Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

aparmenideanmonad posted:

As someone who was born in '80 and frequented libraries, book stores, and game shops with YA fantasy sections...Susan Cooper, CS Lewis, and Madeleine L'engle are examples of YA fantasy authors who had stuff out back then.

I was born in '81 and until reading your post I had no idea there were YA sections in bookstores when we were young. I totally thought that was a recent thing. I'd consider the Shannara series YA stuff, and in junior high I always found those in the general Fantasy section. I read A Wrinkle in Time and A Swiftly Tilting Planet somewhere around 4th grade; maybe YA back then was more heavily tilted toward the Y so I didn't look twice at it as a teen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

mallamp posted:

especially if you enjoy the cosmere

On this note, as someone who has read a few Sanderson books (Mistborn trilogy / Warbreaker / Elantris) but was unaware of this cosmere thing: Is there somewhere I can get a good explanation/summary of it along with recommended additional reading?

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

There's a lot of info on the 17th shard website. http://www.17thshard.com/

Thanks. I'll have to reread some books with that info in mind. I guess I'll have to start with Warbreaker since Elantris is being re-released soon.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

Arrath posted:

E: oh balls the Audible version has some background hiss and reverb that none of their other audio books have had.

GraphicAudio, dude. You'll seriously never want to listen to a normal audio book again.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

Taffer posted:

I love the epigraphs too. Did I understand anything about them in the first read? Almost never. But they add a lot of texture to the world and they're a constant reminder that there are more mysteries that we don't know poo poo about, but with some dedicated sleuthing a ton of information about the world and even clues for stuff that hasn't happened yet can be put together, and that's really cool.

This!

Mordiceius posted:

If the epigraphs are just little bonus details sprinkled in for those that are doing rereads, then great.

And this!

Sanderson must have reread WOT a dozen times over the years, as did I and anyone else eagerly following that series. He knows that fans will reread Stormight. Leaving things for second-timers (and I’ll admit it, dense-rear end third and fourth timers like me) helps rereads stay fresh.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

On this note, I found his GraphicAudio voice actor to be quite charismatic. Sexy Antonio Banderas. Sad to hear the regular audiobook doesn’t capture him well.

(GA gets the Herdazian = Hispanic accents thing right. Love The Lopen too.)

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

I'd be curious about the Graphic Audio version of the Stormlight Archive. I really liked their version of Warbreaker. The person they had for Lightsong was particularly fantastic.

Funny… Warbreaker is ok, but I feel like it was the worst of their Cosmere audiobooks. It and Elantris were very early productions (4 years before they started on Mistborn and 7 years before Stormlight). The audio balance between voice actors, narrator, music, and sound effects is a bit off. There are frequently bits where the music or other sounds drown out the voices too much. (In fairness this may not be as much of a problem with headphones vs listening in the car like I usually do.)

Stormlight was done better, so if you liked Warbreaker, you should definitely like it. I think I mentioned here a few weeks back that they really get Lopen right. There’s a big caveat though, which is that the series has been going so long they’ve started losing voice actors and the replacements in later books are sometimes not as good. In particular I dislike the new narrator in RoW.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

Just finished The Sunlit Man, it was good. One thing that skeeved me out though was the scadrian scientists, what a bunch of loving mengeles. Psychopathically callous and indifferent to people dying, even smirking about it, witholding important knowledge that could save so many lives. 100% bad guy material the lot of them. Is all of Scadrial like this now or do they just send their worst?

socialsecurity posted:

Scadrial is definitely supposed to be the British Empire of the space era.

Why do these assholes have to go around sowing discord all over the Cosmere...

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

Subvisual Haze posted:

His writing the 4 short stories also coincided with pushing back SA5's release date a year. I'm not judging the guy, maybe real family life is demanding more of his time, maybe the muse is getting quiet, but his output has slowed a fair bit from his prime and that forward schedule is basically admitting the same.

eke out posted:

i bet the ghostbloods stuff gets pushed forward some, it's hard to imagine him actually taking three full years to write it all without releasing any

He's said before that one Stormlight book = 3 regular books, and one Stormlight book takes him 1.5 years. (And of course we can all do the math to see this is accurate.)

If he's budgeting a lot more time in his timeline than necessary, I'm betting on one of two things:

1. He's being extremely conservative so as not to disappoint anyone.

2. There's something that is either already planned or probable that he expects will consume a decent portion of his time. Like, say, films.

We know he's hoping for films. He already messed up by jumping the gun with his "I expect we'll be filming something within the next year" comment last year, so he's going to be vague and promise nothing from here on out. I'm leaning toward #2.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

Fun Times! posted:

I've lost count of how many times characters have regarded things "with a critical eye." There are critical eyes all over this book.

I raised an eyebrow at this. Honestly never noticed the critical eye before.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013
OK, I searched the ebook with a critical eye and found barely 7 references. No wonder nobody drinks for it.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Mechanical question - I'm going to wrap up WoR today but I was curious about some mechanics of the magic - mainly in reference to Honor Blades. Bonding with an Honor Blade makes you, for all intents and purposes, and artificial Radiant. Or maybe it could be said that the Honor Blade bonders are true Radiants and spren-blade havers are artificial Radiants. Regardless, that's not my point. It was seen that Kaladin could heal "dead" limbs that were sever by Honor/Shard blades. So that begets my question - for the people out there that have limbs severed by shardblades, could they bond with an honor blade temporarily to heal their dead limbs and then pass the blade on to the next person?

WOB: "Honorblades are what you'd consider a "prototype" for what eventually happened with Shardblades. An Honorblade can be used by anyone, without need for oaths, which makes them very dangerous--but since the bond isn't as deep, they are far less efficient. They use more Stormlight, for example, and can't heal to the extent that a Radiant can."

And in reply to another questioner who points out that Szeth says in TWoK that he can't heal from a shardblade cut, Brandon specifically says that holding an Honorblade is not enough to do it.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013
WoR spoilers, obviously:

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/three-stories-in-new-formats/

https://www.17thshard.com/forums/topic/23702-brandon-tweaking-words-of-radiance/#comment-235882

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Words of Radiance - Part 5

Okay, actually, I do have a single complaint. I don't like Michael Kramer's Nightblood voice. In the Graphic Audio adaptation of Warbreaker, Nightblood has the voice of an unhinged demon that thirsts to destroy evil. Michael Kramer voices him like a distinguished British butler that is about to ask you if you would like some tea.

I have the same complaint about The Lopen. The Hispanic accent used in GA is clearly the right way to go.