Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Killfast37 posted:

My friends and I started doing a comedy podcast called Serious Business with Successful People for fun about a month ago. We finally got some decent equipment. We each take turns discussing things we found on the internet, news stories, or personal experiences. Each episode is broken down into acts. It is pretty much just an hour to two hours of bullshitting about goony poo poo. We usually poo poo on a bad movie too. We are pretty new and probably not all that funny, any criticism/advice would be helpful too. Here, also I'm pretty terrible when it comes to web design.

I'll critique yours if you critique mine: https://www.digitalporridge.net

Mine is a friend and me talking about ourselves for about half an hour, I'm American & he's British. We've only done 7 episodes so far and I think we're going to start exploring the 'Atlantic divide' (more than we have so far) starting with this week's show.

My first reaction is that 1-2 hours is pretty long for a podcast unless you're established or pretty famous for a podcaster. I'll PM you what I think after I listen, if you want.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

King Lou posted:

Did you download it all the way or are you playing it live on the site? That appears to be some kind of itunes thing when the episode doesn't download right. Other people are playing it right now without issue. I just downloaded it myself via iTunes and will listen to make sure it plays. if its not playing all the way I'd say its not fully downloaded. The file is about 18mb if its buffering in live it might stall and start over. If it is in iTunes then I would delete the file and re-download. I wonder if its just a heavy load :smug: thing. Like too many simultaneous DLs or something...

Thanks for letting me know, though.

EDIT: 8 mins in and no restart on iTunes.

This same skipping back thing happened to an episode I listened to from a while back, where you read a SA thread about crazy roommates. I don't use iTunes, I subscribe through Google Listen and use the Listen app on my Android phone, so I think it came from the RSS feed. Just letting you know.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I don't know how Kevin Smith is going to write or direct another movie with all the podcasts and radio appearances he does (I listen to the Kevin & Bean podcast from KROQ in Southern California).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Somehow got through that last Lou Reads the Internet - thank gently caress it's not a video podcast. No skipping backwards for me on that one, which was another positive. I loved the forum names in that one, like 'boycunt' and 'submissive human being'.

On Adam Carolla: I used to really try to catch his episodes every single day, but ever since they started with the stupid sound effects and I started getting tired of his repeated rants, I only listen to the shows with certain guests. Kieth and the Girl is kind of the same every day but it's not always about Keith at least. I've started listening to a couple of the other Smodcast group shows instead of the original Smodcast because that's gotten very same-y as well, which was why I stopped listening to it a long long time ago.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I listen to a LOT of podcasts that all seem to talk about the same weird news stories every week, and with all the suggestions I've gotten from this thread and the listings for the podcast awards I think Uhh Yeah Dude will be taking the place of at least one or two of my podcasts...I think Jordan, Jessie, Go! will be one of the casualties coming up soon. They're usually funny but not as consistently funny as UYD.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
*sigh* is there a goon place I can ask about tech issues? Basically, why iTunes sucks and won't refresh my feedburner feed? I can't get iTunes to show my feed at all, while Google Reader shows it just fine (but Google Listen - Android app does not, which is even more weird).

I really want to share my podcast with the thread but want to have working in iTunes properly.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thanks, I've done that, in the iTunes acceptance email they included that same URL to instant-ping iTunes so it will refresh, but still no joy. Feedburner puts in all the tags that iTunes requires, and I was able to change the description of the feed, which that showed up just fine in iTunes, but without any episode listing. I spent a lot of time updating blog posts to remove apostrophes in the posts so the HTML/XML shows up okay on feedvalidator.org and it's been several hours since I did that but iTunes still shows no episodes.

Feedburner is supposed to be the be all end all of RSS aggregators but I'll have to think about looking for another one if this doesn't ever work.

e: the feed is http://digitalporridge.wordpress.com/feed/ if anyone wants to take a look and see what's up

Sorry to deviate from the usual banter...my favorite podcasts are The Bugle, Uhh Yeah Dude and Kieth and the Girl :) I guess no one talks about KatG partly because they have their own forums?

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 14, 2010

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I think I figured out the technical issue with my podcast - I upload the edited mp3 files to my podcast partner's me.com account, then he sends me a link, which I put in the blog posts. Apparently sometimes they are .mp3 links and other times they are just linking to a shortened URL like 'me.com/vquma' and iTunes doesn't like that, so nothing was showing up. So now I'm trying to get the actual mp3 links from the me.com server. This would have been avoided if we went with a real ftp server but hindsight, 20/20, etc.

King Lou posted:

I just got this comment posted on my Lou Reads blog:

Not really sure how to take that. I'm glad he doesn't fee bad about. I mean, I'm sure when he posts other torrents he is probably really torn by guilt. I guess its true I don't make any money off the podcast but at the same time its weird... I guess more people listening the better. I really like it if people read the blog, too because I try to write extra stupid but relavent junk on there.

That is weird, but if you're mentioning the blog/site in the episode then hopefully that'll encourage people to visit there.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I've been meaning to check out The Nerdist, it sounds interesting for sure.

And it looks like the problems with my iTunes feed are fixed, we transferred the MP3 files to a real FTP server and I updated links on the blog so Feedburner caught them. Now I just need to figure out how to make all the episodes show in the feed, instead of the latest 5.

Anyway, sharing time: iTunes link and RSS link, the main site is https://www.digitalporridge.net

The podcast is 30-35 minutes, roughly every week, it's about me (an American) and a friend (who's British) comparing cultures as well as stories, updates and things like that. We don't really do things like 'weird news' since there's so many other sites that cover that ground. I'm really happy with episode 8 particularly, I hope we can keep up the vibe, I think we're just hitting our stride.

I'd appreciate any posts, subscribers, feedback, etc.!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
fffffffuuuuuuuuuuu...

I just checked the episodes that are showing, I was able to play them all in iTunes, so maybe it's just taking a while to propogate? A friend in Texas had the same issue a couple hours ago but the iTunes link for the show is a itunes.apple.com/gb link...I'm not sure if that matters! but there are separate stores in the US and UK I think

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

NecronSchmecron posted:

Yeah, I think they are a bit different. Be that as it may, I tried the usual deleting/unsubscribing/resubscribing thing and it didn't work. Not sure what else to do.

Weird... I've asked a friend in the US to see what he can see in iTunes. You can subscribe in iTunes if you go to Advanced > Subscribe to Podcast and enter the RSS url.

e: my buddy in Texas has gotten back to me, apparently because the location of the audio files was changed, iTunes freaks out (typical) but what I describe above works to download the files. I guess a bit more testing is required to see if all the iTunes links will work, but better to get it changed now rather than further down the road.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 15, 2010

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I think I've got all the kinks worked out with my iTunes feed, but need some more testers in the US...this isn't a cheap plea for subscribers since iTunes doesn't tell me how many people subscribe, but if I can have a couple of Americans subscribe to us in iTunes and let me know if you can download the episodes or not, I'd really appreciate it! The iTunes link is here: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/digital-porridge/id407218366

So far I have someone in Texas that can download everything, and someone in the northeast that can't.

I'd appreciate any feedback from people that don't know me as well, so if you want to PM or email me any thoughts, all the contact info is on the site at https://www.digitalporridge.net details for subscribing in various ways are there too.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
dammit...same is happening to a friend in Alabama. I just don't get iTunes :/

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ah. Well. Now I'm just confused. iTunes is crazy about some things.

Would you mind PMing me with any feedback?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm in the UK, I've seen a couple of major headliners in the UK (Dara O'Briain and Frankie Boyle) this year, plus more last year and I've never heard of this guy. What a douche.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Matt Cruea posted:

Way back on page 3 I promoted my own podcasts, but since the original podcasts seem to get lost in the CDR shuffle, I almost think those of us doing amateur stuff should go in a different thread.

Yeah unfortunately there's a lot of pro podcasters out there and the rest of us kind of get lost in the shuffle :) I'm waiting until my podcast's next episode is out to post about mine again - I don't want to wear out my welcome because of my iTunes woes (which are all fixed now, apparently, it was a propogation issue).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Christmas episode (episode 10, woooo round number) of the podcast I do, Digital Porridge, is now up. I'm told by folks across the US that it downloads OK in iTunes now, so I'd appreciate any and all feedback, ratings, etc.! iTunes and RSS linkies

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Sock The Great posted:

Yeah I knew it was going to be a disaster when Doug said they record for over 90 minutes and edit down to 22 minutes.

Not a good sign.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Gotta pimp this out again because we were having FTP issues for a long time:
https://www.digitalporridge.net
RSS
iTunes

The first time I posted it we had a bunch of trouble with GoDaddy FTP and it wasn't possible to download many of the episodes.

I'd also like to hear any feedback if you listen, I'll be happy to listen to any new podcasts as well, I subscribe to a couple of podcasts from goons here.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

NecronSchmecron posted:

Hey, bud. I've been listening all week. It's pretty good. I'm interested in the interaction between you and your friend which is definitely keeping me interested. I've done the embarrassing laugh in pubic while listening which is a good sign in my book.

I am, however still having trouble downloading it. The same error from before pops up in iTunes and I haven't been able to listen to the christmas episode. I'll check back when I get home to see if the error was fixed.

Whoa, that's awesome! We're making people laugh :) and embarassingly in public! Fantastic!

(boring side of doing a podcast follows) I've been testing the FTP over the past couple of weeks, I kept timing out of downloads, and we had to contact GoDaddy a couple of times to have them sort their poo poo out. I checked it earlier today, downloading all the episodes and then uploading a ZIP archive of the first 10 shows, and it all worked fast, so you should be able to download everything when you get home. I even checked it on iTunes on my work computer and a co-worker's computer and the latest shows downloaded OK.

Long story short, technical issues have been fixed :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Yeticopter posted:

Speaking of Marc Maron, what's the consensus on his podcast, WTF? I'm trying to expand on my podcasting horizons but I don't know where to go first. UYD doesn't really do it for me anymore, so I'm thinking of trying Never Not Funny or Comedy Film Nerds.

I like WTF, it's a different style of comedy and doesn't do the 'this week in weird news' thing too much. If you like Adam Carolla's interview bits but don't like his repeated rants, WTF is right up your street I think.

I'm dropping Jordan Jesse Go for Uhh Yeah Dude (previously was listening to them both) because I can only have so much weekly comedy news to listen to, or commenting on celebrity lifestyles, etc., and there are other shows that I listen to that are not specifically comedy-related.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I couldn't download the WTF shows from those links, and most of the links on the Wiki page were bad (the external links). I want to find a lot of those older shows too :(

Also, just uploaded episode 11 of the Digital Porridge podcast...first show of the year, and a bit of American-British trash talk in this one, especially with the Ashes going on right now. http://www.digitalporridge.net direct download here, or subscribe at RSS feed and
iTunes link

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

NecronSchmecron posted:

krushgroove. It's working on my end now. At first it was still doing the error thing, but I realized, "hmm, I wonder if restarting iTunes would work". Boom, totally did. Welcome to my routine podcast list.

Edit: From where I'm from a wet biscuit is called ookie cookie. You were on the nose about the frat thing though. Also it makes me want to vomit every time at thought of people actually doing this.

That's fantastic, thanks for letting me know (and subscribing!).

I think the phrase I was looking for while hearing the wet biscuit story was 'circle jerk' (standing in a circle, etc.) but I wasn't positive about that. I couldn't help but think about King Lou's ultra-gay forum read while hearing that, too.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

King Lou posted:

Hey guys. I just posted a new episode of Lou Reads. Its SUPER NSFW so headphones on please!

:nms:http://loureads.com/2011/01/06/lou-reads-shoe-sessions-forum-a-place-to-cum-in-shoes-nsfw/:nws:

Enjoy!

eeuurrggh...this one was pretty bad but not as disturbing as the Bareback Forums one. I tried going through your blog to find the Breeding Zone show but found at least a dozen other shows that sounded pretty disturbing/gross, so I think that will hold me off. It's probably a bad thing to listen to these at work as it's destroying my faith in humanity! But it's entertainment :)

red19fire posted:

Isn't podcasting coming to a tipping point? I think it's proving to be a radio killer, because there's more content and less interruptions. Carolla does direct sponsorship, Pardo has the premium subscription style, and Marc operates on donations; Has any business model come out as the 'best' way?

Like Lou says the TWIT method of talking about the new Ford whatever for 5-8 minutes is pretty annoying - if it were at least spread out in the conversation or if it bookended the show that would be much better. I really hate the way the Smodcast shows have literally 8 minutes of ads and promotions, I know it might seem 'better' to get them out in the beginning instead of at the end when people can just skip to the next show, but IMO they'd do much better to just intersperse the show with promos, even if a live show with an audience cuts to a studio-recorded promo.

I think podcasting is still quite young when it comes to making money. Very few people I know personally listen to them (and less listen to audiobooks to take advantage of Audible). It's just not as easy (for the non-geek) as turning on a car radio or switching on the TV. Isn't satellite radio still having trouble making money for people other than Stern? My dream for the show I do is to get some sort of sponsorship or donation thing going, but that's well down the road I think.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Oh man, I must have had an old RSS link for Rogan's show, I downloaded probably 20 of them a while back and just started listening to them but the most recent episode was in August...man I have a lot of podcast listening to do. Sometimes I wish I had a long train commute each day...

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Geekslinger posted:

I still pick and choose my episodes depending on the guest but I've had quite a few laugh out loud moments over the last few episodes.

This is exactly what I do, and it's helped me like Adam a bit more lately. Just like with real people there are some shows I don't need to listen/watch every single day, and I can get my fill with a couple shows a week. The only thing about that is I'm not up to date on the latest things like the changing of the news lady type of news.

I've been liking most of the old Joe Rogan podcasts I've been listening to also, I'm trying to listen to all of them even if they are out of date because I generally like him on the UFC shows, etc.

edit: By the way, for anyone else who has a show, someone started a thread in CC: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3375988

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 12, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Got the latest episode of Digital Porridge up, a special sleepover episode with a wee bit of alcohol!

RSS feed and iTunes link

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Finally listened to an episode of Comedy Death Ray, the latest episode - it made me smile and laugh quite a bit, so it's a keeper!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ALFbrot posted:

Is that medallion something from the last 5-10 minutes of the podcast? I don't remember hearing about it, and it did the restart thing again before it was over :(. I've been downloading back episodes and it hasn't happened in a while until that one.

This happened to me quite a lot, I think it has to do with downloading a bunch of files at the same time. Lou's web host sucks, basically, so try downloading the file again if you can.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm just about to give up on Carolla's show entirely...at the moment I only download the shows with guests I think might be interesting, the most recent one of which was Lemmy from Motorhead. Lemmy was only there for the last 1/3rd of the show, they were playing sound effects all over everything and it was the same old poo poo that everyone else complains about. I'd send in an email saying the sound effects really cheapen the whole feel of the show but I have a feeling that's all Brian does during the show.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

bananasinpajamas posted:

Also, I'm going to update the OP with all the goon-run podcasts, so if you have one, link to it and give a short description.

Cool! I do a show called Digital Porridge, the basis of which is that I'm American (living in England), my friend is British, and we go back and forth about various aspects of either culture as well as catch up on what we've done lately.

The show is weekly and 30-35 minutes per episode.

The blog with show notes is at http://www.digitalporridge.net, with direct download links and you can listen to the latest shows from the web page. You can subscribe at RSS feed and iTunes link

I'd appreciate any feedback from any goons, either by PM, posting on the blog, iTunes reviews, whatever.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
For any goons who do a podcast, I just registered http://www.gooncasts.com! (link doesn't work at the moment, but it is registered)

Hopefully someone can help me get a PHP database-type thing going, but initially the site will be a straight-up listing of goon podcasts with logos, links (blog/site/RSS/iTunes), descriptions and other simple HTML things, until I can figure out how to put in Twitter and RSS feeds and stuff like that. For now, fill in this Google Spreadsheet with your show's info and I'll put it on the site in the next week or so.

If GoDaddy continues to screw up linking their UK and US servers I'll move the Digital Porridge files and links to point to this new hosting.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

bananasinpajamas posted:

Great idea. I can see a wiki kinda thing working out well.

Yeah this might be a better thing, I've never set up a wikia type site but I'm sure there are templates available. It would be easier to have people organize and update their own info as well.

King Lou posted:

Thanks. I added my infoshizzle.

Let me know when the site is up and we can trade hardlinks for the googles. That goes for anyone else who podcasts on here. If you're running your own hosted site we should trade links and whatnot. To not poo poo up this thread with link trades please PM or email me at loureads @ the googles

Also if anyone ever needs a guess skyperer for their shows or whatever I'm happy to oblige.

Hardlinks and such are one of the reasons for setting up this sort of thing, plus promos and guest spots (great idea!). I'll post here and in the Who Else Podcasts thread when the first version of the site is up, and hopefully get a wiki/something 2.0 site up soon after.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Gooncasts.com update for goons that are podcasters
Setting up a hosted wiki is more complicated than I thought, so I found a free Wiki site called editthis.info and started a wiki for Gooncasts: http://gooncasts.wikidot.com/ which I can forward the domain to easily.

I've added the names of the podcasts that have been entered in the Gooncasts spreadsheet, but no other info so far. There's also a lot of podcasts mentioned ITT that aren't on the spreadsheet!

So the question is: Do any gooncasters have a problem with gooncasts.com forwarding to http://gooncasts.wikidot.com/ rather than being a bespoke website?

I just don't have the time and knowledge to build up something that looks slick (or even good). If someone has filled in info on the spreadsheet but doesn't add anything to the wiki, I'll fill out a basic page for the podcast but leave it at that.

Then down the road we can take donations for a banner ad. Hopefully everyone that goes on the wiki will donate! SA banner ads are $30/month

e: changed the URL for the wiki site to a better wiki provider

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 15, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Any goons who have shows, or appear in shows, we have a wiki!

http://gooncasts.wikidot.com/

I'll add wiki pages for all the shows that have completed the Gooncast spreadsheet so far - any other shows will need to be added by the goons that run/appear on the show. To add a page or edit your info you'll need to sign up to Wikidot (it's free, natch, and takes a minute, then clicking a confirmation email link) and then go to the Join page of the wiki - new members have to be goons, this is just to prevent random trashing of the pages.

This is what your show's page might look like with a logo and episode links: http://gooncasts.wikidot.com/digital-porridge

Go for it!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
If you play tabletop RPGs the D&D podcasts with them were funny.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The latest episode of Digital Porridge is out: number 17! It is one of our best yet, I think. I think some of the recent ones have been a bit low but that could just be my thinking after editing them all.

Check it out at https://www.digitalporridge.com (iTunes link and RSS link)
reviews always welcome!

WedgeEC posted:

I've been doing a podcast for 4 years. Now it's 5 days a week of radio. Sadly, it's my passion. WedgeRadio.net

I'd love to hear what people think, I know I could improve.

Join us on the goon podcast thread! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3375988 We're building a world-conquering gooncasting empire at the moment. All gooncasters welcome!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Battering Ham posted:

Haters for Hire (yes that's a rocket power chainsaw as my logo)
Website

iTunes

Haters for Hire is a weekly podcast produced and hosted by myself. Each week features a new guest and co-host. A majority of the time the guests are comics from the Pittsburgh area though many hail from all over country. This is a good podcast to listen to if you like drugs, fat people or swearing.

Checking out one of your latest shows now.

Join us other goons that podcast in the Who Else Podcasts thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3375988

We've also started a Gooncasts wiki page to put all the Goon podcasts in one place and do some cross-promotion stuff with each other, add your show in there (all other goons are welcome too). You have to sign in and get approved (I'm the site admin), which isn't ideal but I check the sign-ups every couple of days to see if anyone is waiting to make their page. This is just to prevent any griefing or someone screwing with the site.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
This has been a big week for Digital Porridge: new domain, new blog (well, new theme), in-browser media player on every post, and what I think is an instant 'best of' podcast with #18.

Check it: http://www.digitalporridge.com/
RSS feed
iTunes
(iTunes has been really slow the past few days, according to the support forums, but the web site has an in-browser media player which is really handy!)

Every episode has 'show notes' with links, pictures and videos of most of the stuff we talk about, and we try to encourage listener reviews, blog posts, feedback, emails and all that good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The latest episode of Digital Porridge is up - number nineteen! We tackle charges of podcasting while on drugs, theorize on watching 'conception porn' - basically going back in time to see the moments surrounding your conception, a bit more about cats and a bit more on top of that.

Check it out: http://www.digitalporridge.com/
RSS feed
iTunes
(just uploaded it, so it may take a day or so for iTunes to show it)

Every episode has 'show notes' on the site with links, pictures and videos relating to the stuff we talk about, and we encourage listener blog posts, reviews, emails and all that good feedback stuff. We'd love to hear from other goons.

• Locked thread