Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013

Tunicate posted:

I think it's roughly publication order, but the newer books are breaking the pattern?

More or less (lots of spoilers in link)

Short answer: they happen in order of publication up until Way of Kings, though with unknown timing outside Mistborn. Alloy of Law is roughly contemporary with Way of Kings. Emperor's Soul takes place not too long after Elantris, and before the Mistborn trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eszett engma
May 7, 2013

treeboy posted:

More end of book thoughts

Sadeas murder has me wondering if Adolin will become a Skybreaker. They're good at arguing (the epigraph suggested obstinately so) and based on Nin are far more concerned with justice than doing what's "right" like Windrunners. And his relationship with kaladin seems to fit the somewhat strained relationship they apparently had with the Windrunners

Can't quote it right now because 17th Shard isn't loading but somebody asked Brandon about this at a signing and he said that the Skybreakers probably wouldn't want him because he broke the law, but that other orders would think he did the right thing, like the Dustbringers.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

a previously unseen fabrial

Not quite, the Stonewarden in Dalinar's vision in chapter 19 of Way of Kings used one.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013

Wolpertinger posted:

We really only have an extremely loose timeline.. and I can't even find it again, I just know that he mentioned the rough order of some book, so Way of Kings could be shortly after, years after, decades after, or centuries after. Worldhoppers probably have a multitude of ways of obtaining immortality or at least slowing aging, so seeing cameos doesn't necessarily mean that they happened shortly after one another.

Brandon has talked about that a little. First example I could find:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy_Bookclub/comments/oji9u/the_alloy_of_law_qa_with_brandon_sanderson/

quote:

How long before WoK is Alloy of Law? I heard somewhere that it's a hundred years, but I don't think that's right.

quote:

3) I intended them to be happening roughly close to one another, with WOK slightly before.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Something interesting I noticed earlier.

Here's the epigraph for chapter 64 of Way of Kings:

"They come from the pit, two dead men, a heart in their hands, and I know that I have seen true glory."

—Kakashah 1173, 13 seconds pre-death. A rickshaw puller.

In Words of Radiance, True Glory is the title of the chapter where Kaladin and Shallan come out of the chasm carrying a gemheart.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
To anyone reading Way of Kings: do a google image search for slot canyon and keep those pictures in mind while reading the chasm scenes to be sure your imagination does them justice.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/01/your-questions-for-brandon-sanderson-answered

quote:

For instance, in The Way of Kings, Drehy, a member of Bridge Four, is gay. He’s based on a good friend of mine who is gay. There is a lesbian character in The Allow of Law; again I don’t make a big deal of it though it’s a little more obvious.

The lesbian character in Alloy is Ranette.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
I can't find a link right now but I remember Brandon saying there will be a ten year gap between books 5 and 6.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013

Rumda posted:

Actually reading on with numbers in the back of my mind I've realised the chapter symbols are actually probably a base 16 numerical system and assuming simplified every day numerals and your standard sloppy 'filling in petty cash receipts' scrawl it actually works.

http://coppermind.net/wiki/Steel_alphabet

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
FYI Brandon has confirmed that it's called Harmonium.

(because Harmony thinks it sounds better than Sazedium)

eszett engma
May 7, 2013

mewse posted:

Welp there is an area on the map of shadesmar called "the expanse of vibrance"

Which version are you looking at? In the hardcover of Way of Kings that spot is covered by the big Shadesmar label.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

Going to see Sanderson at DragonCon Atlanta, not sure what I'd even say to him maybe ask him if he wants to draft but I'd think it would be fun.

Ask him if Shalash's Honorblade is going to be destroyed and if she's going to become a Dustbringer or a Willshaper.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Those are from Eshonai's POV. He's just correcting spots where he mistakenly used the human name instead of the Parshendi name.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
The novella Edgedancer takes place shortly after WoR, so she'll be a few months older at most. Later on, in the second half of the series, she'll have a viewpoint book taking place 10+ years after book 5 when she'll be in the 25-30 range.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Tor has a few things about the upcoming short story/novella collection:

Art preview and interview with the illustrator
Table of contents
a description of the Drominad system

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
I don't understand you people. Even Nightblood likes Lift.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
https://www.amazon.com/Arcanum-Unbounded-Collection-Brandon-Sanderson/dp/0765391163

Happy reading friend.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
That was Ati. There was a similar thing earlier. Here's the epigraph from chapter 56:

I don’t know why Preservation decided to use his last bit of life appearing to Elend during his trek back to Fadrex.
By the time Elend saw the “mist spirit,” Preservation must have been barely coherent. I wonder what Elend would have done, had he known that he was in the presence of a dying god—that on that night, he had been the last witness of Preservation’s passing. If Elend had waited just a few more minutes on that ashen field, he would have seen a body—short of stature, black hair, prominent nose—fall from the mists and slump dead into the ash. As it was, the corpse was left alone to be buried in ash. The world was dying. Its gods had to die with it.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013

Avalerion posted:

I don't think it really spoils anything for those, or does it? Secret history ends up long before that era.

They are good though so yea read that too, and then the rest of Sanderson's cosmere stuff too while you are at it, it's all good. :D

Remember that Bands of Mourning starts off acting like Rashek had a way to survive his fight with Vin, then made the Bands and became the Sovereign down in the south, only to have Hoid give Wax a copper medallion with a memory from the Sovereign's pov showing the scars on his arms implying that it was actually Kelsier.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
I'm really looking forward to more of Kaladin exploiting his newfound lighteye privilege to get away with punching fuckers in the mouth.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
The Shin have 7 instead of 8 because Nalan apparently reclaimed his http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1178#1.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Before this she was in an episode all the time.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Now that Lopen has regrown his missing arm, and before Kaladin is back, he should have his other arm cut off and then only use enough stormlight to heal the wound, then everyone should act like it's always been that arm that's missing.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
As I understand it the Alloy era books take place during the decade or so gap between Stormlight 5 and 6.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
From chapter 37 when Rock is cooking while the others practice

quote:

As he worked, hands deep within the dough, he could hear his mother’s humming. Her careful instructions. Kaladin was wrong; Lunamor hadn’t become a cook. He’d always been one, since he could toddle up the stepstool to the counter and stick his fingers in the sticky dough. Yes, he’d once trained with a bow. But soldiers needed to eat, and nuatoma guards each did several jobs, even guards with his particular heritage and blessings.
He closed his eyes, kneading and humming his mother’s song to a beat he could almost, barely, just faintly hear.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Something to keep in mind is that those were Stormlight characters before Warbreaker was even conceived, which was kind of a stealth Stormlight prequel.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/7g4bvv/oathbringer_we_are_the_oathbringer_beta_reader/dqgsqgp/

quote:

I was also told to point out that both Brandon's editor, Moshe, and Tom Doherty's Assistant Robert had significant input/things to say on that scene, one saying she didn't get drunk fast enough, the other saying she got drunk too fast!

eszett engma
May 7, 2013

Habibi posted:

Jasnah routinely calls her out for using a bludgeon where an <insert more delicate instrument> would do, but as I noted in my original complaint, the one time we see Jasnah jet loose with her trademark wit, it's a bad "your mom" joke. And she gets flustered with herself for resorting to a "your mom" joke, but the real problem was simply that the joke wasn't funny, which is what leads me to suspect that on those occasions when Sanderson achieves real comedy, such as with Lightsong, it's mostly by accident.

How did you determine that Sanderson meant it to be funny? How funny do you think he meant it to be?

eszett engma
May 7, 2013

gohmak posted:

Is it his Mormonism that prevents him from writing anything remotely sexual? I think Shallon trying to summon a shame spren was the closest I’ve read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mistborn/comments/4bnuxt/spoilers_up_to_bom_romance_sex_and_chastity_in/d1bd5ma/

quote:

Storytime. When I was working on Mistborn 2 with my editor, he asked me, "Are Vin and Elend sleeping together?" I said, "Absolutely." He requested some confirmation of it on the page, and I explained something that has always been my policy, and one that has served me well.

I consider what I'm writing to be a very detailed script, which you the reader direct in your mind. Each person's version of the books will be slightly different, but in sometimes telling ways. The subtext of conversations will change, the visualizations of the characters, even larger implications are changed, distorted, and played with by the reader as they build the story in their imagination.

This is an area in which I prefer to leave the answers to the reader. For those who wish to imagine that the characters are having sex, then the implications are often there. (Though I've gotten better at that balance, I feel.) For those who don't want to imagine it, and wish to pretend the characters are living different standards, I will often leave the opportunity for that--unless it is a plot point I consider relevant.

Certainly, my upbringing and beliefs are an influence on this. I'm obviously more circumspect in these areas than I am in others.

But yes, for those who don't want to pretend otherwise, Vin and Elend were sleeping together. And Wax and Lessie never had a real ceremony. My editor tried to remove the word "wife" from one of the later books, and I insisted, as the shift in Wax's thinking was a deliberate point on my part--related to his changing psychology in the books. But even to him, it's more a 'common law wife' thing.

As a side note you'll likely find amusing, I do get a surprising number of emails from people who complain to me (even take me to task) for the amount of objectionable material I include in my books, and ask me why I have to wallow in filth as much as I do. I'm always bemused by this, as I doubt they have any idea how the books are perceived in this area by the general fantasy reading world...

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Based on some of Lift's behavior, especially the time in Edgedancer when she speaks to the urchin about the orphanage, I have a suspicion that the Edgedancer resonance involves a gift of tongues sort of thing. That could fit pretty well with them being "articulate and refined".

eszett engma
May 7, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

How does Sanderson remember all this stuff? Not only remember it, that's what we do and I guess that can be relatively easy. He's got plans for the future that he has to balance around remembering everything. It's insane.

He tracks everything on a private wiki and has a dedicated continuity wrangler.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Kalashwi or Leshwadin?

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Dawnshard headcanon: Chiri-Chiri bonded a member of some mandra rancher's herd; Chiri-Chiri is a cattle rustler.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
He made sure to write RoW in such a way that you do not need to read Dawnshard first.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Looking forward to getting a nendoroid of The Thrill.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Prediction regarding future Stormlight books: They're going to free Ba-Ado-Mishram and it's going to cause the lighteyes to lose their eye color.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Not sure why you think that. Regarding lighteyes/darkeyes in Stormlight: The eye color class stratification is a holdover because Knights Radiant have light eyes while they're holding stormlight. It's more likely that people realize that and the class distinction becomes meaningless and causes some societal upheaval similar to elimination of caste systems in earth cultures.

I think that, while there may be some lighteyes who just naturally have lighter eye colors, for most it comes from the ancient Radiants developing pale eyes from their bonds, and then because of whatever broader effects imprisoning BAM had on Roshar, that trait persisted after they broke their oaths and was inherited by their descendants, just like how the singers connected to her lost their ability to take forms, which was also inherited by their children who never had such a connection.

The Radiants lived in the kingdom of Alethela. I figure that after the Recreance they went home and lived the rest of their lives. The Radiants were in charge there before they broke their oaths and the orders were dissolved, and afterwards the same people for the most part continued to be in charge.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013

pik_d posted:

Stormlight Words of Radiance Chapters 70-75 & Part 4 Interludes (Second half of Part 4)

Kinda love that Kaladin brought back the gemheart, just to top how insane it seems to everyone that they even survived. Kaladin and Shallan are legends already. I like that Dalinar sees through the lies, though he only suspects Kaladin of being a new Radiant.

The epigraph from chapter 64 in the first book references this.

“They come from the pit, two dead men, a heart in their hands, and I know that I have seen true glory.” —Kakashah 1173, 13 seconds pre-death. A rickshaw puller.

True Glory is the title of the chapter where they return to the camps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Prediction for future books regarding Shallan and her mother: It'll turn out that Chana is Shallan's mother, and Shallan was born to be body snatched by Chana in a way that transfers her mind but leaves behind her ties to Roshar so she can escape before the coming desolation.