Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Barrage posted:

Marc Maron's interview with Whitney Cummings was really insightful. It's hilarious that even with only the small tidbits Whitney allowed to get through, you can tell she fits the model of "damaged comic."

As a fan of comedy, WTF is a godsend.

I hate Carlos Mencia as much as anyone, but Maron's interviews with him are fascinating (episodes 75 and 76 iirc). They're not nearly as contentious as I thought they'd be, given the subject matter, and they kind of make you feel bad for Carlos. He's a hack and a thief, but he comes across as such a sad man and an empty vessel, and he seems to alienate everyone he's ever associated with. I guess he did a similar interview with Robin Williams that I'd love to hear, but it's not available in the archive that I could see.

WTF can be hit or miss in my opinion (I have a pretty low tolerance for existentialism and philosophy, and I think Maron indulges just a bit too much for my tastes), but he's done some really fantastic interviews. He can definitely bring a dumb celebrity interview into some amazing places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Is Tig Notaro actually a comedian? I've only experienced her on random podcasts and she's always goddamn death.

For what it's worth, I really think Sklarboro Country is pretty funny.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

What is the Cake Boss thing you all keep talking about? I feel like the specific source was mentioned earlier, but I can't find it.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I ran down Tig Notaro earlier, but the episode of CDR with her and Weird Al guest hosted by Paul F. Tompkins was pretty great. It's a pretty unlikely trio, but it was a great episode. The very next one with Matt Walsh and Nick Swardson was amazing, too (around 21 or 22, I think).

The episodes guest hosted by Jimmy Pardo are funny if only for his barely contained loathing of comedy music.

In short, this is a great thread, and thanks to turning me on to some great stuff.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I can't believe how ridiculously goddamn talented James Adomian is. His Paul Giamatti on CDR this week was hysterical.

"I'm just a one term bucket of poo poo with an rear end for a face! Goddammit!"

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The guys they get to do CDR are so freaking good. Cosby-Bukowski shouldn't be funny, it really shouldn't. Two of the hackiest things in the world are Cosby impressions and "why, this person shouldn't be cursing!?!" humor, but somehow Jon Daly and Nick Swardson made it awesome. And as filthy and sick and weird as I know Andy Daly to be, he still manages to get a "what the gently caress?" out of me whenever he's on the show.

Speaking of WTF (segue!), Maron's interview with Louis CK was one of the best things I've ever heard on a podcast. From the story about the birth of his daughter to Louis dressing Marc down for being such a lovely friend... I don't know. Words fail me, other than to say it was unbelievably good. WTF can be kind of dull at times, but when it's good, there's nothing better. I have little tolerance for celebrity interviews, but the man knows how to make someone interesting. Howard Stern gets a lot of credit for his ability as an interviewer, and rightly so in my opinion, but Marc Maron makes him look like Jay Leno in comparison.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Majorian posted:

I think he needs to do a separate podcast that's entirely Dame Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber.

And yeah, the Largo bits don't really work just as poorly-recorded audio clips without visuals.

I love love love the lost project so far, but his Garry Marshall impression in the latest edition was kind of lax. He was a lot funnier and more bombastic when he improved (improv'd?) him on that one episode of CDR. The way he yelled during the whole call was hilarious. I think we might be in for a John C. Reilly/Cake Boss call on the next podcast, so I can't friggin' wait!

There need to be more nerds in the world so Paul F. Tompkins can finally get the propers he deserves for being awesome and amazing. The goddamn Situation is a loving household name and this dude languishes in almost total obscurity. Stupid kids and their goddamn reality televisions.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

King Lou posted:

EDIT: Wow... This episode is really sucking actually. I mean too much music, reading out of the Birbiglia book and then Besser's terrible John Lennon bit really wearing on me. Also the whole Besser as Zuckerberg just doesn't have any punch. So not great.

I really don't like Besser on CDR. I'll give him all the credit in the world for being in UCB and all, but any time I've seen or heard him solo he's been pretty terrible. His Kanye East (ahahahaha it's a Jap version of Kanye West!) schtick during one of the Cyber Thug takeover shows was really loving painful. Cyber Thug's not one of my favorites anyway, which is weird since I'm a big fan of Jerry Minor, but that one was especially bad.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

caveman thug poo poo posted:

This DLM with Wee Man has to be one of the most consistently funny episodes I've heard. Totally wasn't expecting it.

Unless it was a total goof (it probably was) he went down, or "up" as he calls it, on Christy Canyon on Playboy Radio. He's a really fun and charming guy. They might be idiots, but the Jackass guys are nothing if not entertaining interviews.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

NecronSchmecron posted:

For a halfway decent comedian, Eddie Pepitone just doesn't "get it" half the time. He seems to build brick walls when people improv with him. I like the podcast he's on, but he is a clunker machine.

Are you saying he needs to be a Yes Ander, and not a No Butter?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

NecronSchmecron posted:

No, what I'm saying is that he can't believe it's not butter. :v:

How'd you like that poo poo "No, but"?

Were I a robot, the logic paradox contained therein would surely be the end of me. Were I.

That said, Eddie Pepitone sucks at improv.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 21, 2010

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Wyld Cannon posted:

ComedyDeathRayRadio-Garfunkel & Oates, Seth Morris, & Brendon Walsh - (first appearance of Bob Duka)

This is my favorite. Scott's not always the greatest host, but the way he freaked out on Bob to shut up shut up shut the gently caress up you're ruining my loving show! was a riot. There's not one Bob Duka appearance that sucks, and his list of ailments is especially funny, but that goofball list of names he gave in is one of my favorites. Sally Infant Death Syndrome.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

There was a guy recently on Rogan's podcast that did a pretty good Ice T. It was funny because he actually said "Nobody impersonates Ice T". Also, he did a Morgan Freeman that blew my mind.

I don't listen to Rogan's podcast, but if it's that one guy who does an actual good impression of Schwarzenegger (it's all in how you say "Galleyvawnyuh" apparently), he does a fantastic Morgan Freeman.

quote:

No word on whether or not he does John C. Reilly.

And honestly, who would outside of Paul?

Apropos of nothing, I was talking to a friend of mine about how goddamn hard it was to get a copy of "Cop Killer" when it first got banned. Like, it took weeks of asking everyone I know if they had a copy of the uncut Body Count album before I finally got it. Now it takes three seconds on YouTube to find it. Pardon my senior citizen "ain't the internet grand?" moment, but that's just magical to me.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 9, 2010

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I guess I'm a little confused on how any attention that might have brought him could or would be "unwanted". I could list a dozen obvious reasons why that's completely stupid, though Scott can be a tough guy to read at times and he just might be goofing around about the publicity. He pussyfooted around the whole MTV Awards controversy he was involved in, too.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The Banned posted:

I just realized Scott Aukerman is Theo Brixton in the It's Insane This Guy's Taint sketch on Mr. Show. I knew he was a writer and performed a bit, but I don't know how I didn't realize he was in one of my favorite bits.

For the uninformed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anm44OEkFFk&has_verified=1

He wrote that great sketch where they make fun of Eric Clapton's kid getting killed, too.

Huh, typing it out like that, it doesn't sound very funny at all...

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Dee: How do you even diddle a 3 month old? What can you possibly do to a 3 month old?
Lance: Are you asking me to imagine having sex with a 3 month old baby? I'm not partaking in that thought experiment.
(later)
Lance: I think you just kind of rub it around your parts.

Oh, wow. Maybe I'm a prude, but that pretty much kills any interest I might have had in listening to it.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The_Rob posted:

Jesus the latest CDR is cracking me up so loving hard. at around the halfway mark it just goes off the rails.

Can't wait to listen to this tomorrow. Adomian's Jesse Ventura doesn't get the love it deserves, and there's something so funny and endearing about PFT's Ice T. It sounds like it's going to be a perfect storm of idiocy.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

A line I loved from the new Sick & Wrong

WARNING, INSENSITIVE RACIAL JOKE if you get offended easily please do not read the following.

Dee(A jew) telling a story from work: It's weird for two reasons, one it involves someone who is superior to me.
Lance: An Aryan?

That's a very funny joke, and now you're just being silly.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

bananasinpajamas posted:

Also, Adam Carolla back on the Nerdist this week. First repeat guest? Anyway, it was loving awkward as hell last time when Carolla ranted about Sid and Marty Krofft for thirteen hours, wonder how it'll go this time

It wasn't awkward on Nerdist, it was awkward on his own show when he started in on the Kroffts to Dana Gould, who was actually working with them. I loved it because the Kroffts' stuff is universally and thoroughly without merit, and Hannah/Barbera didn't do very many good cartoons outside of Tom & Jerry (my favorite cartoon, and the H/B era was the best) and a few of their other earlier ventures. We need to stop pretending these guys were some amazing creative geniuses. Still seems a goofy thing to get into a frothing rage over. That's why I like the guy's show, though. Carolla can be a bit much sometimes, and I usually only half listen to his podcast, but when he's good and angry about something stupid, I get a huge kick out of him.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'd like a podcast of George Clooney and Julia Roberts telling us what they had for breakfast, then reading newspaper stories about baby rape. Little something for everyone.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I finally started listening to WTF, so a couple thoughts on the ones I've heard.
-Robin Williams seems like the saddest person in the world. Not pathetic, just really unhappy.
-Something about Maria Bamford makes me have a huge crush on her, despite her being twice my age and crazy.
-Marc Maron is a good interviewer, but his pre-interview ramblings are kind of irritating.
-The first Mencia interview made me feel really bad for him, but the second one disgusted me and made me dislike him even more than I did before.
-Maybe it was the lack of nicotene, but Marc acted like a huuuge rear end in a top hat in the Dane Cook episode. I mean I'm certainly not Dane's biggest fan, but holy poo poo.

-I got the opposite impression. He seemed nice and funny and pretty at peace with his place in the world, and his interview really made me like him.

-There's something irresistable to me about her, even though she is so loving nuts. I hate to qualify it like this, but she's my favorite Female Comedian.

-Maron's ramblings are sometimes my favorite thing about the show. It's like a bonus peek into his weird mind.

-Agreed on both counts. When he was talking about how he could ignite some kind of Mexican uprising, his act being so powerful, I wanted to loving hit him. And if I never hear Marc say "building your clown" again it'll be too soon.

-I'm no Dane Cook megafan or anything, but he strikes me as a likeable guy, and he's usually pretty positive and upbeat about his place in the comedy world. People really should leave him alone, if for no other reason than the whole Cook bashing thing is so goddamn cliche at this point.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 5, 2010

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

It may just be that I my only experience with Robin Williams is his more manic persona, so him being so quiet and reserved made him seem kind of depressed. His riffing about the day after a bender at the end was really darkly funny though. I'd really like to hear more from him in that vein.

I think Robin's standup ranges from cute to awful. The poo poo he did in the 70s was, in my opinion, terrible, though if you get a chance to catch some of it, you should. I don't like it, but a lot of people loved his early stuff, and it's just kind of interesting to see a coked to the loving gills Robin Williams yelling at an audience for 90 minutes. His dramatic work in film is truly something special, even if it's more in the so-called "dramedy" vein, and any time you hear him being more candid than schticky, like on his WTF spot, he comes across as a pretty dynamic guy who's wrestled with a lot of demons in his day. I've always liked his more vulnerable side, and he manages to really expose a lot of himself on WTF, and that's why I end up being such a fan of Marc Maron's show. When you go on there, you don't have a tendency to be such a "persona".

For the record, I really want the Branson rear end in a top hat that tried to buy his way onto WTF to make an appearance. It couldn't be anything short of magical.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Scott mentioned that CDR has been played on the Stern show twice, and I know that one of them was Zach Galifianakis alluding to Mel Gibson's involvement in Hangover 2. Anyone know what the other deal was? Only thing I can think of was the Bruno MTV "controversy", but I'm pretty sure that ain't it.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Evil Agita posted:

Patton Oswalt interview about Leno.

Oh yeah. Forgot that one. I've heard every CDR, but I honestly didn't start until about the late 60s, so it kinda slipped my mind.

iBrain.

e: poo poo, I'm gonna go listen to that one again now. What's everyone's opinion on Little Gary? I love him, but for some reason Thomas Lennon never makes it to the studio when he's on, and I love that guy.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 7, 2010

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Most people get over thinking that saying the grossest and most shocking things they can think are funny by the time they hit their 20s. My friends and I will have vulgar, inappropriate conversations pretty frequently, but it usually happens organically, and I don't think any of us would think it's funny or entertaining to anyone else.

I'm not saying the hosts aren't clever or funny on occasion, but most of it is a little too high school lunchroom for me.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Kodo posted:

Reminds me of that one CDR episode where Paul Sheer plays a stand-up whose daughter had been missing for several months.

Forgot about that one. That and his WTF appearance were my two favorite Scheer podcast appearances. The CDR with Kroll was great, just not my favorite.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Civil posted:

Huell Howser icing gooks while listening to CCR was a thing of beauty.

That was awesome, and the bit about giving the little piggies a bath in a bucket while the ducks massaged them started out a little LOL RANDOM, but turned out pretty funny.

Adomian's Christopher Hitchens impression is pretty good, but I can't say I busted a gut laughing over it. The Valentine's day bit was pretty spot on vocally and in spirit, but it never quite hit that plateau into greatness. Hitchens can be pretty ridiculous sometimes, but I don't know if he's a good persona to build a comedy routine around. I'll give him a lot of credit for trying something different though.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Valentine's Day show, 2010. I might have to give it another listen, since it seems to be getting so much love.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

bananasinpajamas posted:

Comedy Death Ray - the TV show. Premieres tonight on IFC :stare:

Whoa, thanks for the heads up. Never knew there was going to be one.

e: Doesn't show up on the cable guide for tonight or tomorrow. You sure it was this week?

The new Paul F. Tompcast is up, by the way.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 3, 2011

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Wyld Cannon posted:

All three games on CDR are great - Would You Rather, What Am I Thinking, Jukebox Jury - What Am I Thinking is a really easy but fun game so you can get anyone to play.

God, I miss Jukebox Jury. The horrible music, Scott getting angry about it, the guests trying to be polite and find something nice to say about it... I guess Scott wasn't kidding around when he said he loathed it.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

You take shits out that booty?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I loving love when CDR Radio gets absurd.

PARAPHRASING:

"He just yells 'YOLK FROM EGG' whenever he gets angry or excited. You know which one he is from his inflection"
"What about if he's neutral?"
"....He mouths it."

That is one of my new favorite episodes. Every time I think I've plateaued in my love of Paul F Tompkins, he does something new and amazing. I like the Tompkast well enough, but he seems to really shine as a guest rather than a host.

Was anyone else startled to hear him say "gently caress" so much?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

To be fair, it might have gotten better - I couldn't make it past the first 30 minutes. He just sounded super-pretentious and self-important to me.

Mind you, I generally like Rollins (I've seen his spoken word live 4 times over the past 15 years) but I guess I like him better when he's being jokey and a little self-deprecating.

I'm with you. I don't think the interview could've lived up to my expectations of it, but I was still a little disappointed. I'm definitely a Marc Maron fan, and Rollins was very important to me when I was an angry young jerk, but the interview just didn't click with me.

I thought the WTF with Paul Tompkins was fantastic, though.

Did anyone ever get around to making a Best Show thread? I didn't see it anywhere, not that I was looking all that hard.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Groucho Marxist posted:

So Carl LaBove, who was Sam Kinison's opening act and best friend, was on WTF this week. This episode to was a testament to Maron's interviewing skills to me, I couldn't care less about Kinison and yet he had me on the edge of my seat about his estate and secret child.

Great episode. Carl's recounting of his suicide attempt was disturbingly funny. Felt bad for the guy, but he's a drat good story teller.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

j8910 posted:

Speaking of comedians we don't get, does anyone find Reggie Watts funny? I at least see why people like Jimmy Pardo, if I don't find him that great. Reggie Watts, I don't even get that he's telling jokes. All his songs are lame.

He's not like a top 10 favorite or anything, but I think his music is kinda fun, and his live performances are very innovative. He seems like a pretty charming and funny guy on anything I've seen or heard him on.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I can't see "How Did This Get Made?" getting any better. They still haven't figured out how to stop stepping all over each other, and the frequency with which Jason says "literally" is obnoxious. Worst of all, they really don't seem to have any kind of funny insights into the movies very often, aside from "And how about when Nicholas Ca...?!" "THAT WAS CRAZY I WAS LITERALLY LIKE 'OK WHAT IS GOING ON HERE'!" Blechh, no thank you. I thought it would've been a lot better with Paul Scheer involved.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Yannick_B posted:

Yeah, all being creative people, I was expecting them to get more into the nuts and bolts of why is something terrible.

Exactly. I know they're busy people and all (well, Paul is anyway), but it seems like two weeks is enough time to come up with more substantial material than "did you see that poo poo ain't that crazy" type stuff. Also, their conceit that they're not making GBS threads on someone's work for the sake of making GBS threads on it is stupid since they then spend an hour making GBS threads on something for the sake of making GBS threads on it.

I dunno, I don't want to bag on them or anything since I'm a fan of just about everyone who's been involved, but it doesn't seem like they do any kind of prep outside of agreeing to see the same movie, watching it, and gathering some emails.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Why put this on Comedy Central? There's no way this will appeal to their audience. Good luck, I guess. I'd love for it to be a smash hit, but there's no way in hell.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Jet Jaguar posted:

I would also enjoy Judge John Hodgman more if it had a Jesse Thorn-ectomy. The only place I can tolerate Jesse Thorn is when he does random fantasy league picks on Sklarbro Country.

I've only heard Jesse Thorn on Sklarbro Country. Is that the way he talks all the time, with that yuk-yuk voice and delivery? It works for the fantasy expert bits with the Sklars, but I could see that getting really loving annoying in a hurry.

It's like a blend of Neil Hamburger and Ryan Seacrest all way the gently caress amped up on SURGE!.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Tenik posted:

Does Carlos Mencia just upload other people's podcasts?

Boom.

So I finally let you dicks talk me into giving UYD a shot. I've heard the first five and it's pretty good. So, thanks. Dicks.

• Locked thread