Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I just finished Words of Radiance does anyone feel a bit robbed at the end So Kaladin and Shallon spend the whole book not telling each other about their powers and when it is revealed at the end they skip over the initial conversation and discussion about it to like 10 days later. I wanted her to meet Syl and the such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Syl does see Pattern in the Arena fight she mentions it at one point. end of books spoilers I was really annoyed about how we never got to see Kalladin and Shallan talk to each other about their super powers they basically stop interacting on page after they get out of the chasm.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

treeboy posted:

In contrast it pulls me out of genre fiction, especially high magic fantasy, when the characters use all the same terms I do. I found more jarring the few times he slipped into a more contemporary tone with some of his characters. Dropping shits and fucks everywhere doesn't make a book any more mature or sophisticated than topless scenes in a movie. In my experience it tends to have the opposite effect, especially as he probably doesn't swear much at all and it probably wouldn't come across very naturally in his writing.

"Contemporary tone" this isn't even Earth, they don't have to speak historically accurate or however you think people spoke back then.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Democratic Pirate posted:

One of the next books in the Stormlight Archives is Dalinar-based flashbacks, iirc, so we should see a good amount of the Blackthorn murdering and drinking and such.

I'm sorry but flashbacks in this are designed to be as depressing as possible so it will focus on whatever happened to his wife.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Still not sure who that's supposed to be.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Sagnid posted:

Having just finished the WOR audio book, and having enjoyed the narrator. I am left with a horrible thought. Does anyone know if the publisher plans on using the same guy? I had a horrible experience with Game of Thrones when they changed the narrator on us in book four.

My first audiobooks was all of Wheel of Time and then this, I honestly have trouble listening to books read by anyone other then the Michael/Kate team.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Glokta posted:

I'm booking the morning off to go to a signing in Liverpool this week. Really jealous of Manchester, he's doing a talk there but he's only signing here. I'm thinking of getting "I am a stick" written in the first stormlight novel, not yet decided on the second. Waterstones seem to be hosting a lot of fantasy authors lately, I was lucky to see Joe Abercrombie last month.

I am a stick is the second book.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ask him to either kill Kalladin or stop torturing him so he don't have to tire ourselves reading about him being a constant sad sack.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Xaris posted:

Yeah. I felt that his time of moping is over with by the end, thank god. I also didn't quite get how he "killed" Syl the first time. Seemed like he was trying to draw on her power to save people? I think it would have made more sense if "killed" her by trying to use his power to attempt to kill someone in cold blood (i.e. Amaran) than by trying not to die in a fall

Book 3 Preview spoilers He was back to being mopey and his hometown being destroyed just gives an excuse of another round of "the world fucks Kalladin"

Plotting to kill the king went against the Radiant's ideals and thus was a breach of his oaths harming Syl, she tried to hold on and used her last bit of power saving him from that fall. This is probably what happened to the original Radiants they betrayed their oaths for some mystery reason and that's how they killed their spren like people keep saying they did.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

To be fair none of his characters are in positions to have much sex nobody wants to read bridge-man orgies. Adolin maybe but considering he hops to a new girl every week also unless they have a condom fabrial I doubt Dalinar would think a dozen Kholin-bastards running around would be honorable.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rumda posted:

Because its background information that isn't going to affect anything major, and would be clunky to write it unto the text.

I love these books and all but clunky world building info dumps is like what Sanderson lives for.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Wit even makes a point about how they call Axe-Hounds Hounds despite not knowing what a hound actually is, there is some history to their language they don't know about.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

apophenium posted:

Started reading it as well, my first Sanderson book. It's been pretty rocky for me. Some of the dialogue is painful, especially Shallan and Wit, when they're trying to be witty. It's real groan-worthy. So far Sanderson has done a decent job of making me care about the world and the setting, sprinkling little mysteries here and there and using lots of Proper Nouns and compoundwords. Unfortunately that hasn't really translated to the characters. I'm a little over 300 pages in and don't give a drat about Kaladin or Shallan or the Blackthorn dude. They all come across as relatively flat characters. Granted, there's still a ton of words left to read and they might grow as characters. As of now though I'm not very invested in their individual stories.

The main thing about Shallan is that she isn't supposed to be witty her dialogue is supposed to sound painful most people are just humoring her because of her position, all of the characters do grow on you it take a long while, I will say the second book handles that all way better as POV characters interact much more making characterization possible but he does a great job of rounding everyone out eventually

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

amuayse posted:

Any clue what happened to Kal's parents?

Whatever the most depressing outcome imaginable is.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hopeford posted:

My dream scenario would be for Adolin to never become a knight Radiant but remain able to outfight most of them just on virtue by being so much better than everyone else in 1 on 1 duels.

They do have that Honorblade.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hopeford posted:

While that's not unlikely, man I'd hate that. Words of Radiance was pretty much Top Gun featuring swords instead of jets. I don't want their bromance to go out of the window for some dumb love triangle.

Kaladin is on the other side of the planet who knows when they will interact again. Or when we will get Sil/Pattern interaction we were robbed if by the end of book glossing.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Book 2 also has all the main characters closer together so even Shallan chapters advance Kalladins plot it really helps.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Today I was excited to find out a Mistborn game was coming, then I found it has been delayed like 5 times and is being made by what appears to be a maker of phone games for children my worries have been rioted.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

bowmore posted:

at least the RPG is good

Is it? I've tried to find decent reviews of it although finding enough people interested in playing might be difficult.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

You have some valid points but 99% of your posts in the thread are making GBS threads on him. Personally I like Sanderson because he hits the right balance between over spergy political details(GOT and the like)/magic abilities(WoT) without taking either way too far.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Is it just me, or does Harmony seem like a real dick in the last couple of books?

I think it's just a logical extension of "this is all part of God's plan" things you hear Christians say, except it actually is and you've got to break a few eggs to save the world.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I secretly hope all those other non-cosmere books would crash and not sell so he could spend more time on Stormlight.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Going to see Sanderson at DragonCon Atlanta, not sure what I'd even say to him maybe ask him if he wants to draft but I'd think it would be fun.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Saved the Elantris Audiobook for last in my Cosmere go-through and I am glad I did as if I did this one first not sure if would of gone through the rest. It just seems be dragging endlessly, I'm up to where halfway through Elantris Serene has been poisoned and she just caught Spirit up on what's been going on outside and its like ages of "huh I wonder who he is" I get the feeling she is going to leave the city before anyone even bothers to tell her. Between that going on and the endless political machinations he fails to make interesting it is getting silly. Honestly at this point I hope Dilaf just burns all 3 main characters at once.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Also the sand is supposed to change colors and the art doesn't do that, and like, it's supposed to be a visual medium.

Warbreaker would of made a better graphic novel, its whole thing about colors and them standing out more etc would work well.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Met Sanderson at Dragoncon today he's like the nicest dude of all time. No real new information except the videa games just can't get funding thanks to the flopping of Kingdom of Amalur.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is literally Vins purpose in the first half of the first book,

Seriously she spents all her non-ball time harassing and interviewing everyone with powers about how they work, not that it's a bad thing it makes sense.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

mossyfisk posted:

The only thing I know about Malazan is that people constantly bring it up in threads about other books, and write long wordy posts about it that I instinctively scroll past.

I suspect I may not be alone in this.

When someone starts talking about the negative stereotype fantasy books and their readers have Malazan always comes to mind right away.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Pash posted:

You can read Everything in AU without really worrying except Secret History (until you are caught up on mistborn era 2), and Edge Dancer (until you finish Words Of Radiance). I think everything else is short stories, although maybe one happens during the avalanche at the end of Elantris...

Yeah one spoils the ending of Elantris with it's framing device.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

BananaNutkins posted:

I liked Wax and Wayne #2, and the further development of Wayne as a character. I liked the idea that technology was finally emerging, but I never really felt sold on exactly how they were making these leaps. The Kandra twist was seen coming from a way off, but it wasn't bad.

I liked the opening of Wax and Wayne #3, but only the opening. The rest of the book was stupid.

That is all.

They have a throwaway line explaining that, seems the Lord Ruler had been surpressing technological advancement for some time Sazed probably just put some good pointers about that stuff in the books he left.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

I haven't posted in this thread since 2,800 posts ago, but I noticed when preordering Oathbringer that there's a Stormlight novella coming out in the fall as well.

Since it's been out in anthology already, should I read it before Oathbringer, after, or not at all? What do you guys recommend?

Are you talking about Edgedancer? Yeah read it before Oathbringer.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The back half of the WoT books just annoyed me because the main characters basically stopped interacting with each other at all despite almost all of them being able to teleport.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I'm climbing the goddamn walls. In the past two weeks I've rocketed through all the mistborn books, now I'm looking into sourcing a copy of elantris since that and warbreaker are the only cosmere books I haven't read.

I'm saving The Stormlight Archives for very last so that I can hopefully go from WOR to Oathbringer immediately.

That plan isn't going to work LEAK THE EBOOK SANDERSON

I'd definitely do Warbreaker asap as it seems to have the most crossover with Stormlight so far.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Torrannor posted:

You should definitely get Arcanum Unbounded, because it contains Emperor's Soul, Brandon's best book. It's set on the same world as Elantris, but you can read these two books in any order. Except that going from his best to his worst book may suck a bit.

There actually is a bunch of Elantris spoilers in arcanum when they tell the story about the kids in Elantris so skip over that.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Is Edgedancer worth my time or should I wait on my weekly dose of Oathbringer like the pathetic junkie I am?

It fills in some gaps between the books it is worth a read.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So the Parshendi who made the poem makes me think that whatever spren is talking to them is the key to Artform that the other Parshendi were searching for.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

Interesting to see direct confirmation that Dalinar's memories coming back aren't due to his bond or any sort of Stormlight-based healing.

Also had forgotten about the whole "Kaladin killed Shallan's brother" thing, which I'm sure will go well once she finds out.

I got the impression that she knew after hearing him tell the story but chose to say nothing about it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

I haven't listened to any of the audiobooks for Sandersons books.

Are they James Marsters good or are they mediocre?

Very they are done by the Michael Kramer/Kate Redding team where he reads male POVs and she reads female POVs, they pronounce some stuff differently but they are my favorite audiobook readers, they did Wheel of Time too and that came out fantastic.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

BananaNutkins posted:

Unseen wind, Unseen wind, Unseen wind, Unseen wind, Unseen wind, Unseen wind, Unseen wind, Unseen wind, Unseen wind

Trade Contracts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Law Cheetah posted:

nobody does this, they just say how witty she is

You should do a reread.