Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Fates_Nemesis posted:

Asura.

Woah, a familiar name! Used to play this as Xaltec a long time ago, thought about playing again but don't have my old eq1 CDs or my account info anymore so, meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Mr.Success posted:

Two boxing is really making me wish I had someone to duo with instead. If any of you know anyone who would be interested in rolling a new character, please let them know that I will heal and buff the poo poo out of them.

I rolled up an sk named Soultari and prolly gonna box something. What is your in game name?

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Ah, I meant a goon-only thing but I'll check this out too, thanks. And thanks for the other answers. Do people usually mind if you two box in a group? Also, how do shaman and druids fare as healers in end game compared to clerics?

Two boxing is fine so long as you aren't actively bad/hurting the group because you can't play one of them at least decently. Druids and shamans heal decently but clerics in terms of raw healing are better. However each of the healers has pros and cons really.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Welp, I've tried to come back a few times and it just isn't the same for me. So I am tentatively offering up my characters to you goons. First dibs will go to anyone in Ruin who knew me, after that message me on aim soultari and we'll talk. If you bribe errrr convince me you can have one or both.

First a fairly well geared wizard but only 311AAs http://shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fomelo.php?char=xaltec

Second a lesser geared monk with a boatload of AAs http://shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fomelo.php?char=xeras

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

I can also invite you on my monk Xeras.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Zero The Hero posted:

You mention "crippling authority issues" in a server where the names are not just regulated for vulgarity or inappropriateness, but just to force the players to fit into the "story", out of some admin's desire to micromanage the community. But you're blaming... the players?

I want to name myself Zerothehero. It's a name I've used for a while. The phrase isn't exactly unique but my use was inspired by the 70's band Gong. He was a character in a series of concept albums they released. The name isn't offensive or inappropriate. I don't want to name myself Eleria Dawnbringer or some name like that just because some admin likes roleplaying any more than I'd like to name myself Fox_Lover_233 just because some admin was a furry. The last thing I'll do is tolerate being insulted for not wanting to roleplay.

In my view it has nothing to do with authority or roleplay issues. The rule is in place to prevent retarded names, i.e. all the cat/kitty based names that came when luclin first launched on live and the vah shir came out.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Zero The Hero posted:

:words:

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. This is precisely why(in my view) this rule was created and it seems to be working great.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Is there a goony goon guild to play in or how are you all playing together?

There is a Goon Squad with a few active members including myself. There are other goons scattered throughout guilds on the server as well.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Who are you on there? I could use some help with learning the ropes. I rolled a rogue. I've played on this server before, but its been forever and I played on Live earlier this year, but I realize SoD is nothing like that one at all.

I am on Xoneru my beastlord and Xaltec my wizard usually. If you don't see me on feel free to hit me up on aim/msn/gmail are all soultari.

Edit: Also you can two box on this server which I strongly recommend as rogues aren't the best soloers.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

So the folks I left my monk Susvain to have stopped playing, and I figured that I might as well give Goon Squad access to him if anyone wants to use him as a raid puller or boxxed DPS for exp groups or whatever. Decently well geared for what Goon Squad is raiding it looks like.

So, if there's anyone playing in Goon Squad that I know, post here or PM me and I'll give you the info.

Eh, I think just about everyone has access to Xeras anyhow :v:

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Double exp weekend isn't starting until 11:59PM PST tonight.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Equilibrium posted:

GS has been actually raiding T7+ content for like months. As a reward this game's horribly managed dev team (its one guy) removed something like an entire tier's worth of content and rendered half the poo poo we farmed in LT useless! Can't wait to grind to Farhags without Thaz gear only to get 1 loot/boss when we finally do get there. It's like everything-you-don't-do-in-an-ageing-mmo, the game.

While the removal of Thaz sucked for current Goon Squad it is a move I support. Thaz gave pretty insane loot for a zone that overall wasn't that hard(at least Lower). It also helped us to look at different targets that aren't Thaz and that's pretty cool too. The only real issue with THaz being gone is a theoretical decrease in targets but that hasn't happened so far!

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Stanos posted:

:words:

Hey why do you post more than you play Masu come back!

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Double Monocle posted:

Saw the banner add, read the first couple of pages. drat you EQ, I will never be able to take these nostalgia goggles off.

Will probably start up tommorow, question for you vets-

I dont want to dual box, so its one character for me.

That being said, I was thinking of playing a (from what I remember of old EQ) good solo class, like a necro or druid, possibly bard.

Is there any class I should shy away from? Is there rougly 13 million necros? Is there about 1 enchanter on the server and hes got a lovely internet, so rolling a chanter means people will line up to talk to me?

Basically looking for the state of the game and seeing what I can roll up to help out my fellow goons.

I would very much suggest you reconsider your stance on dual boxxing as it can make it difficult to get things done on a single character.

In regards to class I think druids are one of the cooler healing classes especially at high end. Necros are disgustingly overpowered in terms of damage and utility as well. At the moment we are lacking in both in our raiding ranks but that shouldn't impact your decision at all. Enchanters are also scarce but people are too stupid to realize how good enchanters are so good luck getting a non goon group on an enchanter(at max level at least).

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Boxing will make your life a lot easier on you so I would suggest doing it. As to bound items those are items that are now bound on equip and so they become automatically bound to your character.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Anything that is bind on equip becomes bound after you equip it but can be unbound and resold to players or unenchanted and sold to a merchant.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Clinton1011 posted:

The XP gain isn't as much of an issue as being able to get the person back to the camp without running back.

Can a druid fill a pure dps role well? We are thinking of having 1 cleric and 1 druid for backup heals/DPS/CC and utility but the primary role he will fill most of the time is DPS.

So far we plan to have Cleric, Warrior, Druid and Enchanter. A Necro and another dps class might be boxed by the Cleric and Warrior. We really haven't decided on the last two dps spots yet.

Edit: After reading the first few posts in the thread you listed it seems like I really will want to have a cleric in the group. We plan to do 6 man and 12 man raids when we get 65 so having a cleric for that will really help.

A better option in this case for your group might be a shaman. Shamans bring a lot of utility from haste, good buffs, dots, slows and debuffs. It's also easier for a shaman to be effective when they have another healer in the group.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

The patcher should be pointed towards your everquest directory for instance mine looks like C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\EverQuest. If that still doesn't work for you go into wherever the eqw folder is and run eqw.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Rogue posted:

Hey, if someone wants to box/play my 65 bard, send me a PM. She was in pretty good shape with some very nice weapons, some mid-level raid gear, 50 or 60AAs.

Speaking raid wise the last thing we need at this point is more boxes really. We have continued to raid despite people coming and going and we are pretty solidly around tier 8/9. We could use more raiders who exp on days that aren't raid days and less boxes basically!

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Most soloing is going to be in the form of kiting just as fair warning, also I am not big on soloing so these are not my personal experiences. Also you are going to earn much better exp in groups and a lot of mobs for quests can't be solo'd by kiting.

Bard-Able to solo as long as you have the patience to run things in a circle for a long time.
Beastlord-Might be able to let their pet solo stuff in the levels shortly after getting a new pet but not very effective. Can't solo at 65.
Cleric-Nope.
Druid-I guess you could dot/nuke kite or you could used charmed animals I am unsure of the efficiency of either of these.
Enchanter-Can solo by using charmed mobs to kill other mobs but can get pretty dicey if solo, most box a druid.
Magician-I don't think the pet would last long enough for mobs to be killed by just a magician and their pet but I am unsure.
Monk-I guess it could be done with light blue mobs or really easy dark blues but it would involve lots of downtime.
Necromancer-Could dot kite I guess but I have heard necro soloing isn't the best.
Paladin-Just like warriors and shadowknights soloing for a tank isn't an option or is a very poor option.
Rogue-Not very effective way to level at all as a rogue.
Wizard-Can solo alright to level if you enjoy kiting.
Shaman-I guess you could root and dot but it would be pretty awful.
Ranger-Could bow kite I guess assuming you have a decent bow and a source of arrows. Making a magician for arrow summoning needs would be a good idea if you did this.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

The quality of equipment now easily available really increased with ikisith. A lot of the old raid gear, pretty much all of tiers 1-4, can be surpassed with some ikisith BOE pieces these days. Goons have really progressed at a pretty impressive clip over the past year. Just by looking at our raid wrapups a year ago we were doing no raiding last April and then some outer prison and caverns of darkness which are about tier 5/6. At this point we have progressed to a semi solid tier 9.5ish.

Obviously I would stress you should play this game because it's a lot of fun and not for loot though. Desires for loot usually just ends up in drama or people who burn out.

Edit: I should mention warriors have been revamped semi recently and are now a blast to play. Being a tank can still be difficult given the enormous uphill climb at 65 but if you enjoy it they are a lot of fun.

Xeras fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 4, 2012

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Xeras has been used by a ton of goons in the past which is really cool. The boots eventually got replaced but it was a pretty funny story from Neg. Anyone who would want to use Xeras is free to do so still these days. We have had a nice influx of mid 60s goons lately and have about 3 characters in the low 60s range so this is a good time to play if you have characters in that range. Also if you are 55 to 65 the 65 goons can help you out with exp or quests or whatever.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Clinton1011 posted:

Any suggestions for making plat in the 55-60 range? We have a full group and half of us have no plat and are missing a lot of gear. I figure what we can't camp for our selves we can at last buy from the auction channel.

As a bench mark for what we can handle, we have been able to take out the bone dragons in dragons necropolis. Its a close fight but we can take them as long as someone doesn't make a big mistake.

I'd be glad to power you through cmal for some easy upgrades. I would recommend saving your plat to put towards charms as gear can be gotten from pickup raids and cmal and tmaps. I am usually on Xaltec if I am around, feel free to send me a tell or whatever.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

This server is great.

Xeras fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 2, 2012

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

Has anyone on the SoD staff ever said they wanted to do this? I thought that was just accepted as the way this server works. Pathing would alter the pulling mechanics of many zones quite drastically.

Wiz stated there was a working pathing system but it was too resource intensive.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Broadside posted:

Is the goon guild still around? Just started a SK named Ilsilth. If anyone wants to chuck me any unwanted items I'd be greatful.

Goon guild is very much still alive however almost everyone in it is level 65. You would probably be better off staying in Dalayan's Beginners for a while to start out. Also since it is October people will be paying for the dream masks so if you run across those you can currently sell them for 100 plat a pop.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

There are tons of groups happening right now. Population seems to be doing very well from the account drive as well.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Bandwidth Wagon posted:

When I played, Paladins were the best group tanks because they had 2-3 spells that would AE and thus they could control multiple mobs easily. As for why they use blind instead of stun, it was my experience that they generated a similar amount of aggro and blind uses almost no mana. Also, they're both magic resist based, so it otherwise didn't make much different using one versus the other. Many mobs were practically immune to stun anyway.

Stuns are also incredibly annoying to any melee DPS as they move the mobs around substantially so if it is a box heavy group that can be a real pain.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

There is a lot of great content to enjoy on this server. In order to take part in the very high end content it does take a lot of time but there's a lot to enjoy before then.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

VulpesInculta posted:

Downloading the client now; played EverQuest up to about level 20 around the time Planes of Power was just out, so basically clueless. What classes are useful and in demand? I'd like to get into the social side as quickly as possible.

The most in demand class is usually a healer. Cleric is the best healer but also has very little utility however.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

unclenutzzy posted:

Hey, thanks. I spent a bit looking at this, and it looks like there's enough group content to keep me occupied for a while as a casual player.

If all characters are on tier, what's the ideal group composition for progressing through group content? Do all tank/healer combos work?

I would like to point out most of that content is going to be very difficult to do without gear attained from raiding. I'm sure it's certainly doable, but it will be more arduous.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

Hey are there any goons out there with a fresh 65 monk that will let me use it for like an hour to do some parses? I've got my own t13 monk and I can probably get access to one that's tier ~9 but I really want to get data from one that's on the lower end.

Or Woldaff if you see this, maybe you could just tell me if I'm wasting my time because the fist/h2h situation is going to be changed?

You could use Xeras if you want but he is fully codexed, sorry!

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Pinky posted:

Bigiss Freearcibu

An Arcibu supporter? :frogout:

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Conquistador posted:

Alright, I'm downloadin dis shiz and what niz

E: Seems like High Elf is the smarter way to go for Cleric?

If you're getting into a min/max discussion at the end halfling is probably the best for every class that can be halfling for the death save.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Yeah I (Xaltec) am always in the Goon channel (/join Goon in game) and will hook you up with mithril weapons.

Edit: I may be on Fuwok or Radaere too but those characters aren't mine but I'll still be in the Goon channel.

Xeras fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 23, 2013

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Crotch Turtles posted:

Two questions!

1) Compared to other EQs, it seems like my 3rd person viewpoint is quite a lot higher(as in higher up on the screen) in SOD. Have I screwed something up or is this usual?

2) I used to play this awhile ago, how far 'behind' is my old character? http://shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fomelo.php?char=terate

Your wizard is still very solid gear wise. One of the bigger advancements is tomes like codexes of power and other such things. This is my wizard who is pretty decently geared and exp'd: http://shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fomelo.php?char=xaltec

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

BloodThirster posted:

I've reinstalled, where did all my buddies go?? I was gone all summer. This is Yogg. I'll probably be dinking around if dudes want to beat up some digital monsters.

To better games basically.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Zethrendel posted:

I'm sure this is asked a million god drat times in this thread, but how's the player population for SoD? I'm not looking for it to be thousands of people all spamming endlessly in chat or anything, but a steady amount is nice. This game looks interesting and I've been trying to scratch that MMO itch lately and nothing that's free seems appealing.

It's pretty much dead.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Tabletops posted:

should I come back and play?

also quick rules question since I don't remember, can I triple log a buffbot or is that a nono? I can't remember if triple+ logging is only really bad if your xping or not.

The one problem is whenever I log in I see under 100 characters on and no goons in the goon guild. If you are leveling up a character I think those ranges are even more sparse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

I see loving Efik in that pic...

• Locked thread