Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I'm really excited about this release. I've really liked all his other books, especially the Mistborn trilogy, and I can't wait to see where he takes a ten book plot to.

And his other current project, WoT book 13 - Towers of Midnight, comes out within a month of this. edit, not really, comes out two months afterwards, but still, :drat:

I haven't really read any of the available chapters yet, I think I'm just going to wait until the book comes out and read it with a blank slate. It's long enough to wait for it to come out without wondering what happens in chapter 7.

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Kreeblah posted:

Um, you sure on that? The date I've got for ToM is in November.

This is true. I seriously don't know how he manages to write as much as he does.

You're right, for some reason I always forget about September, and I thought ToM release date was late October. Within 2.5 months then.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

calandryll posted:

I've finished the first two books of the Mistborn. In the last few years one of the only series to have me sit down and finish them in a matter of days. After that is over where should I go next with Sanderson?

I will definitely be picking this up also.

Well, I really enjoyed Warbreaker and Elantris, but apparently Elantris is a little controversial, a lot of people didn't like it quite as much. I can see why, it kinda suffers from first book syndrome, because it's his first book, but it's still enjoyable.

I'm pretty sure Warbreaker is still available for free online somewhere, but I didn't know that when I bought the paperback. But to be honest, neither of them is quite as good as Mistborn.

Also book three of Mistborn is absolutely nuts. I read the entire trilogy over a weekend and enjoyed every second of it.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Kreeblah posted:

He's had a lot going on in his life (parents dying, etc.), so I figured it'd be a while. I'm not counting on that date just yet, though, since I haven't heard anything official. Amazon sometimes puts release dates up that are really no better than flat-out guesses.

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2010/04/i-said-id-tell-you-when-i-knew/

He confirmed it on his blog. Not to say it still couldn't get pushed back, but Amazon isn't pulling it out of their asses.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Ugh, I'm going to have to unbookmark this thread for a few days, I got my copy yesterday but will be busy for the rest of the week, and want to go into this with a completely open, unspoiled mind this weekend. The posts here are making me want to cancel all my plans and read this instead.

And yeah, all fantasy blurbs/summaries are terrible, half the fun of fantasy novels is the world building that occurs, and you can't build a convincing world in two paragraphs.

Also, I was completely shocked when this book came in yesterday, I didn't expect it to be so huge. Are all of them supposed to be ~1000 pages?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

taco_fox posted:

You don't think killing Kaladin's friends (who were also Amaram's soldiers) then selling him into slavery so he doesn't talk about Amaram stealing the blade isn't evil? I think we saw enough of Kaladin's history to understand why he's so bitter towards lighteyes and it's perfectly reasonable.

Also, I'm pretty sure Amaram would have had him killed when he tried to take the blade and plate anyways. It was kinda implied that the lighteye would have taken credit for it regardless. At least, that's what I got out of that scene.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Koryk posted:

gently caress Sanderson is a beast. I can't wait for this next book. Is it confirmed that he's doing TSA > WOT > WOT > TSA or might we see the second TSA book before AMOL?

I'm pretty sure he's finishing up WOT, but honestly I wouldn't be upset if he threw in another TSA before AMoL or whatever the last WOT book is called.

Acronyms are fun!

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I'm curious to see how loving huge this book is going to be in paperback. It was 1008 pages hardcover, so it's entirely possible this could end up being a 1300 page paperback.

And I really can't wait for the next one to come out. This is the first epic fantasy series I've really gotten into on the ground floor, I wonder how many years of my life I'm going to be waiting for these books to come out. I'm really hoping for a fall 2012 release date for the next one.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

soru posted:

I finished Elantris today, apparently I'm going in reverse order. Started with Way of Kings, then Mistborn, now Elantris.

Has anyone noticed there's a "Hoid" in all Sanderson's books?

Yes, apparently they all take place in the same universe, and there may be something tying them all together at some point down the road. But I believe Brandon's gone on record as saying they are all the same Hoid, though I don't have a source right now and may be mistaken.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I like how his idea of time off consists of working on something not Wheel of Time related. That guy has a work ethic like I will never understand.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I was bored this weekend and started a Mistborn re-read.

I'm about halfway through Well of Ascension, and I'm a little suprised I never thought more about the bronze earring tidbit being brought up at least once every 50 pages for the entire series more during my initial readthru. It holds up pretty well though, I'm excited to see the ways in which he expands the universe in the other books he's writing.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Hoid was an informant that Kelsier talked to for info in Mistborn book 1. I think that was his only appearance in the series, it was just one chapter.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Dickeye posted:

And he basically told Kell all this poo poo that he already knew

Yeah, and the only thing he didn't already know (that Vin had fabricated links between Venture and Renoux) he would have found out when Vin got back from the ball anyways.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Just finished my Mistborn re-read, and it's just as awesome the second time, if not more so. Yomen is a pretty crazy character.

End of Mistborn trilogy spoilers, don't read if you haven't finished itI still can't get over how crazy the end is - I really like that Sanderson's never been scared to kill off main characters throughout the series. Kelsier, Dockson, Clubs, and then Vin and Elend at the end. When Vin died to kill Ruin, I was just floored, even though I knew it was coming. But yeah, happy endings in which almost everyone die are awesome.

I can't wait for the new Mistborn books. I really want to know what the last two metals are.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

ConfusedUs posted:

The Mistborn world comes together so much better than than drat near any other series I've read. There's things mentioned in the first page that foreshadow events at the end of the trilogy. All of it is premeditated and all of it makes sense.

A large part of that is probably due to how Brandon wrote them all before publishing the first. If he got to something in book three that worked better if the underlying mechanics were slightly different, he just went back and re-wrote that difference from the beginning.

He talks about that a lot in his commentary. Which, by the way, is the best drat thing ever. I wish more authors did commentary. His little asides about why he did such-and-such and the meanings behind this-or-that add yet another layer of enjoyment to an already enjoyable experience.

Well, you just gave me something to do all day. I'd never read the commentary before, but I just read through a couple of them and it's amazing.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

treeboy posted:

I thought Marsh was just a misting though, a seeker right? How would he pull the same trick the Lord ruler did?

Yeah, If the spikes still work, he can still use Feruchemy since it is a power granted to all Inquisitors. We've also seen that he can use allomancy. And if the spikes don't work, he'd be dead.

I'm interested to see if Marsh is still around (he should be), and if so, if he's now a puppet of Sazed? Hemalurgically created creatures are slaves to Ruin, but since Sazed inherited the powers of Ruin (and Preservation while we're at it), he should still have the ability to talk through Marsh. It's crazy to think that there will still be an Inquisitor as a religious voice in the future, and at this point he's the one voice of god.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Cartoon Man posted:

The Mistborn Trilogy is getting an ebook release on Feb 1st for $23.99. This is pretty much what you would pay for each ebook seperately.

However it does have some spiffy new artwork to go with it by Sam Weber.

Click here for the full 429x652 image.

That is pretty much the perfect cover for this series.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Yeah, on my last re-read it took me about 2 or 3 months. The first 6 flew by in 3-5 days, 7-10 took over a week each. And the Sanderson books took all of a day.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Che Delilas posted:

On the other hand, he could easily turn out to be one of the characters who dies early in the series, inspiring other characters to some kind of action.

This seems likely. He does seem like a Kelsier-type character

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Ferrosol posted:

Just finished the Mistborn Trilogy. God drat was it a lot better than I expected. Will have to read through those notes on Sanderson's website to catch all the little bits I missed.

The second readthru is insane when you realize that he really did start foreshadowing the last chapter of Hero of Ages in the first 100 pages of Mistborn.

And yeah, the annotations are awesome. I kinda wish more authors would do something like that.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Is it just me or does that cover look like Dresden Files set in the 1800s?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Looking at the interview, I just realized that Brandon Sanderson and China Mieville are the only two sci-fi/fantasy authors still active that I can think of who don't have ridiculously awful facial hair. Jim Butcher's isn't too bad but it's there.

I don't know why I care.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I don't know. I just noticed it because it had Brandon and Patrick's pictures side by side, and I realized 90% of fantasy authors that I've actually seen the face of have terrible beards. It doesn't really matter, just something I noticed.

And yeah, I just GIS'd Abercrombie and he looks completely normal.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/972/Suvudu-Cage-Match-Vin-vs.-Zeddicus-Zul-Zorander

Apparently in the fantasy character cage match, Vin is up against Zedd of Sword of Truth fame. Brandon wrote how he thought the match would end up, and also reminded me why he's probably my favorite author at the moment. Nice jab at Goodkind. I'm not gonna spoil it, but it's AWESOME.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I sometimes read the bad thread even though I only read the first third of A Game of Thrones. It's pretty awesome.

I think I'm going to give ASOIAF another shot after I finish with Shadows of the Apt.

It's between that and either reading Mieville - The Scar, or getting started on Scott Lynch. I have too many unread books on my shelf.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Nah, I read Perdido Street Station a little under a year ago, bought Iron Council and The Scar, but was so depressed upon finishing PSS (both for plot and personal reasons) that I wasn't up to starting another Mieville book quite yet. PSS was awesome, but my ex and I broke up the day I finished it :v:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Did it seem to anyone else that Tan was burning atium? Would atium even exist any more, or is it gone forever after it was all used at the end of Hero of the Ages?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Sanderson always skips Houston, and the one time he decides to make it out here it's cancelled?

gently caress. :smith:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Warbreaker is OK, but I don't think it's really fair to judge whether or not you'll like Sanderson based on it - he released it for free for a reason. Mistborn is what put his name out in a big way, so I'd start with that. Starting with Warbreaker is kinda like starting Robert Jordan with one of his Conan books in my opinion, or telling someone who wants to start reading Jim Butcher that Codex Alera is the place to start - yeah, they aren't bad books (well I've never read Jordan's Conan books, but I'm assuming), but to really get a good start they should really be starting with Eye of the World or a semi-early Dresden book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I ordered of Amazon with release day shipping. Amazon said it should be here today, but the UPS site says it's not on the truck, and will arrive tomorrow.

So pissed :smith:

e; considering going to buy it at a store and returning the shipped copy to Amazon to drive home that if I'm going to pay for release day shipping, don't cheap out on the carrier and get it here the day after. Every other time I've ordered this year, I picked two day shipping and it got here the day after I ordered, but they used Surepost insead of standard UPS ground this time. I took tomorrow off to be able to read it, and now I'm losing money for not working that day, and won't actually have time to finish it because it won't be here till around 4pm.

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 4, 2014