Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

HelterSkeletor posted:

Everyone should check out the Marc Maron's WTF Podcast - The Carlos Mencia Episodes. It's as close as Mencia has come to admitting he's a joke thief. The first shocking thing we learn is that he literally bought a joke book on the way to his first gig. It's an intelligent, slow, interesting reveal that shakes Carlos up pretty badly. Makes for great listening.

Echoing this. I'm a standup nerd, had never heard of these before, and I'm just about to finish the second Mencia episode - amazing listen. Someone recommended following these up with the Joe Rogan podcast featuring Dane Cook, and I'm about to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Amazing recommendations throughout the thread.

Echoing the love for The Nerdist, Sklarbro Country, WTF with Marc Maron, and Doug Loves Movies. I listen to these as quickly as they come in, and find myself rapidly burning through the back catalogues.

Trying to get into Bill Burr, Comedy Death Ray (the characters are ..jarring), Joe Rogan (some good stuff, but SO MUCH UFC), Pod F. Tompkast (this will be fine when it gets to a regular schedule), Never Not Funny, and Lou Reads The Internet! (the rap forum episode was great)

Needs more love from here: Comedy And Everything Else (great guests, likeable hosts), RISK! (very wife-friendly, and good for shortish drives).

The "very special episodes"/comedian gossip episodes you guys have picked out have been great. WTF re: Carlos Mencia was dynamite (Dane Cook too), as was the related Joe Rogan episode. In a similar vein, the Kyle Cease comedy school episodes of Comedy And Everything Else (did you guys read that Stanhope blog post?) are highly recommended by me. Any other picks for that kind of good stuff?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

He's from my hometown of Ottawa, and helped with our local MD telethon segments when I volunteered there. Did a lot of comedy sets at our local Yuk-Yuks, is funny and a nice guy, and does great Wookiee impersonations.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Flamazot posted:

So am I just a terrible person with no taste or are the amount of comedy songs in Comedy Death Ray really annoying? I've never really been a fan of those. I really like everything else about the podcast though.

I feel this way about Risk!, too.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Speaking of Rogan, I don't listen every week but the Doug Stanhope episode was awesome.

At first it sounded like he was considering doing WTF ("I got an e-mail from Marc Maron but I'm not sure if I should answer because I don't want to argue") but they got a lot more negative on the subject from there.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

WTF now has an iPhone app. It's not anything special functionality-wise, but if you're not using something like Podcaster, might be a good way to keep up. Also has a premium upgrade option.

This is more of a heads up for Maron fans than an advertising spiel, so I'll leave it there.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

On that note -- Marc released a podcast over the weekend. It's NOT a WTF, and in fact is pretty heavy (he's discussing the deaths of Robert Schimmel and Greg Giraldo), but it gives a good sense of the aspects of his personality that makes the show appealing. Well, appealing to me, at least.

Agreed on all counts. The first part of Louis CK is up, too, but I'd suggest people start by giving the tribute half-hour a listen.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

soru posted:

My favorite is episode 67 with Robb Corddry, Lake Bell, and the Cake Boss (Paul F Tompkins). The Would You Rather at the end of that one is amazing.

Paul Scheer and Nick Kroll is what I use to convince non-listeners, and this was the second one I'd list. Still, would love to delve deeper into CDR, so I echo big business sloth's request. King Lou seems like he might be on this. :)

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

UltraRed posted:

What did they try to bribe him to do?

Let him appear on WTF.

There's a pretty convincing example of a Nainan mass e-mail on the AST forums, which closely matches the tone, language, and d-baggery of the e-mail Marc was reading.

http://aspecialthing.com/forum/f27/wtf-marc-maron-podcast-14671/index56.html#post183166

quote:

Date: June 10, 2010 7:30:04 PM EDT
To: [edited this out]
Subject: $8000 for a Show in Dubai! May I Gloat Just a Little Bit? Thank you.

Dear Friends,

I just received the initial deposit for a corporate show in Dubai that's coming up in a couple of weeks. The show pays $8000, yes, that's right, EIGHT THOUSAND US DOLLARS for less than one hour's work! And yes, I'll be flying in First Class as usual, in unbelievable luxury, with a flat bed! I'll be checking out the indoor ski range, surfing on the sand dunes, visiting the tallest building in the world and the world’s largest shopping mall, and luxuriating by the pool at my five star hotel. And yes, I will send pictures!

I know I shouldn't be gloating, and I know I should be spending my time working on my book in preparation for my upcoming meeting with my literary agent, and I know it really pisses off poor-rear end alcoholic drug addicted comedians when you tell them how much money you make, but when something like this happens, such as the $15,000 corporate show I did earlier this year in San Francisco, or dealing with the deluge of royalty checks from my Apple commercial ($22,000 so far and SAG health insurance, thank you), I just can't help but think about all the people who told me (and still tell me) that I'm a hack, and that I shouldn't be doing ethnic material, I'm a sellout, and so forth.

And you know the best part? They found me on YouTube! Yes, on YouTube, where one of my videos is approaching 800,000 views! Funny, a lot of the comedians who were on Premium Blend or Live at Gotham post their clips, and guess what... they get fewer views in a year than I get in a day! Why is that, do you think? Maybe it's because the pablum that the industry forces down the throats of their viewers JUST. ISN'T. FUNNY! That's the beauty of the Internet -- disintermediation -- for you mental midgets that means that the middlemen such as managers and agents are becoming less and less important, because anybody can post anything on the Internet, and if it's funny or entertaining, then by golly people will send it to each other!

I can't help but think about all the club bookers in New York that turned me down and continue to turn me down, about all the comedians who brag about their "credits" on Premium Blend, Live at Gotham, Jimmy Kimmel and Comics Unleashed who still have day jobs and drive hundreds of miles to their crappy occasional gigs that pay three digits and that get drunk and smoke weed after the shows and stay up till the early morning.

I can't help but think about the witty, clever New York comics who are passed at all the clubs, whom you can't even recognize if you haven't seen them in a year or two because they have aged so much…oh, the joy and the schadenfreude.

I can't help but think about the comic who made fun of my physical appearance from the stage when I didn't even know him -- yes, making fun of another comic - I thought that was verboten, whom I saw working in a crappy restaurant the other day and exhibiting a serious case of avoirdupois.

I can't help but think about a highly embonpoint female comic A who went into an apoplectic hysterical conniption fit because I dared to admonish her for talking loudly with her female comic friend B while I was on stage, and then being cautioned the next day by another female comic C who said that I should be “very careful” because “word travels fast”, and female comic A “has a lot of credits” and is “very connected in the industry”.

Yes indeed, I'll be reminiscing about all of this on the long plane ride to the Emirates... with a poo poo-eating grin on my face.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

..while investigating the case of the smugglers down at Peterson's Cove.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Yeah, I like Maron and WTF/CDR/NNF/PFT are my holy quad of podcasting but he seemed really dismissive of Human Giant in a way that seemed uncalled for by Paul's pretty open and friendly demeanour. He revisited it with a semi-apology for his comment about how that "wasn't his bag" (paraphrasing), but it was definitely a moment that stuck out.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

jyrka posted:

No, I'm not a fan of anything, that'd be ridiculous. WTF just seems to be a really popular podcast that a lot of people are into so I figured I might be "missing" something if that makes sense. Is what I described generally that guy's shtick?

The first few minutes aren't the best part - you need to listen to some of the interviews he gives to see if this is your thing at all. Try Carlos Mencia (and the one immediately after it), Dane Cook, Ira Glass, and Judd Apatow. I'm sure more suggestions will follow.

Once I _got_ Marc via the interviews, the whole thing falls into place around those interviews.

edit: VVV Louis CK owned too, put those ahead of Apatow.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 19, 2010

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Reupped for sure. It was kind of sad working through the backlog up to the middle of season 6, especially forwards from the episode where Andrew asked to give up his mic.

Still, NNF is my go-to podcast - very consistent, with considerable upside for particular guests.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Speaking of NNF, looks like the Onion AV Club just did a pre-Pardcastathon interview with Jimmy Pardo.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/jimmy-pardo,48274/

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

dividebyzero posted:

All that said, what are some other stand-out hits in the vein of the Halloween episode I should try?

Nick Kroll + Paul Scheer
Rob Corddry + Lake Bell + PFT

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

More Paul Scheer is great news!

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Do you have a partner who wears green overalls?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Mike DeStefano on WTF is a powerful listen.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

His demeanour makes all the jokes, even the bad ones.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Rudy Riot posted:

Holy poo poo, listened to the latest WTF at work today and got teary-eyed a couple of times. That was a really great interview with Mike Destefano. Really makes you put poo poo into perspective! Now I'm going to track down their appearances on The Moth.

I had trouble finding that The Moth episode as a whole, but found the telling of "Franny's Last Ride". There's another story called "the Junkie and the Monk" to be found through googling, but I don't have the URL handy.

http://huffduffer.com/norelpref/2757

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I found that page, but couldn't find a "Play" or download button, not sure if this is some Adblock foolishness on my part.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Watched the second episode where Mary-Lynn Rajskub turns the tables on him, and he goes up to the mic to broach the untilled soil of how the Indian lady at the 7-11 doesn't have a complete grasp of English and his clever rejoinder to her. I was reminded of nothing so much as the premiere of "Outsourced", although maybe he was doing a sarcastic hacky non-joke and I missed it.

Yeah, really missing Cyberthug - hopefully it was a one week delay that just got dragged into the holidays.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

Yeah I had That Darn Cat! at the exclamation point clue. Literally can't think of another movie with an exclamation point in the title.

Surely, you jest! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080339/

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

Has anyone heard the Mencia on Maron podcasts? I need to know it's worth the 3 bucks to buy them.

No doubt about it. If you can get one of the phone apps, upgrade to premium for whatever time frame and binge through the backlog episodes (Dane Cook, Robin Williams) all the better.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I like his stand up, but he was doing the same thing with the Sklars until I tuned out.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Seeing the new CDR pop up with the guests is the highlight of my podcasting week, and I groaned internally when I saw this week's lineup. Listening to the entire run, I've turned around on some people I didn't otherwise like just because the overall episode worked or some other guest was able to hold it together, but TH/NH didn't give me enough to go on.

Still, CDR is my favourite, and I say this as someone who didn't initially enjoy guests with funny voices but eventually did a complete 180.

Just wanted to echo the love for King Lou while I'm postin'. You're my favourite of the goon podcasts, and co-workers popping by while you're reading something vile is my favourite accidental running joke of your show. Did you get some good hate mail from the latest Tea Party show, or is it below their radar?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Was just listening to CDR 29 where Todd Glass talks about his love for Neil Hamburger and suggests a CDR night where everyone does their best Neil Hamburger.

Scott: "Yeah, because that wouldn't be annoying."

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

The_Rob posted:

If earwolf does donation stuff I will totally donate, but man if I have to start paying to listen to CBB I will be really sad. It is my favorite podcast by a long shot.Listening to it has gotten me through so many boring rear end days, and long drives.

Their Earwolf survey from a few weeks back had a few questions about the WTF business model (paying for the back catalogue) - if you (not *you*, but a generic reader of this post) are a tightwad, it may be worth downloading the whole shebang now.

I'll donate for sure, although I prefer to choose how.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

King Lou posted:

I am a long time hater of Tig but I gave it a shot. Just the intro explaining what the show was about made me angry. Such low energy. And when I got to the part about her teaching herself how to play guitar "I was the teacher and the pupil. That blew my mind." I was done. Phew! I thought she was going to prove me wrong.

I stopped at the part about using one's arm to help one's other arm do something and it's like your body helping itself like whoa dude.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I see Nick Offerman will be on tomorrow's Professor Blastoff - would love to see him do CDR, so hopefully that's a first step. Has he done anything else on the podcast circuit?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Clovis Sangrail posted:

He has been on some radio shows, but I don't know about the "proper" podcast circuit, although I was pretty sure I heard him somewhere (the Adam Carolla Show?), but I can't remember where.

EDIT: 'twas the Adam Carolla Show: http://www.adamcarolla.com/ACPBlog/2010/04/28/adam-and-nick-offerman/

I'll give that a listen - thanks a lot for the link! I don't know a lot about Offerman except that he absolutely slays me on Parks & Rec, and that the one glimpse into his personal life when the link of his real-life woodworking shop was making the rounds made me think he was an awesome dude all-around. (Pro-click alert: http://www.offermanwoodshop.com/)

edit: Bonus Offerman read http://www.menshealth.com/best-life/handy-work

Agreed that I wish he was on a different show than Professor Blastoff, but will listen to it in the hope that he can cover up some of the shortcomings from the first episode.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 9, 2011

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Looks like Nerdist is looking to grow into a podcast network, ala Earwolf. They're even starting a Professor Blastoff style show with a similar "backstory".

Maybe PB-style is the wrong thing to say, they'll take listener questions about science instead of discussing a given topic.

http://www.nerdist.com/2011/05/the-questionauts-have-landed/#comments

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

King Lou posted:

Pretty sure my podcast wouldn't last long but its interesting.

Huh, looks like the cut off may have been April....

I remember hearing about it way back when - I guess you missed the submit date? Too bad, you do good work.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So I have some money and I want to buy a season of Never Not Funny but I noticed the guests don't start showing up till Season 2. Would I be missing much if I went straight to season 2?

I went through season 1 last, but ended up enjoying it a fair deal thanks to third baseman Mike Schmidt. If you like NNF, you'll probably want to go through it eventually but can safely leave it for last if that suits you.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

http://aspecialthing.com/forum/f27/ also hosts a lot of podcast discussion.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

That Dan Nainan guy who was trolling Marc Maron ("I'll pay you to put me on your podcast") and who was trolling/being trolled by some dude in this thread is now trolling on twitter at @CleanComedianUS.

Russell Peters strongly implied that the dude had set up a fake website appearing to be his on a recent Joe Rogan podcast appearance (didn't name him, but it really did sound like something he would do).

I don't really care for/about him except as an observer of drama, sorry if this is totally off-topic but there is podcast relevance here.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Yannick_B posted:

I'm convinced its not Dan Nainan, its just too funny and mocking him.

Now that you mention it, you're probably right. Does a great job of sounding like him, though!

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Yannick_B posted:

Paul F Tompkins is currently doing shows all week here in Montreal for Just For Laughs. Its a show about the different jobs he had during his life and his ongoing quest to not getting yelled at. I've seen it last night and it was so good--laughed all the way through, anyone should check it out if they're in the area, or area-adjacent!

There's a lot of podcast notables there this week, very excited to see some shows. Tosh, Hardwick, the Tribute To Nerds, Ari Shaffir, Paul F. Tompkins, the alternative comedy show, and Marc Maron are all on my itinerary - sad to miss Bamford, Louis CK, Eugene Mirman, Weird Al, Garfunkel and Oates, and Reggie Watts.

Wish CDR and NNF would make a trip up north, and not just Vancouver but the Montreal/Toronto corridor.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

ElCondemn posted:

Your sad to miss list would be my itinerary, just swap Reggie for PFT.

Tell me about it - I'm overseas until Thursday night, by which time a bunch of those will have finished their runs. Also, shows were announced in multiple waves (Just For Laughs versus ZooFest), so even for the shows I could have made, I bought tickets to other shows before realizing those other performers would be there.

Lessons learned for next year's ticket buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Ari Shaffir did a storyteller show at a Montreal peeler bar tonight, and Harris Wittels did an x-rated Foam Corner. That dude owns.

• Locked thread