Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nah
Mar 16, 2009

In the Let's Talk About Loveline thread, I noticed a few posts from people asking why we don't have a comedy podcast thread. Well here it is! :shobon:

I figured this first post can be used to list all the great comedy podcasts out there. This is just *my* list of favorites, but if you have more, feel free to talk about 'em and I'll update the OP. Eventually I'd like to separate these into further sub-categories (interview-style, live performances, etc), but for now, I'll just lump 'em all together.

edit: When you suggest a podcast, try and point out a specific episode that you love to give people an idea where to start! I'll eventually give my own list for the ones I listed.

Most (if not all) of these can be found in iTunes, but I've also provided RSS feeds and/or other links to download the shows directly.

Don't be afraid to mention your own podcast! This is the place to talk about it, and get some pretty nice exposure.

The Adam Carolla Show

quote:

"Yeah, I mean c'mon! I'm sick of this 'swiper no swiping!' what the hell? I used to play football! My dad never came to my games, but I'm not bitter! Hey legitimate movie star, I made a movie once! Maybe you've seen it. Let me tell you about the ins and outs of the movie biz... Hey! My personal friend that I hired as a producer: quit loving the show up/close the door I can hear you/ p.s. you're a Jew! Let me tell you about how I hate Mexicans, and in particular the Mexicans I hire to do my menial labor. Hey famous guest, did that make you feel awkward? Did I mention this whole show is taking place in a garage full of my sweet cars that I own? Let me tell you all about cars whether you like it or not. Here's where I bitch about how I hate Los Angeles. How many times can I say 'swing a hammer' so people know I was once a working man? You guys know Dr. Drew right? Let me talk poo poo about him. Has is been 15 minutes since I told everyone I was on TV? Oh yeah, my kid's a human being. Since I once worked construction I feel I have open license to be a racist douchebag. I was on Dancing with the Stars and they just didn't understand my genius! Oh, famous guest, that's an interesting story/topic/idea, let me put the brakes on the whole show to tell you I know how to hang drywall or frame a door or fix a carburetor like I'm the Patron Saint of Screwdrivers."
Comedy and Everything Else

quote:

Jimmy and Stef get together to talk about comedy, and everything else on their minds, in this thought provoking and sometimes silly hour, sometimes two hours, of funny.
Comedy Bang Bang

quote:

Based on the live stage show the L.A. Times calls "one of the most prestigious nights of [comedy] in the country," Comedy Bang Bang brings the country's best comedians straight to your home.
Comedy Film Nerds

quote:

Movie reviews by stand-up comics and filmmakers Graham Elwood and Chris Mancini
Doug Loves Movies

quote:

Comedian Doug Benson (Last Comic Standing, Super High Me) invites his friends to sit down and discuss his first love: movies!
The Flour Hour

quote:

An extremely funny podcast about all things bread.
Fitzdog Radio with Greg Fitzsimmons

quote:

It's a podcast hosted by the great comic Greg Fitzsimmons :v:
Jordan, Jesse, GO!

quote:

Jordan, Jesse GO! is an irreverent talk show, hosted by Jesse Thorn (The Sound of Young America) and Jordan Morris (Fuel TV). Listen in as Jesse, Jordan and celebrity guests discuss high-fives, goofing off and the travails of being a young adult. Be advised that while the show is by no means adult entertainment, it sometimes contains swearing and frank sex talk.
Monday Morning Podcast with Bill Burr

quote:

Comedian, Bill Burr, rants and rambles Monday mornings via cell phone for cynical insights into the world of comedy and touring.
The Nerdist

quote:

I am Chris Hardwick. I am on TV a lot and have a blog at nerdist.com. This podcast is basically just me talking about stuff and things with my two nerdy friends Jonah Ray and Matt Mira, and usually someone more famous than all of us. Occasionally we swear because that is fun. I hope you like it, but if you don't I'm sure you will not hesitate to unfurl your rage in the 'reviews' section because that's how the Internet works.
Never Not Funny (NOTE: Never Not Funny is a premium podcast, meaning you have to pay for full access; this RSS feed is for the free version, which is the first 20 minutes of each show, and some ads)

quote:

"Never Not Funny" is a party conversation with one of the funniest men on the planet: comedian and TV personality Jimmy Pardo ("The Tonight Show," "That '70s Show," "The Surreal Life"). Every week, he sits down with producer Matt Belknap and a guest from the world of comedy to shoot the breeze, share stories and laugh at life. The free-flowing discussion can lead anywhere, but whether Jimmy's talking about growing up in the '70s and '80s, his unbridled love of classic rock or facing the trials of modern life, it's bound to strike a chord with listeners of all ages, and it's guaranteed to make you laugh
The Pod F. Tompkast

quote:

Award-Worthy Comedian PAUL F. TOMPKINS Presents Sketch, Live Recordings and Conversation, All Whilst Taking a Healthy Dip in The Stream of Consciousness. Featuring Clips from Mr. Tompkins's Largo Variety Show, The Music of Eban Schletter and Absurd Portrayals of Ice-T, Andrew Lloyd Webber, The Cake Boss and Others of Notoriety.
Pop My Culture

quote:

Pop My Culture is a bi-weekly(ish) podcast hosted by comedic actors and improvisers Cole Stratton and Vanessa Ragland. Join these two entertainment nerds and their special celebrity guests as they discuss movies, music, television, celebrity gossip, etc. without all those pesky “serious” topics like politics, religion and the environment. I mean, you can tune into Fresh Air for that. We’ll just tackle the trivial watercooler stuff, ok?
Sklarbro Country

quote:

Yet another comedy podcast about indie rock and sports. Hosted by the Sklar Brothers, this brand new podcast will feature guests, characters, and lots of great bits (presumably) from the Sklars.
The Smartest Man in the World

quote:

Comedian Greg Proops is smarter than you.
Uhh Yeah Dude

quote:

Saving America from herself, America through the eyes of two American Americans. Seth and Jonathan are the best podcasters currently podcasting right now, they take a medium that is usually poo poo and turn it into pure comedy, it's also a dancecast and performance art.
Walking with Michelle

quote:

Comic Michelle Biloon drags you and comedians like Doug Benson, Maria Bamford, and James Adomian to the country's favorite tourist traps.
Who Charted? with Howard Kremer

quote:

Welcome to Who Charted, a weekly podcast delving into the hottest music, movies, and television for the week.
WTF with Marc Maron

quote:

Comedian Marc Maron is tackling the most complex philosophical question of our day - WTF? He'll get to the bottom of it with help from comedian friends, celebrity guests and the voices in his own head. You loved him on Morning Sedition. You kinda liked him on The Marc Maron Show. You tolerated him on Break Room Live. Now, embrace him on a show from which he cannot be fired - WTF with Marc Maron.

The following is a list of goon-run podcasts. If you have one, mention it in this thread and I'll update the OP!

Song For The Deaf posted:

For the goon-run podcasts:

Those drat Ross Kids - Two brothers making each other laugh about the news and the perils of living. Inspired by "You Look Nice Today" and "Uhh Yeah Dude." Updated every Tuesday.

Website Link

iTunes

En Fuego posted:

Undead Radio - http://www2.kisw.com/listen/category/Undead+Radio or on iTunes searchable under Undead Radio or KISW

A podcast featuring The Reverend En Fuego, Topshelf and Mono-Nick from the BJ Shea Morning Experience, on KISW in Seattle. Daily topics usually include video games, gaming in general and pop culture news.

King Lou posted:

Lou Reads the Internet for YOU!

SA GOON, King Lou, seeks out the webs weirdest and more fascinating discussions and reads them for his faithful listeners. Places that most people don't even want to acknowledge exist are read aloud for your entertainment. Its been described as "A Filthy NPR-style reading of the webs most deviant corners.

Website Link

iTunes

krushgroove posted:

Cool! I do a show called Digital Porridge, the basis of which is that I'm American (living in England), my friend is British, and we go back and forth about various aspects of either culture as well as catch up on what we've done lately.

The show is weekly and 30-35 minutes per episode.

The blog with show notes is at http://www.digitalporridge.net, with direct download links and you can listen to the latest shows from the web page. You can subscribe at RSS feed and iTunes link

I'd appreciate any feedback from any goons, either by PM, posting on the blog, iTunes reviews, whatever.

The Capm posted:

I'm a goon, I run a podcast! https://www.deadideavalhalla.com

It's called Dead Idea Valhalla. It's short and weekly and features all original music in addition to other bits. The standard format is a five to ten minute rant on whatever, or just telling a (hopefully) amusing or interesting story, then a song, either by me or a band I was once in, then a produced bit, with either me or with one of my friends. I think the second episode is a good one to start with to see if the humor is for you.

I also did a couple dozen episodes of a podcast called The Butterfield Family Dinocast, which was a more traditional Get a Bunch of Dudes in a Room and Have Them Talk About Something show. It's on my site as well.

nah fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

drat, dude! You just gave me entertainment for the week!
Perhaps it's because I'm not all that familiar with the podcast scene, but I had no idea so many stand-ups had podcasts.

Yeah, it's really great to see stand-ups getting into it. It's the perfect medium for getting funny stuff out to a wide audience consistently. The "indie" or "alternative" comics are especially embracing it. I'm expecting more and more to hop on the podcast bandwagon soon (Sklar Bros and Paul F. Tompkins just started on August 1st).

nah
Mar 16, 2009

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Support the little guys who do it much better.

Uhh Yeah Dude - http://www.uhhyeahdude.com/

Sick & Wrong - http://www.sickandwrongpodcast.com/

Any specific episodes to recommend?

In fact, I think that should be a good idea for any podcast someone posts.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

elwood posted:

What! No Bugle? Shame on you.

The Bugle, Audio Newspaper for a Visual World

Phill and Phil's Perfect Ten

Well, as you can probably tell, I tend to listen to more conversational podcasts. Basically I look at the format as the perfect medium for what talk radio SHOULD be. I don't have anything against produced variety-type shows at all, but that's just my preference. Which is why this thread should be fantastic :)

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Tears In A Vial posted:

I thought the one with his daughter was adorable, but the best ones -- in my mind -- are the ones with Walt Flannigan; not because Scott Mosier isn't good, more that Kevin Smith seems to take more of a back seat when he has a guest on. When it's just Kevin and Scott, Kevin talks, almost without pause, about about how much he likes to gently caress for like an hour and it does my head in.

I get an overwhelming sense of "You should be LUCKY you're listening to this podcast" from Smith on SModcast. Maybe that's just me.

Change the name to :smug:cast

Binowru posted:

My favorite podcast, by far. I urge you all to look up the recent(-ish) episode with Jimmy Pardo, Paul F. Tompkins and Kate Micucci. Some of the funniest poo poo I've ever heard anywhere.

edit: Here it is on blip.tv: http://ilovemovies.blip.tv/file/3625291/

Can't agree with this more. PFT and Pardo have an amazing chemistry.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I loved Gervais' podcast before it became the Hey Let's Literally Only Talk to Karl Pilkington For The Entire Show podcast

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Strange Matter posted:

Oh god, this. This. Doug Loves Movies is litterally one of the highlights of my week because it's always hilarious and Doug always has fantastic guests. The live audience definitely complements the show, so much so that the lack of an audience in the last couple weeks (the show was recorded at Pardo's Never Not Funny studio) sort of impairs the overall quality. But my god it's hysterical.

Listen to the latest show recorded at the UCB Theatre in New York. One of, if not the best, episode yet. Amazing crowd and amazing performers.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

FortCastle posted:

This right here, I've probably listened to 15 different comedy podcasts and none come close to this

Here's a good place to find all the old episodes of Doug Loves Movies (formerly I Love Movies). Some good ones to choose from:

Bob Odenkirk and Chris Hardwick. They break down the top 10 movies of the last 25 years I believe, and Odenkirk provides some amazing opinions.
Jon Hamm and Jimmy Pardo. Just great chemistry between the three of them. Hamm (of Mad Men fame) really knows comedy.
Adam Carolla and Patton Oswalt. Again, the chemistry is awesome, and this is about the best environment I've seen Carolla in outside of Loveline.
Andy Kindler and Marc Maron. If you don't like Kindler, :frogout:
Paul F. Tompkins and Sean Cullen. Both amazing comedians, both get along great and both sing together at some point. Special.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

KING OF BLOGOSPHERE posted:

How many of the comedy death rays have people doing characters? I listened to 63 and 62 after hearing how many people rave about it, and they were both awesome for the first 30 minutes and then some lame jerk came in doing a dumb character and completely ruined the rest of the show.

Maybe it's not for you :shobon:

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Comedy Death Ray Radio posted their latest episode a day early. Featuring the Sklar Bros and an appearance from Bob Ducca :allears:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/comedydeathrayradio

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Strange Matter posted:

I listened to one Comedy Death Ray podcast. It was Brian Posehn,and some guy playing a disgusting Food Critic Character. It was funny, but it seemed unnatural, or at least inorganic which is really the only format I like these podcasts in. Something about it turned me off and I haven't gone back since.

Its just weird hearing Doug sing the praises of Comedy Death Ray when the styles of the two podcasts are so completely different.

Well, for one, both are very funny, so I'm sure Doug can appreciate that, and secondly, DLM is the opener for the live version of Comedy Death Ray at the UCB Theatre, so they're all good pals.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

webster876 posted:

Some of the CDR characters are pretty dumb, but i've heard a few that I really like. Whoever plays Adam Scott's ex-step father is HILARIOUS, especially when he just starts listing funny things, like illnesses he has (The Lucy Liu Flu), or his list of unlicenses therapists he's seen (Susan Infantdeathsyndrome).

Also, Cake Boss makes me laugh a lot.

That's LA improv and UCB regular Seth Morris.

He's on this week's episode of CDR

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Narwhale posted:

It's pretty hard to describe podcasts you like, isn't it? Hopefully some people will check these out, though, because they're both pretty great.

Yeah, I guess the best way is to do it the way you did, but comparing to others. There does seem to be a pretty general couple of "types" of podcasts: people sitting around and talking vs. produced/written "bits" or characters. Some shows like CDR combine them.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Also, has anyone listened to Sklarbro Country? The first episode is ready on my iPod. I like the Sklars, I loved "Cheap Seats", but I truthfully have no interest in sports. Will I enjoy it nontheless?

Yeah, it's vintage Sklar Bros. You need to know as much about sports to enjoy it as you did with Cheap Seats (at least I'm assuming after the first episode).

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Whitey Ford posted:

I love it too, easily my favorite.

There are so many podcasts being thrown around in this thread, perhaps we need a sub-forum so we can have TVIV type dicussions, especially when the frequency of podcasts is sometimes daily

Speaking of which, I think Carolla's podcast would be a lot better if he just did them weekly. He could get good guests that he has familiar chemistry with and didn't have to rely on all these interview-style shows that are utterly forgettable. He really could have a Never Not Funny-type podcast if he paced out the poo poo

edit: Also, a podcast sub-forum would be pretty amazing. Lord knows there's enough of them (and not just comedy) to support an entire sub-forum.

nah fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 6, 2010

nah
Mar 16, 2009

According to their Facebook, CDR-Radio will be dropping every Wednesday or Thursday from now on.

Also episode 2 of Sklarbro Country is out! Featuring one of the dudes from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. And they read an e-mail I sent them. :smugdog:

nah fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 6, 2010

nah
Mar 16, 2009

habanero walrus posted:

Uhh Yeah Dude is the best podcast on the internet. No guests, no boring bullshit about working in comedy, hardly any "segments", just an hour of two hilarious dudes having a seamless conversation about the crazy poo poo Seth has found on the internet interspersed with stories from their pasts.

No guests and no stories about working in comedy? Both good reasons for me to skip this show.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Your results may vary, but I just about hurt myself laughing at the Bjork character in #15 (it starts about 37 minutes in), I have no idea who did it but it was one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time (it helps if you've heard the really weird Billy Bob Thornton interview with that Canadian radio guy a while back).

I just started listening to the CDR podcasts after finally catching up on Marc Maron's (I started that one from the beginning too), and it's my new favorite. Scott Aukerman plays a great straight man for the character bits.

Bjork was played by Matt Besser, one of the founders up the Upright Citizen's Brigade.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Can't get into UYD at all. :iiam: I don't find either of the guys likable at all. And I like showbiz and stand-up stories and funny guests a lot :shobon:

nah
Mar 16, 2009

No one on the planet seems more pompous and arrogant than Jesse Thorn. And his face is uncomfortable to look at for more than a few seconds. He's pretty much perfect for public radio. I guess that's almost his "schtick" or whatever (his obsession with suits goes beyond Paul F. Tompkins and borders on weirdness). I can tolerate him when he's on NNF and when there are good guests on Jordan Jesse Go, but otherwise he really sucks the life out of me

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Mister J posted:

I have a similar feeling about Scott Aukerman, really. He's got a lot of really good writing credits, but I just don't find him to be terribly funny, or a terribly good broadcaster. The quality is really dependent on the guest. You want a boring rear end 20 minutes, check out the first part of the CDR episode with Nick Thune.

Plus, I loving can't stand most novelty songs, and he is just loving in love with them. His greatest asset seems to be that he just happens to have really funny friends.

Aukerman absolutely loves camp and lovely, lovely puns. And he seems to love to bomb, oddly; he likes to shoot for the absolute worst and lamest joke one can possibly make, and giggles hysterically at it. I love it.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I heard of Huell Howser from Carolla's days on Loveline, years ago. It lead me to Youtubing him a little while back and boy, Adomian is pitch-perfect.

Also I wonder how many people know that Adomian's food critic character is based on a real person?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

NecronSchmecron posted:

I had a feeling and it was when I heard Walking with Michelle with James Adomian that confirmed it. Is there a picture of this dude?

benito posted:

Also: listening to a bunch of these comedy podcasts, and all the "inside baseball" combined with occasional performance material among the standups has made me realize that Dr. Katz is really the prototype for much of what we're listening to, and it featured many of the same folks we're talking about.

Well, I think comedians doing bits on shows has been going on for a long time, long before Dr. Katz. I don't remember a lot of inside baseball on Dr. Katz, though.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

The_Rob posted:

The Nerdist is usually pretty fun as well. I am happy to see that Paul F. Tompkins actually has a podcast now, so I will be checking that out.

Speaking of both of those, PFT did the Nerdist this week, and it should be released soon.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

edit: Check out the Jimmy Dore and Todd Glass episode for the "FISHERMAN'S WHARF!" bit, which kills every time.

Greatest moment in podcast history.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Today's interview with Bob Odenkirk on Comedy Death Ray is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Amazing.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Hey, fans of NNF season one and/or Mike Schmidt: I made this in like 3 minutes on zazzle.com

Hopefully somebody gets the reference...

:thumbsup:

I think they also briefly sold a shirt based on that story afterwards.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Yannick_B posted:

You can listen to last year's instant classic conversation of Tom and Paul F Tompkins discussing the Gathering of the Juggalos right here: http://www.areasofmyexpertise.com/2010/02/happy-best-day/

Just finished with this; basically the best thing ever.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

COMPUTER SECRETS posted:

The latest CDR is amazing. Cake Boss is becoming one of the best.

Scott: "...no pun intended."
Cake Boss: "No pun taken!"

:allears:

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Carolla just doesn't know a lot of things to keep talking about one topic for very long. He repeats himself so much, even during the same conversation. As awful as the morning zoo-esque bits are on his podcast, it's better to have that than to have him ranting about Dora the Explorer again.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

BinaryW00kie posted:

This should go in the OP for the Carolla podcast information blurb.

Done.

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I hate that this topic is like some celebrity radio show blowfest, it's the reason actual good podcasts can't get listeners because everyone is always "Holy poo poo a celebrity is doing a podcast! Let's all listen!" Adam Carolla is the worst.

I like that every single one of your posts in this thread are just bashing professionals for doing podcasts. Carolla blows, yes, but basically every single other podcast hosted by a "celebrity" is great. No one gives a gently caress if they're famous or not, they care that they're funny, and the vast majority of the great podcasts are not hosted by a couple of unknown guys.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Tunk posted:

But the very best podcast IS hosted by a couple of unknown guys. Makes you think...

I wouldn't say Jimmy Pardo is unknown at all, but I could see that with Matt Belknap :smugdog:

nah
Mar 16, 2009

NecronSchmecron posted:

Jeez, PFT is everywhere this week. He's on the latest Never Not Funny. I'm not sure when the free drops, but the primo dropped today.

The combo of PFT and NNF is about as good as it gets

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Jimmy Pardo on Maron's podcast today. Could be un-comfor-tablay

nah
Mar 16, 2009

COMPUTER SECRETS posted:

If you like Todd Glass on CDR, you should listen to the first episodes of Comedy and Everything Else. I can't remember at what point he left the show, but he was there for a long time.

Speaking of, Todd is back this week on Comedy and Everything Else :allears:

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Bill Maher on Nerdist today. No clue how that will go.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

nemoulette posted:

After listening to every ep of Doug Loves Movies, I'm gonna have to pass. I mostly think his improv is pretty dull, and while some of his guests are alright most of them are just mid-tier Twitter-era comedians. I've noticed that stand ups often don't improv well together if they don't have styles that jive poorly, so to speak. I really enjoyed the actual game, just not the banter before it.

I don't think you have to pass, you've already listened to every single episode. Jesus.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

The Sklar Bros have such a great chemistry and rely on bits so much I can never tell when they're not doing bits anymore, which is actually pretty frequent. I guess that's a good thing?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I have no clue who Jon Dore is but he is absolutely amazing on the latest Sklarbro Country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Misusing literally is amazing

• Locked thread