Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008
Whoever redid Athica did a nice job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008
I think the last thread was dead when I asked this but is there an irc channel or something where everyone hangs out?

Also, someone please explain Mitch Lawrence to me.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008
And as far as 2 boxing, I changed the EQ windows .ini file so that the ` key is my alt-tab between two windows. So I just hit ` and have a hotkey setup to target and heal the other box, then i just push ` again after that. It's usually so fast I barely notice I just switched windows.

Of course this sucks if you haven't finished your fizzle AAs and you fizzle.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

robayon posted:

also I wonder if the original goon squad owners of the following characters will read this: Ardun and Micer

Hah whoever was on Ardun yesterday ninja AFK'd while we were in cmal :)

MrSargent posted:

Hey Meyers, I miss you and all the goons. This is your favorite ogre, Charley.

Are you Torleran? If you are, keep getting at me about your WDHK dragon. I'm Halinforth.

edit: Oh and thanks for the suggestion for the healing hotkey :)

I hate yankees fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 6, 2010

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

TheFace posted:

I never played a bard in original EQ and am now thinking I want to try one out in SOD... Are they able to solo at all and do they have at least some role in groups?

I'm a bard on SoD and the answer to your question is yes and no.

You can chant kite or PBAE kite solo, but that's slow. Melee soloing is entirely dependent on gear to be honest, but at 65 you won't be soloing stuff that gives you great exp (unless you kite).

And as far as melody goes, you can just hotkey commands to play songs, and it's sort of like melody from what I understand. You just have to use /pause to compensate for the cast and gem refresh time.

As far as boxing, the worst thing about a bard is getting bashed and having your detrimental songs interrupted and striped from the mob (like, slows for instance).

I really enjoy the changes the made in SoD compared to live because instead of twisting both positive and negative songs, I can continuously play two beneficial songs and only have to twist around two detrimental songs. Also, you can land two detrimental songs and and still use your DD/stun songs.

edit: Also, as far as grouping, most groups are always going to want a bard because their songs and their ability to off tank adds until they get under control. Enchanters get splattered a lot faster, unless you're ridiculously geared.

However, the server at times seems to have a ton of bards but it usually dies down and except for the regular bards.

Also, expect to have a hard time getting into pick-up raids over more established bards with their relic songs. This is what I'm currently going through.

I hate yankees fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 6, 2010

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

Rogue posted:

I've got a quest question - for Ilmer the Skald's 3rd quest out of Newport here, you have to go to the Oasis and kill desert orc mystics and loot 2 ritual knives. These guys are fairly tough but at level 19/20 I can solo them. However, on the quest page on the wiki, it says required level: 15 or less. I've killed maybe 20 mystics and not seen one of the knives drop - is it not dropping because my level is too high or is it just a low % drop and I need to keep killing them?

I was never able to finish that quest on my bard either. I don't think I ever saw a knife drop. I eventually stopped trying because the instrument augs don't do much on the high end.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008
I haven't played in awhile. Would I be able to join in on the raiding fun but remain somewhat casual with a few nights a week of playtime? I would much rather play with Goons over pubbies. Nice people, but I don't want to bang my head in the wall and quit again.

http://shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fomelo.php?char=halinforth

http://shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fomelo.php?char=medrayi

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

What about a nonstandard setup with something already soloable like a Magician/Necro/Blord and a Bard? You have tank/healing in the pet class with the bard able to drop combat buffs and otherwise just kind of being a bro. Side benefit of having the bard nets you tracking, mach speed, and some light trap detection/removal.

I have a bard and wizard and it's pretty awesome. I don't need to focus much on the wizard when I'm boxing because it's easily macro'd with hotkeys. It's hard to solo sometimes but there are some tricks you can do like timing chain mezzes with nukes. It's a fun challenge.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008
I really wanted to get into raiding with a competent group of people but any guilds I saw recruiting were asking for, at a minimum, all 5 CoP's complete. Those take a massive amount of time to complete, and the longer time goes on the further the goalpost moves to joining a guild like that.

I'm not saying they need to be nerfed, but it is an issue that I don't believe has been addressed. The longer the server goes on the harder it is to break into it. You have to remember, not everyone has Goon Squad connections.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

eldrumo posted:

We have been doing a ton of day raids, and off night snipes, in addition to the normal 2 days a week raiding. Raiding up to T8-9ish on official nights with a ringer tank. We could use a cleric main so we can drop a box.

Am I out of tier? :ohdear:

http://shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fomelo.php?char=Halinforth

http://shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fomelo.php?char=Medrayi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

Ketocon posted:

Boats and Hoes my fellow neckbeards.

The server has been recently "upgraded" to version 2.5 which means it now appears on the EQEmu server list. The server has also had a nice influx of people but unfortunately you know how SOD is...

This is where <Vintage> comes in. Vintage is going to be a guild for the low end crew that wants to raid without ringers. Basically what Goonsquad was when I re-made it about a year ago. If you didn't get a chance to hang out before and this sounds like something you would like to do then feel free to join!

PM me on the SOD forums as either Nebi or you can find me in game on Abuelito.

Have any changes been made to help people "catch up" as far as codecs? That's why I stopped playing. I'm not going to grind on a low population server where everyone two boxes because that's just not fun for me unless there's some sort of incentive, like an experience boost with codecs up to X amount. Even if it was just with the power ones that'd make me consider playing again.

• Locked thread