Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valhalska
May 3, 2007

Please do not be alarmed, we are about to engage...
The Nozzle.

MrSargent posted:

I'm not sure what you are asking. Basically you just run two clients in EQ Windows and use Alt+tab to switch between the two clients. Basically you will be attacking stuff with your rogue while your cleric heals. However, as you level up, you may find it a bit difficult to duo seeing as a rogue needs to be behind a mob to do max damage and rogues are not the best at taking hits. I would recommend playing a shaman with the rogue because of all the buffs that a shaman can give to your rogue (haste, stat buffs, hp buffs, movement speed buffs), and the ability to slow mobs will help you take a lot less damage.

Alright, that sounds easy enough. I was just wondering if I would need to make special macros or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Oolarg posted:

Alright, that sounds easy enough. I was just wondering if I would need to make special macros or something.
You can, the macros let you do things like /cast /pause /cast on one button so you'll be able to multitask better on your bot. Most of the things you can do in SoD you can do in eq and theres way more documentation/wikis about eq stuff. So for help making macros in sod check eq wikis., that's what I did.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Umph posted:

You can, the macros let you do things like /cast /pause /cast on one button so you'll be able to multitask better on your bot. Most of the things you can do in SoD you can do in eq and theres way more documentation/wikis about eq stuff. So for help making macros in sod check eq wikis., that's what I did.

This is true, although for the purposes of healing your other box, you will rarely want to stack your heals like that. It is much more efficient to just alt+tab and hit the number of your heal hot button and then alt+tab back. If you level up boxing, you will most likely become very proficient at playing both characters.

My heal macro for my shaman looks something like this:

/stand
/target charactername
/cast # (# corresponding to what slot your heal is on your spell bar)
/g Incoming Heal to %t (tells the group that a heal is incoming to your current target)

Also, if anyone is starting up new characters, I would def be interested in playing a couple new toons and levelling up together. I also have no problem throwing some plat into getting some decent weapons and a few armor pieces.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 8, 2010

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Bard questions :siren:

I've gotten 3 different answers from 3 different bards. What should I specialize in? One guy said definitely Blade/Strike for groups, one guy said definitely energy/defense for doing damage in groups and kiting, and one guy said definitely focus/mind for kiting/groups. I have no idea what i'm doing.

Also while I have your attention, how do bard offensive songs work? If I want to have 2 active do I just press the buttons one after another after another? Also like, it seems my PBAE song keeps casting as long as I don't sit down or activate another offensive song or get bashed or something, but my single target damage song stops casting once I've switched targets?

Also someimes offensive songs stop casting for no discernible reason at all, I like the game but the lack of info available on what is happening around me is tough after playing more recent mmos. I mean, the spells don't even say what they do, that's bonkers to me. The way you have to figure poo poo out for yourself is pretty neat but like with the songs ending I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Finaly for dps in a group should I put on my fiddle or what ever and hand to hand poo poo or not use an instrument? Like in pulls larger then 1 my DPS seems better served just strumming the ole banjo. It seems like it doubles my song damage though that's just from my limited experience.

Oh! One more thing, everytime a tank pulls adds run at me even though I don't do anything (my damage songs are off and i'm just standing there). It's cool because better me then a caster but I'd like to know what the gently caress.

If you can answer these questions you'll be awesome.

Umph fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 8, 2010

MrFist
Aug 30, 2005
I've never played everquest, only MMORPG Ive played are WoW and Legend of Mir, Gonna give this a shout I think, thanks

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

What could I pick to actually solo up through levels? Is it just Necromancer/Magician/Beastlord like EQ or are other classes viable?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Umph posted:

Bard questions :siren:

I've gotten 3 different answers from 3 different bards. What should I specialize in? One guy said definitely Blade/Strike for groups, one guy said definitely energy/defense for doing damage in groups and kiting, and one guy said definitely focus/mind for kiting/groups. I have no idea what i'm doing.

Honestly, you will max out all of the specializations after you hit 65, and it won't make too much of a difference while you are levelling. Blade/Strike is probably the worst advice though considering bards don't do tons of melee damage. I would stick with focus/mind and energy defense to start.

quote:

Also while I have your attention, how do bard offensive songs work? If I want to have 2 active do I just press the buttons one after another after another? Also like, it seems my PBAE song keeps casting as long as I don't sit down or activate another offensive song or get bashed or something, but my single target damage song stops casting once I've switched targets?

In order to have 2 offensive spells active, you have to twist the songs. This is most useful when using a damage over time spell and a dd spell. You can cast the dot and once it hits, it will tick for the duration of the dot allowing you to cast a dd spell while it does dmg.

quote:

Also someimes offensive songs stop casting for no discernible reason at all, I like the game but the lack of info available on what is happening around me is tough after playing more recent mmos. I mean, the spells don't even say what they do, that's bonkers to me. The way you have to figure poo poo out for yourself is pretty neat but like with the songs ending I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Songs may stop playing at lower levels while your instrument and singing skills are low. Once you get more skill, they will rarely, if ever, stop playing. For information on the spells and what they do, check the wiki which has a link on the main page.

quote:

Finaly for dps in a group should I put on my fiddle or what ever and hand to hand poo poo or not use an instrument? Like in pulls larger then 1 my DPS seems better served just strumming the ole banjo. It seems like it doubles my song damage though that's just from my limited experience.

At lower levels, the only mods you will find come from actual instruments. However, at later levels you will find instrument mods on armor and weapons, so you will be able to attack with melee weapons while playing different songs.

quote:

Oh! One more thing, everytime a tank pulls adds run at me even though I don't do anything (my damage songs are off and i'm just standing there). It's cool because better me then a caster but I'd like to know what the gently caress.

Stay farther back from the tank on the pulls as it will take him a little bit of time to build aggro on several different mobs. Mobs tend to peel off if the tank has no aggro built up. Make sure to use a /assist charactername hotkey to target the mob that the tank is targeting. Also, it gets more manageable at higher levels when tanks have aoe aggro abilities. You will eventually ge mesmerize spells that help crowd control as well.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Vincent Valentine posted:

What could I pick to actually solo up through levels? Is it just Necromancer/Magician/Beastlord like EQ or are other classes viable?

Are you planning on 2-boxing or just playing one character? Honestly there is no reason not to 2-box as most computers can handle running 2 sod clients at the same time. If you are just playing one character, Necromancer, Beastlord, Bard, and Druid are probably your best bet.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
Monster AI is much much more complicated than eqemu or live in Shards of Dalaya. If a mob sees you singing a song or casting a spell and does not see the tank as threat enough it will attempt to stun or interrupt your spell away before its done casting. This means unless the tank knows what he is doing the mob will see that you are the greater threat singing your songs and go after you until the tank proves to him otherwise.

Basically your tank needs to gain a bit of hate before pulling it to the group. Or he can just get it off you after it aggros you.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

MrSargent posted:

:words:
Thanks a ton man :D

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Anytime. Hit me up in game if you need any other questions answered. I'm usually on Charley or Smashley.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I have a 37 SK and 36 shaman in <Goon Squad> if if they weren't deleted due to inactivity. SoD is a great EQ server!

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

Beastlords are actually really good at soloing the first few levels after they get a new pet, i.e. 39-44 or so after they get the 39 pet, but then it will slow down alot and you'd probably have to group a bit to get the next pet at 49.

I assume necros and mages are similar, although I haven't leveled either of them up very high. Bards can kite red cons through pretty much all 65 levels and level up fast solo if that's your thing.

Hobocaust
Jun 3, 2004

Oh man, I remember playing this in the summer of 2005. So much nostaglia for EQ but packed into a different world. This is just what I needed right now.

MrFist
Aug 30, 2005
Well im already loosing my rag, running around in a strange dream. No idea what im doing, nor can I find any beginner help on the wiki or site. Im quite probably the worst gamer ever.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

When you start in the dream, you want to hail the first NPC you see, who will guide you the rest of the way. You hail by simply pressing the "h" key while targetting the npc. Also, you can press the "backspace" button to bring up the map which should help you navigate through the dream.

MrFist
Aug 30, 2005

MrSargent posted:

When you start in the dream, you want to hail the first NPC you see, who will guide you the rest of the way. You hail by simply pressing the "h" key while targetting the npc. Also, you can press the "backspace" button to bring up the map which should help you navigate through the dream.

Hah, that might explain why I couldn't interact with anythimg, was just selecting the npc for fighting, thanks alot MrSargent. Just installed windows7, So will have to reinstall now, and get it on.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

My favorite part of reinstalling SoD is rebinding almost every single key to bring it up to industry standards from back in the day when numpad was considered a good form of movement.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
I have to go through that too. Newer installs do not need to do that. Its only for us old guys installing off the old discs. I have no idea why they used number keys - it was already fairly accepted to use WASD in first person games.

Figurant
Mar 16, 2005

I just logged in to my Sony Station account for the first time in 5 years, and my subscription info shows a ton of "Entitlements", including pretty much every expansion, even ones I never had when I played. Am I understanding correctly that I was given all these expansions due to a veteran account status, and therefore can download them all through the patcher at no charge? (Not even needing to renew my EQ subscription to do so?)

I know I'm asking the wrong guy here, sorry.

-edit- Nevermind, looks like you need to have a subscription to patch up fully. So not 100% free, but sounds like that's one way for former players to get everything they need for this quick.

Figurant fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 10, 2010

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I just wanted to post in hearty support for this game. I've been playing it on and off for years now. I haven't logged on much in the past few months but every once and awhile I get the itch to log back in.

Is GS still active in any way shape or form? This is Halfzware/Camden.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

From there, my second big issue was dual boxing. I like dual boxing, I really do. It's a lot of fun and I do it on WoW just because I like the variety of playing more than one character at once. But as far as I could figure out, EQ blocked the functionality of pressing a button while in one pane and having it activate the same button on the second pane. For example, in WoW I would currently have the Warrior's box up, and if I needed to heal it I could just tap numpad 1, which isn't bound to anything on the warrior and have it heal the warrior since numpad 1 on the second box is a healer.

I can't do this in EQ since EQ has to be the focused frame to accept input, and trying to do 2-window 1-computer dual boxing makes this impossible. Is there any way around this? I really can't get into alt-tabbing all the time to perform actions.

Other than that, I guess I can't say much. I did a little bit of junk in that swamp on two or three different attempts to get into the game and couldn't really get into it since dual-boxing was rear end and finding appropriate quests was equally rear end.

I dual boxed in the original EQ1, and I never had a problem simply because the pace of EQ is muuuuuuch slower than WoW. In WoW, most classes are able to spam a button every 1-2 seconds, and heals need to come quickly and often. If SoD is anything like EQ1, you can get away with only healing every 30 seconds or even less often, and no class could spam their nukes all the time without going OOM or getting agro.

I had a rogue with a shaman boxed, and I just alt-tabbed to the other window now and then to toss a HoT or buff, and sometimes a little nuke or dot if I could be bothered.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Quite A Tool posted:

Is GS still active in any way shape or form? This is Halfzware/Camden.

There are a few of the GS raiders that are now in Twilight Underground, and some others became devs/admins. Goon Squad itself is pretty dead from a guild perspective. Still some tagged people that play, but no guild raids or even groups that I'm aware of. There are a good number of new goon players though judging by this post and the SoD forums.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 10, 2010

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
Seen around 30 new players so far from this post. Perhaps goon squad shall be resurrected!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Tash posted:

Seen around 30 new players so far from this post. Perhaps goon squad shall be resurrected!

I have a 65 Bard that would join if it started up again and did stuff. I never found a good guild to join and haven't played this in forever.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Maybe I can be bothered to dig my 60 beast lord out. Been a while since messed around with him.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
I have no doubt that Meyers would be happy to give the reigns of Goon Squad over to someone who wanted to start it back up.

Goon Squad worked their way up through the tiers pretty damned fast. I bet a lot would come back if GS was up and running.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010
I have a question, it says you need either EverQuest: Titanium, EverQuest: Anniversary Edition, Everquest: Platinum Pack, or Everquest: Secrets of Faydwer. I only have Titanium, does that mean I am going to miss out on content like zones or items or whatever because I don't have the other versions?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Bemis posted:

I have a question, it says you need either EverQuest: Titanium, EverQuest: Anniversary Edition, Everquest: Platinum Pack, or Everquest: Secrets of Faydwer. I only have Titanium, does that mean I am going to miss out on content like zones or items or whatever because I don't have the other versions?

Each of those versions contains all the necessary zone files for SoD, as far as I know. You shouldn't be missing any content.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
The only difference is that the newer installations have the newer texture files - so things will be a bit more pretty (arguably - some like the old ones).

Other than that your experience will be exactly the same. Our patcher takes any of the listed releases and makes them fully compatible.

j883376
Aug 7, 2006

Linux Toddler!
So I got SoD running on this 3 year old notebook and even with its piss poor integrated graphics, it runs like a champ under Wine, so you Linux goons have no excuse not to install it unless you're allergic to proprietary software.

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!
Will the current EQ client work? (as in the one used on live)

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
Yup. Our patcher matches up any inconsistencies as long as you have GoD zones on your install.

j883376
Aug 7, 2006

Linux Toddler!
In an attempt to revive <Goon Squad>, you can look for Torleran in game and send me a tell if you'd like to get an invite to the guild. Maybe if we can amass enough goons, we can do some grouping up, etc.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Bump, i'm going to stay in the newbie guild for a while, theres tons of people to group with, but i'm up for joining a squad once i'm 60 or so. This game/server is great, I forgot how fun eq was, it's been almost a decade.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
I'm more than likely going to fire this up. I played EQ1 from vanilla up to PoP as a rogue, and WoW is just boring currently.

Chestered Drawers
Jan 19, 2006
We need more Goons!

Chestered Drawers fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 13, 2010

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Is there anyone I can email about getting my old account restored to me? I quit playing it back with SoD had another name, but the character is still on Wanelo, so not deleted or anything I think. I tried the stuff on the webpage but I have no idea what the email to the account is so can't really get any further than that by myself.

Edit: welp emailed and hopefully I can set up this power of attorney thing and get my Jotto back!

Krazuel fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 13, 2010

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
Jotto or anyone trying to regain access to an old account can check out:

http://forum.shardsofdalaya.com/showthread.php?t=20065

If you have your old email you can do it automatically. If not follow the instructions and send an email to sod.poa@gmail.com with the information in there. Itl usually take a day or so to get it all situated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
They managed to restore my account that I hadn't played in 4 years(!) very painlessly.

• Locked thread