Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
So am I the only dude that really dislikes Marc Maron? Like WTF is a nice change in comedian podcasts, but for me he always comes off as a really generic "old comic" type who sometimes goes on random bitter tangents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Jack Bandit posted:

Do you feel that way about the interviews or just the opening?

I will say his interviews are often good, but even then sometimes it feels like that just because the atmosphere isn't the normal "ha ha so you write boner jokes, Boners own, ever get into a fight with another comic?" type, rather then him proper.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

bananasinpajamas posted:

I pretty much always skip the first 10 minutes or so of Maron's podcasts. Maron's problem is similar to Carolla's: both old ranting guys who feel the need to rant so much that they have several shows a week, thus overexposing their points of view. They'd both be better suited to do a weekly podcast with one stellar guest and more emphasis on the guest and not their own nonsense.

Yea I subscribe to him and all but I do the same skip and just roll eyes when something hits Marc's "did you perhaps know I too was a comedian long ago?" button and he has to have a rant.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

bananasinpajamas posted:

Well Carolla doesn't really just have a designated ranting area like Maron. If someone brings up something even remotely related to Dora the Explorer or left-turn arrows he goes into the same poo poo he always says and it can quickly bring anything to a screeching halt. I don't see how that connects with the audience at all.

His audience is mostly bitter libertarian misogynists too, that helps connect. His whole deal is just angrily preach to the choir.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Rudy Riot posted:

Tried watching Old Dogs for the next How Did This Get Made and that poo poo is so bad. I got about 15 minutes in before stopping it. Once the podcast comes out I'll try watching it again. The opening credits were good for Baby's First Photoshop hilarity.

Yea I got about a half hour in before going 'nah' and walking away. I love How did This Get Made already, though, and am glad they're doing Netflix stuff too so I don't have to pay and make time to go see a terrible movie.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Speaking of, the Old Dogs ep is up. As for chemistry I agree, I love The League so I kinda "know" the two guys already, so it's less an issue for me, but they could stand to banter just a bit.

I will say though, without banter it almost feels more "real", since they play off eachother often and do seem to like the mocking.

shotgunbadger fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 27, 2011

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Hate to keep pulling from the same well but seeing that just made me thought 'oh god it'll be battle of the bitter old assholes'.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Sexy Randal posted:

Oh man that interview is going to be awesome.

Posting for those who haven't seen this before: Gallagher is in fact totally batshit crazy.

He really loving is, I'm so looking forward to this because for all my dislike of Marc, I love any venue to hear gallagher be loving bonkers. I hope he kept the storm out on the podcast, I wanna hear that fuckin mic drop.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Wyld Cannon posted:

Kinda funny since Paul Scheer is married to June, but I don't think he's ever mentioned it once for some reason. But then again I don't think Kulap has ever mentioned being married to Aukerman but everyone knows that anyway. I don't feel like they don't have chemistry though, I think it's more of an issue that Paul isn't really a "host", he doesn't lead the show in any direction, they all just talk about whatever they want.

Pretty much yea, it's not 'his' thing it's theirs and they wanna just bring a friend in and laugh at a terrible movie. I honestly dig that, it's not about them and all it's just about this topic and they keep it short enough where they don't have to pad with forced banter to feel 'personal'.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

HipGnosis posted:

Doug Loves Movies for this week:

Question for you Sarah Silverman, are you drunk or something?
She seemed pretty much Sarah Silverman on any given day.

So, maybe?

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Groucho Marxist posted:

I don't know if you guys know, but Gallagher is on twitter and it's the best.

http://twitter.com/realgallagher

Fuckin love this crazy, hateful, hack.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

The Modern Leper posted:

Do we know for a fact that that's Gallagher? I can't imagine that he knows what Twitter is, much less feels that his audience would've benefitted from a Twitter feed.

Also, does anyone know how the live NNF went? I think it went down last weekend, but it wasn't mentioned on the most recent ep (even as upcoming).

From what I heard his current 'act' is basically him angrily screaming about gays, Obama, and 'liberal culture' so really the only shock is the Jew stuff.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Yea I'm no fan of him but Marc did a good job of handling a loving insane guest and that is a sign of skill.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

jyrka posted:

Without knowing who Gallagher is and barely knowing of Maron, Maron seemed to have an axe to grind. I guess context is important.

edit: although it is pretty funny to hear someone storming out.

Maron always has an axe, in context though it is kinda important to know gllaghar is loving insane, homophobic, bitter, and a general rear end in a top hat. Basically a lot of dudes have an axe for him. No idea if it was posted already but there's an AVclub interview with him generally being a bitter poo poo about the general concept of new comedians not being prop comics.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Not sure if it's 'comedy' but I don't see a general podcast thread so I'll post it here.

Just listened to the latest Giant Bombcast and it was great, do these guys do any other podcasts?

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

freeipods posted:

I don't think so, but there is a popular Giant Bomb thread in Games if you haven't seen it yet.

Oh, durp, thanks for the heads up, that would make sense.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Strange Matter posted:

Can I just say that I love that El Chupacabra's closing bit at the end of each Earwolf podcast?

I have literally never heard it until right this second, and I subscribe to all the Earwolf stuff. This made my night.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Strange Matter posted:

I don't find Weird Al all that funny when he's on podcasts. He's too reserved and straight forward and chill. He's interesting to talk to but doesn't live up to his identity I guess.

I like him on interviews but not a huge fan of his comedy. He feels like the opposite of Gallagher actually, an older, gimmick, comedian but he actually respects people with other views on humor, and seems neat to talk with.

Haven't listened to today's CDR but looks like a good one.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
I think that's what bugs me about him, I still think he's a stereotypical 'bitter old comedian' and all but like, he seems like a really NICE bitter old comedian, which makes it hard to really dislike him much. He seems like a guy I'd genuinely enjoy talking to, even if I dislike a lot of things he says or something.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Bunk Rogers posted:

Fuckers had me convinced French Stewart died on auto-erotic asphyxiation before my brain grapes noodled that one out.

Yea I love how smoothly they went from reasonable sounding to 'he got his dick eaten by a wolf'.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

SkellingTon Loc posted:

"Hey! This feller's laughing at his own jokes. That's unprofessional. Git 'im, boys."

"Yer premise is faulty for that character! *throws a bottle*"

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Gay Pimpin owns, even if you're not GBLT you'll laugh (though I have been told his voice is grating, dunno, I like it but I can see how people could get turned off).

Also don't know if it's been said but the How Did This Get Made for The Last Airbender is out and it's great.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

krushgroove posted:

If you play tabletop RPGs the D&D podcasts with them were funny.

Yea their RPG podcasts are great mainly because it's just a few dudes who don't fully understand how to play bumbling through the game and not taking it seriously.

When they take themselves seriously both PA and Kurtz are insufferable douchebags.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Strange Matter posted:

Brett Gelman is the best non-character CDR guest. Although to a certain extent his character is Brett Gelman. His moral outrage at "Is This News Story Real or False?" and frantic backpeddling during the ending of "Would You Rather?" utterly ruined me.

I'm glad he's unbanned now. Though for how long?!

I really do like how he has a good mix of 'character shows' and shows with just normal crazy fuckers who are their own character. Gelman indeed owns, and this year better have double the horrible stories!

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Majorian posted:

Well, that's basically what I'm saying, really - I think most comics aren't as funny in interviews as they are doing their act or playing a character.

You do know most interviews are not meant to be funny, but rather informative and interesting, right?

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Jack Bandit posted:

This is disappointing because I was really looking forward to the Rollins episode. As for Smith, I don't think a guy that names his kid after a Batman character is very concerned about loving her up.

What'd he name her?

Also I saw Smith and honestly lost the will to listen to this DLM, he just ruins things for me, some one please reassure me that he's kept in check by the two other excellent guests and Doug?

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Yeticopter posted:

Man, did anyone else think that Conan O'Brien was a bit of a dick on NNF? Like pointlessly criticizing Pardo for engaging in aimless banter about nothing? I get that maybe that's sort of his "schtick" but there were times where he seemed downright hostile and not really humorous at all. I'm a pretty big Conan fan, but he seemed a little out of his element when the shows not meticulously planned/written/rehearsed. He seems to have sort of lost his touch with improv. I guess he's not as acclimated to the podcasting culture as guys like Pardo or Ackerman, but still.

Conan is kinda a dick. Nothing really crippling or anything but yea, outside his 'element' he kinda turns into a bit of a jerk. He seems kinda like one of those types who's great with a nice, written, script, but if things start deviating he just kinda loses the train.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Yannick_B posted:

Yeah, all being creative people, I was expecting them to get more into the nuts and bolts of why is something terrible. It feels like if the show was a but longer, they would step over each other much less.

I don't give a poo poo why it technically doesn't work, I want to hear some dudes laugh at a terrible movie, and they do this well for my tastes. I can see why it'd annoy others but I love it.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

sambafish posted:

I love Jimmy Pardo and I am a huge fan of NNF (Primo!), but I think this is a legitimate point. Eliot and Dan crowing at everything Jimmy or Matt says actually does give the show a morning zoo vibe.

I'm not a fan of Pardo but yea, if he didn't have two hyenas shrieking in his background every other sentence I could at least listen to it when I hear it's a good episode.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Does he even do anything anymore? I know he bought his own movie and poo poo but like, is podcasting now his job, and cashing in royalties and all?

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Yannick_B posted:

How did this get made? : I think watching Battlefield Earth has gotten to Jason Mantzoukas in a bad way.

His go to response is anger now.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Ugly In The Morning posted:

CDR's been on such a hot streak they could have an episode with Tig Notaro AND Garfunkel and Oates and I'd probably still listen to it. I've been listening to back episodes, and holy poo poo, they really put the "Comedy Death" in "Comedy Death Ray".

Woah now, are you saying you normally don't like Tig and Garfunkle and Oates on podcasts?

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Binowru posted:

Natasha Leggero was goddamn hilarious on her last CDR appearance with Harris Wittels.

Yea I can get not liking Tig's deal (though not G&O :colbert:) but I don't know who the gently caress isn't down with Leggero.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Flying-Chip posted:

Mark Maron is loving unbearable, he kept trying to push Joe into admiting that he's evil and the devil for going on Fear factor. He's one jealous motherfucker and he ruins his own podcast.

Haha why on earth would he do that other then generic faux-indy-comic 'fuckin sellout man!' things?

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He's definitely got a lot of jealousy/ego type things going on, and he's admitted a lot that he ends up seeing other people's success as some kind of personal attack on him. I really like his show most of the time, but the dude's got loving problems. I think that how hosed up he is is half the reason I listen, though, because it's really interesting to hear him talk through it.

Well at least the dude is self-aware of it instead of being the typical douche going 'what? No it's YOUR problem rear end in a top hat!'

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
To be fair, I laugh at WTF, but mainly when guys like Conan call out his horrible projection and self-absorbed nature.

Still, the laughs are real.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

-Atom- posted:

I listen to podcasts to laugh, not to hear some neurotic comedian talking about nothing for an hour.

I don't find it interesting.

I'm the exact same way I love good interviews, I hate Maron because he does not do good interviews. He badgers and harps on guests, mainly projecting his own very deep and very troubling problems and sometimes getting lucky when someone shares them. I don't even dislike him anymore, honestly after hearing his thing with Conan I just feel sorry for him, because he's so obviously grasping for someone to feel bad with because he's lonely.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

wafflesnsegways posted:

I don't think that's a problem. I mean, he has his own interests, and he wants to hear people talk about certain things. That's true of all interviewers.

But he's also very open and honest about himself. Often, that leads the guest opening up, too. Maron doesn't shut them down to talk about himself - he encourages it.

It didn't work with Conan (who as far as I can tell never lets his guard down ever) and it doesn't work with everyone. But when it works, it feels like an interesting, emotional, honest conversation between two people.

Honestly that last line is the problem. It's not 'his guard', from what I heard it really did seem like the guy had no issues like that, and was legit annoyed Marc wouldn't accept that. Of course every interview has an agenda, but what Marc does goes beyond the pale, he doesn't care about actual information, he does Barbra Walters style of 'if I can get them to have an emotional reveal I win' and honestly he gets upset when people don't either have the issues he wants, or have them and won't play his game.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
So I just got into Best Show thanks to a link to the one with them laughing hysterically at the ICP ad, any other 'must listen to' episodes of it that I should get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

MoPZiG posted:

I havent watched g4 in years but Kevin Perreira always came across as a pretty genuine guy.

Yea I've tuned into AotS sometimes when an interesting story is teased, and he seems like a pretty neat dude.

So about Rogan's podcast, I'm a UFC fan who likes humor and all, should I be subscribed to his stuff, or is he still basically 'crazy Joe tells you the moon landing was faked, once in a while he has a guest that can keep him in check'?

• Locked thread