Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I'd heard that book 2 was Shallan, but not the others. What about Kaladin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

quiggy posted:

Kaladin was book 1.

I'll be happy if he gives Kaladin as much time in the new books as he gave Shallan and Dalinar in the first.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Seems like he just put up another 'livewriting' on youtube for Words of Radiance

Has anyone transcribed these into a single readable format? It'd be nice to check it out in its entirety.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Kaladin definitely used surgebinding before he arrived at the Shattered Plains. From the first chapter: "For a moment, Cenn thought he could see something surrounding the squadleader. A warping of air, like the wknd itself had become visible."

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Things do pick up, but Sanderson might not be for you, and that's OK. His prose has never been what people have loved about him. It's more about how he develops his worlds and magic systems.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Tor officially announced the White Sand graphic novels today. Brandon(or an assistant) just emailed me the ebook a few weeks ago. Should I go ahead and read it, or hold off and see the more polished version in 2015?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Has anyone read the novella that BS just released in the Writing Excuses anthology? Worth picking up the bikk if I don't really care about the other stories?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Wow, can't believe I'm the first to post this, but Sanderson just revised a major plot point at the end of WoR in upcoming paperbacks and future prints. Quote from his blog post.

Brandon Sanderson Facebook posted:

So, in Words of Radiance, I think the scene I worked on the longest both in my head and on the page was the final confrontation between Kaladin and Szeth.
There was something I wanted to do, and took a stab at it in the text, then backed off because I couldn’t make it work. It was important to me that Kaladin refuse to kill Szeth at the end. Kaladin is about protection, not vengeance, and once he realized that Szeth really just wanted to be killed, I wanted Kaladin to hesitate.
It didn’t end up working, and I moved on to a new version and submitted it. But this itched at me, and by the time the book was released, I felt I’d made the wrong choice for that scene. So I’ve taken this chance to roll it back to the previous idea, and written it in a new way, which I like much better.
The events are the same, except for that moment. Szeth is now killed by the storm instead of by Kaladin, which I think is more thematically appropriate.
The question this raises is about Szeth being stabbed by a Shardblade, then being resuscitated. I’m sad to lose this sequence, as it’s an important plot point for the series that dead Shardblades cannot heal the soul, while living ones can. I’m going to have to work this into a later book, though I think it’s something we can sacrifice here for the stronger scene of character for Kaladin and Szeth.

He also revised a bit of Elantris, but that seems to mostly be about making that locations events take place jive with a new better map that he made.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 7, 2015

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Raimondo posted:

Speaking of Sanderson writing about relationships, new (non-cosmere) novella comes out today.

Perfect State

Holy poo poo, I just read this. A Sanderson book with nudity? And ready world cursing? And an awesome blend of something I can't even talk about because it would spoil stuff? This is going to rival Emporer's Soul as my favorite novella of his.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

spootime posted:

Just bought it, thanks man.

If you guys have been reading on Kindle's, it's really hard to see the newspaper. Heres a full image of the one from Bands of Mourning.

Has Sanderson put these on his site? I'm currently going through the audio book and the narrationsnreally don't capture what he's trying to do.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

On a another note, I just read Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania for the first time in Arcanum Unbounded and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've always done the audio books for Wax and Wayne and thought the shorts from the newspaper fell flat due to the format, but the annotations from his Terris servant absolutely made the story.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Pennsylvanian posted:

I'm past the big turn in Part 2 of RoW. Things are interesting with Kaladin and Dalinar and Navani, but I wish that after so many books, Venli would do something interesting. Adolin is in the middle of a ghost trial for himself and the fate of humanity but we haven't heard from him in like a hundred pages, meanwhile Venli gets eight more chapters of nothing happening.

I think I liked RoW more than most here, but the pacing of Adolin's trial was one thing that felt off. We went through large gaps without any updates on the trial. Just one or two more sections during that period in lieu of a Venli chapter would have been nice, and I liked Venli's arc!

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 10, 2021

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

His username is reddit.com/u/mistborn

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

Vasher is more useful on a wide scale battlefield anyway instead of 1 on 1, his ability to create armies and golems and the such is unmatched.

I just received a notification saying Sanderson is going Live on Youtube in 15 minutes.

This is the link

Video Description posted:

I'll be doing a spoiler-filled livestream Thursday night at 6:00 MDT. I will be taking questions from every series so if you're not up to date, and don't want to be spoiled, I would steer clear.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Is Lift like an anime character? My experience ends with Pokemon, but to me show sounds like someone out of YA book, which isn't great either.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

It was fantastic hearing the voice show up in Stormlight

It's been a while since I've listend to Warbreaker. Does Michal Kramer voice Nightblood the same way as the other narrator?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Brandon read a selection from W&W 4 at Jordancon and it's already up on Coppermind!

Spoilers for W&W4, obviously.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I pledged for everything except physical book copies. I'm pretty confident the boxes will be worth it based on the cool extras he sends out already. Pretty steep pricing, though at $480.00.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Joe is tied with Sanderson as my favorite author, and if you made me choose I would pick Abercrombie.

He is marketed as super grimdark(@lordgrimdark is his Twitter), and it definitely tends towards the dark side (one of the main POVs of the first trilogy is a torturer) however, I find his books oddly hopeful. Characters are often at the whims of greater powers, over which they have little to no influence, and it makes for fascinating observations about how societal and physical differences can affect one's outlook on the world.

His characters often have frequent mantras and catchphrases that stick with you.

Joe Abercrombie, The Blade Itself posted:

“Once you've got a task to do, it's better to do it than live with the fear of it.”

If you decide to begin The First Law, definitely get the audiobooks. Stephen Pacey's narration and character work is masterful and add a lot to the experience, for example in later books you will recognize characters by the voice he uses before they are named.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 15, 2022

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Sab669 posted:

I really appreciated the podcast where Dan was like, "I do not understand how that game was so popular"

I put 12 hours into it, which is a LOT for a Roguelite for me, but yea it really didn't do much for me. But still fun listening to Brandon talk about why he loved it so much

I had to stop listening to their podcast. Brandon was good, but I found Dan and his frequent bad takes annoying.

I'm probably projecting a bit since I grew up partially homeschooled in a conservative Christian household, but I question people that stick with any sort of fundamentalist religion into their adult life.

I'm able to read Brandon because, through his work, I know he understands the arguments against his faith, and I can pretend he only sticks with it because of familial obligations.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oof, I knew it was coming, but it still stings getting the “Hey, did you know they just charged you $600.00?” email from my bank.

No doubt it’s going to be worth it, especially after hearing about the Nightblood letter opener for one of the swag boxes today.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

You were able to predict character arcs in the original First Law trilogy? Things go pretty off rails from what we see in the first book.

I can see where you're coming from if you're talking about Age of Madness, though, with the obvious French Revolution parallels.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I always say that as well, only to succumb after half a page of spoiler chat that I can't read!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh man, I finally clicked on this, and you forgot to mention the best part! The release is of chapters 1 and 2 from the audiobook, with Michael Kramer narrating!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

This was a decent write-up and had good pictures of the inside of Brandon's house that I hadn't seen before.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I finally received my copy of Tress!

It was also lovely to get a few little goodies like a bookmark along with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

It'll be interesting to see what this is

https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/1681672667206758400