Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Nitrousoxide posted:

Okay, I finished the second book and overall it wasn't worth the slog. The book could have had about 300 to 400 pages chopped out without loosing anything. However the twist was good enough and it leaves the universe in a state that seems like the next one could be good.

The first sentence of the next book, at least, gives it some velocity that seems like it will be better.

I felt the same way about book 2, but thought book 3 was really exciting pretty much the whole way through. Stick with it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Thyrork posted:

E: Having said that, I feel some of you are taking Lift too seriously. A story with her as a focus character might be told from multiple perspectives. Give Lift a chance goons, lighten up! :haw:

The Lift interlude was one of my favorite parts of the whole book, it's silly and fun and her powers and spren are neat.

I think it's likely that by the time she does become a POV character, several years will have passed in the story and she'll be less of a little kid and have a motivation beyond shoving rolls into her mouth.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

nucleicmaxid posted:

You are what's wrong with the world today.

Can't wait to see Lift re-establish the Order of the Awesomedancers

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I didn't see this mentioned yet - Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell is now available as a stand-alone e-book, it's $3 in the kindle store.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

senae posted:

Elantris is probably about 1/3 of a good book, and it's safe to skip that unless you'd like to see how bad Sanderson was when he started out (so bad). Sixth of the Dusk is also Cosmere, and I'd recommend picking it up.

I read he is putting out a revised edition of Elantris sometime soon, which cleans up some of the awkward writing and makes some other changes to improve the book. If you're gong to read it, I'd wait for that version at least. And for what it's worth, even though Elantris is flawed I still enjoyed it, it helped that I went into it with the mentality that it was his first novel and was going to be rough.

His novellas are all good to great, as others have said. A lot of fantasy writers seem incapable of writing anything but multi-volume epics, and I think it says a lot about him as an author that he can also write effective short fiction that still includes interesting world-building. The magic system in The Emporer's Soul is deep enough to be the basis of a whole novel, or even a series, but he reigns it in and focuses on telling a good story.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Thyrork posted:

E: I mean, I get it when say, Young Adult is applied to cheesy, Teenage drama stories. But Mistborn? Mistborn is dark, and it just happens to include a cheesy teenage love story woven in.

The most successful young adult series of the past decade is literally about children being forced to murder each other. Mistborn may be a bit more mature in tone, but "darkness" isn't really a good way to determine if a book is YA or not.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Too juvenile (notwithstanding that this is fantasy lit we're discussing) and too cliched I think about sums it up. It's a spot-on point about the 'Sanderson avalanche' as well. Throughout the novel I was mostly thinking 'yeah, this is kind of cliched and by the numbers but the guy does know how to spin a tight plot at the least', but that more or less unravelled in the last few chapters: the pacing was way off.

Interesting to know that his writing does improve though, so I will add Emperor's Soul to my list. Thanks for the recommendation. Even though I found it disappointing in the end, Final Empire did show a bit of talent in world-building which I felt would have been better displayed in the hands of a more technically adept author. I definitely do like a bit of cheese fantasy as well so long as it's well done, so will give him another shot.

I felt the same way about the Mistborn books when I read them, the first one is pretty cliched and the pacing in the second one sucks. I have since become a big fan of his though, so if you weren't completely sold I'd try something newer of his. He still isn't a particularly "technically adept" author, but he is great at worldbuilding, his magic systems are always fun, and his prose gets better (or at least it stops being awkward).

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Tahirovic posted:

Hoid is one of the most interesting characters I've ever seen in a book, probably because we know so little about him.

(For me at least) it's because we know so little about him, and at the same time he knows basically everything about what's going on with whatever current world he's on and in the cosmere in general, and rather than be some wise all-knowing being he's just kind of a prick about it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I thought he said that wasn't cover art, just something he had an artist draw up to show what the characters look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
If you haven't already read them, Emporer's Soul + the two Legion novellas is a great deal for $1.