Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

KING OF BLOGOSPHERE posted:

How many of the comedy death rays have people doing characters? I listened to 63 and 62 after hearing how many people rave about it, and they were both awesome for the first 30 minutes and then some lame jerk came in doing a dumb character and completely ruined the rest of the show.
Your results may vary, but I just about hurt myself laughing at the Bjork character in #15 (it starts about 37 minutes in), I have no idea who did it but it was one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time (it helps if you've heard the really weird Billy Bob Thornton interview with that Canadian radio guy a while back).

I just started listening to the CDR podcasts after finally catching up on Marc Maron's (I started that one from the beginning too), and it's my new favorite. Scott Aukerman plays a great straight man for the character bits.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Strange Matter posted:

The only song that CDR played that ever really made me laugh was one where a guy was playing an acoustic guitar and singing a soft, breathy song and gradually falls asleep because of how dull his own music is, and eventually falls off his chair.
That song is awesome, I've heard it played a couple times now but it just gets funnier each time. I'm pretty sure it's a parody of Iron and Wine or at least that style of low key indie music in general, I think it's called Irony and Whine but I'm not sure and I have no idea who did it. I'd love to dig it up so I could download it for myself, but searching for variations of that doesn't turn up anything.

Jimmy Pardo's only hosted a few episodes so far, but he's pretty vocal about not caring for comedy songs either, and avoids playing them as much as possible. He introduced me to a non-comedy song that I absolutely love, Simon Scardanelli's Fish out of Water. I went and bought it on Itunes after hearing the show.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Mast posted:

It's by Mike Phirman.
Haha that's it, thanks! http://music.mikephirman.com/track/irony-wine

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

DangerDummy! posted:

Is Tig Notaro actually a comedian? I've only experienced her on random podcasts and she's always goddamn death.
That's her standup gimmick basically, it really doesn't lend itself to improv or normal conversation.

The Doug Loves Movies she was on was especially painful, she single-handedly brought the show to a dead stop several times. I guess it can be kind of funny to be the monkey wrench in the works under the right circumstances, but when everyone else is just having fun and riffing about movies and stuff it's really terrible and unfunny.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Holy poo poo. I just found a Merill Shindler video. James Adomians Impression is absolutely spot on.
Oh wow, I did the same, I thought it was hilarious even before I knew he was a real guy. Ever since I've listened to that I can't eat something without giving it a Merrill Shindler breakdown in my head. For instance there's these wonderful little mustard shrimp cutlets I just had for supper, they're a sort of buttery, mustardy, shrimpy flavor...

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I posted it earlier on in the thread, but I figure, in case anyone just wants to give it a quick try, I humbly suggest Ask Mr Biggs. I wouldn't repost if it wasn't a fantastic-yet-infrequent-podcast/show.
This show is subtly brilliant and needs to be mentioned again, thanks for posting it (the boomerang of gratitude has come back to you). I just started listening, and it took me a couple episodes to really get into it, but I love it.

It's also worth mentioning how really well it's recorded, the audio quality is excellent, and there's a lot of low-key background stuff going on constantly throughout the episodes that isn't necessary but really enhances the comedy.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyway, do you have any problems subscribing/downloading their stuff from iTunes? It won't let me get the old episodes from there anymore, and the new one doesn't show up.
I've had to download them all straight from the Itunes store page directly, for some reason subscribing doesn't seem to work. I checked the podcast URL in the subscription feed and that seems to be correct, it just doesn't let me download anything that way.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Oh man, this day started off really lovely but got so much better when I got to listen to both a Lithgow episode of DLM AND a new Pod F. Tompkast. They were both fantastic.

Also if Paul F. Tompkins had mentioned it before I missed it, but he's confirmed now that his episodes will be coming out on the first of every month. Now I can stop mashing the update button every day!

Mierenneuker posted:

A great episode of DLM, but I could have done without the Dexter season 4 spoilers not related to Lithgow's character.
It really didn't seem like that big of a deal, the details were vague. I actually wasn't completely sure if they were joking. I'm currently watching the beginning of Season 4 and it didn't bother me at all, if anything it made me more interested to see exactly what happens next. Then again spoilers in general have never bothered me, if a show is ruined by one plot twist being revealed too early then it's probably not worth watching.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Paul F. Tompkins and his wife were on the latest Dork Forest (Jackie Kashian's podcast). They nerd out about clothing accessories and older video games a bit. I really can't get into the other shows so far, but this one was interesting.

The show itself focuses on really specific and, well, dorky topics, which is the point, but it makes it really hit and miss to listen to. One of the recent ones is just talking about Broadway musicals for the whole show, which I couldn't get into at all.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Wyld Cannon posted:

One of my all time favorite CDR's is when Besser was playing Bjork and was just kind of whispering really weird, mean things about people (ep also had Steve Agee and some chick I can't recall).
Oh god that was hilarious, that was one of my favorite character bits they've done on the show. Natasha Leggero is the other guest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLDIKsWmSKw

edit: it really makes it even funnier if you're familiar with the infamous Billy Bob Thornton interview from a year or so ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJWS6qyy7bw

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 16, 2010

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

That was such a great episode. I did love how Marc was ribbing him a little bit about the "you've stolen my ESSENCE" thing, but at the end of it you really feel like you get a different perspective on the guy.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

If you've never had a chance to watch the magic that is Huell Howser you've been missing out. I first heard about his show from listening to Loveline, where Adam Carolla would always talk about it.

Huell Howser visits the Bagdad Cafe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImpGsMenmSs

There's a bunch more on Youtube but that's probably the best. The punchline to the Burt Lancaster painting is priceless.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Anal Volcano posted:

Warning: newest CDR contains Wire spoilers in the form of rap :smith:
If you're seriously bothered by someone talking about minor characters on a show that's been over for a couple years being killed then you probably shouldn't listen to anything or go on the internet. Holy poo poo.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Wyld Cannon posted:

I just started listening to Uhh Yeah Dude, and I'm not exactly sure what I think yet.
Yeah I couldn't get into this show at all, and since it's a podcast and not some kind of marathon I don't feel any desire to stick with it. The guys have decent chemistry, but I have no idea who they are and find it hard to care about what they have to say, plus I'm not a big fan of the kind of format where people basically just riff on news stories. And one thing that absolutely started driving me insane from the start is how the one guy would constantly jump in and repeat the other guy's last sentence "Deal with it" "DEAL with it!".

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Jay and Silent Bob Get Old has been a really good listen so far. The first 8 episodes or so are all about the story of Jason Mewes and his addiction problems, which he's told before on his blog. It's a crazy tale and Kevin Smith is a really good storyteller. I'm just starting in on the newer episodes so I'm not quite sure how the content is going to be from here, but if you've ever read "Me and My Shadow" and liked it, definitely give the earlier shows a listen.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Those are some awesome image macros
Also some pretty sweet photoshops on the photos page

It's almost like these guys are trying to shock people the way DJs at some kind of radio show might, mayhaps one that runs in the morning and has a wacky "zoo"-like format?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

No you don't get it, these are the "indie guys who are doing it much better", especially better than all those lovely celebrities and their morning zoos, did I mention how much I hate them yet? No way those guys could bring you in your face comedy like this

Edgy as gently caress, watch out you don't get cut!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

CDR Thanksgiving episode is up! Todd Barry is always great and also I saw this:

quote:

We are thankful for the band Don't Stop or We'll Die and proud that they chose CDR Radio to world-premiere their newest single.
This should be good, these guys are awesome.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

New CDR up!

quote:

Kevin Nealon,Sarah Silverman,Tig Notaro,Jon Daly,Jerry Minor,Miles Archer
I've only been listening about a year (and I guess they've only been recording about a year) but I love this time of year, they've got so many great guests. Now with a Paul F. Tompkins on that list it'd be almost perfect.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

King Lou posted:

Tig Notaro continues to do her focus stealing nonsense. I wish she would stick to her storytelling and not trying to be funny off the cuff since that consists entirely of trying to derail other peoples stories or her own inside jokes with herself.
Normally I'd be completely with you on this, and I think she ruined Doug Loves Movies the times she's been on, but she was winning me over with today's CDR. Scott handles her comedic style very well, and I think her derailments work much better in the weirder environment of CDR than in a more loose and conversational show like Doug's is.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

brainsforbrains posted:

Does anybody know when the first Cyberthug/Archer podcast will drop? Can't wait to hear Nick Swardson on that one.
I'm thinking they were just loving around and this isn't a real thing. I hope I'm wrong though, it would be amazing!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

HipGnosis posted:

I love the PFT Cake Boss. He always sounds worried.
That's because of the large number of elaborate cakes everyone is expecting him to make in such a limited amount of time!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Majorian posted:

Weirdly enough, I laugh the hardest when people comment on the theme fanfare, ie: PFT as ALW "conducting" it, or Greg Proops thinking they were being invaded by the Carthaginians.
I love it when he turns it into some kind of battle of wills to see how long he can keep the theme music going until either he or one of the guests can't take it anymore and says something.

Cyberthug Radio is fantastic, I have never been happier to be wrong about something (I didn't think it was going to be an actual thing).

Also Mayhem Miller was on the Nerdist today, that guy always brings it no matter what show he's on. I'm usually completely repelled by anything to do with MMA, but this guy is funny and cool and not the gigantic musclehead I tend to (probably unfairly) associate with the sport and it's awful fans, who tend to sport TapOut shirts and douchebag attitudes (which is something they make fun of on the show).

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

yancy2010 posted:

Any other podcasts similar to this aside from CDR, Nerdist (learn to loving interview properly and not say "SOOO COOL!!!" "AWESOME!!!!!" each time your guest finish speaking), and DLM
Those three shows are different in a lot of ways, but Comedy Film Nerds could definitely fit into that universe. I haven't seen it mentioned in a while but it's become one of my favorite shows lately, I love movie talk and the two hosts (comedians Graham Elwood and Chris Mancini) know their movies and are hilarious. If you haven't listened to it in a while the audio quality has improved immensely since the first few episodes, and they've really hit their stride in general. The rapport between the two is great, Graham Elwood is often punchy as hell and Chris usually ends up trying to to transition the show back on track when he spins off too far from the subject. Graham's been on a bad accent kick lately that I can't get enough of.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

brainsforbrains posted:

And last, to the Adam Corrolla podcast-it's poo poo. He was a smug dick on Loveline. He was a stilted charisma-devoid rear end in a top hat on The Man Show(and that's saying something). He's an ignorant cockbag on his podcast. gently caress Adam Corrolla.
What made you want to listen in the first place, because that's basically his entire career. I know a lot of people followed him over from the radio show and Loveline, but if you hated those then you should have known you'd really hate this, as most people consider Loveline to be him at his peak.

Anyway that's some pretty strong hyperbole, it's not nearly that bad. You don't always have to agree with someone to find them entertaining. I wish they'd switch the show over to a weekly format though and just focus on the guests and other strong points of the show, as some of the episodes are a stretch to fill the time, but he seems committed to the 4-5 days a week for some reason.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Civil posted:

He sounds like a libertarian more than anything else. Regardless, he should keep politics off his show, because he's just not good at it, and comes off like an idiot discussing it.

I still like his show, I just tend to ignore most episodes, since he suffers from broken record syndrome. But he is a legitimately funny guy, and his show is one of the better produced ones available.
I'll agree there, political rants have never been his strong point. But he's always been quick and funny and good with the long form conversational style of interview/radio show. The Frank Stallone episode that was mentioned is a great example, and out of the many guests he's had since he started doing this, there have been a lot of good surprises like that.

I still listen to most episodes, even the ones that don't sound that promising often end up having something entertaining, and I'll get hooked again. I think he repeats himself admirably little for someone who's spent many thousands of hours doing the same style of talking into a microphone.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

NecronSchmecron posted:

Adam Carolla's podcast was the first I deleted. When I heard it turned morning zoo-ish I'm glad I deleted it. How is Bald Brian, though? I was kind of :smith: when he slurred.
Also Brian and Anderson are still doing the Film Vault almost every week, I haven't been checking it lately but the guests on the 18th of last month are Graham Elwood and Chris Mancini from the Comedy Film Nerds. The Film Vault show itself is rough in patches but they're great as always, check it out if you like their show.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Rudy Riot posted:

Holy poo poo, listened to the latest WTF at work today and got teary-eyed a couple of times. That was a really great interview with Mike Destefano. Really makes you put poo poo into perspective! Now I'm going to track down their appearances on The Moth.

Was not feeling the first Who Charted or Glitter in the Garbage (the opening was great, but didn't like the character pieces).
I watched Last Comic Standing for about 10 minutes and Mike Destefano was one of the guys I saw. Shows like that so poorly represent a guy like him (or most comics in general now that I think about it), I hated the way they played up his whole "I'm a New York tough guy!" act. But then I listed to WTF and realized it's not at all an act, that's just him being himself, or as much himself as they'd allow him to be on television. I was so happy to hear him talking about the show and how much he hated it.

The second Glitter in the Garbage was hilarious. I haven't laughed that hard in a while, especially the part where the waiter reads back the Barbaras' drink order.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

cioxx posted:

Paul F. Tompkins is a piece of poo poo for ruining Brett Gelman's manpig story with his unfunny riffs. I have no idea why Aukerman allows this. That whole thing didn't sound like a setup.

Dumb episode.
Jesus christ...

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

And lots of off-mic visual comedy that I'm sure was hilarious to watch!

What a line-up though, Patton Oswalt, Sarah Silverman, Scott Aukerman... it was pretty chaotic but I loved it. Edit: Paul F. Tompkins!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Kim Jong Il posted:

It was great to hear iBrain and the acting-off again, although I wish Brett Gelman read his new story.
You mean that story where the entire premise of the bit was that they didn't let him tell it?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Yeticopter posted:

I'm trying to expand on my podcasting horizons but I don't know where to go first.
Well given that everything except Never Not Funny is completely free to listen to, you could just download one of everything that's been mentioned and then listen to the ones you like

Another option that seems to be really popular is to find a podcast you hate and keep listening to it so you can bitch about it nonstop in this thread!

One thing I will say is if you listen to Comedy Film Nerds from the beginning, the audio quality is terrible for the first two or three shows, then gets massively better as they get good equipment. The show has really found its stride now, I love these guys.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Geekslinger posted:

Carolla's new news girl looks an awful lot like his old news girl...

Click here for the full 800x450 image.

I still pick and choose my episodes depending on the guest but I've had quite a few laugh out loud moments over the last few episodes.
Wow I had no idea how similar they were. I was kind of hoping he'd get the raspy voiced girl (someone in this thread or the Loveline one called her a female Dawson), I thought she was great.

Speaking of games on podcasts, today's Carolla show had another episode of Gaywalking, which is an example of a good one. It's easy and fun to follow and play along with. Totally Topical Tivo Trivia is another they do infrequently that's really well put together.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

yancy2010 posted:

Thought it was pretty cool that he even bothered to reply. I found out about CFN through this thread and quickly turned into my favorite comedy podcast, check out episode #40 with Laura House if you've been sleeping on these guys.
Laura House is hilarious, episode 13 is the other show she's done, and it's one of their funniest so far.

They also just had Brian Posehn on. They got into horror movies a little bit, I was hoping they'd go deeper but Graham and Chris don't seem to care for the genre much themselves.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Majorian posted:

I listened to the "Season of the Witch" one and thoroughly enjoyed it, although I was internally yelling, "They're called Plague Doctors, you tards!"

And yes, I will preemptively :goonsay: myself on that.
You can goonsay me too, that bothered the hell out of me. It's a really hosed up and weird part of history and it's too bad it was wasted on a movie like this.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

The Modern Leper posted:

"Yeah, I'm ignorant. And an ignoramus."
Looks like that's Engineer Doug, and the song is called Ignorance. It's towards the bottom of the list: http://www.facebook.com/pages/DOUG-DOES-Music/135593466482010

I had no idea that was him on some of those songs until I went digging. He's pretty good.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

t3ch3 posted:

If you like The Benson Interruption TV show but thought it was annoying that Doug took two hours of material and edited it down to twenty two minutes, you'll like it because it's literally an unedited version of The Benson Interruption.
This sounds fantastic, thanks for the heads up. This is the link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-benson-interruption-the/id416200386

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

shotgunbadger posted:

Yea I subscribe to him and all but I do the same skip and just roll eyes when something hits Marc's "did you perhaps know I too was a comedian long ago?" button and he has to have a rant.
I've always seen that more as two peers connecting on a level that wouldn't be possible with just a random non comedian doing the interview. I can understand not liking the self indulgent intros to Marc's shows (even though I find them endearing, and they're usually very self-aware to the point of being tongue in cheek), but he is a really good interviewer, and a big part of that is he's been through it all himself, and has some great stories to tell that add to the conversation.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Really? Recently he's been branching out a lot, I felt. Getting people he didn't really know and were more at the fringes of the comedy scene: Rollins, Gallagher, Tobolowski, Smith.
Ben Stiller, Carlos Mencia, Dane Cook, Rob Cordry, Bobby Lee, Ira Glass...

Yeah that was a stupid criticism, especially considering he's a comedian so he's going to tend to interview, you know, comedians.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

wafflesnsegways posted:

All of those people are in comedy in some way or another except Ira Glass. And when he branches out to someone like Ira Glass, the episode stands out. He should do more of that.

What's stupid about being sick of comedians? I don't understand why it's a given that the guests have to be mostly comedians. Most of them aren't that interesting.

Maron was on Air America. I don't necessarily want to hear him talk about politics all the time, but I bet he'd be great at interviewing politicians. You rarely hear really personal interviews with politicians, that would be interesting. Lots of other people would be interesting. There are lots of interesting people out there, that's all I'm saying.
OK here's what you said:

wafflesnsegways posted:

But his guests are all the same! They're all his buddies from the comedy scene 15-20 years ago. They all tell the same stories about comedy clubs. Talk to some writers or... anybody else really. Regular people, whatever. He's a good interviewer, but all the interviewees sound the same.
I named some more interviews who weren't that at all to point out how this criticism was stupid.

He had to go through some hoops to interview Ira Glass. He does a show out of his garage, why would you expect him to not interview people he knows and people who are in the same business? He's had writers on in the past as well, so that further invalidates your point. And it's already been covered but what politicians exactly are going to sit down on the show, even assuming he wants to talk about politics, which he's said he mostly stays out of now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Jack Bandit posted:

This is disappointing because I was really looking forward to the Rollins episode.
Just listen to it for yourself, it was fine. I'm not sure what they were talking about because although it was nothing spectacular, it was an interesting interview of an interesting guy.

• Locked thread