Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
For fans of Ricky Gervais' podcasts I can't recommend highly enough checking out Pilkipedia, which is exactly what it sounds like, and grabbing their old XFM Radio shows.

The format is a little different, they play music that whoever recorded the shows edited out, but I actually kind of prefer them to the podcasts now. There's a higher energy, and the dynamic between Karl, Ricky, and Steve seems fresher and less antagonistic. (For those that say they think Ricky and Steve are mean towards Karl, I direct them to the radio shows, because it's much more obvious that they're just three guys ribbing each other, and Steve gets it just as bad, if not worse, from Karl.)

Witness the birth of Monkey/Knob News, the slow and truly amazing evolution of Rockbusters, countless insane stories from Karl's childhood, the horrible gifts he's given to Suzanne over the years (value pack of condoms being my personal favorite), Steve's worst attempts at wooing ladies ("I thought the bow-tie made me look urbane, like a character in a P.G. Wodehouse novel"), and more high-pitched laughing from Ricky than you can stand.

Plus for people like me who were just fiending for more Karl when the rate at which they put out podcasts slowed down, the XFM shows are half an hour to forty minutes longer, and there are like ninety of them. :cheers:

(To any mods: I don't think this is a files issue, because the radio shows aren't for sale anywhere, and both XFM and Gervais himself have been aware of Pilkipedia forever, but if you disagree I'll gladly take this post down)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Edit: Guys, I wanna know who your favorite CDR character is?! I think I'd have to give it to Lil' Gary - Those episodes stand up incredibly well, and no matter how many times I hear them, Lil' Gary cracks me up.

I would pay untold sums of money to hear a conversation between Tom Lennon's "Lil' Gary," and Paul F. Tompkins' "Killroy." Untold sums.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!

COMPUTER SECRETS posted:

Lil' Gary is the best, followed by Ice T. I cannot get enough of his failed business ventures. I hate that food critic they've had a couple of times though.

I'm gonna have to go Bob Ducca for second-best CDR character http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F1Ax51UdZE

"Scabies . . . Rabies . . . Mickey-Rooney-Sugar-Babies."

Uatu The Lurker fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 8, 2010

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

But in such a way that he's "a little too nice". I guess it's just my opinion and all, but he's not funny and he's very Eddie Haskell-ish to me. I think people like the idea of Jessie Thorn more than they actually like him, and he knows that and plays it up. He's like grandma's favorite little boy. Perhaps I'm overly cynical, but I don't feel I'm totally alone in this idea. Jordan seems like a nice guy and if anything Jessie treats him like a whipping boy.

Yeah I think he's a little too twee for me. Like the whole "America's Radio Sweetheart" thing isn't actually funny in any way, it's just sort of "Ooh, aren't I quirky!"

Also:

:smug: as gently caress.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!

Narwhale posted:

As a fan, I can understand the criticism. There are times during JJGo where Jesse gets stuck on an opinion or something and it brings the humor down a bit. He's definitely more of a host than a comedian, so if the guest isn't funny or doesn't interact well with Jordan it can keep the episode from being great. It's still a rewarding listen for me, but as of right now I wouldn't say it's in my top 3.

I have a similar feeling about Scott Aukerman, really. He's got a lot of really good writing credits, but I just don't find him to be terribly funny, or a terribly good broadcaster. The quality is really dependent on the guest. You want a boring rear end 20 minutes, check out the first part of the CDR episode with Nick Thune.

Plus, I loving can't stand most novelty songs, and he is just loving in love with them. His greatest asset seems to be that he just happens to have really funny friends.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!

BarryMantlesnorks posted:

Only downside is Little Gary and Tig Notaro aren't in it enough.

Lemme just go ahead and fix that for ya.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!

bananasinpajamas posted:

Just finished with this; basically the best thing ever.

"Beach Boy Drummer John Stamos will be piloting the helicopter!"

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
The other non-PFT CDR guest that needs more love is Andy Daly. The one with PFT, Todd Glass, and him as "August Lindt" is one of my favorite recent episodes.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!

caveman thug poo poo posted:

I've been checking everyday, at least once a day, and finally my clicks have led me to a new Pod F. Tompkast!

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

Also Little Gary is back in the new Comedy Death-Ray, which is up on the Earwolf site today.

When I get fired for not doing any work today, I'm holding both you cocksuckers responsible.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
My apologies Wise Old Shitashi, you are truly the only Komedy Kocksucker in this scenario.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!

Narwhale posted:

I miss the Best Show :(.

Yeah, what's the deal? I know he was talking about quitting a few weeks ago, but I assumed he was joking . . .

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
This may be a little off-topic, but is anyone else having trouble registering to the Friends of Tom message board? (Scharpling's Best Show forum)

I signed up, and got an email saying that an admin would have to approve the account, and I never heard anything back. I tried to different e-mail addresses to no avail.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Plenty of great comedians go on that show and are able to improvise and react without resorting to their material.

Yeah I sure can't stand it when professional comedians "resort to their material."

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!

Bo-Pepper posted:

Paul F. Tompkins

God knows I love him, but I've heard Paul F Tompkins do the same gag where somebody asks him a question and he'll say "I have time for two more _______ related questions," as though he's holding a formal press conference, on like five different podcasts.

It's still always funny.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!

Bo-Pepper posted:

I feel like once you do a movie with a convicted rapist, you don't get to play the superior card anymore.

Yeah I'm not the worlds biggest Gibson fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm not really sure how this is any worse than working with a guy like Tyson if that's the stance you're gonna take.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!

Bro Dad posted:

dear god

:smugdog: UNLIMITED POWER OUTLETS :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

WTF is a semi-serious interview show. It's not meant to be Crazy Wacky Fun Hour.

For those of you saying how much you hate Maron - have you ever actually heard his stand-up? Because it's much more "jokey" than his podcast intros, and it might warm you up to his material.

• Locked thread