Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
I used to really like Carolla's podcast and lately I find myself just skipping it every day unless he has some really amazing guest -- which is very rare. I didn't make a conscious effort to stop, he's just boring. It's the same thing every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soru
Apr 27, 2003

Godspell posted:

I'm having the same problem but what are you replacing it with?

Like the guy above me, Nerdist, Doug Loves Movies, and Comedy Death Ray.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

Conrad_Birdie posted:

And man, I totally don't understand how some people can't find the characters on CDR funny....

The cake boss is both the most amazing and most ridiculous character ever.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The_Rob posted:

It was right after Mel Gibson's son Pilot died, and Sarah Silverman said it was weird that John named his son after a hobby of his. Scott Aukerman then said what he should have named his son men's assholes.

The setup was that it's weird he named his son after something he really loved.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

My favorite is when Would You Rather spirals completely out of control into these insane situations almost entirely unrelated to the actual questions.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

bananasinpajamas posted:

Bill Maher on Nerdist today. No clue how that will go.

I think it was a good episode. Maher was funny and interesting and not trying to be especially controversial.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

Here's what I don't get: why does Kevin Pollak talk to the camera for like 10 loving minutes at the start of every one of his chat show episodes? Jesus.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Would You Rather from the CDR episode with Robb Corddry, Lake Bell, and the Cake Boss is one of the greatest things I've ever heard.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

JiveHonky posted:

Comedy is subjective, I thought the TJ Miller episode of Doug Loves Movies was very entertaining and would recommend it to anyone even children.

I thought it was funny too, mostly because Doug was honestly pretty mad at him.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

So.. what is actually good about that podcast? You didn't list anything.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

goldrush posted:

PFT can be pretty brilliant. I like the Cake Boss and the John C. Reilly impersonations. But he can also be very irritating at times. For example, the latest Comedy Death Ray. I hate that loving French character he does - Mr. Brainwash or something like that? Just not feeling that one...

It's a littler funnier if you've ever seen the documentary Exit Through The Gift Shop (which you should).

soru
Apr 27, 2003

Tig Notaro is definitely the least funny "comedian" I've heard on CDR.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

Civil posted:

This was the first time I was able to enjoy CDR. I usually give up 5 - 10 minutes in if the episode isn't doing it for me.

If you do that, you will always miss Would You Rather, which is usually where the show goes from good to amazing.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

King Lou posted:

The new CDR weds releases are throwing me off but todays episode was pretty funny. James Adomian is usually pretty entertaining.

Janeane Garofalo was a lot more tolerable than I expected her to be. She seemed pretty normal.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

Majorian posted:

And yeah, the Largo bits don't really work just as poorly-recorded audio clips without visuals.

I thought the Largo bit on the 3rd episode where he's fake drunk dialing a stranger was amazing. But of course playing prerecorded audio is perfect for a podcast.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

King Lou posted:

This episode is dragging for me. Just low energy in general. Birbiglia is everywhere right now!

I liked him on CDR (mainly because the other guests were funny), but his episode of Nerdist is the first one I've ever stopped early. It was just boring.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The CDR bonus episode today with Zach and PFT is amazing.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

I'm listening to the WTF episode with Dane Cook, and I have to say it's definitely raised my opinion of him. I still don't love his comedy, but it's good to see he's a normal human being underneath there who seems like fundamentally a good guy.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

big business sloth posted:

Anyone wanna let me in on which CDRR eps are just classic and really good? All the ones I've heard so far have been pretty good, but some have been better than others and it's tough to gauge by names alone.

My favorite is episode 67 with Robb Corddry, Lake Bell, and the Cake Boss (Paul F Tompkins). The Would You Rather at the end of that one is amazing.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Jimmy Dore's wife is intensely unfunny on the new DLM.

You mean their passionate discussion of what's wrong with education in America wasn't hilarious?

soru
Apr 27, 2003

Anyone subscribed to Hodgman's Today In The Past podcast now has the first episode of his new one: Judge John Hodgman (the ep is Chili: Soup or Stew?).

soru
Apr 27, 2003

That's going to be an amazing episode, since Doug went crazy for Scott Pilgrim too.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The new Doug Loves Movies with Edgar Wright, Michael Cera, and Aubrey Plaza is fantastic.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

BinaryW00kie posted:

I don't know if anyone else caught The Benson Interruption premiere last Friday night, but man was it not very good. It was funny in some parts, but the cutting and editing was just terrible. It just made me appreciate DLM as a much better format for Doug Benson and friends.

On the podcast they were saying it was something like a 90 minute show, cut down to 21 or 23 minutes for TV. So it makes sense that the editing would be bizarre. I have no idea why they'd do it like that in the first place.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

King Lou posted:

Tig Notaro continues to do her focus stealing nonsense. I wish she would stick to her storytelling and not trying to be funny off the cuff since that consists entirely of trying to derail other peoples stories or her own inside jokes with herself.

I agree. The new Doug Loves Movies with her was good, but it was more good in spite of her. Her entire thing seems to be, "I'm too cool for EVERYTHING."

soru
Apr 27, 2003

Nemo posted:

I like Todd Barry's material, but his constant snorting into the microphone when he makes himself laugh is grating.

I softened on Todd Barry when Scott pointed out how he was giggling constantly through the Sandler's Thanksgiving Song.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

I also really like WTF and I also skip the first 10 minutes every time.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

j8910 posted:

Speaking of comedians we don't get, does anyone find Reggie Watts funny? I at least see why people like Jimmy Pardo, if I don't find him that great. Reggie Watts, I don't even get that he's telling jokes. All his songs are lame.

Reggie Watts is awesome :)

soru
Apr 27, 2003

t3ch3 posted:

I think Alan Rickman may be my new favorite Adomian character.

His finale on guess the misheard lyric was amazing.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

Man, UYD has grown on me like a thorn in my mind. I am so smitten with this show.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

NotWearingPants posted:

This is what bothered me the most. They, particularly Gervais, treated Chris Rock like some kind of scrub. They wouldn't let him talk.

That's definitely not true. Not at all. I think you watched the wrong show.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The most important thing Jesse Thorn should do is shut the hell up and let me listen to Hodgman uninterrupted.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

They should rename it How Did This LITERALLY Get Made?

soru
Apr 27, 2003

WoG posted:

Don't worry, man, we're not alone. I just tend to not listen to podcasts I don't like, rather than whining and whining and whining and whining about them every single goddamned time they come out.

Tig is awful and it's shocking that she's so well liked by real comedians. She's the opposite of humor. She is a comedy vampire who sucks the funny out of those around her until they are sad and grey and dead.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

Listening to PFT ramble is pretty much the best part of his podcast.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

Did you say something worthwhile or just call it awful?

soru
Apr 27, 2003

So not only did you go to their house and poo poo on them, but then you expressly called out the moderators. Poor poor you.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

Like most things in life, it's not what you say but how you say it.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

SKULE123 posted:

Also the Paul F. Tompkins + Rob Corddry + Lake Bell episode.

This one. Without a doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soru
Apr 27, 2003

Is it okay to like UYD and also CBB? I don't see how liking one precludes the other.

• Locked thread