Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I play on this server, it's fun. :3

It's not classic though so it's not going to help you recapture the "good old days" exactly how you remember them if that's what you're trying to get so badly. (There is a server for that).

At the same time I think it does a great job of keeping the difficulty and group-centric focus of EQ while removing a lot of the perceived annoyances of classic. They've also added a ton of cool extra features, and other areas to min/max your dude in (alignment, specializations, better AAs, and now TOMES oh gosh it never ends =( ). It's got the feel of a good MUD in a lot of ways.

It's still EQ though so don't expect nice WoW features.

The nice thing is that the playerbase at higher levels is fairly tight-knit so it feels like a good MUD in a lot of ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Fates_Nemesis posted:

I have played on Shards of Dalaya for a little over 6 years. I log in on raid days, as well as off days to quest or get into some 6/12 man dungeon fun. All I can say is, server loving delivers. Like the above mentioned, tons of custom content. You wont find a single item or npc that exists on live. This is also a 2-box friendly community. So playing two clients from the start is generally a swell idea, it easily makes up for those times you cant get a group. If you enjoyed EQ1, there is a good chance you will really love rediscovering it all over again in a completely different way.

What's your IGN?

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Flater posted:

Huge amount of information provided on the wiki
https://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com

Also I'd travel a bit and give another area a go, you started in one of the most inhospitable ones.

I think some of the newer devs are making more lower level quests, though I think it might have been hearsay. Confirm/deny?

The biggest thing I like about this game is that the devs are very active and are constantly tweaking things. Plus they are on the server a decent amount screwing around/having fun (and aren't power hungry drama kings D:) so I like them.

Also you can apparently get a ton of XP from doing tradeskills though I've never done them. Keep in mind though Vincent that EQ is a grind-centric game at its core, though SoD does do a great job of giving you other stuff to do if you don't feel like another night of grinding. The game really does start at 65 in a lot of ways.

PS: One other nice thing is that if you're a DPS class or a healer class you shouldn't have any issues getting into any raid guilds. Tanks on the other hand... need to make a lot of friends and ride some coattails.

PSS: I'm Lenlalron ingame if you want to harass me for bein' a goon.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Ah, I meant a goon-only thing but I'll check this out too, thanks. And thanks for the other answers. Do people usually mind if you two box in a group? Also, how do shaman and druids fare as healers in end game compared to clerics?

People two-box all the time in XP groups, the only time people actively care is when you're doing an obviously bad job at one/both your roles, especially if you're tanking or healing.

Dual boxing isn't really preferred in raids though if you get the job done I imagine people don't care too badly.

Some people do dual-box tank and healer but they're either insane and/or massively overgeared for the job =p

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
They managed to restore my account that I hadn't played in 4 years(!) very painlessly.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Jotto posted:

So now that I have my account back, here are my screenshots from old SoD:

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

Oh man Bretto is my RL brother (in the text box in that picture). Wish he would play again =(

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

MrSargent posted:

To those that were looking for another character to box with, try and get a hold of me in game on either Charley or Smashley. I have a number of 65 characters that I rarely play that I would be willing to lend out the info for to help with quests or experience groups. Here is a list of the toons I have so you can take a look at their fomelo.

Kragen - 65 Paladin
Sheezor - 65 Monk
Hobbie - 65 Bard

Oooh, a monk sounds interesting. Are they hard to do dps with (as in can I just have them autoattack and own face)? I could use the extra dps when I run around on my Paladin (Lenlalron btw, the best Paladin evar).

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

bagmonkey posted:

Okay downloading. I will probably play a beastlord or a monk or a paladin or something. Who knows yet. My beastlord will be named either Bumblebee or Bumbletewna for sure tho.

Might want to read the naming policy first (at work so I don't have a direct link), basically anything that's obviously a word/reference/animal whatever isn't kosher. It sounds draconic at first but I think it's rather refreshing to not have to play with players like "Bighuge" and stuff.

Though if Afish is of any note I guess you could do "Abumblebee", or the second works too.

PS: "Only" 311 AA, what's funny is that it's a ton of AA to a fresh 65 and yet in another way so very true (when you think of tomes). I restarted last January at like 80 or so and I'm at 296 right now (admittedly I did take a large break in there). THE LEVELING NEVER STOPS IN EQ!

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 31, 2010

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Jotto posted:

This deserves to be on the first page!

They just put in a system where the loot you get off of "adepts" (lower level raid encounters with a maximum level cap to fight it) now levels up as you do, making them more worthwhile.

I'm genuinely impressed with the wizardry they've done with this game.

Edit: Dumb EQ question but how do you make a trackbot? I need one for DHK.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Jotto posted:

GEnerally you make a ranger aNd get him un kos to whatever your trying to track. Then plop him in the middle of whatever zone.

What level do rangers get track? Do I need to grind with him some first or is it possible to run to my zone at level 1?

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Carwin posted:

Interesting. That's not necessarily a game killer for me unless I can't walk into a dungeon without being aggroed from two floors below or something. I'll have to see how it works out in practice.

An entire zone worth of mobs all gathering in a single spot is a lot more gamebreaking (in my mind) then a mob clipping through a corner to get to me, so I'm happy to hear it's a Mistwood issue. Thanks for the responses.

I really haven't had the "jumped from floors above" happen except like once or twice in a few months. Pathing is pretty good in dungeons.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Carwin posted:

Rumor on the street is you guys (broadly referring to "those responsible for SoD") are/were developing your own indie MMO. Is this for real?

I find it impressive and a little funny that SoD showcases better design decisions than anything SoE, SE or Mythic have managed in the last 5 years.

Wiz (the original creator) is working on his own game; I dunno about the new SoD admins or anything.

Edit: Even though I don't raid, at 65 and 320 AAs I still have stuff to do. Most people are very helpful and you can get groups together to do some of the wackier stuff. I'm on the Mielech part of the Vah quest now and I am fairly confident I'll get a group together for that soon- just put some effort in OOC and people are pretty cool :)

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 6, 2010

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Jotto posted:

Look for me in game if you need some dps, I'm on same part (assuming you mean froglok spirits / Mielech)

Jotto

Alright. I'll probably see if I can't get something together with my guild on Friday night or Saturday afternoon, so I'll see if you're around.

I'm Lenlalron btw, you probably have seen me spam ooc =p

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Wiz is right- in making a good rule you have to draw clear boundaries.

I was hit by the naming policy too- Dragongem wouldn't be a legal name (I have the same sort of fondness to the name).

To me, I'm ok with it. In being unfortunately denied by the naming policy I don't have to deal with clever people who think that "Dumbbutt" are clever names and want to use them. It's very, very relaxing actually to deal with people with non-stupid names.

So...get over it.

Also, the GMs aren't even that draconic on the naming policy nowadays- if it looks remotely decent (*cough* Afish *cough* <- he's cool btw don't nerf him) you'll probably get away with it. Call yourself "Zthero". There, that works!

Also: Why does every paladin I've ever met/heard of somehow have like 3 more tiers of gear than me :psyduck:? Do the same boxes just get tossed around? D:

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 19, 2010

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I think the P1999 thread (which is a laugh riot if you love classic e-drama) leaked into here. Speaking of that thread, if the admins really were babies who gave favortism everywhere you'd see us ridiculing it all the time. (ps Woldo sux lololol)

So, actual content:

Anyone here done the Murk spells? How do you get them? I got my faction grinded up to dubious, but idk when and where I can get access to those spells.

(Pss don't jail me Woldo)

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Got my vah banner (well, the vah rehn one) on Saturday night! :toot:

It was like classic MMOing again for me- I put a raid together, had to burn through healers left and right with replacements, and basically grind it out until 1:50 AM (I started at like 10:00 PM recruiting). Was so tiring but so good to get that final kill. Good work SoD devs. =p

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
new Mansion of Portals is scary =(

Although humorously enough my one trip in it since the update I ran in, didn't get hit by anything, but I got Portal Contagion. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
you guys got spot for a decently geared Paladin? Prob. can't raid a lot but I can do what I can and I love group quests :3

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

DangerDongs posted:

Well that is lame; this is kind of putting me off from the game if everything can just be rolled over.

That's not necessarily true (the "rolling through stuff"); it's more a function of "how geared your tank/healer is" and "what you're fighting". There is a contingent of highly-tiered people who blow through things left and right and can tank a lot of monsters, but if you're doing stuff that's close to your gear stuff mezzing still helps a lot.

You don't really see a lot of need when people are just grinding since people are kinda lazy and want to go for semi-effort; but there's need for crowd control when you're doing some of the harder group quests/etc.

People do want enchanters but usually like one per raid, they're not super high regarded v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

diadem posted:

I just wanted to say thank you to Zaza again.

When this server was first opened Sony Online threatened to sue me over it. They thought I was you and they thought you were doing things you weren't. Sony didn't bother looking a the contact information or anything, Sony just saw my name somewhere and went after me with horrific legal fury.

Sony made a lot of strange accusations and said if I didn't stop they'd sue me. Since I wasn't doing what Sony accused me of, I couldn't very well stop doing it.

I called a few lawyers who basically told me that being innocent is irrelevant - if Sony wanted to destroy me, they could.

Sony called everyone - my professors, my family, etc. Sony even got a false confession out of one of my parents by using the whole "why did he do it" approach.

I contacted your administrator. It was at that point Zaza - your original server admin - stepped up and intervened. He even took the server offline so a total stranger - me - wouldn't lose his house and his livelihood over this.

Zaza, if it wasn't for your integrity, my life wouldn't be what it is right now. It'd be hellish. You stepped up years ago to help a total stranger accused of being you. You may have forgotten it by now but I haven't - my life would have gone in an entirely different direction if it wasn't for you stepping up to the bat.

Thank you.

Oh, man, Zaza, haven't seen that name since the Evercrest days. I have nothing but respect for the man. I had always wondered if Sony would/did go after the server, but I didn't realize it got that intense.

PS Mirace Trail, best D&D warrior ever

• Locked thread