Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

DangerDummy! posted:

Is Tig Notaro actually a comedian? I've only experienced her on random podcasts and she's always goddamn death.
That's her standup gimmick basically, it really doesn't lend itself to improv or normal conversation.

The Doug Loves Movies she was on was especially painful, she single-handedly brought the show to a dead stop several times. I guess it can be kind of funny to be the monkey wrench in the works under the right circumstances, but when everyone else is just having fun and riffing about movies and stuff it's really terrible and unfunny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003

DangerDummy! posted:

Is Tig Notaro actually a comedian? I've only experienced her on random podcasts and she's always goddamn death.

She killed on the CDR one year episode. And her story about Taylor Dayne is absolutely amazing.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

She killed on the CDR one year episode. And her story about Taylor Dayne is absolutely amazing.

She was pretty great on WTF as well.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

DangerDummy! posted:

I agree with you. She is a good story teller but on CDR she steps all over the funny. She interrupted Bob Duka's aliment list so many times. I'm not saying she's not funny but on CDR she brings things to a halt on a regular basis by questioning the reality of whats happening or making snide remarks about what people say.

The Taylor Dane story was great.

Also the latest episode of Lou Reads is up if you care. http://bit.ly/RussianBride

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
Tig Notaro is definitely the least funny "comedian" I've heard on CDR.

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003

King Lou posted:

She interrupted Bob Duka's aliment list so many times.

To each his own I guess, but I thought the back and forth repetition of "Hot Tub Foot" was one of the funniest parts of that whole bit.

edit: also her impression of someone doing impressions is probably the best meta-comedy stand up bit I've seen. Maybe tied with Andy Daly's generic stand up comedian bit.

Wise Old Shitashi fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 17, 2010

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
The "Good One" Robot always makes me laugh. :)

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
This week's Comedy Death Ray is fantastic. I don't think it beats the Cake Boss, but it certainly made people look at me weird when I finally couldn't hold back my laughter in the library.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I was laughing like a retard in the supermarket today when Vinny dropped the n-bomb about how they run around the fire hydrant.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

What is the Cake Boss thing you all keep talking about? I feel like the specific source was mentioned earlier, but I can't find it.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

DangerDummy! posted:

What is the Cake Boss thing you all keep talking about? I feel like the specific source was mentioned earlier, but I can't find it.

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/cake-boss/

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/episode-56-paul-f-tompkins-david-higgins
6/4/10
Episode 56 - Paul F. Tompkins, David Higgins
While Scott always gets interesting guests on the show, CDR Radio gets its first television mega-star in the Cake Boss himself, Buddy Valastro.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

After hearing a few funny clips, i finally subscribed to The Best Show on WFMU podcast and listened to the latest episode... Man...did I pick the wrong time to get into this show.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mt. Modular posted:

After hearing a few funny clips, i finally subscribed to The Best Show on WFMU podcast and listened to the latest episode... Man...did I pick the wrong time to get into this show.

I downloaded all the episodes I could off itunes and found episodes with guests I might like but still... this show is just not good. I gave it a fair shake but it's like 3 hours of mediocre comedy, the host is terrible and most of the call in bits are terrible. Though I do admit sometimes there's a chuckle, in 3 hours only one or two is totally not worth it.

Ulkhaul
Sep 24, 2002

This is my broomstick!
The Amateur Scientist Podcast is pretty drat funny, and sometimes has something resembling science in it. Mostly a discussion of news and current events.
http://www.amateurscientist.org/

Just don't listen to the most recent episode (115 at the time of this post). It was just strange. I recommend Episode 101, which involves making out with Jesus, and features an chat with Bill Corbett of MST3K and RiffTrax.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Is there any way to get the first 50 WTF podcast episodes? All the ones from before 2010 don't appear on the site

ezell nym
Apr 23, 2007

its that woo-woo
Uhh Yeah Dude is the only podcast I listen to. The most recent episode (235) is a good one for a new listener, but there are so many good stories about old-school hollywood from Jonathan and present-day celebrity run ins by Seth in the older ones. 172 and 179 are the ones that got me hooked.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mt. Modular posted:

haha. indeed. If it makes you feel any better he's just trolling his listeners which he tends to do from time to time. There is no way he is actually quitting.

Paul F Tompkins at the end sort of saved the episode for me though.

Steve Slavery posted:

I downloaded all the episodes I could off itunes and found episodes with guests I might like but still... this show is just not good. I gave it a fair shake but it's like 3 hours of mediocre comedy, the host is terrible and most of the call in bits are terrible. Though I do admit sometimes there's a chuckle, in 3 hours only one or two is totally not worth it.

You could not be more wrong. Maybe the show just isn't for you.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 18, 2010

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

ezell nym posted:

Uhh Yeah Dude is the only podcast I listen to. The most recent episode (235) is a good one for a new listener, but there are so many good stories about old-school hollywood from Jonathan and present-day celebrity run ins by Seth in the older ones. 172 and 179 are the ones that got me hooked.

Wow. I was honestly coming to ask if someone could suggest a good episode to start with because I really didn't like the most recent episode.

I think I might be coming at this wrong: I'm a huge fan of WTF, but it seems to be less directly "comedy"-based than a lot of these shows. The rest feel like (slightly or substantially) better morning shows, which I'm not really a fan of in general.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

You could not be more wrong. Maybe the show just isn't for you.

Maybe but I really want to give it a chance since I hear lots of good things (though I hear lots of good things about pardcast and opie and anthony but I can't stand them). Is there a specific episode that would be good to listen to?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Steve Slavery posted:

Maybe but I really want to give it a chance since I hear lots of good things (though I hear lots of good things about pardcast and opie and anthony but I can't stand them). Is there a specific episode that would be good to listen to?

This one is probably one of the more popular episodes but it sort of old. I posted it in the juggalo thread because there is some really funny Juggalo talk at about 1:26:00 http://wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=32311&archive=54334

The thing about The Best show is that it's only really great once it has clicked. It's mostly inside jokes and the brand of humor is really unusual, so you really need to get in on the inside jokes before you will be able to appreciate the show to its full potential.

Id recommend listening to at least 2 or three episodes before making an official judgment although I realize that is a pretty big time commitment.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I've listened to all of Smodcast up to the recent Live Nude Smod shows. And I have an opinion.

Kevin is much funnier when he's not smoking up.

Godspell
Jan 8, 2005
Welding is fun!
Anyone who follows the Joe Rogan podcast should enjoy this.
http://www.youtube.com/user/thealexjoneschannel?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/29/cEIV7Bl1cJA

Joe and Eddie Bravo go on the Alex Jones show and are stoned out of their minds. I just cant get over how good a match a pair of potheads is with a conspiracy nut radio guy.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
The most recent episode of WTF is really the only time I've been able to stand Jesse Thorn for an extended period of time. Usually I find him too smug to listen to Jordan Jesse Go or SOYA other than when guests I'm interested in are on.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I recently listened to the Patrice Oneal episode of WTF, and holy poo poo what a fantastic conversation. I wasn't on board with all of Patrice's opinions, but when he was talking I was interested in every word he was saying.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I've been hearing lots of negative comments about Rob Huebel on the various podcasts lately. Is everyone just playin' or did he do something to piss everyone off?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Evil Agita posted:

I've been hearing lots of negative comments about Rob Huebel on the various podcasts lately. Is everyone just playin' or did he do something to piss everyone off?

They're jokey jokes

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I figured it was nothing, but am secretly hoping he and sarah silverman broke up on really bad terms and comedians are taking sides.

(even though shes already dated tons of comedians and no drama bombs yet)

Evil Agita fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 19, 2010

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

The_Rob posted:

I recently listened to the Patrice Oneal episode of WTF, and holy poo poo what a fantastic conversation. I wasn't on board with all of Patrice's opinions, but when he was talking I was interested in every word he was saying.

Yeah, that show was really engaging. I liked "Tough Crowd" a lot when it was on.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

neen posted:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The F Plus. I think I actually found the link for it somewhere on SA, during the doll fucker thread.
Its like Lou Reads the internet, but with more people and funny voices. They have talked about Yahoo Answers, Christian Poems, Teenage Angst, Otherkin, Real Dolls, etc..
seriously check it

Thanks for this. I've listened to a bunch of them, and they're pretty funny. A little disorganized, but that's kind of a part of their charm.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hey, why isn't the Mike O'Meara Show in the op?

The show is pretty much left overs after WJFK switched to a lovely all-sports format. The main staff comes from the Don and Mike show, which was awesome when it was on, and few from the other talk shows from that station. They're professional radio guys who are loving hilarious and do an awesome 1 hour show Monday through Friday. They even have a live Ustream when they are recording which is kind of cool to tune in to from time to time, but otherwise, why the hell would you want to watch radio guys do a show instead of just listening to it? :psyduck:

They have an iPhone/iPod app for listening/downloading to the show on those devices, and have Bonus Hours/Uncensored hours for sale that are hilarious. They are definitely worth a listen, and the only podcast I even consider listening to.

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 5, 2010

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
gently caress you, CDR.

"My real name is Raul Cheesecakefactory."

Edit: "Do you like all the fluffy goodness of cake with all the meaty beefness of steak? Try Scake!"

webster876 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 20, 2010

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

webster876 posted:

gently caress you, CDR.

Edit: "Do you like all the fluffy goodness of cake with all the meaty beefness of steak? Try Scake!"

"When you want to say that word, you have to say 'n-word.'"

"Hydrant? How does 'n-word' stand for hydrant?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

webster876 posted:

gently caress you, CDR.

This was the first time I was able to enjoy CDR. I usually give up 5 - 10 minutes in if the episode isn't doing it for me.

Do they have Chupacabra-like characters on there often? If so, I'll start giving it more of a shot.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Civil posted:

This was the first time I was able to enjoy CDR. I usually give up 5 - 10 minutes in if the episode isn't doing it for me.

If you do that, you will always miss Would You Rather, which is usually where the show goes from good to amazing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Do I get to jerk off in either scenario?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Godspell posted:

Anyone who follows the Joe Rogan podcast should enjoy this.
http://www.youtube.com/user/thealexjoneschannel?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/29/cEIV7Bl1cJA

Joe and Eddie Bravo go on the Alex Jones show and are stoned out of their minds. I just cant get over how good a match a pair of potheads is with a conspiracy nut radio guy.

gently caress. That's some freaky poo poo right there. Half the stuff they say I can sort of see being right but then there's some stuff that's just retarded. I don't know.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

jyrka posted:

gently caress. That's some freaky poo poo right there. Half the stuff they say I can sort of see being right but then there's some stuff that's just retarded. I don't know.
Joe is a little too willing to buy into conspiracies. Look for that youtube clip that they're talking about (armed forces helping to grow opium) and you'll see they're spinning it to make it more sinister than it is. Add in that he's stoned out of his gourd and eyes are half shut, and he's not doing much to convince anyone that he should be taken seriously.

Borrego
May 17, 2010

I need pictures!
Pictures of Greaser-Man!
Rogan is great but he'd definitely a hype machine when it comes to conspiracies and other odd theories that he comes across.

Anyone listen to the latest TESD? I was curious to what they bleeped out but I'm going to assume it was Walt plugging another listener.

Thanks to you goons I've been listening to back episodes of UYD. Are there any episodes that would be considered a fan favorite or best. Ala "making hay" from TESD or Maron's interview with Mencia on WTF.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Joe Rogan is the stoniest stoner that ever stoned, and as far as his podcast goes, that's both a blessing and a curse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Holy poo poo. I just found a Merill Shindler video. James Adomians Impression is absolutely spot on.
Oh wow, I did the same, I thought it was hilarious even before I knew he was a real guy. Ever since I've listened to that I can't eat something without giving it a Merrill Shindler breakdown in my head. For instance there's these wonderful little mustard shrimp cutlets I just had for supper, they're a sort of buttery, mustardy, shrimpy flavor...

• Locked thread