Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I have played SoD on and off for a few years and it has been an awesome experience. Levelling is much faster than on live and with the ability to play 2 toons at once, you can still get experience when you can't find a group. I have a level 65 shaman, 65 monk, 65 pally, 65 bard, and 65 ranger and love playing each of them. The quests are well-designed, there is tons of raid content, and there is a fairly large player-base. In short, go play on this server because it is awesome.

Oh yah, they also jail (probate) people for mentioning Chuck Norris in global chat, which is absolutely awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

zornsan posted:

Hey dudes I'm Meyers in game I don't really play any more but I help with dev work when I'm not being lazy.

Hey Meyers, I miss you and all the goons. This is your favorite ogre, Charley.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I hate yankees posted:

Are you Torleran? If you are, keep getting at me about your WDHK dragon. I'm Halinforth.

I'm the original Charley. I let a few goons have his info when I stopped playing so they could use him for buffing or groups.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Dropbear posted:

I'm thinking of giving this a shot, due to all the good things I've heard of it. I've never really played EQ1, and wonder about some of the classes - is a DPS-based druid viable here, or wanted in groups? How about a good ol' rogue?

A druid's primary role will always be a healer in groups or raids simply because the pure dps classes will do far better damage. Rogues are the kings of the melee dps group, and are arguably the best long-term dps class. They also get a lot of unique skills. The only downside to being a rogue is they are probably one of the worst solo classes, but they more than make up for it with their group and raid contribution.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Oolarg posted:

Are there any guides on how to dual box out there? I've been thinking of duoing a rogue/healer but have no idea how to get started on that.

I'm not sure what you are asking. Basically you just run two clients in EQ Windows and use Alt+tab to switch between the two clients. Basically you will be attacking stuff with your rogue while your cleric heals. However, as you level up, you may find it a bit difficult to duo seeing as a rogue needs to be behind a mob to do max damage and rogues are not the best at taking hits. I would recommend playing a shaman with the rogue because of all the buffs that a shaman can give to your rogue (haste, stat buffs, hp buffs, movement speed buffs), and the ability to slow mobs will help you take a lot less damage.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Umph posted:

You can, the macros let you do things like /cast /pause /cast on one button so you'll be able to multitask better on your bot. Most of the things you can do in SoD you can do in eq and theres way more documentation/wikis about eq stuff. So for help making macros in sod check eq wikis., that's what I did.

This is true, although for the purposes of healing your other box, you will rarely want to stack your heals like that. It is much more efficient to just alt+tab and hit the number of your heal hot button and then alt+tab back. If you level up boxing, you will most likely become very proficient at playing both characters.

My heal macro for my shaman looks something like this:

/stand
/target charactername
/cast # (# corresponding to what slot your heal is on your spell bar)
/g Incoming Heal to %t (tells the group that a heal is incoming to your current target)

Also, if anyone is starting up new characters, I would def be interested in playing a couple new toons and levelling up together. I also have no problem throwing some plat into getting some decent weapons and a few armor pieces.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 8, 2010

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Umph posted:

Bard questions :siren:

I've gotten 3 different answers from 3 different bards. What should I specialize in? One guy said definitely Blade/Strike for groups, one guy said definitely energy/defense for doing damage in groups and kiting, and one guy said definitely focus/mind for kiting/groups. I have no idea what i'm doing.

Honestly, you will max out all of the specializations after you hit 65, and it won't make too much of a difference while you are levelling. Blade/Strike is probably the worst advice though considering bards don't do tons of melee damage. I would stick with focus/mind and energy defense to start.

quote:

Also while I have your attention, how do bard offensive songs work? If I want to have 2 active do I just press the buttons one after another after another? Also like, it seems my PBAE song keeps casting as long as I don't sit down or activate another offensive song or get bashed or something, but my single target damage song stops casting once I've switched targets?

In order to have 2 offensive spells active, you have to twist the songs. This is most useful when using a damage over time spell and a dd spell. You can cast the dot and once it hits, it will tick for the duration of the dot allowing you to cast a dd spell while it does dmg.

quote:

Also someimes offensive songs stop casting for no discernible reason at all, I like the game but the lack of info available on what is happening around me is tough after playing more recent mmos. I mean, the spells don't even say what they do, that's bonkers to me. The way you have to figure poo poo out for yourself is pretty neat but like with the songs ending I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Songs may stop playing at lower levels while your instrument and singing skills are low. Once you get more skill, they will rarely, if ever, stop playing. For information on the spells and what they do, check the wiki which has a link on the main page.

quote:

Finaly for dps in a group should I put on my fiddle or what ever and hand to hand poo poo or not use an instrument? Like in pulls larger then 1 my DPS seems better served just strumming the ole banjo. It seems like it doubles my song damage though that's just from my limited experience.

At lower levels, the only mods you will find come from actual instruments. However, at later levels you will find instrument mods on armor and weapons, so you will be able to attack with melee weapons while playing different songs.

quote:

Oh! One more thing, everytime a tank pulls adds run at me even though I don't do anything (my damage songs are off and i'm just standing there). It's cool because better me then a caster but I'd like to know what the gently caress.

Stay farther back from the tank on the pulls as it will take him a little bit of time to build aggro on several different mobs. Mobs tend to peel off if the tank has no aggro built up. Make sure to use a /assist charactername hotkey to target the mob that the tank is targeting. Also, it gets more manageable at higher levels when tanks have aoe aggro abilities. You will eventually ge mesmerize spells that help crowd control as well.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Vincent Valentine posted:

What could I pick to actually solo up through levels? Is it just Necromancer/Magician/Beastlord like EQ or are other classes viable?

Are you planning on 2-boxing or just playing one character? Honestly there is no reason not to 2-box as most computers can handle running 2 sod clients at the same time. If you are just playing one character, Necromancer, Beastlord, Bard, and Druid are probably your best bet.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Anytime. Hit me up in game if you need any other questions answered. I'm usually on Charley or Smashley.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

When you start in the dream, you want to hail the first NPC you see, who will guide you the rest of the way. You hail by simply pressing the "h" key while targetting the npc. Also, you can press the "backspace" button to bring up the map which should help you navigate through the dream.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Great screenshots. I also highly approve of reforming Goon Squad. I am currently in a high tiered guild but would be glad to help you all when I'm not raiding, or lend you the use of some of my toons. I have several 65's with reasonable gear (65 shaman, ranger, paladin, monk, bard)

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

To those that were looking for another character to box with, try and get a hold of me in game on either Charley or Smashley. I have a number of 65 characters that I rarely play that I would be willing to lend out the info for to help with quests or experience groups. Here is a list of the toons I have so you can take a look at their fomelo.

Kragen - 65 Paladin
Sheezor - 65 Monk
Hobbie - 65 Bard

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

smuggler posted:

Gotcha. In as Billup/Teldu Bard/Shaman.

Edit: Thanks to Smashley for hooking a goon up with some newb plats. I promise I will spend it wisely squander it all.

You are most welcome

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

isildur posted:

Pre-luclin humans and ogres make me want to die. There's a level of old-school I'm willing to tolerate.

You take that back right now. Old ogre models are quite possibly the best model in all of SoD.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Also Grake, the infamous Vagpounder was just unbanned so I mean your chances can't be that bad!

This is Charley (Ogre Shaman) if you remember me, think we grouped / raided a few times back in the day.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Hey guys, this is Charley. I told a few people in guild but I most likely will not be playing much for the foreseeable future due to my work schedule. However, that doesn't mean that other people shouldn't benefit from using my awesome toons! I'll make a list of them and if you are interested at all, just post in the thread with your in-game name and I'll give you the info, along with a list of what factions they are on so you don't mess them up.

Charley - 65 Shaman - http://www.shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fomelo.php?char=charley
Smashley - 65 Ranger - http://www.shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fomelo.php?char=smashley
Hobbie - 65 Bard - http://www.shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fomelo.php?char=hobbie
Kragen - 65 Paladin - http://www.shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fomelo.php?char=kragen
Sheezor - 65 Monk - http://www.shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fomelo.php?char=sheezor

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

You guys are free to use my Ranger if you need more DPS. Her name is Smashley, she is pretty awesome. Post here if you want info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Foil posted:

Goon Magicfungus and I have been working on some newbs but we have hit a gear wall at 50. We ground to much without getting gear, so our 50 box combo (me SHM/WIZ, him BRD/SHD) needs some loot. Anyone with some uber char want to help us clear some of the 50 dungeons some time? Would be a big rear end help.

Also for reference this is Tsile, I left for a year+ but I have played like 90ish hours in the last 7 days, so I am pretty much back.

I have been levelling up a Cleric lately (she is 61 now) so get to the 60's and you can join me as I slaughter dungeons and tmaps using Bango.

• Locked thread