Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

bananasinpajamas posted:

Doug Loves Movies - http://feeds.feedburner.com/DougLovesMovies
Oh god, this. This. Doug Loves Movies is litterally one of the highlights of my week because it's always hilarious and Doug always has fantastic guests. The live audience definitely complements the show, so much so that the lack of an audience in the last couple weeks (the show was recorded at Pardo's Never Not Funny studio) sort of impairs the overall quality. But my god it's hysterical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I listened to one Comedy Death Ray podcast. It was Brian Posehn,and some guy playing a disgusting Food Critic Character. It was funny, but it seemed unnatural, or at least inorganic which is really the only format I like these podcasts in. Something about it turned me off and I haven't gone back since.

Its just weird hearing Doug sing the praises of Comedy Death Ray when the styles of the two podcasts are so completely different.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I guess I just don't like people playing characters on radio/podcasts. When I listened to the Adam Carolla podcast I skipped any episode with Van Stone or that fake Republican guy. I like it when people are funny being themselves :shobon:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Okay, I may have misjudged Comedy Death Ray.

I downloaded a show from July with Paul F. Thompkins, Todd Glass and a character named August Lindt, a german tourist.

That was utterly hysterical.

So, that's 1 for 2. Anyone have any suggestions for specific CDR shows to catch?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

I think this is one of the funnier episodes because Nick Kroll is hilarious and Jon Hamm is really really loving sharp when it comes to comedy.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/episode-12-howard-kremer-jon-hamm-nick-kroll
e: Oh yeah, you get some Dragon Boy Suede too!
And Doug Benson!

Downloadin this

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

The_Rob posted:

Brett Gelman reading I-Brain continues to be one of the funniest things I have ever heard, and the play was so goddamn funny. I had to pause a few times, because I kept missing things.
Oh man I just listened to that yesterday and I nearly crashed my car.

What surprised me the most was that Little Gary remained funny for the whole show. I could listen to him mispronounce things all day.

Also Patten Oswalt is the smartest stand-up in the business.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

caveman thug poo poo posted:

e: also by my "it's a good one" comment I really just meant it's on par with all the other episodes 'cause I haven't really heard a bad one. There's just something about the podcast that works even though it's super unprofessional and Doug is a forgetful stoner.. it's just all the more endearing.
I chuckle at the start of every episode when he says "Hi everybody! I'm Doug, and I love movies!"

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

red19fire posted:

I used to love The Adam Carolla Podcast, but the new format kills me. It strikes me as hypocritical, considering how much he used to rant about how awful morning radio shows are, that the new format is essentially morning radio. What were once great podcasts of hour long interviews has essentially become a morning radio show with insipid 20 minute interviews, constantly interrupted by idiotic news stories from Florida and fart sounds from the soundboard. He does tend to poo poo on everyone around him, because he's THE ONLY PERSON IN THE UNIVERSE WITH COMMON SENSE.
If they've moved towards that format I may actually start listening again. Adam's morning radio show was the best morning show I've ever heard, and it was a drat shame when it got canceled and the entire station changed to a Top 40 format.

The hour long interview format got on my nerves because Adam's attention span is too short and he ends up spinning off into rants about his loathesome politics. He always griped about being confined by the radio format, but honestly without some structure, he's virtually unlistenable.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

WoG posted:

Yeah, an hour of ~75% adam was too much adam. Far better to have 90+ mins of 99% adam.

gently caress his morning zoo bullshit (a wacky sfx board? really?). I grabbed any ep with a decent guest under the old format, but if I wanted to listen to FM time-killing during my commute, I could've saved some money on my ipod input.
Bald Bryan's sfx board was great though. Not as great as the one from Loveline, but Loveline had the greatest drops in the history of radio so that's not a fair comparison.

EDIT: And again, the morning show had more stuff in it. It had like 2 news segments that bookended the show, and in between it had some great segments. I stand by it, but it takes all kinds.

You can't judge.

In other news:

I just listened to the latest CDR, and its won me over. I'm sorry I doubted it. The Cake Boss is one of the funniest things I've ever heard, period. Was that Paul F. Tompkins?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Borrego posted:

Man I just can't get into Adam Carolla ever since I first heard the 3rd episode of the Nerdist. Adam went off about Rankin Bass and Hanna Barbara and overreacted for well over 15 minutes on how evil and disgusting the cartoons and their creators are. Chris Hardwick and his 2 cohosts just seemed shocked about the whole thing. They even mention about it briefly in the Drew Carrey episode I think. Is this some sort of bit he does or is he generally this unlikable?
Adam feels as if his entire childhood and adolescence was one long, uninterrupted assault of his mind and soul.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
For CDR, what's the first episode with the Cake Boss?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

The_Rob posted:

rodeo for the poor.
I think you just mean "rodeo".

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

goldrush posted:

That whole episode was magical. Even before the Would You Rather segment I was laughing my rear end off at the "Cake Boss" going on about how he had been bitten by a cake scarab and could communicate with the dead
At the beginning of that segment he talked about building a cake with R2D2 and C3PO playing pool and then R2D2 came alive because they used too much cinnamon was impossibly hilarious.

Which is the episode where John Hamm and PFT as John C. Reilly have the acting contest?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

Episode 34, around 44 minutes.
I just listened to a man impersonate John C. Reilly for a half an hour. I didn't even think that was possible. Paul F. Tompkins is some kind of wunderkind.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The only song that CDR played that ever really made me laugh was one where a guy was playing an acoustic guitar and singing a soft, breathy song and gradually falls asleep because of how dull his own music is, and eventually falls off his chair.

Johnathan Coulton on Nerdist was good stuff. He and Hardwick have great chemistry.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Nick Swardson was hilarious on Doug Loves Movies. Though I was literally screaming at my iPod when he didn't get Back to the Future III in the Leonard Malton Game.

Also I did not know that David Holmes is gay.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Nerdist Podcast on Doug Loves Movies.

Its like christmas.

The joke about Crispin Glover in Back to the Future II is one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I just went back and listened to the Nerdist #10 with Adam Savage. I did not expect him to be as dirty as he is.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

webster876 posted:

Birbiglia's part of the newest This American Life is my favorite Birbiglia so far. Also, I absolutly LOVE that podcasts are recognized as such a viable form of media that they now have a circuit. First everybody from The League was on CDR, DLM, The Nerdist, now Mike Birbiglia is doing TAL, CDR and Nerdist. Has it always been like this, at least for established comedians? Or is this new?
It could be coincidence that Birbiglia's story was on TAL, because it was recorded ages ago and actually has already been aired on the show. I think the episode is a repeat, but I don't recognize the other stories so they might just have plucked his bit from another episode because it fit the theme.

I hope one day TAL does an episode that's just a compilation of Birbiglia's bits because they're my favorite (along with Hodgeman).

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Oh man Zach Galifianakis is the best guest because he is also the worst guest. Half the time he does any sort of performance, including his stand-up, he's doing Kaufman schtick and is intentionally difficult and self-loathing. He has an amazing stand-up special which is him drunkedly bombing intercut with a interview with his gay twin brother (also played by Galifianakis) about their estranged relatioship.

Also PFT really sells those impressions.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The Midget bait and switch on DLM was spectacular.

The "Jackass Alums" category in the Len Malton game was also great.

"...So it's really just Johnny Knoxville movies."

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Were people saying that Mike Birbiglia was boring on Nerdist? Because I'm really enjoying this show. Even though he does talk like he just downed a bottle of Quaaludes.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I finally queued up the CDR with Cosby-Bukowsky.

On the one hand I feel like I'm missing part of the self-explanatory joke of the character, but on the other hand I really don't care.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Steve Slavery posted:

The amount of stupidity in this interview was at an all time high... relationship with dirt? What the hell are they talking about? The technology that allows some of us to not be dirty when we come home from work didn't exist 100 loving years ago.

The reason our GDP was high 100 years ago has little to do with people being dirty, it's because we were PRODUCING things.
Adam knows nothing about history and even less about economics. It wouldn't be so bad if people called him on it now and then but he surrounds himself with people who never disagree with him. His relentless supply side economics was one of the factors that drove me away from his show.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Steve Slavery posted:

I have a feeling that all his ideas of how the past was are based on old TV shows, and all of his ideas on how modern kids/people are is based on reality TV.

In reality the past sucked, and the present for everyone in the country almost always sucks less.
It's something like that, because it most certainly isn't based on his own childhood, which was plagued by apathy rather than poverty or tragedy. It's really infuriating and after listening to him ramble on ignorantly for a year I finally quit his podcast. It's not worth the headaches and irritation.

Adam needs to go back to carpentry or yelling at teenagers to wear condoms because that's literally all he's qualified to do. That or get someone like Dr Drew back on his show as a check to his raging ignorance.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Didn't Tig Notaro poo poo up Doug Loves Movies too?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

FuriousGeorge posted:

The first part of this episode is great, too. I really liked how PFT's Ice-T bit went on so long and so deep that it kind of morphed from a comedy sketch into a Casual Conversation with Ice-T.
I downloaded this episode based on your recommendation. PFT continues to impress me with his range of unexpectedly mundane impersonations. Everyone can do Shatner and Walken, but Ice-T? The man is a savant.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I just listened to my first Uhh Yeah Dude yesterday, show 243. You all were saying you have to listen to them from the beginning but I keyed into their humor and chemistry immediately, and it was pretty great. Them talking about axe/tag body spray had me in hysterics.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The best thing about the Leonard Maltin Game is Doug's clues that make the questions harder.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Okay can someone tell me which CDR episodes have Bob Ducca in them? I keep reading these descriptions and I've found I have to start skipping them because I don't want to have all the jokes ruined for me.

EDIT: Also I listened to the 09 Black Friday episode with Michael Cera and Harris Whiten. Ice-T is probably my favorite character now.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Bob Ducca's list of ailments in 50.2 nearly crashed my car.

"Parkinson's Disease...Valet Parkinson's Disease...Parallel Parkinson's Disease...Parker Posey Pox."

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
He's also been very liberal in the past on gay rights and birth control. He was pretty well on the left during Loveline, and then he became a (literal) millionaire and immediately transitioned to being an economic conservative.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I have a strange relationship to (Andy Daly's?) Huel Hauser. He was hilarious at first, and then he sorta got old for me, but now I realize the true, maniacal genius of the impression: he's created a distilled essence of the person, a character whose entire world view boils down to "If you give someone a microphone they will talk into it" and "California is full of gold, and it is fascinating!"

Whenever he delves into race relations its pretty hilarious too.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

The_Rob posted:

Huell Howser will never get old for me ever. I grew up watching California Gold in school, so it really has a special place in my heart.
See, I'm from New England so I had no idea who Huel Hauser was. Loveline actually introduced me to him; there were a few clips from his show as drops (the most common one being "Now this is wonderful!"), and then later on Adam's morning show with Dana Gould. Gould actually does a pretty great impression of Huel and he and Adam had some bits that gave me stomach cramps from laughing too hard, but James Adomian's impression is a lot more complete and refined.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I maintain that Billy West is the funniest sounding person in the world. And not even when he does voices. His normal speaking voice is a cartoon character.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Yannick_B posted:

Oh my, Tonight's Best Show (still in play) has John Hodgman and Tom Scharpling getting blitzed on FourLoko and it is nothing less than amazing.
Okay this is from a couple pages back but I listened to this on a busride to New York and it nothing short of transcendent. Hodgman hawking microfiche machines to library science students had be in convulsions.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Don Dimelo is my new favorite CDR character.

...send in the girls

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
El Chupacabra really kinda devolved into a maniac at the end of holiday show.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Majorian posted:

And also that Josh Malina pretty much literally expired on stage and therefore didn't get to be as crushingly snarky as I know he can be.
That did set up some pretty good jokes about the Malina virus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I didn't know that Thomas Lennon was the voice of Lil Gary until his last appearance. I'm still stunned whenever I hear it.

I'm glad that the John Hamm vs John C. Reilly Acting-Off won for best PFT moment. The part that kills me each time is when John C. Reilly's turn starts and Doug Benson immediately interrupts him, forcing him off on a winding tirade.

Kramer-Fonzie needs some work though. Lot of Kramer, not much Fonzie.

• Locked thread