Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
My bad; I was obviously projecting something that only exists in my sweetest fever dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Which episode is the Christopher Hitchens Waterboarding?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Bro Dad posted:

If you're looking for a new podcast I definitely recommend The Bugle but maybe that's because I have a huge crush on John Oliver.

"BP spills out out oil like John Grisham makes novels, indiscriminately and at an incomprehensible scale."
The Bugle perfectly uses its half hour format and I'm really glad that it doesn't last longer. Each show is a perfectly refined little capsule of comedy, and the reams of bullshit that Andy and John are capable of producing are awe inspiring.

I'd think it's largely a given that anyone who likes comedy podcasts should listen to it.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The Nerdist with Kevin Smith is about the funniest episode they've done, so it's turned me on to SModcast and Jay and Silent Bob Get Old. Any suggestions on where to start with those two?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Hahahaha! Darth Pussy!
Well, maybe not that one bit in particular. But the rest was brilliant, especially the breakdown of Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Pizza Terrorist was amazing, though not really for that bit; what killed me are the 15 minute riffs of Smith demonstrating how he talks in a party while stoned, and then Scott Moser's self-righteous Canadian. They just kept going on and on and on and getting deeper into it. What a riot.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Adam was great on Loveline and on the radio show because both of those programs had an imposed structure, and even though Adam constantly railed against structured shows, they proved that without structure he just spins off in his ranting and narcissism until what he says isn't relevant or interesting to anyone except himself. As much as he hates producers, he really needs someone with a perspective outside of his own world telling him what works and what does not.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Can I just say that I love that El Chupacabra's closing bit at the end of each Earwolf podcast?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

NecronSchmecron posted:

Fans of The Best Show, Tom Scharpling is on CDR radio today. I'm personally not a huge fan, but many of my friends and you goons are.

Oh and Weird Al. Never thought I'd hear him say the words "baby raping".
I don't find Weird Al all that funny when he's on podcasts. He's too reserved and straight forward and chill. He's interesting to talk to but doesn't live up to his identity I guess.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Brett Gelman is the best non-character CDR guest. Although to a certain extent his character is Brett Gelman. His moral outrage at "Is This News Story Real or False?" and frantic backpeddling during the ending of "Would You Rather?" utterly ruined me.

I'm glad he's unbanned now. Though for how long?!

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Colin Hanks on the Nerdist is pretty great. That guy is so amiable that it's a crying shame he can't get anything going in Hollywood.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I'm about 20 minutes into the latest CDR and Marissa Wompler is already shaping up to be my favorite female character. Which to be fair is a pretty short list but nevermind. Is Jessica St. Clair actually 15 years old?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Boners boners boners boners

I must be 12 years old because I keep laughing whenever Andy Richter talks about boners.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I love that James Adomian's Paul Giamatti always refers to himself in the third person.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Oh my god, the Paul Giamatti Repeater Explosion

Never in my life would I have expected to hear something like that.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I want Jeff Garlin to be on DLM every week.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I hope he decides to bring back What's Up Hotdog. I literally use that catchphrase every day and my life feels empty without it.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
McLovin kept pace with him. Dave Foley got rolled over but that's kind of his nature.

I'm glad that Monkeybone is getting the attention it deserves though.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

I'm slowly listening to all of the CDR podcasts. At number 18 right now. Do they eventually stop playing comedy records? I can't stand comedy songs and that's the only knock I have against the show. But I just skip them so it's no big deal, I guess.
Less and less as it goes on. In the current shows its mostly used as a device to split up the show since the format is still rooted in actual radio.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

The_Rob posted:

Dino Stamatopolus is on WTF today. I am excited for this. He has written for some great comedy shows, plus it's Starburns.
Oh lord I need to listen to this. Moral Orel is one of the most emotionally staggering things I've ever watched on TV.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
You know, I don't think I fully, truly appreciated Comedy Death Ray until today. I'm listening to Jack from the Lumber Yard and getting destroyed by laughter at non-jokes. The staggering gall and performance of it is enough to send me into fits.

I get the feeling that it's the future of comedy.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

I love Hodgman; seen him live a few times. I just, for reasons beyond rational explanation, cannot stand Jessie Thorn even for a second. I really wish "Were you Aware of It!?" was about an hour per episode.
Did you listen to the Best Show where he and Tom are drinking Four Lokos?

Funniest drat thing I've ever heard. I listened to it on a busride to New York and probably got a lot of weird looks from people.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Yannick_B posted:

Hodgman and Tom were hopped up on Four Loko, Hodgman asked a caller, also drinking it; "What flavour are you rocking, my sweet loko bro?" Its the best.
The best was when Hodgman was describing the flavor of the stuff he was drinking. At one point he said something to the tune of "It's like if you asked a robot to create a flavor." At another: "It tastes like there's a corroded battery." Then as the stuff starts to really kick in he talks about wanting to go to a MMA fight and to run outside and shake the building down.

Also, Microfiche machines. My god. Also they sing christmas carols.

Thanks for the tip on "Judge John Hodgman". I actually remember him talking about it on the Best Show but didn't look into it. I started listening to the most recent one about Potluck Parties on the way to the work and the truth of his words is blinding. I actually found myself enthusiastically agreeing with him that the milk in cereal is neither broth nor beverage nor sauce but rather an ingredient in the recipe of "cereal with milk."

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I'm gonna start referring to milk as "incomplete bechemel sauce"

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Oh god

Listen to the Judge John Hodgman episode "Cone-tractual Dispute". Hodgman calls out the defendant for being a massive, relentless hipster and its pretty clear throughout the episode that he resents the guy on a visceral level.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Harris Wittles as Jack from the Lumberyard broke by sense of humor

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Doug Loves Movies is probably the most stand-upy show out there. Its recorded in front of a live audience and that atmosphere really influences the overall feel of the show for the better. Doug Benson has a staggering array of comedy friends and will almost always have one or two comics on each episode.

Comedy Death Ray is maybe the best show for showcasing raw comic talent. It's not stand-up, its more like improv theater. It mixes guests with characters and eerily accurate impersonations, and not just easy stuff like Christopher Walken and Bill Shatner. I'm talking about John C. Reilly, Ice-T, Huel Hauser and most recently Alan Rickman. Its kinda goofy a lot of the time but once you get into the show's rhythm and style it can blow you away.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It took me two or three episodes to really "get" CDR, but now it's my favorite podcast. Listen to a few, find some guests you like, get all their episodes and end up finding new favorites, repeat. Anything with Seth Morris as Bob Ducca or James Adomian as pretty much anybody is golden.
This is my experience as well. The first episode I listened to was Brian Posehn with James Adomian. Adomian was doing his food critic character and it was incredibly unpleasant to listen to. He's rightly hated in my opinion. I gave it a second chance and it was okay, and then I listened to the episode with Patten Oswalt and Brett Gelman, and almost crashed my car when Brett recited iBrain.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I like that Scott is sticking with Hot Saucerman. It was pretty hilarious hearing him come up with it kind of on the spot.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Sounds like you're looking for WTF with Marc Maron.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Ograbme posted:

Huel Howser, the guy with lots of ailments, and the iBrain guy are the only ones I like.
The iBrain one was Brett Gelman. He's not a character, he's an actual person. Though in his case the line is sorta blurred.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Kim Jong Il posted:

Hard for a Monday morning to get much better than Conan on WTF (about halfway through this now while getting ready). Now I just refreshed my reader and CDR has Patton Oswalt and Andy Daly doing Don Dimelo (the hilarious broadway producer character).

Today owns.
bring out the girls

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

soggybagel posted:

The goddamn pussy pasties and everything that Daly did were great.
Patent pending.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Penis envy posted:

12/16/2010: The Four Loko party, do not miss this one
It cannot be over emphasized how amazing this show is.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I'm working through UYD from the beginning and my favorite catchphrase is "get up in your guts" used as a metaphor for sex, and also abortion. It's...evocative.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I've only listened to about 45 minutes of Comedy Bang Bang but Paul Scheer's character is kinda boring me. Maybe its because every Paul Scheer character just sounds like Paul Scheer with like a chest cold.

But if Chupa and Huel Hauser are here then I am on board.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Creflo Chronicle posted:

He's only on for about 5 minutes, you'll be fine.
Yeah you weren't kidding

I should know that whenever Huel Hauser appears on the show then something is going down.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Capsaicin posted:

gently caress, Michael Rooker is such a weird loving dude.
Sean Gunn really played well off him. "Name any movie!"

Ellen Page seems so out of place on the show though. Doug obviously invites her on because he can but it's just weird.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

Good god, the "Who Said It?" theme kills me every single time.
I like Andy Richter's reaction to it.

"You have the gall to accuse other people of wasting airtime!"

The Nerdist with Patton Oswalt reminds me of why he's my favorite stand-up comedian. He knows everything and everyone in comedy and has a wealth of very informed, very interesting thoughts and opinions on the field. Also that show kinda makes me want to play DnD with them and Posehn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Well now I know what Sarah Silverman's vagina looks like.

Thanks Doug Loves Movies. Thanks for that.

• Locked thread