Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

While this isn't a podcast per se, The Best Show On WFMU (http://friendsoftom.com) puts its episodes up on itunes. They all rule, but I'd pick one with John Hodgeman or Paul F. Tompkins to start.

The Best Show is one of the most amazing shows out there. I drove from LA to Tahoe and back a couple of weekends ago, and listened to about 12 hours of that poo poo. DO IT! It's kind of a hard show to get into at first, but eventually it clicks and is so worth. I would definteily suggest starting back around the beginning of the year if you're new to it. Tom and PFT talking about the Gathering of The Juggalos is some of the most hilarious poo poo.

The new site for CDR is nice - http://www.earwolf.com/ I'm not into the Sklar Bros so haven't checked that show out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I wish the Pod F Tompkast was just an hour or whatever of him talking set to music.

I really like the Jen Kirkman phone calls. The ongoing skit about the "world's greatest musical" is getting better but didn't really click for me the first 2 episodes. I love all those characters when he does them on CDR but it's been a little stilted on the podcast so far. This latest one was looser and pretty good. I haven't liked the taped bits from his Largo shows. They were probably hilarious in person.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Doug Loves Movies - 10/12/10

This was a pretty visual episode.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Doug Benson on the latest Sklarbro Country is really good. I love all the "behind the curtain" shop-talk. I really like Sklarbro Country over CDR these days because it's so quick and punchy. They make that hour fly.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Strange Matter posted:

Were people saying that Mike Birbiglia was boring on Nerdist? Because I'm really enjoying this show. Even though he does talk like he just downed a bottle of Quaaludes.

I think they were complaining about him on CDR. I haven't heard it, but I'm a big fan of his stories.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Any CDR with Little Gary as a guest is worth checking out. Fantastic character. Browsing the earwolf site is a great way to find old episodes to listen to because they did a good job with samples from each. Look for the episode with Kumail Nanjiani and his story about John Mayer being a racist to him. Funniest poo poo.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I like Tig. I used to be annoyed by her on CDR but I've seen her perform a few times and got used to her style. Listening to the most recent CDR and the loving sax playing along to the Would You Rather theme has me dying at work. Gonna listen to cyberthug's new show later today.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Finished the first episode of Cyberthug's new show and it was really good. Little slow to start but once they started talking about all the different rappers, they were killing it. Autistic Illuminati members.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I got into CDR from the Best of 2009 episode. From there I tracked down the various episodes that they pulled from and then eventually just listened to them all.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/best-2009-paul-f-tompkins-nick-kroll-james-adomian

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Holy poo poo, listened to the latest WTF at work today and got teary-eyed a couple of times. That was a really great interview with Mike Destefano. Really makes you put poo poo into perspective! Now I'm going to track down their appearances on The Moth.

Was not feeling the first Who Charted or Glitter in the Garbage (the opening was great, but didn't like the character pieces).

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

SKULE123 posted:

I had trouble finding that The Moth episode as a whole, but found the telling of "Franny's Last Ride". There's another story called "the Junkie and the Monk" to be found through googling, but I don't have the URL handy.

http://huffduffer.com/norelpref/2757

Thanks, man! I think I found the entire episode also, but can't check it while I'm at work:

http://www.themoth.org/radio_204

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

SKULE123 posted:

I found that page, but couldn't find a "Play" or download button, not sure if this is some Adblock foolishness on my part.

Ya, I don't see a play button either. Your links were good at least.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

The second Glitter in the Garbage was really funny.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

WTF and DLM won, so that's good I guess. But what a janky site and uncomfortable show to watch.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

The new Who Charted was excellent. Natasha Leggero was hilarious and her comments on the music charts had me dying.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Manos99 posted:

http://www.earwolf.com/blog/where-cyber-thug-radio

RIP Cyber Thug Radio.

Rather cryptic message, actually. Wonder what happened.
^^^ Which one was yours?

Glad they acknowledged something happened. That was gonna be a great show. :(

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Tried watching Old Dogs for the next How Did This Get Made and that poo poo is so bad. I got about 15 minutes in before stopping it. Once the podcast comes out I'll try watching it again. The opening credits were good for Baby's First Photoshop hilarity.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Nick Kroll's Comedy Central special is pretty awesome. He's busted out all his characters.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

Here's a thing about Cyber Thug Radio http://www.opportunitylol.com/MilesArcher.html

Nice find. That's really interesting. Bummer it came down to contracts and business stuff like that. I always assumed these podcasts made little to no money and never put much thought into how the business side might work. CTR was awesome. :(

Edit: Haven't listened to the Gallagher episode yet because I know it's going to make me uncomfortable, but I checked out the Onion AV Club interview which was pretty insane. That guy is such a gently caress. Marc needs to have Carrot Top on soon as a counterpoint.

Rudy Riot fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 1, 2011

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

The Never Not Funny with Conan is free:
http://pardcast.libsyn.com/episode-811f-conan-o-brien-1

Haven't listened to it yet, but should be good.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

King Lou posted:

I finally listened to the WTF with Dave Foley. I really liked how he and Maron really clicked on their women issues and other dysfunctionality. I'd never heard that story about his marriages. Really crazy.

Dave Foley was at Comedy Death Ray tuesday this week and I was curious to see how his stand-up would be after hearing that interview. It was SO bad... pretty cringe-worthy. I've been rewatching Kids in the Hall on Netflix (also because of that WTF) and it's still a loving hilarious show. It's just that you can tell that he's completely uncomfortable and out of his element trying to do stand-up. I felt bad for him. Patton Oswalt opened the night and totally killed, which probably didn't help things either.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

The new WTF with Tom Scharpling is so good! I had stopped listening to the Best Show when he had quit recently and it's cool to hear why he did it and where he's at with it now. Might have to resubscribe.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Penis envy posted:

Listening to the most recent one tonight I was reminded of Police Squad and Naked Gun as I think they share a lot in the way they make comedy. The fact that there haven't been any comedies in the vein of a Naked Gun in a long time makes Mike Detective really fun to listen to.

A lot of movies still come out in that Zucker Abrahams Zucker style every year(Scary Movies, TEEN Movie, or whatever), they're just not very good. Those dudes are in their 60s now, but I know Abrahams directed Scary Movie 4. I don't know if the other ones are still active.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Just listen to it for yourself, it was fine. I'm not sure what they were talking about because although it was nothing spectacular, it was an interesting interview of an interesting guy.

This is good advice. I thought it was an entertaining interview. I find Rollins interesting and fun to listen to, but I'm not about to read a book of his poetry or anything. His weekly music show on KCRW is pretty good and worth checking out.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Comedy Central Developing 'Evil Genius' Comedy Starring Paul F. Tompkins, co-written by Tom Scharpling. Pretty cool news!

Deadline posted:

Comedy Central has put in development Evil Genius, a high-concept scripted comedy starring actor-comedian Paul F. Tompkins. The show, which Tompkins will write with Tom Scharpling (Monk), stars Tompkins as Professor Tiberius Lynch, an evil genius who has successfully taken over the world, achieving global domination. The only problem is -- what should he do next?
http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/comedy-central-developing-evil-genius-comedy-starring-paul-f-tompkins/

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Chris Cox. He says his name at the beginning of each one.

Right, he did a long Charlie Sheen bit on ep 32 of Sklarbro Country. He nails it.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Mr. Kennedy posted:

Ive heard good things about the Ricky Gervais stuff, would any one recommend that or anything similar to it?

I thought the first year of his podcast with Stephen and Carl was amazing. Totally hilarious. I didn't enjoy the 2nd series as much, but it was alright. It's been a few years now, so I don't really know what they did after that, podcast wise. I know the current HBO cartoon series is stuff from those podcasts that's been animated. But honestly, that first series was fantastic.

RE CDR, I don't really listen to the Would You Rathers anymore. That bit just drags to me. If I'm really feeling the guests I'll stick it out, but if it's poo poo like Wierd Al and Tig Notaro, no thanks.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

The 100th episode of Comedy Death Ray was pretty good. Really appreciated the semi-serious opening segment with the musicians. I've been burning out on how corny Scott Aukerman is. Best part was Rob Huebel talking to his 90 year old neighbor when Thom Lennon pulls up and says "Who wants to make $100 dollars the hard way?" then peels off, hahah.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I've been listening to UYD lately and it's finally growing on me. I'd only really heard about it from this thread so started listening from ep 1. At first I was put off by all the "fag" and "homo" terms they were throwing around but it doesn't seem as harsh anymore. It's pretty funny and the news they talk about is surprisingly timeless. It's still 2006 where I'm at, yet doesn't seem out of date. I'll probably check out their next live show.

Speaking of live shows, went to my first Paul F Tompkins show at Largo this past weekend. It was pretty good. I think I prefer to see him just do stand-up, but I'll probably catch another of these variety shows if the guests sound interesting. This time he had Andy Richter and Kaitlin Olson who were both really funny. Highlight for me is that he started the show behind the drawn curtain with "Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today..." doing the Prince "Let's Go Crazy" monologue. Prince is in town doing like 20 shows so he just did this long funny Prince intro.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Watching Talking Funny right, so good! I wonder if Marc Maron is all :argh: thinking he should have a cable show like that. I'd watch WTF.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

t3ch3 posted:

When Maron pitched the TV version of WTF he wanted to make it a wacky news story show with him and a female co-host. Basically, he wanted a station to buy a version of Break Room Live where he replaced Sam Seder with a woman. This was back during the days of the first couple dozen episodes of the podcast when he was still recording it in the Air America studios. It's not really hard to figure out why the idea wasn't picked up. He mentioned a pilot once, but I'm not sure it even got to the point where they filmed that.

Yikes, that's a pretty horrible idea. Yeah, I guess you wouldn't have stuff like the Mencia interviews if it was a tv show.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

shotgunbadger posted:

I don't know how you can 'feel for' a dude who murdered a guy's wife and mocked his friends about it.

Who did he murder? They don't mention that on his wikipedia page.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Cromulent posted:

Indeed.

http://wizbangpop.com/2011/04/28/andy-dick-shows-off-his-dick-in-portland-comedy-festival-appearance/
Rogan also mentioned it in passing on his podcast yesterday.

What a loving hot mess, jesus. How does that dude not die?

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Maarak posted:

@JamesUrbaniak
James Urbaniak
@PFTompkins http://bit.ly/iujOsT

Is that your blog? Cool to see it got the "deal with it" treatment.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Creflo Chronicle posted:

I thought the CBB thing was a joke, wonder why he decided to do that? Because of the TV thing?

On the CDR Earwolf page he wrote:

Scott Aukerman posted:

OK, let me clarify so there's no confusion - the show IS changing its name.

The reason is simple - CDR was something me and another person started eight years ago. The podcast transformed into something wonderful but different, so it is only right that it changes its name.

It doesn't make any sense for me to have two or three different brands going, so I'm changing everything 360. The confusion I was talking about between the podcast and the live show is not the reason for the change, but will hopefully be cleared up by the new nomenclature ("The Podcast"/ "Standup").

If the new name keeps you from listening - see you around, and fare thee well. If you still want to listen - Welcome! Either way, God bless the USA.

Can we focus on the show now? Did any of you enjoy it?
-SA

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

Re: advertisements, I totally used proflowers.com because of the WTF ads. Used it a few times after as well. I imagine its pretty hard for advertisers to figure out the wildely different podcast audiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

CortezFantastic posted:

Started listening to Uhh Yeah Dude for the last week, on episode 17 and I'm hooked. This Week in Florida and Jonathan's poems are what sealed the deal. This show is excellent and I hope the quality keeps up.

Yeah, I'm pretty new to it as well. Been working my way through it and am currently on ep 36. They're great, really crack me up. It's just been getting better and better and I can't believe I still have over 200 episodes to go. And for it having started in 2006, most of the stuff doesn't feel too dated.

• Locked thread