Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

Just finished Mistborn. Thought it was pretty good. Characters were pretty 2D (can't help liking Kelsier despite how thin he is) but the magic system is pretty amazing. I've never read a novel that had anything like that (fantasy newbie).

How much has BS came along as an author since Mistborn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

Just finished the Well of Ascension. Can definitely see what you guys mean. Aside from some terrible dialogue early in the novel it's noticeably better.

I can't read through 200 pages of forum, and I assume it's in there somewhere, but did anyone else get really annoyed with Vin halfway through the novel?

Like, if Elend was actually shades of grey in terms of morality, or hid his emotions at all I could definitely get behind her indecisiveness, but as it stands he's practically the most upfront and morally straight character ever. In my opinion, the whole "Zane or Elend" arc could be removed completely and the narrative would be stronger for it.

OreSuer came out of loving nowhere, did not see that coming in a million years.

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

Well, I've finished it. Wow, that third book was loving something else. Better than the first two combined. The way everything sort of dovetails in together in last 50 pages is masterful. Sanderson has made a fan.

I still think that he can be a hammy writer sometimes, especially with dialogue, but aside from Lord of the Rings, and maybe Wheel of Time, that was the best fantasy story I've ever read.

So many subtle subversions of fantasy tropes, and so much unbelievably gentle foreshadowing and planting of clues.

I didn't see that ending coming at all!

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Glad to hear you liked it!

Some people will say to go on to the next mistborn series immediately, but I'd recommend reading warbreaker (it's free http://brandonsanderson.com/books/warbreaker/warbreaker/) next instead.

I've decided to read the Secret History next, which I am already halfway through! Love me some Kelsier :D

I will read Warbreaker, Elantris, the first Stormlight and the other 4 Mistborns next, but I'm not sure of the order yet. Cheapest first probably!

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

Tunicate posted:

I'd recommend against secret history just because it spoils some tings that happen in the next trilogy

But I understand putting a book down midread is difficut

I'm already thoroughly spoiled for a lot of stuff through reading the Coppermind Wiki. I can never help myself when I come across something I'm not sure about, like when Vin approaches Hoid in Fadrex I was like "this is significant, I must Google this".

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

88 forum posts later and I've read all available Cosmere material. I guess it's time to ease into the slow burn of over analysing every sentence and complaining about Brandon's early work :D

I think WoR is the best fantasy novel I've ever read, hands down. I got caught by a manager today hiding in a meeting room trying to finish the Kaladin/Moash stand-off in peace. Absolutely phenomenal.

Has anyone here played the Mistborn Adventure Game? I am thinking of picking it up for my role playing group as it's an excuse to force other people to read the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

I tell you what, this is a loving amazing time to have jumped on this bandwagon.

If they don't mess this up it could really be something. I think Stormlight would make a better TV Series, but films would be fine. I guess the Cosmere doesn't have the level of pop-culture penetration that GRRM's work does, so it's unlikely anyone is going to commit to multi-series TV shows.