Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
About half way through The Way of Kings (yeah I'm late to the party) and I'm surprised by how consistently interesting everything is. None of it has felt like a slog so far. Can't say the same for most other fantasy I've read, and I've read a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm thinking about checking out Elantris? Any good? It's been a little rough reading his pre-Stormlight stuff.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Lift's "awesome" seemed like a callback to Vin's "Luck" to me. Just a word to refer to something the character doesn't quite understand.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
About halfway through The Well of Ascension.

Goddrat is the first book better. So much...sitting around and talking. Christ. And Vin even remotely giving Zane the time of day is incredibly frustrating. That being said, from the sounds of it book 3 is pretty dark and interesting so I'm going to keep going. Also, for a guy that's really shy about putting any kind of sexual content in his books, he seems totally fine with using sexual violence against women as a way of telling us how terrible the bad guys are. Staff's mistresses and the Terris breeding programs seems pretty unnecessary and didn't tell us anything we didn't already know.

OreSeur's the imposter, isn't he?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
So I'm thinking of just skipping Hero of Ages and moving on to the Wax/Wayne books, because with Kelsier gone I'm stuck with a bunch of people I don't like at all except for Vin, and I ended up getting spoiled that she's going to die so that pretty much Ruined any desire I have to finish this. And it's just been generally an unpleasant experience? Book 1 was pretty fun and had a unique setup, but book 2 felt like very little actual material stretched really, really thin. I'm a few hundred pages into book 3 and not feeling it at all.

It's crazy how much more I enjoy the Stormlight books.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Wasn't that game supposed to come out in something like 2012?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Finally got around to reading The Emperor's Soul. It felt like standard Sanderson fare (which, luckily, means really good) until the end, when it became incredible. I mean, it was legitimately emotionally moving. My favorite work of his next to The Way of Kings.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The only thing that made me :rolleyes: in ES was the video game fight scene against the skeletal dudes that had zero tension. It was just like, dude, things were going so well :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I asked for a copy of White Sand weeks ago but never got a reply. :smith: I guess he's busy making me feel inadequate as a writer.