Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Honey Roasted posted:

Also, somebody has to mention the goon podcast, Lou Reads the Internet for You! Lou goes to different forums and reads selected posts. Another one that probably sounds mundane at first, but is actually hilarious. The best parts are when he has to stop in the middle of a post and laugh at how ridiculous it is. http://loureads.com/

Thanks for the shout out, HR. It's something I love doing and I'm glad someone out there is enjoying it. I did get my first hate mail recently but it was from a 15 year old girl whose thread I read on the sneeze fetish forums. I'm actually recording stuff now for some kind of Orkin (the bg killing people) videos right now. When I'm done I have some more dumb forums to record. Who knew the world of russian bride seeking was so depressing? I hope weekend web picks up again, too.

Thanks again for the plug. You too all you other pluggers ITT! I really appreciate it! I made some magnets for fans of the podcast. I'm running low but PM me and I'll send you one. The only caveat is that I need you to send me a picture of where you put it so I can post it on the blog and facebook fan page.

Personally I listen to CDR all the time. It's aces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

What are these pies posted:

King Lou! I love you and can't wait for your new podcast(s)! Sadly I don't have PMs. But you're fantastic!

Thanks Mr. Pies! Glad to hear it.

There is a contact form on the site, too. I should have mentioned that. Or you can email me at loureads @ the gmails.

I'm finally back from my vacation so I'll probably try to record something this week. Watch the skies!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Jet Jaguar posted:

The Sklarbro Country podcast is probably my favorite at the moment, it's hilarious and even when I don't follow the sport they're talking about, they still make it engaging.

Plus, a couple of Dueling Carsons now and then.

I've never been a fan of theirs but I thought they did okay when guesting on CDR. I tried listening to their podcast but man that twin thing gets boring fast. Individually they are fine but since thats a rarity I'm removing them from my list. I'll stick to CDR, Pod F Tompkast and Doug Loves Movies. I just listened to my first DLM yesterday was pleasantly surprised. Wish I could see it live but it's on the wrong coast.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

MasterColin posted:

Only seen one person mention this... :nws:Nobody Likes Onions:nws:. Very offensive in almost every way you can think of. Anti-Gay, Anti-Women, Racist and everything else. Please understand this before listening and hating me.

What an insanely long intro which will turn off almost everyone. 3 minutes of nonsense before they get to the show... After listening to it for a while I've decided it's not for me. Its like a morning zoo in search of a radio station. AND ITS 2 HOURS LONG!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I made a formal request on the CDR facebook page that there be no more "Weirder Scott" songs played... ever. Boy, that is apparently an unpopular opinion there. People were jumping all over me! I almost cried!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

NecronSchmecron posted:

Let me guess; "IT'S FREE, WHO CARES!!!" and "THEN STOP LISTENING!!!!"?

More like "YOU HAVE MADE A LIFE LONG ENEMY!" and "gently caress YOU."

All of those weirder scott songs are too long. I listen most of the music on the show as long as it doesn't go on too long.

EDIT: The new CDR that was released today is pretty funny. Nick Kroll is hilarious.

King Lou fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 15, 2010

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

DangerDummy! posted:

Is Tig Notaro actually a comedian? I've only experienced her on random podcasts and she's always goddamn death.

I agree with you. She is a good story teller but on CDR she steps all over the funny. She interrupted Bob Duka's aliment list so many times. I'm not saying she's not funny but on CDR she brings things to a halt on a regular basis by questioning the reality of whats happening or making snide remarks about what people say.

The Taylor Dane story was great.

Also the latest episode of Lou Reads is up if you care. http://bit.ly/RussianBride

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

DangerDummy! posted:

What is the Cake Boss thing you all keep talking about? I feel like the specific source was mentioned earlier, but I can't find it.

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/cake-boss/

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/episode-56-paul-f-tompkins-david-higgins
6/4/10
Episode 56 - Paul F. Tompkins, David Higgins
While Scott always gets interesting guests on the show, CDR Radio gets its first television mega-star in the Cake Boss himself, Buddy Valastro.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

The new CDR weds releases are throwing me off but todays episode was pretty funny. James Adomian is usually pretty entertaining.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

soru posted:

Janeane Garofalo was a lot more tolerable than I expected her to be. She seemed pretty normal.

Well she no longer drinks and wasn't being a shrill political freak. That goes a long way to make her seem less annoying. Plus being next to andy Dicks hysterics makes anyone seem mellow. I've actually met Ms. Garofalo in a social setting and she was rather pleasant. That that was when she was drinking so it was a long time ago.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Todays CDR is loving hilarious. Bill Cosby-Bukowski is awesome!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

The latest CDR is great. I really like Andy Daly's crazy old man character.

"It's your father with the face of your mother and a bear hand and a hook for the other hand and in the bear hand is a knife!"

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

caveman thug poo poo posted:

Mike Birbiglia is on the new CDR. I just clicked play so I don't know how it is but I'm sure it's good.

If you haven't heard Birbiglia's stand-up, do yourself a favor.

This episode is dragging for me. Just low energy in general. Birbiglia is everywhere right now! (Over exposed book tour)

EDIT: Wow... This episode is really sucking actually. I mean too much music, reading out of the Birbiglia book and then Besser's terrible John Lennon bit really wearing on me. Also the whole Besser as Zuckerberg just doesn't have any punch. So not great.

King Lou fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 14, 2010

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

DangerDummy! posted:

I really don't like Besser on CDR. I'll give him all the credit in the world for being in UCB and all, but any time I've seen or heard him solo he's been pretty terrible. His Kanye East (ahahahaha it's a Jap version of Kanye West!) schtick during one of the Cyber Thug takeover shows was really loving painful. Cyber Thug's not one of my favorites anyway, which is weird since I'm a big fan of Jerry Minor, but that one was especially bad.

I actually posted my feelings on the CDR facebook page and was surprised to not get get buried with hateful responses. MY FEELINGS!!!

I try not to comment on Besser too much because a friend of mine was the subject of his wrath in the NY Comedy scene a while back. (Basically said anyone who performed at this show he considered insulting to his friends on SNL was banned from performing at the UCB NY) He also had a really bad rep when I was taking classes at the UCB. I've heard enough horror stories about him from his former students to be guarded when he's performing. I actually liked the Kanye East thing because it was so over the top. However I didn't really get the Zuckerburg thing. It was just kind of random.

In good news a NEW CDR popped up today as if to make up for the last one!
Episode 76.1 - Zach Galifianakis, Paul F. Tompkins, Dillon Campbell

Paul F Tompkins & Scott Aukerman both tweeted about it last night I guess. Hooray.

Also the latest episode of Lou Reads is up if you want to hear my dulcet tones.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Satire Forum Mom posted:

The bad rep Besser has is kind of warranted and kind of overblown. He does take improv/comedy very seriously and is demanding of students (where he comes off like a dick if you have sensitive feelings), but he's not an ogre. He's just a comedy hardass with high standards who is a bit of an eccentric.

And I loved Kanye East, too. It was one of those "so dumb it's great" things.

Besser may has softened. I have never taken a class with him. But he was famous for priding himself in making at least one student cry or quit his class when I was taking classes. I've been coached by many of his former students who spoke about the classes as being ordeals. I was involved in the show he decided to point his anger and UCB banning at and it was not pretty. It was almost as dumb as when Armando & Ali started the PIT and people were banned from performing there by the UCB. Anyway Besser's rage basically ruined the show which was called (Saturday Night Re-Written) and made the guy who ran it decide to quit comedy. It really broke his heart. So I'm biased.

DLM was pretty drat funny today as was CDR. A great day for comedy!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Econosaurus posted:

Lou, where do you work that you can record this stuff there?

I work at a University where I have a lovely office where my desk faces an open door. Sometimes I am here alone for hours on end... nude...

I'm actually very lucky that I have the time to do it here. It doesn't take all that long to record. Maybe an hour or so. That doesn't include having to read so much garbage on the forums I go to. Luckily the internet here isn't censored! I usually record from home though.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

I don't know if this has been posted, but here's Bob Ducca's ailments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHIegpSmIyw

That is a great bit although it really highlights what I hate about Tig Nataro's wrench throwing comedy stopping (which I already harped on.)

Episode 34 is one of the best. The one where John Hamm and John C Reilly have a Hamlet-Off. Also has a lot of great cameos.

Episode 42 with the insane family of soviet acrobats who have crazy sex is really bananas.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Homeless Wonder posted:

Tig Notaro's appearance on WTF was actually decent, probably because she didn't try to be funny & just told some interesting stories about hurricane Katrina hitting her home town.

Yeah, this is my feeling about her. She's a decent, engaging story teller. However, she doesn't play well with others. Tending to throw roadblocks up for her own amusement. I mean among comics there is always some level of loving with each other but its usually not full on derailing of your bit.

A really amazing example of this the CDR with Jeff Garlin and Andy Daly. Jeff Garlin is just riding Andy Daly. They are making all this stuff up and Jeff keeps trying to make Andy recall all the fine details of his improv'd life backstory then challenging him to remember them later in the show. An amazing amount of information is generated and Daly remembers everything. It's pretty amazing.

Episode 46: Ben Stiller, Jeff Garlin, Paul F Thompkins and Andrew Daly.

EDIT: I've really been enjoying catching up with the WTF podcast. I like that his fans give him a really hard time when they write in.

King Lou fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 23, 2010

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

The 1st Cyberthug was the best. He had the music in the background, it was way more interesting. "Yo, no disrespect but I don't respect you."

The 2nd one was ok but I missed the whole take-over-y aspect.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

The_Rob posted:

How can Brett Gellman be on CDRR. He had a second lifetime ban!

in all seriousness the new CDRR looks like it will be a great show.

We asked for Jerry Minor and good sir Scottrick provided.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I was laughing on the streets of Manhattan like an idiot today listening to that episode of CDR. I mean talk about all over the place! Love the suicide house guys and the ghost boy thing. Even liked the Monster gently caress song but I feel like they did that bit before? Anyway, Ep 77 of CDR is awesome.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

It blows my mind that Miles Archer is a white dude: http://www.earwolf.com/guest/sean-dickerson

Yeah, I would have never guessed that. He sounds a lot like Charlie Murphy. Color my ears color-fooled I guess. Great episode.

King Lou fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 27, 2010

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Are you serious? You honestly think people didn't like the episode because she is a woman?

He has forum cancer for a reason.

I didn't think the DLM with the high teacher segway was that bad. It was interesting to hear the other side of the story as told by a high school teacher. It didn't have the energy of a live show but it wasn't awful. The Lenard Maltin Game was actually entertaining. I had no idea what movie they were talking about for the 15 person guess. Not the best episode but not unlistenable. I have kids of school age so that may have tempered my opinion.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I just downloaded the latest DLM and Sklar Bros. They both have Nick Swenson I'm getting a little overloaded with the obvious promo-tour rotation these guys are doing. It was Berbiglia the week before on every show. Nick, I get it, you have a new show on Comedy Central.

Still looking forward to the shows just kind of would like to not have to listen to the same dudes on 3-4 sets o shows a week.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

The newest Pod F Tompkast is out today. I loving love that guy. I could listen to him aimlessly amuse himself for hours. It's a pretty solid episode and includes Cake Boss and Gary Marshall. I just finished it on a long walk. It's great.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

bananasinpajamas posted:

Brett Gelman and Jon Daly are loving terrible at improv and I loving love them for it. Their horrific puns are the best thing on the planet.

They're actually super high level improvisors. I used to see them do Harolds at the UCB NY back in the early 2000's. They've been a team forever. I think in that setting they like to get silly and pun-y.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Hahaha! Hey Lou, where do you work where you can get away with reading grouphug.us with co-workers around? "And this post reads: I just love fisting my own asshol... oh hey, what's up man?"

Gigantic University. On Mondays I have the office to myself so sometimes I record there. The only issue is that my office has a giant panel that I have to leave open so people are walking by and they can look in and ask me questions about where the bathroom is or pick up poo poo they've reserved.

In other news I did the VO for this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mT2eSqdCTM and I have a session booked in an hour record for Cuisinart. :woop:

Also I'm going to be offering to record peoples answering machine messages again this year.

Here's some samples
http://www.tindeck.com/listen/xevn
http://www.tindeck.com/listen/prwx
http://www.tindeck.com/listen/ztbr
http://www.tindeck.com/listen/jbdx

So if'n you want me to say something on your answering machine/cel phone then go hogwild and contact me. I do it for the fun of it.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

NecronSchmecron posted:

Ah, ok, that's a better description of it and I might just check it out. I guess The Podcast Eating Contest is UYD-esque and I love the hell out of that (SOMEONE GET THEM TO STOP GURGLE BURPING INTO THE MIC!).

I may be wrong but I thought Jesse Thorn was a co-host on YLNT. He's from the podcast Jordan Jesse Go! and that slowly became more and more not my thing mostly because it just dragged.

Jesse Thorn is the host of The Sound of Young America and also Jordan Jesse Go! JJG is more of a side project. TSOYA has gone from interesting podcast to Public Radio show. Jordan Jesse Go! is only entertaining if you REALLY like Jesse and like to hear him prattle on and on about stuff. Especially his love of hip hop and his scorning of people over the age of 30. (That was a while ago. He may actually be 30 now himself) Jordan Morris is a TV personality on the Fuse network (if that still exists) and can be funny. I used to really like JJG but I stopped listening after a while.

Also I'd like to chime in and say that the WTF with Adam McKay was enlightening. I love to hear how people found their way to comedy super-stardom.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Sock The Great posted:

I'm new to CDR and really enjoyed Pastor Rhe, while skipping pretty much the entirety of the urban thugs episode. Perhaps I'm missing something, but 'What Am I Thinking' doesn't seem like it could be funny, ever.

I think 'What Am I Thinking', while not hilarious, is entertaining. It helps if both people are really on the same page and one person is not totally high. There have been some funny ones in the past. Of course the best ones are when the people finally agree on the same thing at the same time. But that happens rarely on CDR. If someone is purposely spiking it then it extra sucks because its obvious and basically fucks the other person.

I really liked the Halloween episode. It was super childish. Especially all the cockenstein jokes. I also enjoyed Jerry Minor constantly shouting down the ear wolf app. Over all it may have been too long and that freestyle rap part could have been eliminated but whatever.

The only ghost rule is that GHOSTS RULE!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jesse Thorn is a gigantic douchebag.

Dude. Throw out some of your PM's I can't respond to your phone message request.

Also, I used to find Jesse's utter amazement at the stars he gets to come to his house pleasing. Now I'm bored of it. I am amazed he was able to turn that podcast into such a giant enterprise. I actually have considered going to MaxFunCon to see if it was actually Max Fun...

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

SKULE123 posted:

Let him appear on WTF.

There's a pretty convincing example of a Nainan mass e-mail on the AST forums, which closely matches the tone, language, and d-baggery of the e-mail Marc was reading.

http://aspecialthing.com/forum/f27/wtf-marc-maron-podcast-14671/index56.html#post183166

Wow. That was pretty interesting. That guy is so bitter! He has a point about the respect thing but his comedy isn't really very good. Maron should have him on and see what the gently caress is wrong with him. Although he sounds delusional about his comedy skill. He has a successful set that works but he doesn't appear to be quick on his feet. This is me judging with almost no exposure. HOW WILL IT PLAY OUT!?!!1

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Well thats weird.... Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it... stupid podcasts....

EDIT: Can you tell me where it happened exactly and how you were listening to it? I'm listening to it now and haven't noticed it yet...

King Lou fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 11, 2010

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Conrad_Birdie posted:

It's happening at 17:58 for me. You've just said "Subway's Jared" and chuckle about it. Immediately back to the theme after that.

I'm listening to it on my iPod, it's an older version, but this has never happened with any other podcast. Also, I'm a subscriber (I have no idea if this has any bearing on the problem, but I thought I'd just give you as much info as possible).

Edit: Same thing is happening in my iTunes Library for "Lou Reads" as well.

Huh, My copy that downloaded from iTunes seems fine and the one I played on the website also seems fine. The weird thing is that I apparently cut out Subways Jareds Question to people... I don't know why but I skipped to DreadCthulu's post instead... (oh now I know why... I didn't read it because it was just a bunch of questions...)

If anyone else has this issue please let me know. I'd try deleting and re-downloading I you want to try that.

Weirdness... Thanks for subscribing, though! :woop:

King Lou fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 11, 2010

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Any of you guys voting in the podcast awards?

http://podcastawards.com/

I have a feeling that Lou Reads is going to sweep the "Religion Inspiration" category.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Gooch posted:

Yeah, I don't think I'll check out that pcast. The title sends up a flag. Kinda like how Mencia always used to tell people how edgy he is. Then that panana joke just sealed the deal.

Yeah, it just seems like corny offensive gags served up in slow pitch softballs. The website is strictly NSFW and full of super offensive imagery.

:nws: http://www.sickandwrongpodcast.com/SWLOLchrists/SWLOLchrists.htm :nws:

Priceless comedy gems...

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

What happens when people stop talking comedy podcasts and start getting real? Whoa...

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Admiral Goodenough posted:

So what is the Leonard Maltin game?

Basically Doug picks a genre of movie that has been reviewed by Leonard Maltin and asks people to guess the movie by how many cast members names they need to identify it. The players make bids on how many names, in reverse order of billing, they need to guess properly. If they are super confident they bid negative names and have to name movie as well as the cast themselves.

Then there is the Most Dangerous Leonard Maltin Game. Thats when Leonard Maltin sets you free in the woods and hunts you for sport.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

RightClickSaveAs posted:

CDR Thanksgiving episode is up! Todd Barry is always great and also I saw this:
This should be good, these guys are awesome.

I really enjoyed how put out Todd Barry was. I mean he always comes across that way but he seemed really annoyed by the two other guests. Sometimes I get annoyed when the guests are begging for the show to be over but for some reason Todd's reaction to the other guys not so awesome improv was perfect.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I've started recording my answering machine messages for people. Here's the 1st one.

Click here to listen to LouReads-AnsweringMachine-SamScully2010.mp3

PM me if want in on the dumbness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Tig Notaro continues to do her focus stealing nonsense. I wish she would stick to her storytelling and not trying to be funny off the cuff since that consists entirely of trying to derail other peoples stories or her own inside jokes with herself.

• Locked thread