at least finished Part 1!

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm the guy, I love Sanderson's dad jokes.

I literally laughed out loud at a few of Shallan and Kaladin's interactions with one another.

Also, Lopen is funny. :colbert:

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Dravs posted:

The only time it felt overused was with Szeth which Brandon has already said he felt he made a mistake with.
I think people are misunderstanding what Brandon said about this. He said he'd have preferred if Kaladin just made Szeth live with his guilt and took his sword, but his death was necessary for the plot (clean break from his past both "magically" and emotionally etc.). I think that's the reason that when Szeth dies, he basically suicides by Kaladin. Kaladin meant that attack only as a feint, so he is still consistent with the above. He might not have killed him, if he could have disarmed him.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

enigma105 posted:

It's US only

Yep, it's a promotion for iOS 8 (but you can download it on any US iTunes account): http://brandonsanderson.com/the-way-of-kings-free-on-itunes/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Velius posted:

There's a fair amount of hints about the Heralds throughout the books. I believe that Brandon has suggested we've seen many, if not all of them, in the pages of the novels so far.
I'm pretty sure Brandon said we've seen all of the Heralds already. But I've also only figured out the ones you've mentioned.