Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
j8910
Apr 2, 2002

Strange Matter posted:

Okay, I may have misjudged Comedy Death Ray.

I downloaded a show from July with Paul F. Thompkins, Todd Glass and a character named August Lindt, a german tourist.

That was utterly hysterical.

So, that's 1 for 2. Anyone have any suggestions for specific CDR shows to catch?

Try Episode 46, with Paul F. Tompkins, Ben Stiller, Jeff Garlin and Andy Daly. Andy Daly is the same guy who did the german tourist character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
For the entire archive of past WTFcasts, go here: http://wtfpod.libsyn.com/rss

(not including pay ones, obviously)

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

The Banned posted:

Seeing Marc Maron with the girlfriend tomorrow at Trees in Dallas. I'm pretty excited. Haven't seen a show there since I saw Arcade Fire in late '04 or early '05, can't remember. Any other goons going?

How was it? I've seen a life WTF, but never his stand up (aside from the albums).

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
If anyone downloads the newest episodes of "Comedy and Everything Else" and dismisses it: Know that there's some gems in the backlogs. The episodes with Paul F. Tompkins and Doug Benson are great, along with some others.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

The_Rob posted:

I don't see why everyone hated Jimmy Dore and his wife. They seemed like nice people who were high, and were discussing a movie that doug brought up. Why is that bad?

I thought they were good, too. They're not crazy-funny, but they were amusing and definitely not annoying. I think people are reacting too harshly.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

TransatlanticFoe posted:

What impressions does PFT have left for the Tompkast? As far as I can remember he's exhausted his repertoire from what he's used on CDR.

Mr Brainwash. Or he could think up another one, he's pretty versatile.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

King Lou posted:

They're actually super high level improvisors. I used to see them do Harolds at the UCB NY back in the early 2000's. They've been a team forever. I think in that setting they like to get silly and pun-y.

I thought they were great on CDR. For some reason the line, "I don't have that kind of scratch" is just so funny.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

Bunk Rogers posted:

Tig was nothing compared to that shitheel from UCB who couldn't stick with one voice more than a few seconds. Last week's round of podcasts was rough going.

Are you talking about the live WTF?

j8910 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 30, 2010

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

cioxx posted:

I'm starting to cool towards both Marc Maron and Nerdist as of late.

Nerdist started off great for few episodes but now Chris Hardwick has run out of material and has reached the Jay Leno grab-bag of interviewing process by asking "how they started in the biz," the most boring and pointless conversation 99% of the time. And his show is celebrity-obsessed. Joe Rogan's podcast is more nerdist than Nerdist.

Marc Maron's whining is really grating now, which has passed the point of being funny. I've been skipping his monologue for couple of months now. But his live podcast in Austin was hilarious and bizarre.

I'm pretty much at the same point. Unless either one has a great guest, I don't tune in. I have a huge backlog of both podcasts.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
"pounds of"

EDIT: Google says it's "Fifteen ads and popcorn kernels"

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
Two Pod F. Tompkast extrasodes in two days! It's a christmas miracle!

(plus the new earwolf podcasts, etc. It's getting to be that there aren't enough hours in a day to listen to all the good podcasts.)

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

brainsforbrains posted:

And last, to the Adam Corrolla podcast-it's poo poo. He was a smug dick on Loveline. He was a stilted charisma-devoid rear end in a top hat on The Man Show(and that's saying something). He's an ignorant cockbag on his podcast. gently caress Adam Corrolla.

I think he'd do fine as a artie lange-esque side kick, but his podcast is the pits.

His gradual progression to a more and more vocal right wing proponent is really unfortunate. He, along with Anthony from O&A, needs to just stop talking about politics forever. I guarantee every opinion they have is just from listening to talk radio.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

NecronSchmecron posted:

^^^It's "Lock the gates" I thought. Now that you mention it, I just heard it, and I think it says "Blocked Again". I assume it's a quote from a movie.^^^

It's from "Almost Famous". It was one of Marc Maron's lines, he plays the angry concert promoters who gets mad after the band leaves when they get electrocuted by the microphone.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
I really like Marc's system (that is being commonly adopted) of free podcasts, but with the occasional premium episode. I don't mind paying 2 bucks every for a really-good version of something I listen regularly. I hope it's commonly adopted. It provides an incentive for podcasters to provide an above average podcast, and it gives me a way to give them a reward for their hardwork.

I could just donate, but money is tight if I can get away with it, I won't. It's like a reminder. I like to feel like I contribute, without money being a barrier the medium in general.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

NotWearingPants posted:

Still waiting for the post-Jets-Patriots Bill Burr Monday Morning Podcast.... C'mon Bill you big pussy.

I'm glad I'm not the only one hitting F5 on that. I wonder what he'll say. He didn't even mention football last week.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

The Banned posted:

Don't want to poo poo up this thread any more than I previously had, but if any of you are still curious about the tale of Dan Nainan, I made an update to my blog:

http://dearnotabby.tumblr.com/post/2944268339/i-know-everyone-is-tired-of-this-poo poo

I'm embarrassed I let him get to me like that, but whatever. I already clicked send.

At this point, I think Marc should let Dan on WTF because he's loving crazy. I get the feeling we'll be seeing news stories about him in the future ala the famous John 3:16 guy.

At first, I felt contempt for him. Now I just feel pity. He'll probably never be happy.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

Yeah I had That Darn Cat! at the exclamation point clue. Literally can't think of another movie with an exclamation point in the title.

The Informant! has an exclamation point, as Doug mentioned every week for like six months when it was released.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
Holy poo poo, Michelle from Walking With Michelle is a goon!

(So is Tom Green. Famous goons.)

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
Ok, after listening to today's WTF I'm convinced Maron is reading this thread.

Mark, can you give a subtle signal if that's true? Slip in a 'goon' or a 'somethingawful' into your monologue?

(If I'm right, that's some pretty good psychological detective work.)

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
I haven't heard the NNF episode, but he gave (in good fun) some poo poo to James Lipton when he was on "Inside the Actors Studio" and I thought it was great. As opposed to people who just play along, and actively questioned some the bullshit that goes on. It was sorta psuedo-aggressive but playful. I assume the NNF was in the same tone?

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
Speaking of comedians we don't get, does anyone find Reggie Watts funny? I at least see why people like Jimmy Pardo, if I don't find him that great. Reggie Watts, I don't even get that he's telling jokes. All his songs are lame.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

Teenagers posted:

ugh, only two more episodes of uyd left until they end it :(

Whoa, I'm only like episode 98. Why are they ending UYD?

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
Have they ever talked about how they met and/or their sobriety?

(Beyond just a passing mention for the sobriety part)

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

The_Rob posted:

But but but... I thought he died!

Did anyone listen that episode to the end? You miss important information when you just fast forward to the plugs section.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
Oh poo poo, Patton and Andrew Daly? Monday can't come soon enough!

(However, when are they gonna bring back Paul F. Tompkins? He usually does a show ever three to five weeks, and it's been seven weeks. What the dilly-o? DON'T MESS WITH SUCCESS!!!)

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

Has anyone heard the Mencia on Maron podcasts? I need to know it's worth the 3 bucks to buy them.

I found the first online, linked from the wikipedia page on Marc Maron.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/wtfpod/WTF_-_EPISODE_75_-_CARLOS_MENCIA.mp3

There's a followup episode, where some comedians refute Mencia, but the link to that file is dead.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
I want to like Eardrop and want it to work, but honestly it's just not cutting it. :(

EDIT: great day for podcasting with WTF w/ Conan and CDR with Patton and Andy Daly, though.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

There's an ASSSSCAT podcast?!?!

http://www.ucbcomedy.com/podcasts/asssscat/rss

Yer welcome!

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
There were some stories earlier in this thread about him (Besser) acting like a obnoxious tyrant during imrov classes. I'm also interested in hearing King Lou's Besser story.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
This makes me like Matt Besser a lot less :( Oh well, hopefully he's calmed down since then.

That whole post is pretty pathetic and over reactionary (wtf? SNL can't defend itself?) as is all the people posting "I've got your back!". Dude, you're not in turf war in the Bronx. Oh well, the internet was newer and stuff back then, and people were dumber. Still, this is going to make me like Besser's comedy less.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
I started listening to Burr's podcast a couple of month's ago. I think he takes a little bit to get into to, but then he's really funny. I enjoyed both his DLM and SKC appearance.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
If you're on the fence about Bill Burr, check out his latest podcast (April 18th, http://www.billburr.com/podcast/). Pretty much I don't think I've seen him be funnier.

j8910 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 24, 2011

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

Majorian posted:

Sounds like I should give him a chance. I'm just getting tired of standups whose entire act boils down to, "Hey, I'm from Boston/New York and I love/hate the Red Sox and now I'm going to rant about how political correctness is for gay people!" It's like the New England version of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour.

That said, Bill Burr may not be like that. He just kind of seemed like that to me on DLM.

I know what you're talking about, but he's better than that. Honestly, I think he kinda overcompensates by playing up a "working class" vibe a little. He graduated from Emerson. I don't know, at first I was bit turned off by what you described, but he grew on me and his podcast is on my list of favorites. Your mileage may vary.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

Eltoasto posted:

I got excited when I saw Tim was on it but wow, that may have been the least funny CDR I have heard in the 6 months or so I have been listening.

Completely disagree. I had kinda got bored of T&E, so I had low expectations but I thought the episode was pretty funny.

He's parodying this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJWS6qyy7bw

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
I looked at the website for the UCB theater in LA: The weekly live Comedy Death Ray show has also been renamed "Comedy Bang Bang".

So, the most probable reason for the name change is that Scott and BJ Porter don't get along, or something, and that Scott is now going solo.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
I know the name of CDR/CBB shouldn't matter, but all I can think about is "Man, that podcast I used to like is now going to suck." I'm sure I'm overreacting, but it doesn't help that the first episode with the new name is a clunker. :(

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

Brekelefuw posted:

CBB may have run out of ideas if their idea of an hour of comedy involves a drunken rollerblading christmas tree.

Gonna jump on the disagreement bandwagon.

(Although I still loving hate the new name)

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
I liked Jesse Thorn a lot more before I knew what he looked like :(

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
I'm assuming everyone here listens to "This American Life". There's a podcast (Kapser Hauser) that did a really funny parody of the show:

First parody

And another one

I had to turn it off because I was laughing like a lunatic in a public place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

Tom Scharpling tweeted that Marc Maron will be in studio for tonight's Best Show. Should be interesting considering a lot of people think Maron and Scharpling have some sort of beef

On the last Best Show, Scharpling was pretty complimentary towards Maron and also has been on his show, so those people are probably wrong.

• Locked thread